Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones at the Marquee on PBS
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: November 23, 2015 18:48

In case anyone's home this Saturday night...PBS is showing Stones at the Marquee. Check your local listings smiling smiley

Re: Stones at the Marquee on PBS
Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 19:30

regrettably we in NYC are getting nonsense like Alice's Restaurant.

Date: November 23, 2015 22:52

So the Stones are PBS-worth now...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 23, 2015 23:02

Stones50
regrettably we in NYC are getting nonsense like Alice's Restaurant.

No PBS Stones in the DC area either. sad smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 23, 2015 23:49

Knoxville, TN gets The Dead Fare Thee Well starting at 11:30p

Mr DJA gets to go to bed early.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 25, 2015 01:46

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

The Bridges to Babylon DVD was a pledge gift from PBS and they aired it with The Last Time which was not on the DVD.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:02

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

is that a dig? I mean PBS has a long history of producing some of the best series, documentaries, and overall consistently good quality productions that are essentially akin to being the godfathers to what is now the best TV ever created in history...on HBO, Showtime, etc..

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:25

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

Stones have been featured on PBS many times...mostly during fundraising periods. The '98 St. Louis PPV show, the Muddy Waters Checkerboard Lounge show, the T.A.M.I. show etc... So..nothing new there.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: November 25, 2015 16:45

Well, you learn something new every day!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: November 30, 2015 20:49

OK, so I watched this Saturday night. Certainly not the most magnetic performance, but I've been hearing about this semi-legendary show for so long I couldn't pass it up. Boy, Keith looked really rough. Bill Wyman has mentioned that Keith showed up hours late for the afternoon sound-check/rehearsal unwashed, unshaved, and looking "very untogether." I liked the opening Live With Me with the piano intro. Dead Flowers was good--any song that gets Mick and Keith sharing the mic is OK! Wonder why no Bobby sax break on Brown Sugar. I liked seeing them do I Got the Blues and Let it Rock, though the horns on LIR drowned out Keith's lead. I probably won't buy this one--though an interesting artifact from my favorite Stones era, I don't know how often I'd watch it. Thank you PBS.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 30, 2015 21:44

PBS in Milwaukee ran it right after they broadcasted Eric Clapton's 70th Celebration. Was a nice back to back experience. Think it's running again Thursday Dec 3.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 1, 2015 08:00

Bay Area people! It's on KQED at 11pm tonight! smiling bouncing smiley

TheBadRabbit - it was your review that made me intrigued to see it. Not to rent or buy it but definitely to watch if it popped up - and here it is!

I never go to sleep before midnight anyway, so this is boss.

- swiss

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 1, 2015 11:41

Afterward:

That was great! I had let my KQED membership run out, but have rejoined and will get the DVD and CD and a gift. That's how much I appreciated it.

TheBadRabbit's review encouraged me to check it out, but I have to disagree about its not being "magnetic."

Foremost was Midnight Rambler. I'm not usually a fan of listening to or watching recorded "live performances" - Stones or any band. Can't get into it - I feel like a spectator, rather than part of the experience. Whenever I see a show I'm within 5 rows of the stage to feel the vibes. But this the whole show was different for me. And Midnight Rambler particularly astonishing...I was on the edge of my couch, holding my breath, heart beating fast. I truly didn't know what was coming next. The dynamics within the band--and Mick's relationship with his harmonica, playing it beautifully, this crude raw flute, his fingers caressing it lightly. I've never seen him, for such a sustained period, be able to be "into" it himself. Not performing. Yes, performing, as in being theatrical, holding the audience and himself spellbound in a moment...to the next moment. But internally quiet, the insane demonically bemused character...the interplay between him and Mick Taylor and Keith was imperfect and uneven but fascinating. Mick was so into it--he was mesmerized, and mesmerizing. They were doing their thing on and on it sped and catapulted -- and I found myself drawing a huuuuuuge breath and hugely exhaling -- camera shot to Keith -- he too was exhaling - the same instant -- and then it's done and Keith is beaming a filthy-toothed wide-eyed grin. Nine minutes absolutely raced by. I would have guessed 5 minutes.

That was the apex for me. Also notable: "Live With Me" -- thoroughly enjoyable -- "Dead Flowers" a rollicking great time, and joy to watch and hear. "I Got the Blues" also pretty awesome, and "Let It Rock" sheer bopping fun.

It's only 38 minutes, but almost every minute, for me, was a marvel.

Visually beautiful. Immaculately clear. Wondrous color. Many tight close-up shots. Tho, being a Keith maven, I wish that it weren't quite as much Mick Jagger and his band, but that's ok. There are a few nice close-up shots of Keith's playing and MT's playing. And Mick is just unbelievably charismatic but not in not as over-the-top manner as he can be when he can freely prance and preen.

I cannot emphasize enough how ga-ga I am for Mick on a small stage. He can almost not be contained in such a tight space. He's almost exploding with energy--he can't release the steam by working it off physically because there's nowhere to go, so he has to channel it into his performance and musicality, the latter of which is what (for me) is often missing in Mick's live performances. At a few points he has to move and there's no room to do it in, so he does these gorgeous manic spastic high-stepping movements. Also, at one point he grabs Bobby Keyes and sort of makes him dance alongside him, and Bobby is happily bumbling along, but as soon as he falls into step like a can-can girl next to Mick, Mick shake him off and goes and does something else.

By the way, as a reminder, these are the songs featured:

Live With Me
Dead Flowers
I Got The Blues
Let It Rock
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Bitch
Brown Sugar

- swiss

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home