Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger is in Carly Simon's New Autobiography
Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: November 25, 2015 04:59

Carly Simon has revealed that the second verse in her hit song "You're So Vain", on which Mick Jagger sings uncredited background vocals, is about Warren Beatty. Speculation is that the other verses are about Jagger and Jack Nicholson. She's on the Late Show Tuesday Nov. 24, CBS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 05:01 by chatoyancy.

Re: Mick Jagger is in Carly Simon's New Autobiography
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2015 06:25

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2015 06:36

What about the audible backwards David Geffen that was supposed to be on the last record? Ok so there are three people this is about, probably Beatty, Geffen and Jagger?

Absolute classic Warren's line "Let's be honest. The song is about me". Ha!

Date: November 25, 2015 07:19

Carly was mad at Geffen for putting Joni Mitchell ahead of her in importance at the record company.

Carly writes about Mick Jagger: "He is that genius of an artist who thrives on the dark and the daring. We spent evenings at the studio where he was working and at the Portobello Hotel. It was dangerous and conspicuous". Mick's wife Bianca called James Taylor to advise him not to marry the unfaithful Carly, but James couldn't understand Bianca because of her accent. Meanwhile Warren Beatty was telling Carly not to marry James "He's a drug addict".

I saw Carly talking to Mick backstage in NYC when he was with Jerry.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 25, 2015 08:27

Warren Beatty's a bad dude:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 09:51

RollingFreak
Warren Beatty's a bad dude:

[www.youtube.com]

Axl is vainer than all of the song's subjects combined.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 25, 2015 11:17

[newsthump.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 25, 2015 11:58

Since Beatty settled down to wedded bliss his film career seems to have stagnated somewhat.
His political ambitions also seemed to go nowhere....who had have thought that out of all his contemporaries it would be old Arnie who would have the most sustained political career.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:42

Is she Hannah from Memory Hotel?grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2015 15:50

chatoyancy
Carly was mad at Geffen for putting Joni Mitchell ahead of her in importance at the record company.

Carly writes about Mick Jagger: "He is that genius of an artist who thrives on the dark and the daring. We spent evenings at the studio where he was working and at the Portobello Hotel. It was dangerous and conspicuous". Mick's wife Bianca called James Taylor to advise him not to marry the unfaithful Carly, but James couldn't understand Bianca because of her accent. Meanwhile Warren Beatty was telling Carly not to marry James "He's a drug addict".

I would think, based on what she said in writing about Jagger, that nothing in the song is about Jagger. She's been 'coy' about the lyrical subject for years and the Warren Beatty thing is not new, Jagger sings on it and clearly she didn't write about him. She wasn't being 'coy' about hanging out with Jagger.

Great song. Outstanding song.

Date: November 25, 2015 21:40

GasLightStreet
chatoyancy

I would think, based on what she said in writing about Jagger, that nothing in the song is about Jagger. She's been 'coy' about the lyrical subject for years and the Warren Beatty thing is not new, Jagger sings on it and clearly she didn't write about him. She wasn't being 'coy' about hanging out with Jagger.

I agree the song is great, the fact that we are talking about the lyrics in 2015 is a testament to that. I'd say it pretty clear now the second verse is about Beatty, the third probably about David Geffen, the only remaining mystery is who the first verse is about.

You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...

Certainly could be Jagger...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 21:42

i think it's about me.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:00

Turner68
i think it's about me.

I'll never tell.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:15

Part of me thinks: okay already, enough about your love life/ who ya shagged decades ago,
but then,
she really did have the cream of the crop, my my my, LOL.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 25, 2015 23:18

I remember reading that she said the song was about Warren Beatty years ago. I also remember very clearly hearing an interview with her on the radio at the time the song was current and in the charts, early 73 I think, and she was asked directly if the song was about Jagger. Her reply was "I would never be so sly as to have him sing on the record if the song was about him". Yes, fabulous song!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: November 25, 2015 23:19

Carly Simon has said in the past that the first verse was about "Nick." Most read this to be writer Nick Delbanco (whom Carly had a relationship with in the late 60's) although there are some who think she meant actor, Nick Nolte. The third verse seems to be about David Geffen, however, Carly's manager has said she did not meet Geffen until almost a year after she recorded the song. Definitely not about Jagger...although he certainly is vain!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 01:05 by TornAndFried.

Date: November 25, 2015 23:20

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
chatoyancy

I agree the song is great, the fact that we are talking about the lyrics in 2015 is a testament to that. I'd say it pretty clear now the second verse is about Beatty, the third probably about David Geffen, the only remaining mystery is who the first verse is about.

You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...

Certainly could be Jagger...

Huh. That is pretty convincing!

Date: November 25, 2015 23:33

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
GasLightStreet
chatoyancy

Not about Jagger. When asked in a 1983 interview, Carly Simon said "nothing in the words refers to Mick."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 00:13 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 25, 2015 23:39

Wow Carly has a huge mouth

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 00:02

It's a very clever marketing strategy for a song.

Date: November 26, 2015 01:02

TornAndFried
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
GasLightStreet
chatoyancy

Not about Jagger. When asked in a 1983 interview, Carly Simon said "nothing in the words refers to Mick."

Yeah, but that was hilariously... it could be seen as being Mick but she said, earlier this year I think, that it was about her boyfriend Nick, which was also mentioned.

Date: November 26, 2015 01:06

GasLightStreet
TornAndFried
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
GasLightStreet
chatoyancy

Yeah, but that was hilariously... it could be seen as being Mick but she said, earlier this year I think, that it was about her boyfriend Nick, which was also mentioned.

Sure. The whole song could be about Mick.

Date: November 26, 2015 01:21

I never knew about the word 'gavot' until that song - and it took years to understand what she was saying. And have never heard it - ever - again!

Gav´ot
n.
1. (Mus.) A kind of difficult, old formal French dance in quadruple time.

[www.thefreedictionary.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 26, 2015 01:56

Seems it would be In poor taste to ask Mick to sing on a song that would contain
a unflattering verse about him. I would be surprised if Carly was or is that devious.

We should all work "Gav'ot" into our vocabulary this weekend.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 26, 2015 02:11

swimtothemoon
Seems it would be In poor taste to ask Mick to sing on a song that would contain
a unflattering verse about him. I would be surprised if Carly was or is that devious.

We should all work "Gav'ot" into our vocabulary this weekend.

My wife will gavot around the Thanksgiving Dinner table while she's serving the meal.

There.

Date: November 26, 2015 02:41

GasLightStreet
I never knew about the word 'gavot' until that song - and it took years to understand what she was saying. And have never heard it - ever - again!

Gav´ot
n.

I always thought she was singing something else "Go xxx?" but listening. it's very cleary gavotte, quite an unusual word for a pop song. Kudos to Carly for sneaking that in there to rhyme with Apricot! Perhaps she had some dancing lessons as a child, or maybe a rhyming dictionary or she is just a smart lady.

I will gavotte over to the kids table where I feel more comfortable tomorrow.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 26, 2015 16:34

desertblues68

No. I believe that's Linda Ronstadt

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: December 1, 2015 03:17

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

Gav´ot
n.

I always thought she was singing something else "Go xxx?" but listening. it's very cleary gavotte, quite an unusual word for a pop song. Kudos to Carly for sneaking that in there to rhyme with Apricot! Perhaps she had some dancing lessons as a child, or maybe a rhyming dictionary or she is just a smart lady.

I will gavotte over to the kids table where I feel more comfortable tomorrow.

Gavotte is a common style of Baroque music, I've played quite a few on the violin in my time. A Gavotte's in 4/4 time, a Minuet is in 3/4.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 1, 2015 06:56

exhpart
desertblues68

No. I believe that's Linda Ronstadt
Thank you exhpartsmileys with beer

Date: December 1, 2015 07:10

I think Hannah in Memory Motel might be a composite of Carly and Linda. Carly was more likely to be driving a pick-up truck and singing in a Boston club.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home