Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question for Collectors: Their Satanic Majesties promo?
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:20

Ran across this item on eBay. Not sure if it's legit. I've never seen one before.

Picture which is normally inside gatefold is used as cover.

Described as NOT GATEFOLD. Just 2-sided (front & back).

My first thought was that it was a normal gatefold folded backwards to deceive. Or that somehow
the normal album cover was disassembled, cut and reassembled. (??)

Or maybe it simply is legit and rare.

Any help is appreciated,

IORR............but I like it!

Re: Question for Collectors: Their Satanic Majesties promo?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:36

Even better was a 2 ft high 3D advertising display placard that was for record shops. The famous Rock On record shop run by Ted Carroll in Camden Town had one in the late 70s. They wanted £50 for it. I'm sure it's worth thousands now.

Here it is.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 25, 2015 15:13

I've got a 13"sq. 3D promo item,i wonder if it was meant for 1 of those record store displays ?...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2015 15:39

detroitken
I've got a 13"sq. 3D promo item,i wonder if it was meant for 1 of those record store displays ?...

Actually - that could well be it. I last saw it in about 1978 so time might have fogged my memory. It will no doubt be worth a small fortune. Nice.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 15:43

Looks like somehow re-worked.
If I can see the details correctly, the spine is preserved and looks the usual one of the gate-fold covers. Any more picture available?
Luca

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 25, 2015 15:50

sweet neo con
My first thought was that it was a normal gatefold folded backwards to deceive. Or that somehow
the normal album cover was disassembled, cut and reassembled. (??)

Or maybe it simply is legit and rare.

Any help is appreciated,

It looks like the front cover was cut out.

On the pic above you can read "NPS-2" on the cover spine.

Date: November 25, 2015 16:02

1963luca0
Looks like somehow re-worked.
If I can see the details correctly, the spine is preserved and looks the usual one of the gate-fold covers. Any more picture available?
Luca

Luca - while it was for sale...i sent seller a question asking if it was a gatefold (folded backwards) or if it was somehow disassembled and reconfigured. only response was that it was not a gatefold and only had the 2 sides pictured. he listed it as a "promo/sampler" (?). the pictures here were the only ones included on the ebay post.

Cristiano - I see the NPS-2 on the lower right (backside) but not sure what is on the spine.

Will be interesting to see if buyer's feedback gives any clues. But sometimes if item is not what was presented, buyer & seller can have a resolution without any "feedback"being posted.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 25, 2015 16:13

sweet neo con

Cristiano - I see the NPS-2 on the lower right (backside) but not sure what is on the spine.

My edition is the same as this one (although mine has the gatefold cover), and on the spine you can read NPS-2. On the pic you posted the cover is a little worn out, so that's why it's not very clear. I'm almost sure the front cover of this record was cut out, whatever can be the reason to do that. Perhaps one of the owners wanted to frame it? grinning smiley

Date: November 25, 2015 16:40

Ebay is a place where you have to pay a lot of attention when buying unusual items. At the moment, I'm following a mono promo copy of the US 'Sticky Fingers'. The labels sound strange to me, I ask for off-trail data and the seller sends the data of the stereo edition. All in all, we have a stereo copy with fake photocopied mono labels...

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 26, 2015 06:36

A few pounds more Silver Dagger, I missed one of these a while back and bought a car instead :-)

Date: November 28, 2015 15:23

detroitken

found this on internet. originally, was the entire 13x13 album cover supposed to be a lenticular image? maybe this is what you have ken.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: November 28, 2015 18:47

1963luca0
Ebay is a place where you have to pay a lot of attention when buying unusual items. At the moment, I'm following a mono promo copy of the US 'Sticky Fingers'. The labels sound strange to me, I ask for off-trail data and the seller sends the data of the stereo edition. All in all, we have a stereo copy with fake photocopied mono labels...

Know this is OT, - and congrats to Sweet Neo Con, - for this strange TSMR ! !
but can you Luca, - be a little more specific on the Mono-SF issue .... !
I´m following a SF-Monarural as well, (the same ?) - Monaural sticker on cover, -white labels, - "sample copy" - and no STEREO . . . .
What made you suspicious ? - matrix-numbers . . . ?

Date: November 29, 2015 13:09

Yes, Matrix Numbers.
I've requested the off-trail data and the seller has gioventù me ST- matrix data.
First of all, the mono promo copy has different matrix number (the same you can read onto labels), but also consider that ST- matrixes always play stereo.
I will not try to outbid you, be sure of this promise of mine.
Bye, Luca

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 29, 2015 14:37

Doesn't the album in the original thread just have the front gatefold torn off? You can see where the bend is and then the torn outside edge. I did have an alternate slick for Satanic, I'll have to dig out a photo, I traded it sometime ago :-(

Date: November 29, 2015 15:38

mattleeuk
Doesn't the album in the original thread just have the front gatefold torn off? You can see where the bend is and then the torn outside edge. I did have an alternate slick for Satanic, I'll have to dig out a photo, I traded it sometime ago :-(

yes..that would make sense. no info or pictures showing spine where half of gatefold was "torn off". good theory....probably correct. (thnx)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2015 16:58

sweet neo con
mattleeuk

yes..that would make sense. no info or pictures showing spine where half of gatefold was "torn off". good theory....probably correct. (thnx)

I would concur, that's the first thing I thought as well.

Date: November 30, 2015 18:56

treaclefingers
sweet neo con
mattleeuk

yes..sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one...but wasn't sure because there was no mention spine damage etc. and seller claimed it was super rare promo item....but he probably didnt know. claimed he acquired huge lot of records and this was in it.

Date: November 30, 2015 23:17

sweet neo con
treaclefingers
sweet neo con
mattleeuk

yes..sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one...but wasn't sure because there was no mention spine damage etc. and seller claimed it was super rare promo item....but he probably didnt know. claimed he acquired huge lot of records and this was in it.

OR, he totally knew, and was hoping you didn't!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2015 00:06

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2015 22:49

Rockman

VERY cool Rockman, thanks for posting that tidbit.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 1, 2015 23:18

treaclefingers
Rockman

VERY cool Rockman, thanks for posting that tidbit.

Stones On Decca

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 7, 2015 23:37

Holy cow, didn't notice this that I got my name in the papers smiling smiley

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: December 8, 2015 02:51

sweet

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:25

dear Jan, "fantastic" website they say ! you deserve it.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 13, 2015 00:32

djgab
dear Jan, "fantastic" website they say ! you deserve it.

Thankssmiling smiley

Sadly the server provider has stopped to support the platform that I have used to build the page on, so no updates can be done from beginning of feb 2015. So I have to rebuild the lot…..redo pictures, texts and what not. I will publish a new version after another 527 effective working hrs. That will be…. let me see…. calendar….yes, there it is, April 2017

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: December 15, 2015 17:20

thanks deltics & rockman!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 15, 2015 23:50

Jan
Sadly the server provider has stopped to support the platform
sorry to hear that.
maybe BV could help a little bit ? he knows a lot for sure about website.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home