Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 34
President Obama visit Cuba 21/22 March 2016
Posted by: DrSnuggles ()
Date: February 18, 2016 18:39

As I just got this from the news

[edition.cnn.com]

May it be a coincidential with a rumoured Stones Gig in Havana around this time ?

Re: President Obama visit Cuba 21/22 March 2016
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 18, 2016 18:41

Maybe!

I thought about this possibility when I heard the news on the radio.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 18:58

He's a damn Commie! HE TERK OUR JERBS!!

President Obama to visit Cuba the morning after The Rolling Stones show!!
Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 18, 2016 21:55

Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama will become the first sitting U.S. President to visit Cuba in 88 years, when he visits Havana in March, White House press secretary Josh Earnest announced Thursday.

The visit, which is scheduled for March 21-22, is another big step by the administration in ongoing efforts to normalize diplomatic relations with Cuba.

The President announced the news via Twitter on Thursday.

"14 months ago, I announced that we would begin normalizing relations with Cuba - and we've already made significant progress," he tweeted. "Our flag flies over our Embassy in Havana once again. More Americans are traveling to Cuba than at any time in the last 50 years."

Re: President Obama to visit Cuba the morning after The Rolling Stones show!!
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:05

......IF the Rolling Stones show takes place in Havana..!!!!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:11

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:23

Maybe Marco Rubio will accompany him.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:35

grinning smiley No politics allowed on IORR.

Date: February 18, 2016 22:49

Show ain't gonna happen so this has nothing to do with the Stones.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:12

The Show is ON!!

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 19, 2016 01:21

good you can keep him!

Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 12:32

A Wall Street Journal article from a few weeks ago may explain the reason the Stones are shipping containers from the Netherlands to Havana:

[finance.yahoo.com]

"The logistics around cultural visits are daunting. Americans doing business in Cuba must carefully navigate U.S. and Cuban laws to avoid violating the embargo. They bring their own supplies, from forklifts to paper clips. One Cuban film executive said there are just six “not so bad” trucks for transporting movie equipment in the whole country—and maybe a dozen more in worse condition—and any major Hollywood production that comes to the island will not have enough vehicles to shuttle all the Cuban crew members who don’t own cars. Artists run out of paint, paper and canvas. Electrical equipment for concerts is dangerously outdated. Nobody can find nails."

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 19, 2016 12:57

Interesting, GG24!

Meanwhile, german media is caching up on the rumours. German newspaper 'Morgenpost' says, that the band wants (sic!) to play a gig there on March 20. Headline is: First the Stones, then Obama (Erst die Rolling Stones, dann Barack Obama).

That's in no way anything near the official announcement, but it seems more and more likely, that Bjornulf can soon remove the 'Rumoured' behind that date, IMHO, hehehe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 13:00 by waterrats.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2016 14:16

Sweet. The Stones making history again. I'm for it. Perhaps Mick will make a cigar joke. Plus they could do a photo shoot with classic cars. Plenty of opportunities here.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 14:22

I hope the Stones will play "Indian Girl" in Havana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 14:23 by 1962.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: February 19, 2016 15:04

Rollin' Stoner
Nobody told me Monica Lewinsky was here !

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: February 19, 2016 19:03

As I have my hotel and flights booked in Havana from the 20th to 22nd I am seriously now thinking of just going to Havana anyway, concert or no concert. Let's keep in touch on the board as I will be traveling alone and it would be fun to meet up with some fellow IORR people in Havana. I have rooms booked at the Hotel Inglaterra> Anyone else there?

Date: February 19, 2016 19:12

sarahunwin
As I have my hotel and flights booked in Havana from the 20th to 22nd I am seriously now thinking of just going to Havana anyway, concert or no concert. Let's keep in touch on the board as I will be traveling alone and it would be fun to meet up with some fellow IORR people in Havana. I have rooms booked at the Hotel Inglaterra> Anyone else there?
I'll be there. my e-mail is chrisandpam.egan@btinternet.com. I'm staying at the Casa Buena Vista, Calle no.408, Edicio America from the 17th until the 24th.
chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:25

I'll be in Havana from the 18th to the 23rd.

I am traveling alone too, so it would be nice to meet up with some IORR's. My last show was in Milwaukee June 2015.

Wendy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-28 05:14 by LovingCupola.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 20, 2016 15:50

There are no such brands as McDonald’s, Starbucks, Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Burger King, United Airlines etc in Cuba. However you will find Iberia, Melia, Air France, Air Canada, Aeromexico, Interjet, Cubana..., and soon some US oriented brands. Hopefully they will be able to keep their own identity even if the big brands are moving in soon. This spring there will be 20-30 flights per day from USA. Any business person do see this opportunity. And... anyone interested in culture and music should pay Cuba a visit. Now. Remember Havana was like Las Vegas in the 50's, before the revolution.

In short, I am looking forward to visiting Cuba next month.

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-20 15:55 by bv.

Date: February 20, 2016 15:51

LovingCupola
I'll be in Havana. Casa Arelis, Lealtad # 207, Concordia y Virtudes from the 18th to the 23rd.

I am traveling alone too, so it would be nice to meet up with some IORR's. My last show was in Milwaukee June 2015.

Wendy
Definitely, there should be a few of us knocking around ! chrisandpam.egan@btinternet.com

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 20, 2016 16:08

bv
In short, I am looking forward to visiting Cuba next month.

And will you be taking in an local - or other - musical acts while there? Just wondering... smiling smiley

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: February 20, 2016 17:11

If you have enough time in Cuba, highly recommend to visit Trinidad. Very quiet and beautiful city.

There is another UNESCO world heritage site Cienfuegos city near Trinidad, but I prefer Trinidad.smiling smiley

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: February 20, 2016 23:24

LovingCupola
I'll be in Havana. Casa Arelis, Lealtad # 207, Concordia y Virtudes from the 18th to the 23rd.

Wendy

I'll be travelling alone too if I go - it would be great to meet you. I am staying at the Hotel Inglaterra. E-mail me at sgcub@comcast.net

Are you going to either of the Mexico City shows?

Cheers!

Posted by: pnobannon ()
Date: February 21, 2016 00:58

I traveled to Havana last October (2015) on a Cultural Contrast "Culinary" tour and it was absolutely first class. I had the time of my life and I recommend them without hesitation. I signed up for their Rolling Stones Concert trip at the beginning of December. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: February 21, 2016 07:59

I was at the Milwaukee show too, had a great time at Summerfest. If the Havana show goes ahead I'll be flying from the UK spending a few days in Milwaukee. Any idea when scheduled flights to Cuba begin ?

Date: February 21, 2016 15:57

Moored next to the Fort St. Georges at the Kingston Wharves in Jamaica is CMA CGM's Jamaica-Cuba shuttle ship, Max Champion. The Max Champion should be departing for Mariel, Cuba (Havana's shipping port) on the 23rd, arriving on the 26th with the Rolling Stones containers.

The Max Champion's shipping schedule:

[tinyurl.com]

Date: February 21, 2016 16:06

welshphil
I was at the Milwaukee show too, had a great time at Summerfest. If the Havana show goes ahead I'll be flying from the UK spending a few days in Milwaukee. Any idea when scheduled flights to Cuba begin ?

The flights won't begin before summer, the airlines have until mid-March to submit applications to the Department of Transportation for a route.

Right now you would have to book a one way to Miami, NYC, Toronto, Mexico City, Panama, etc. and then a flight from one of those cities to Havana. There are charter flights flying out of New York and Miami, I think you'd have to go through one of US travel agencies specializing in Cuban travel to book a seat.

Date: February 21, 2016 17:24

GlimmerGirl24
welshphil

The flights won't begin before summer, the airlines have until mid-March to submit applications to the Department of Transportation for a route.

Right now you would have to book a one way to Miami, NYC, Toronto, Mexico City, Panama, etc. and then a flight from one of those cities to Havana. There are charter flights flying out of New York and Miami, I think you'd have to go through one of US travel agencies specializing in Cuban travel to book a seat.[/quote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 17:28 by welshphil.

Date: February 21, 2016 17:32

Thank you for the information re flights . was hoping to see The Who in Milwaukee onMarch 21st as well, Will probably fly via Toronto from The UK...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home