Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
LIVE ALBUM TALK: LA Friday
Date: January 8, 2016 10:25

LA Friday

Download version: Universal Music / Google Music
Release date: April 2, 2012

LP / CD / DVD version: Eagle Vision
Release date: November 17, 2014

Recorded at Inglewood Forum, Los Angeles, California, July 13, 1975

Track List:

Honky Tonk Women
All Down the Line
If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud
Star Star
Gimmie Shelter
Ain't Too Pround to Beg
You Gotta Move
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Happy
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Fingerprint File
Angie
Wild Horses
That's Life
Outta Space
Brown Sugar
Midnight Rambler
Rip This Joint
Street Fighting Man
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy for the Devil

What are your thoughts on this live album?

The full show here: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 10:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: LA Friday
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 8, 2016 10:35

>>>>What are your thoughts on this live album?

No thoughts, just grooving and dancing.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 8, 2016 10:41

This show has my all time favourite live version of Gimmie Shelter. Absolutely stunning. I think it has the worst version of Happy, too (or Nijmegen 2007 must be worse..).

All in all a very good show, and the sound is excellent here. Mick is his usual 1975 self, but notice that the ballads and the more quiet stuff is sung flawlessly, so he had it in him smiling smiley

Nice release!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:14

DandelionPowderman
This show has my all time favourite live version of Gimmie Shelter. Absolutely stunning. I think it has the worst version of Happy, too (or Nijmegen 2007 must be worse..).

All in all a very good show, and the sound is excellent here. Mick is his usual 1975 self, but notice that the ballads and the more quiet stuff is sung flawlessly, so he had it in him smiling smiley

Nice release!

Agreed. One of my favourite live albums and my favourite version of Wild Horses just for starters. Love the energy level of this show.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:43

You cant get a better Stones-live-album than that, imo. It´s perfect in all its imperfection, raw, pure and powerful. Shine A Light was my favorite live album until LA Friday came out. Shine A Light is marvelous, but LA Friday is simply wonderful.

Good to have it on CD and DVD.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 12:11

This is an interesting one; the '75 and '76 tours had long been favourites of mine in aesthetics; the band looking at their most decadent and druggy. Very cool, and how many rock bands have modelled their entire look on the Stones in '75!

However, appreciating the live side of that was tough; I had Paris '76 on VHS and a not-great quality copy of LA '75 - the sound was muddy, it seemed incredibly slow moving compared to hte more dynamic '72 show I had at the time on VHS. And of course..Mick's "singing". Jesus H. Christ, Mick's "singing"^ Was he taking the p*ss?

'LA Friday' official boot released by the band was a revelation; sure, Mick's singing does detract a bit but musically, I loved it. Keith and Ronnie were amazing; Keith's rhythm guitar is just so good, and Woody adding such great fills, riffs and solos to everything. When people talk of the 'ancient art of weaving', these tours are perfect examples. The DVD release was even better, finally a great quality copy of this show, to replace the two previous versions I had, and it is everything I had hoped for; I love it.

The '76 tour was almost as good, I thought the 'Black and Blue' songs fit brilliantly into the set, 'Hot Stuff' for example a highlight of those shows. They sounded much more vibrant and vital than the IORR tracks on the '75 tour.

As an album, 'LA Friday' is pretty essential; the extended band sound wonderful, musically this is the Stones at another 70s peak (besides Mick's singing which I have gotten used to and he is sublime on the slower tracks)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: January 8, 2016 12:26

DandelionPowderman
I think it has the worst version of Happy, too (or Nijmegen 2007 must be worse..).

While I still prefer the 1976 tour it was a blast to finally get this show in great quality. It was the only vault release which I really felt excited for.

Talking about Nijmegen 2007 there was a similar ''incident'' in Perth 2014, go to 55:59 to see what I mean:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 8, 2016 13:31

A great release .Rocking Ronnie Wood first foray into the greatest rock and roll band in the world tour and Ronnie is simply amazing .Blazing his way around the fingerboard of his six string assault and the above mentioned ancient art of weaving so wonderfully with the Riffmaster himself none outher than our beloved KEEF .What a sonic blast of pure joy when i listened to this release !!!!!!!!! I would be remiss if i did not mention the great Billy Preston who shines throughout !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 15:39 by TheGreek.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 8, 2016 13:46

TheBlockbuster
there was a similar ''incident'' in Perth 2014, go to 55:59 to see what I mean:

Apparently the technical problems with his "connection" took Keith out of his concentration.
Otherwise I hear a song that makes me happy. Nothing like the glorious trainwreck on LA Friday.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 8, 2016 13:47

marcovandereijk
TheBlockbuster
there was a similar ''incident'' in Perth 2014, go to 55:59 to see what I mean:

Apparently the technical problems with his "connection" took Keith out of his concentration.
Otherwise I hear a song that makes me happy. Nothing like the glorious trainwreck on LA Friday.

I think he meant that it was similar to the catastrophy that occured during his intro riff in Nijmegen 2007 smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 8, 2016 13:50

DandelionPowderman
I think it has the worst version of Happy, too (or Nijmegen 2007 must be worse..).

Don't remind me about bloody Nijmegen. What a tragedy that gig was. From the hottest day of the year to a tropical thunderstorm in a few hours. The only thing that made it worthwhile was stopping by Amsterdam on the way there! smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2016 13:53

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Don't remind me about bloody Nijmegen. What a tragedy that gig was. From the hottest day of the year to a tropical thunderstorm in a few hours. The only thing that made it worthwhile was stopping by Amsterdam on the way there! smoking smiley

You probably didn't even notice anything out of the ordinary because of Amsterdam smoking smiley

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 8, 2016 14:45

DandelionPowderman

Nice release!

Amen to that!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 8, 2016 15:40

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

You probably didn't even notice anything out of the ordinary because of Amsterdam smoking smiley
yes i imagine it was bliss all around

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2016 16:27

Another album I'm not gonna buy...Zappa did the right thing with his 2 boxes with totally 20 double-albums released as 'Beat the boots'....I'm not listening to them either smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 8, 2016 16:48

Nothing compares to this: Stones lonely at the top. The best live recording ever. IYCRM/GOOMC, GS, YCAGWYW, MR incredible. Even the Happy-mess is charming or the chord-flaw at the beginning of Star, Star. SFTD - the best version I know. All five concerts in LA should have been released.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 8, 2016 17:03

great stuff, great version of the warhorses. One of my faves.
jeroen

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:22

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Yes, I did. My feet turned to bloody jelly!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:33

I don't own this (yet) and cannot access the link above (thanks anyway)
I've been listening to the LP
'Love You Live'
credits from 3 different gigs, not LA '75 here,
mostly '75 and '76 but a lot of same songs listed here on LA Friday.
Would anyone care to comment more differences between these 2 releases?
(and oh yes, I love this sleaze funk 70's era)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:39

havent got it, the concert wasnt sold in dvd format on british dvd system which i think is a disgrace by the stones as they are actually a british band.

shame on them, a huge own goal if ever i saw one, same reason i havent got several others of a live nature recently released.

im also no for buying a dvd player which converts to playing anything, why should i, ive been buying rolling stones records, tapes, cd,s, videos and dvd,s for decades, and now they do this, basically preventing people like myself from updating my collection.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:42

Ronnie is surprisingly superb

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:47

buttons67
havent got it, the concert wasnt sold in dvd format on british dvd system which i think is a disgrace by the stones as they are actually a british band.

shame on them, a huge own goal if ever i saw one, same reason i havent got several others of a live nature recently released.

im also no for buying a dvd player which converts to playing anything, why should i, ive been buying rolling stones records, tapes, cd,s, videos and dvd,s for decades, and now they do this, basically preventing people like myself from updating my collection.

Mine plays on a British DVD system!
It's a region 0 disc which should play on all systems worldwide as are all of the recent vault releases.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 20:20 by Deltics.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:57

35love
I don't own this (yet) and cannot access the link above (thanks anyway)
I've been listening to the LP
'Love You Live'
credits from 3 different gigs, not LA '75 here,
mostly '75 and '76 but a lot of same songs listed here on LA Friday.
Would anyone care to comment more differences between these 2 releases?
(and oh yes, I love this sleaze funk 70's era)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 8, 2016 19:37

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

yes i imagine it was bliss all around
Keith though was doing alright on swh that night.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 19:37

The guitar and rhythm sections of the band were playing at or near their peak in the band's history. That's the nicest thing I can say about it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 8, 2016 20:31

Stones50
Ronnie is surprisingly superb

How surprising, is he not typically superb?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 8, 2016 20:51

The best version of Tumbling Dice is iherere

Date: January 8, 2016 23:34

Deltics
buttons67

Mine plays on a British DVD system!
It's a region 0 disc which should play on all systems worldwide as are all of the recent vault releases.

Indeed!

But Hyde Park 1969 isn't region 0. It's old-fashioned NTSC for some reason. I have to watch that one on my computer.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 8, 2016 23:44

DandelionPowderman

Indeed!

But Hyde Park 1969 isn't region 0. It's old-fashioned NTSC for some reason. I have to watch that one on my computer.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that one. It was only officially released in North America hence it being region 1.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 04:23

I love this release but my la Friday DVD includes a different show on the accompanying cd than the DVD. So we have 2 shows of th LA 75 run . Has anyone figured out what dates these are from I remember there being much confusion about it the DVD being Sunday we thought but called Friday. And what date is the accompanying cd from. Thanks

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home