Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Stones Live Album Ratings
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2015 19:57

Given the plethora of live albums they've released pre-Google Music/Vault (although no where as near as many as some other artists/bands) it's a wonder anyone bothers to buy them. But... we're suckers and there's usually something good, if not entertaining, on their live releases.

5 stars, 0-10, however...

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT 1/2
This album hasn't aged well for me. When I got it I was a bit mystified at it. The only track I thought was worth listening to was Lady Jane. Bunk. But I understand it's reason for existence - they were on fire at the time.

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! *****
Although unfortunately it was tweaked with overdubbed vocals on some songs (Jumpin' Jack Flash was much better from GIMME SHELTER than it is on the live album) and guitars, overall it's simply astounding. It's the kind of album that's criminal to interrupt when listening to it. Live With Me, the two Chuck Berry tunes, SFTD's guitar soloing, Street Fighting Man, the lurch of Honky Tonk Women and of course, Midnight Rambler.

LOVE YOU LIVE **1/2
The Mocambo side, of course. Honky Tonk Women is outstanding, Fingerprint File is... interesting. To a point. You Gotta Move is good. IORR is good. Star Star is... too bad the vocals are overdubbed. I like the difference with SFTD. Brown Sugar and JJF are hilariously bad.

STILL LIFE ***1/2
Love the sound on this one. It's aged well in some aspects. As much as I can't stand Imagination, on STILL LIFE it's awesome. Under My Thumb and Time Is On My Side are outstanding. Twenty Flight Rock is hilarious (and killer) considering the SOME GIRLS-EMOTIONAL RESCUE-TATTOO YOU ride that was going on with this tour. In some ways it's very underachieving considering the amount of songs they performed on the tour.

FLASHPOINT **
Start Me Up is really good, even with Ronnie's overdubbed solo (the Atlantic City PPV performance is my all time fave - they should've used that one). Sad Sad Sad is decent. Miss You is interesting. Paint It Black is decent. The rest of it stinks. Too clean and a bit boring.

NO SECURITY ****
With exception to The Last Time (which is a bit of a bore), Respectable (borrrrrring) and Live With Me (kind of chunky in a weird way although a bit better than the 1996 B-side), it's fantastic. Not a bore and snore. Even with Memory Motel being ruined by that little toad Dave Matthews (it's decent but it would excellent if he wasn't in it) and Respectable taking up space for something better it's a good live album. Great sound. Flip The Switch is fantastic. Hell, even You Got Me Rocking is good. Love Thief In The Night too. Waiting On A Friend is really good, even with the studio trickery done to it. Gimme Shelter is outstanding and Out Of Control is an excellent album closer. 4 BRIDGES TO BABYLON tracks on it is nice as well.

Horrible cover.

LIVE LICKS **
Difficult to give this one an overall rating because disc 1 is horrible and disc 2 is decent... kind of. It sounds great, the mix is nice, but the editing is just horrendous. Brown Sugar comes tearing out of the speakers but it's chopped down so bad from editing that the only way it's almost acceptable is because of how Rocks Off got its balls chopped off. Some really poor choices for songs on this release: Angie, IORR, Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction - horrible. Street Fighting Man, as good as they played it on that tour, well, they could've used the Madison Square Garden version that's on FOUR FLICKS from the PPV.

Monkey Man is great. It's nice that Neighbours made it on but it's not very good, with or without the obvious guitar overdub. CYHMKnocking... nah. Beast Of Burden is good (way better than the 1982 B-side). Rock Me Baby is boring. When The Whip Comes Down is OK but a bit flaccid. Worried About You is decent.

Keith's tunes are the best: The Nearness Of You is incredible. You Don't Have To Mean It is great.

Just a mind boggling release. Shitty libretto, too. They must've used PhotoHack for it. With just even a remote sense of interest this could've been a much better release.

SHINE A LIGHT
Awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 23:22 by GasLightStreet.

Re: Stones Live Album Ratings
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 20:12

Great reviews, nice to have it all in one place.

Ya-Ya's, the El Mocambo side of LYL, and Still Life are for me the best (in that order). I've always felt the El Mocambo side of LYL was worth the price of the whole double album, and that the 3 other sides are unlistenable (although I do love the intro to Honky Tonk Women with Fanfare for the Common Man).

I seem to be the only one on this board who doesn't like Stripped, but I'm willing to live with that.

Date: November 25, 2015 20:12

Live in England
Marquee
Brussels
LA 75
Texas 78
Hampton
Leeds
Tokyo
Toronto Phoenix

?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 25, 2015 20:56

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT 4/10

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! 10/10

LOVE YOU LIVE 10/10

STILL LIFE 11/10 (where it all started for me)

FLASHPOINT 1/10 (the only point is for factory Girl)

NO SECURITY 6/10

LIVE LICKS 3/10

SHINE A LIGHT 5/10

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:15

Ya Yas magnificent
Love You at least half good, best ever IORR
Still life, love this era, the ragged backing vocals, fun cover versions
No Security. Underrated pretty much and yeah good to have the Bridges songs especially OOC

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:24

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT --- 2.5
GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! --- 5.0
LOVE YOU LIVE --- 4.0
STILL LIFE --- 2.0
FLASHPOINT --- 3.0
NO SECURITY --- 3.5
LIVE LICKS --- 3.5
SHINE A LIGHT --- N/A (don't recall, need to listen to it again)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:42

delete

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 11:41 by 1962.

Date: November 25, 2015 23:23

LeonidP
GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT --- 2.5
GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! --- 5.0
LOVE YOU LIVE --- 4.0
STILL LIFE --- 2.0
FLASHPOINT --- 3.0
NO SECURITY --- 3.5
LIVE LICKS --- 3.5
SHINE A LIGHT --- N/A (don't recall, need to listen to it again)

DON'T! A zero rating is too kind!

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 05:34

GasLightStreet

FLASHPOINT **
Start Me Up is really good, even with Ronnie's overdubbed solo (the Atlantic City PPV performance is my all time fave - they should've used that one). Sad Sad Sad is decent. Miss You is interesting. Paint It Black is decent. The rest of it stinks. Too clean and a bit boring.

SHINE A LIGHT
Awful.

I agree. The Atlantic City PPV is my all time favorite too. I can't believe it still hasn't been released officially. A perfect night. Very focused band. Loved what they did with John Lee. Smiles all around!

Shine A Light: pretty good set list, but I listened to it once when it came out, and that was it. That says it all. I remember digging the C&R with Guy. He was on fire! But I am surprised that nobody seems to like the album. I don't remember hating it. Why is it that you find it awful? Why is it the worst Stones live album?

Once I asked Chuck Leavell about Live Licks, and he said he never listened to it. He sounded really uninterested in live releases from the Stones. I told him how they left out his solo in HTW. His reply was: you see, that's why I don't bother listening to it...

I am always surprised when I read about the overdubs on live albums from the Stones. And even more surprised that KR goes along with these overdubs. I will never understand why some bands want people to think that this is how they actually sounded on stage. It's a lie.

Out of Control: This seems to be a popular one among people here. I have no idea why... It feels forced, clearly written to impress, sewn, stitched together. W-r-i-t-t-e-n. Lame. All you do is wait for the chorus to hit. And then you go: Now I'm out Oh out of control Now I'm out Oh out of control Oh help me now... And in between there's NOTHING. Even the chorus is one big boring, straight forward shout. It just feels like one of those songs that Justin Bieber would be served with by people who's job is to write catchy tunes. The worst, laziest, dumbest songwriting from the Stones ever. Feels like plastic, and smells like teen spirit, if you know what I mean... This is the worst Stones song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2015 06:26

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT[/b] 3/10

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! 9/10

LOVE YOU LIVE 5/10

STILL LIFE 5/10

FLASHPOINT 3/10

NO SECURITY 4/10

LIVE LICKS 3/10

SHINE A LIGHT 2/10

Date: November 26, 2015 06:44

frenki09
GasLightStreet
SHINE A LIGHT
Awful.

I agree. The Atlantic City PPV is my all time favorite too. I can't believe it still hasn't been released officially. A perfect night. Very focused band. Loved what they did with John Lee. Smiles all around!

Shine A Light: pretty good set list, but I listened to it once when it came out, and that was it. That says it all. I remember digging the C&R with Guy. He was on fire! But I am surprised that nobody seems to like the album. I don't remember hating it. Why is it that you find it awful? Why is it the worst Stones live album?

Bad performance, bad singing, bad sloppiness. It's just bad. The soundtrack of a band limping along. Sure, the set list says one thing but the playing completely undermines it.

frenki09
Once I asked Chuck Leavell about Live Licks, and he said he never listened to it. He sounded really uninterested in live releases from the Stones. I told him how they left out his solo in HTW. His reply was: you see, that's why I don't bother listening to it...

I am always surprised when I read about the overdubs on live albums from the Stones. And even more surprised that KR goes along with these overdubs. I will never understand why some bands want people to think that this is how they actually sounded on stage. It's a lie.

Out of Control: This seems to be a popular one among people here. I have no idea why... It feels forced, clearly written to impress, sewn, stitched together. W-r-i-t-t-e-n. Lame. All you do is wait for the chorus to hit. And then you go: Now I'm out Oh out of control Now I'm out Oh out of control Oh help me now... And in between there's NOTHING. Even the chorus is one big boring, straight forward shout. It just feels like one of those songs that Justin Bieber would be served with by people who's job is to write catchy tunes. The worst, laziest, dumbest songwriting from the Stones ever. Feels like plastic, and smells like teen spirit, if you know what I mean... This is the worst Stones song.

Well, it's slightly interesting - but not as interesting as a lot of other tunes. I get your point but at least they threw a new song on the live album.

Date: November 26, 2015 10:21

Got Live If You Want It: 7/10
Get Yer Ya Yas Out: 9/10
Love You Live: 8/10
Still Life: 7/10
Flashpoint: 7/10
No Security: 8/10
Live Licks: 4/10
Shine A Light: 3/10
Live At The Marquee: 5/10
Live In Leeds: 8/10
The Brussels Affair: 9/10
LA 75: 6/10
Live In Texas: 10/10
Hampton: 9/10
Roundhay Park – Live In Leeds: 9/10
Live In Tokyo: 8/10
Light The Fuse – Toronto Phoenix: 7/10
Sweet Summer Sun: 6/10
Sticky Fingers Live: 8/10

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 11:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 26, 2015 10:28

Sweet Summer Sun???

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 26, 2015 10:53

Got Live If You Want It: 4/10
Get Yer Ya Yas Out: 8/10
Love You Live: 6/10
Still Life: 5/10
Flashpoint: 3/10
No Security: 5/10
Live Licks: 6/10
Shine A Light: 3/10
Live At The Marquee: 6/10
The Brussels Affair: 9/10
LA 75: 7/10
Live In Texas: 8/10
Hampton: 10 (or 15)/10
Roundhay Park – Live In Leeds: 8/10
Live In Tokyo: 5/10
Light The Fuse 6/10

Date: November 26, 2015 10:56

Blueranger
Sweet Summer Sun???

Updated winking smiley

Date: November 26, 2015 11:05

Wow. I'm shocked to see Ya-Ya's scoring below Hampton/Roundhay
Ya Ya's isn't just the Stones best live album, it's the best live album.
Going to have to meditate on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 11:14 by Turner68.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:11

Got Live If You Want It: 6/10
Get Yer Ya Yas Out: 7/10
Love You Live: 7/10
Flashpoint: 7/10
No Security: 9/10
Live Licks: 6/10
Shine A Light: 6/10
Live At The Marquee: 5/10
Live In Leeds: 7/10
The Brussels Affair: 7/10
LA 75: 9/10
Live In Texas: 7/10
Hampton: 8/10
Roundhay Park – Live In Leeds: 9/10
Live In Tokyo: 9/10
Light The Fuse – Toronto Phoenix: 8/10

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 16:46 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Stones CAT ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:14

Got Live If You Want It: 6/10
Get Yer Ya Yas Out: 9/10
Love You Live: 8/10
Flashpoint: 6/10
No Security: 7/10
Live Licks: 5/10
Shine A Light: 4/10
Live At The Marquee: 6/10
The Brussels Affair: 10/10
LA 75: 6/10
Live In Texas: 9/10
Hampton: 9/10
Roundhay Park – Live In Leeds: 8/10
Live In Tokyo: 8/10
Light The Fuse – Toronto Phoenix: 6/10
Sticky Fingers Live : 8/10 (updated)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 11:15 by Stones CAT.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:22

I think "Get Yer YaYa's Out" is great, one of the best live-albums ever.
I like the Mocambo (sp?) part of "Love You Life". I sort of enjoy "Still Life" and "No Security", but hardly ever listen to them.
Basically, whenever I feel like listening to the Stones live, I listen to "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out", the rest I find pointless.

Date: November 26, 2015 11:25

matxil
I like the Mocambo (sp?) part of "Love You Life". I sort of enjoy "Still Life" and "No Security", but hardly ever listen to them.
Basically, whenever I feel like listening to the Stones live, I listen to "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out", the rest I find pointless.

Is the singing the issue? Other than Ya-Ya's, if I put on a Stones live album, it takes me a while to get used to the severe drop in the quality of the singing live vs in the studio; on some albums, like LYL, it makes the whole concert nearly unlistenable.

Ironically, I think Mick is singing better live now than he has since the 60s.

Date: November 26, 2015 11:35

Turner68
matxil

Is the singing the issue? Other than Ya-Ya's, if I put on a Stones live album, it takes me a while to get used to the severe drop in the quality of the singing live vs in the studio; on some albums, like LYL, it makes the whole concert nearly unlistenable.

Ironically, I think Mick is singing better live now than he has since the 60s.

I'd say since 1971 (and partially 1978, where he really sang great on the «non-punk numbers), but I agree.

Regarding Ya Yas, of course it's the best live album, but something happens after listening to it thousands of times (for some). Then it needs a little rest, and probably will wind up back on the top of people's lists again smiling smiley

What are your ratings, Turner?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:41

Amost all of them are GREAT. 10/10 for (almost) all of them. Nothing can beat The Rolling Stones live.

Good but not really great are:
Ya Ya´s - 4/10
Flashpoint - 7/10
Live In Tokyo 5/10

The greatest of all is:
L.A. Friday - 11/10

I like Live Licks & Shine A Light very much too.

Date: November 26, 2015 11:42

HMS
Amost all of them are GREAT. 10/10 for (almost) all of them. Nothing can beat The Rolling Stones live.

Good but not really great are:
Ya Ya´s - 4/10
Flashpoint - 7/10
Live In Tokyo 5/10

The greatest of all is:
L.A. Friday - 11/10

I like Live Licks & Shine A Light very much too.

winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:45

Have you been waterboarded ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:48

Got Live If You Want It: 10/10 (great document)
Get Yer Ya Yas Out: 8/10
Love You Live: 10/10
Still Life: 9/10
Flashpoint: 5/10
No Security: 5/10
Live Licks: 5/10
Shine A Light: 2/10
Live At The Marquee: 9/10
Live In Leeds: 10/10
The Brussels Affair: 8/10
LA 75: 8/10
Live In Texas: 10/10
Hampton: 11/10
Roundhay Park – Live In Leeds: 10/10
Live In Tokyo: 5/10
Light The Fuse – Toronto Phoenix: 5/10
Sweet Summer Sun: 9/10

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:50

I would rank the Stones live album like this (not including the Eagle Rock/bootleg releases) :

1) Get Yer Ya-Ya's out! - The perfect "live" album
2) Sweet Summer Sun - Have the Stones been so focused on their playing since GYYYO?
3) Sticky Fingers Live (great playing, real good choice for the track listing - when are they going to release this properly??)
4) No Security - just a great live album from start to finish
5) Stripped (including the live b-sides it makes a very good live album)
6) Live Licks (despite the bad edits I always liked the second disc with the "rarities" - Maybe they should have released it on a single CD like No Security)
7) Shine A Light (the track listing is good and the band is playing quite well on it)
8) Love You Live - Like the rawness of the renditions but it's a bit all over the place
9) Still Life - quite good straightforward live album but the track listing is not so interesting
10) Flashpoint - Good live album but it sounds so dated today...
10) Got Live if you want it! - never bothered about this one. The new Live 1965 is so much better.

Date: November 26, 2015 11:52

kowalski
I would rank the Stones live album like this (not including the Eagle Rock/bootleg releases) :

1) Get Yer Ya-Ya's out! - The perfect "live" album
2) Sweet Summer Sun - Have the Stones been so focused on their playing since GYYYO?
3) Sticky Fingers Live (great playing, real good choice for the track listing - when are they going to release this properly??)
4) No Security - just a great live album from start to finish
5) Stripped (including the live b-sides it makes a very good live album)
6) Live Licks (despite the bad edits I always liked the second disc with the "rarities" - Maybe they should have released it on a single CD like No Security)
7) Shine A Light (the track listing is good and the band is playing quite well on it)
8) Love You Live - Like the rawness of the renditions but it's a bit all over the place
9) Still Life - quite good straightforward live album but the track listing is not so interesting
10) Flashpoint - Good live album but it sounds so dated today...
10) Got Live if you want it! - never bothered about this one. The new Live 1965 is so much better.

Why not?

Date: November 26, 2015 12:17

DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Why not?

Because they are labelled as "bootleg" releases (at least when they were first released as downloads) and more like documents of a particular concert. The "regular" Stones live albums are always albums made from different concerts (except for SF Live - but the complete concert was not released) and often with amendments made in the studio. As I see it, the Stones conceived their live albums just as they did their studio albums. The "bootleg" labelled releases are just straight recordings of the concerts (or almost - Brussels has some patches).

Date: November 26, 2015 12:22

kowalski
DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Why not?

Because they are labelled as "bootleg" releases (at least when they were first released as downloads) and more like documents of a particular concert. The "regular" Stones live albums are always albums made from different concerts (except for SF Live - but the complete concert was not released) and often with amendments made in the studio. As I see it, the Stones conceived their live albums just as they did their studio albums. The "bootleg" labelled releases are just straight recordings of the concerts (or almost - Brussels has some patches).

So you are only willing to rate albums with edits and overdubs? Okay smiling smiley

PS: Live In Texas is not one of the "bootlegs", not Live At The Marquee, either, and that one has heavy editing (I Got The Blues is spliced of two takes etc.).

Date: November 26, 2015 12:35

DandelionPowderman
kowalski
DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Why not?

So you are only willing to rate albums with edits and overdubs? Okay smiling smiley

PS: Live In Texas is not one of the "bootlegs", not Live At The Marquee, either, and that one has heavy editing (I Got The Blues is spliced of two takes etc.).

The Stones live album - until the recent "archive"/"bootleg" releases from Eagle Rock and including Live in Texas - have always been afterthought live albums. I mean you can easily differenciate them. There's some kind of "concept" behind each of them.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home