Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Track Talk: Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man, The
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 7, 2015 11:17

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man, The

Written by: "Nanker Phelge" (Rolling Stones)

Recording date: 12 May 1965
Recording location: Chess Studios, Chicago, USA

Line up:

Vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitar: Keith Richards
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Harmonica: Brian Jones
Piano: Ian Stewart

The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man

Well I'm waiting at the bus stop in downtown L.A.
Well I'm waiting at the bus stop in downtown L.A.
But I'd much rather be on a boardwalk on Broadway

Well I'm sitting here thinking just how sharp I am
I'm an under assistant West Coast promo' man

Yeah, yeah

Well I promote groups when they come into town
Well I promote groups when they come into town
Well they laugh at my toupee, they sure do put me down

I'm a necessary talent behind every rock and roll band

Yeah I'm sharp, I'm really, really sharp
I sure do earn my pay sitting on the beach every day, yeah*
I'm real, real sharp, yes I am
I've got a cravat and a seersucker suit, yes I have
Here comes the bus
Uh-oh, I thought I had... Where's my dime? I know I've got a dime here somewhere...
Uh-oh, I'm so sharp (you won't believe how sharp I really am
Don't laugh at me, I'm no phony, I'm no phony...)**

*extra indecipherable line follows on the London Singles Collection (1989)
** additional lines on the London Singles Collection (1989)

First released: B side of Satisfaction (US)
Release date: June 5, 1965
Label: London Records 9766

Producer: Andrew Oldham
Engineer:
Ron Malo

Note: Info taken from TIOMS and NZentgraf

Re: Track Talk: Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man, The
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 7, 2015 11:21

medium-quality filler. mick is very good on the track and the lyrics are ok. musically i never found it interesting.

Date: December 7, 2015 11:30

It's a rip off of Fannie Mae, but I have always loved this one. Maybe for sentimental reasons? I learned it on guitar and played it with my band. It was a joy everytime I played that lick together with the harp player.

I think they play really well on both these tracks. I like the beat, and the lyrics of TUAWCPM are hilarious smiling smiley

Here's the original:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 7, 2015 11:50

A great song. One of the first examples of Mick and Keith getting their claws out to pen a sneering put down - many would follow on the next album Aftermath.

It's got a wonderful swinging rhythm with Charlie really pounding his drums to give the song great momentum - almost like a truck rolling along an LA freeway.

Fabulous riff from Keith but highlight for me is that harmonica from Brian - it's definitive and a lick he was a master at playing in the early days.

The song was written about a real promo jerk working for London records I believe who was assigned to work with them when they visited the States.

Date: December 7, 2015 11:58

Silver Dagger
A great song. One of the first examples of Mick and Keith getting their claws out to pen a sneering put down - many would follow on the next album Aftermath.

It's got a wonderful swinging rhythm with Charlie really pounding his drums to give the song great momentum - almost like a truck rolling along an LA freeway.

Fabulous riff from Keith but highlight for me is that harmonica from Brian - it's definitive and a lick he was a master at playing in the early days.

The song was written about a real promo jerk working for London records I believe who was assigned to work with them when they visited the States.

Like I mentioned above, they had the time to both nick the riff, as well as practising it smiling smiley

Date: December 7, 2015 12:11

I'm shocked - the Stones nicking riffs?? God no. How could they do such a thing. winking smiley

Date: December 7, 2015 12:16

grinning smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 7, 2015 14:01

Didn't the original recording feature the line "I break my ass every day" on the fade which were re-recorded ?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 7, 2015 14:09

Fannie Mae with a Jagger lyric. Simply great.
I also love the Stones version of Fanny Mae and also the original Fanny Mae.

Date: December 7, 2015 14:10

From tioms.com:

*extra indecipherable line follows on the London Singles Collection (1989)
** additional lines on the London Singles Collection (1989)

«The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man was a good-natured jibe at George Sherlock, the London Records promo man who accompanied us on our first American tour. The track is based on Buster Brown's 1960 hit, Fannie Mae, which also inspired the Beach Boys' Help Me Rhonda».

– Bill Wyman

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 7, 2015 14:20

Another Smash Hit from the Stones ' best album ...6/5 in short.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 7, 2015 15:14

Certainly no classic but I've always loved that song!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 7, 2015 17:58

Great oldie Stones song.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 7, 2015 18:09

This is great of course. I love almost everything vintage Stones and especially the Chess recordings. The band was a tight union back then and everybody was doing his best, they were young, hungry and unstoppable.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2015 18:58

Classic rockin' bluesy tune early Stones style.
In a similar vein as Off The Hook - nice tribute to their heroes and idols.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 7, 2015 19:32

Silver Dagger
The song was written about a real promo guy working for London records

Why call George Sherlock a jerk?! He was most likely no jerkier than any other under-assistant promo man.

I love this track in every way.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 7, 2015 22:02

nice catchy oldie with great singing by Mick ... like Spider & Fly, it should have been performed for Stripped too

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 8, 2015 03:07

Charming little ditty from a bygone era.

Drew

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 8, 2015 03:56

One of those 'lesser' tracks by the early Stones which isn't among their greatest achievements, yet essential in understanding their roots. While the song is blues-based, it had by this time become evident that they had to come up with more original material to keep going. By this time the Stones recorded this song, The Beatles were releasing 'Help!' and 'Yesterday', which only showed that Jagger / Richards were in need to come up with something original. They did, thankfully, with Satisfaction, and the rest is history.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 8, 2015 08:59

I wssnt more than seven or eight when i fell in love with this little number. It is one of those songs that made me think they were much older, and American ( and somehow not really "white" unlike the very British Beatles ). I studied the back sleeve pics of the members and tried to figure out why they didnt include the old blues man. Can i get a witness must be a duet with that unknown singer. Well done Mick.

Date: December 8, 2015 09:41

with sssoul
Silver Dagger
The song was written about a real promo guy working for London records

Why call George Sherlock a jerk?! He was most likely no jerkier than any other under-assistant promo man.

Bejesus girl. Why call him a jerk? What is this - charity month? Why the hell not, eh?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2015 09:55

Like mentioned here, not probably the most memorable tune from the era, but still an interesting little curiosity from the times the band was strongly heading into originality. It is a Nanker Phelge composition, meaning that it is either a blues pastishe or a jam, and in this case the first-mentioned. Like Jagger or Richards has mentioned, they had difficulties in writing material suitable for the r&b style of the Stones, and if count those early pop ballads out, the results were something like "West Coast Promotion Man", the only originality having in them was writing new lyrics. Even though they succeeded marvelously in that task (of writing original sounding r&b numbers) with four huge singles - "The Last Time", "Satisfaction", "Get Off of My Cloud", and "19th Nervous Breakdown" - I would claim that it took them all the way until BEGGARS BANQUET that they really learned to write original, mature blues-based material, with a voice of their own. The experience gained in the experiments during the 'pop period' of 1966/67 wqs a necessary learning process for that, me thinks.

The band sounds fine, like the best British r6b band should, in "West Coast Man" but in the long run the most interesting feature is the lyrics, which Jagger delivers aptly. Not very different from "The Spider And The Fly", the old blues story-telling tradition is transformed to fit to the world and lives of a young rock and roll band, making clever observations. Also an early and rather rare but strong instance of Jagger singing from a stance that surely is not his, but someone else's. Are there actually so clear instances of that in any other Stones songs? Usually there at least is a bit of Jaggerian perspective there, but here is not. No any kind of references into sex or difficult relationships here either...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 10:02 by Doxa.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 8, 2015 11:38

Also worth noting that the versions originally released on singles in the UK and the USA were different.

The USA version fades a little later and there's an extra line sung/spoken by Mick.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 8, 2015 11:39

CaptainCorella
Also worth noting that the versions originally released on singles in the UK and the USA were different.

The USA version fades a little later and there's an extra line sung/spoken by Mick.

See above in this thread..

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2015 12:00

Silver Dagger
with sssoul

Bejesus girl. Why call him a jerk? What is this - charity month? Why the hell not, eh?

Bemoses, boy - didn't your mama teach you not to kick a promo man when he's down?!
He's wearing a ssseersssucker sssuit, for mercy's sake - give him a break! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 8, 2015 12:03

He probably found his dime eventually...

Date: December 8, 2015 12:12

Doxa
Like mentioned here, not probably the most memorable tune from the era, but still an interesting little curiosity from the times the band was strongly heading into originality. It is a Nanker Phelge composition, meaning that it is either a blues pastishe or a jam, and in this case the first-mentioned. Like Jagger or Richards has mentioned, they had difficulties in writing material suitable for the r&b style of the Stones, and if count those early pop ballads out, the results were something like "West Coast Promotion Man", the only originality having in them was writing new lyrics. Even though they succeeded marvelously in that task (of writing original sounding r&b numbers) with four huge singles - "The Last Time", "Satisfaction", "Get Off of My Cloud", and "19th Nervous Breakdown" - I would claim that it took them all the way until BEGGARS BANQUET that they really learned to write original, mature blues-based material, with a voice of their own. The experience gained in the experiments during the 'pop period' of 1966/67 wqs a necessary learning process for that, me thinks.

The band sounds fine, like the best British r6b band should, in "West Coast Man" but in the long run the most interesting feature is the lyrics, which Jagger delivers aptly. Not very different from "The Spider And The Fly", the old blues story-telling tradition is transformed to fit to the world and lives of a young rock and roll band, making clever observations. Also an early and rather rare but strong instance of Jagger singing from a stance that surely is not his, but someone else's. Are there actually so clear instances of that in any other Stones songs? Usually there at least is a bit of Jaggerian perspective there, but here is not. No any kind of references into sex or difficult relationships here either...

- Doxa

Another great post from Doxa. thumbs up

Posted by: terry ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:44

A great track from one of my favourite stones albums out of our heads.

Date: December 8, 2015 15:45

with sssoul
Silver Dagger
with sssoul

Bemoses, boy - didn't your mama teach you not to kick a promo man when he's down?!
He's wearing a ssseersssucker sssuit, for mercy's sake - give him a break! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 8, 2015 17:45

Nanker Phelge don't write songs like that anymore.......

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home