Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Unplug on ‘Stripped’
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2015 16:47

treaclefingers
Waxing a little nostalgia...can't believe this latter day classic is 20 years old!

Read More: 20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Unplug on 'Stripped' | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

I tried copy and pasting the article but wouldn't let me...probably a copyright thang.

What’s a band to do when they find themselves with a hit album on their hands? Why not drop another one right behind it? That’s basically what the Rolling Stones did after the success of Voodoo Lounge, releasing the live album Stripped in November 1995.

When Voodoo Lounge arrived a year earlier, the Rolling Stones didn’t make a comeback so much as enjoy a strong shot in the arm. Producer Don Was encouraged the band to push itself, as songwriters and as musicians, to write and record the sort of classic R&B that made them famous. As a result, Voodoo Lounge became a big success, pulling the Stones – still cohesive as ever – into the ’90s.

The subsequent tour also proved to be wildly successful for the band. By the time the Rolling Stones loaded up and hit the road, their tour schedule was massive, lasting two years and becoming one of the highest-grossing tours of all time. This tour also found the band in fine form.

During the tour, the Rolling Stones took some time to record parts of their live sets, capturing their newfound energy in some of their classic songs. They captured recordings in locations such as Tokyo, Amsterdam and Lisbon, as well as at some smaller London shows. They also spent some time recording live in-studio.

The result was Stripped, a retelling of sorts, introducing a new generation to the music that made legends out of the Rolling Stones. Its live production and loose feel could be seen as a retort to the highly produced Voodoo Lounge. But just like Voodoo Lounge, the music-loving masses ate it up.

One of the songs to do well from the album was the Stones’ cover of the Bob Dylan classic that contained their name, “Like a Rolling Stone.” The single even had a music video featuring Patricia Arquette.

“Well, melodically I quite like it,” Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger said of the track, in a talk with journalist and friend Jann S. Wenner. “It’s very well put together; it’s got a proper three sections to it, real good choruses and a good middle bit, and great lyrics. It’s a really well-constructed pop song, in my opinion. … It’s very much to the point, it doesn’t waffle too much. I sang it a lot of times on the European tour – maybe 50 times. So, I really got inside it, and I enjoyed it. I love playing the harmonica on it.”

The Rolling Stones also pulled out a choice Exile on Main St. deep cut in “Shine a Light,” though Jagger was surprised by how well known it, in fact, was. “We had never done that before, being something that was just hidden,” he told Wenner. “And I was really surprised when we first did it – that people knew it.”

Stripped kept the decade’s momentum going, after both Jagger and the seemingly immortal bandmate Keith Richards released solo albums prior to Voodoo Lounge. They’d close things out with Bridges to Babylon, the Stones’ third straight platinum album of the ’90s, and one more massive world tour.

Date: November 25, 2015 17:04

I thought it was great, even though I don't care for all the songs on the album (Wild Horses and I'm Free especially). The B-sides from the singles were fantastic and really round the album out.

Mick on STRIPPED:
All sitting on stools in a line - that wasn't really the Rolling Stones. Also, I thought (Unplugged) was really BORING television... (The results of the filmed Tokyo sessions were t)errible. It was the dullest TV I'd ever seen - and boring without an audience. So we finally decided, Let's do a club show. And we lighted on the Paradiso. It's an interesting old place. We'd never actually played there. But I went there to score drugs once (laughs).

We had to do this nod to the acoustic business, to see if it works. In rehearsal, Beast of Burden was really good. But last night, with the audience, it was a bust because I couldn't hear anything. I wasn't singing on my own out there. I had 100 backing vocalists going, Never, never, never in funny Dutch English.

I felt that we would take the best elements from Unplugged, the intimate thing of it, without actually doing it completely unplugged.

Keith:
When this whole thing came up, I said, Guys, forget about the acoustic guitars. It's about ATTITUDE. Scale it down, take it back to where the song was when you were cutting it.

Mick sure can be an idiot. How he continuously feigned surprise at EOMS just blows my mind. Why not just accept the fact that a lot of Stones fans, regardless of their level of fandom, think EOMS is one of their best albums, if not, the best Stones album.

Mick:
Shine a Light (was one of the unusual songs we picked), which is a song from Exile. We had never done that before, being something that was just hidden. And I was really surprised when we first did it - that people knew it. The audience starts singing along, and I was like Uh.

Mick:
To me it was never a kind of life-shattering event, this record. We tried to get a twist on a live record 'cause I didn't want to go back and repeat the previous live record. I thought we just had to give something different. We eventually got into it and developed a more intimate record. And we got a few unusual tracks going on, which is always good for a live record - not original songs but reworked. I think Like a Rolling Stone was unusual to do. We've never done a Dylan song before.

I think it's more relaxed. It's more soft. Most of the album is songs that we were doing on the road that are acoustic songs. It's the Stones as a smaller club band; there's blues and country, and we're showing that side of the Stones rather than the big, huge stadium version.

I like the club version of the band. But this is the quieter moments of the club version without the raucous parts of the club version.

The Rolling Stones should do something adventurous for their next album, but I never thought you could, around the time of the tour, do a completely groundbreaking record. It would have been nice, but I don't think that was possible.

Charlie:
One of the best records we've made in the past few years was the album called Stripped. I think that's one of the most interesting records we've done, the best-played record we've made for years.

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: November 25, 2015 17:05

Oh and of course, Honest I Do, from some soundtrack, was outstanding.

Date: November 26, 2015 01:26

All that was done in studios for STRIPPED:

3rd - 5th March: Tokyo, Japan, Toshiba-EMI Studios. Producers: Don Was &
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Ed Cherney. Additional musicians: Darryl
Jones (bass)/Chuck Leavell (keyb)/Bernard Fowler (bvoc)/Lisa Fisher (bvoc)/
Bobby Keys and The New West Horns (brass) on Slipping Away. Incl.
- Angie (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Beast Of Burden (MJ/KR)
- Heartbeat (Bob Montgomery/Norman Petty) -unverified
- Honest I Do (Jimmy Reed)
- I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (Kesler/Taylor) -unverified
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Let It Bleed (MJ/KR)
- Let’s Spend The Night Together (MJ/KR)
- Little Baby (Willie Dixon)
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson)
- Make No Mistake (KR/Steve Jordan) -unverified
- Memory Motel (MJ/KR)
- No Expectations (MJ/KR)
- Parachute Woman (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Slipping Away (MJ/KR)
- The Spider And The Fly (Nanker Phelge)
- Wild Horses 1 (MJ/KR) -alternate version
- Wild Horses 2 (MJ/KR) -Stripped version
- Wild Horses 3 (MJ/KR) -edit of version 2
- The Worst (MJ/KR) -unverified

between 23rd - 26th July: Lisbon, Portugal, Estudios Valentim De Carvalho.
Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Ed Cherney.
Additional musicians: Darryl Jones (bass)/Chuck Leavell (keyb)/Bernard
Fowler (bvoc)/Lisa Fischer (bvoc). Incl.
- Down In The Bottom (Chester Burnett) -unverified
- I’m Free (MJ/KR)
- Not Fade Away (Norman Petty/Charles Hardin Holley)
- Still A Fool (McKinley Morganfield) -unverified
- Sweet Virginia (MJ/KR)
+ probably more

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 26, 2015 03:38

GasLightStreet

*drools!*

Before the album was released, I was in a local record store and recall I was able to see the tracklist of the upcoming album ... Meet Me In the Bottom was on the list! I guess it must have been considered and then removed almost by time of pressing. Considering that they had other live versions on the album, I had always assumed it was from the Paradisio show, but perhaps not.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 04:29

GasLightStreet
All that was done in studios for STRIPPED:

3rd - 5th March: Tokyo, Japan, Toshiba-EMI Studios. Producers: Don Was &
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Ed Cherney. Additional musicians: Darryl
Jones (bass)/Chuck Leavell (keyb)/Bernard Fowler (bvoc)/Lisa Fisher (bvoc)/
Bobby Keys and The New West Horns (brass) on Slipping Away. Incl.
- Angie (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Beast Of Burden (MJ/KR)
- Heartbeat (Bob Montgomery/Norman Petty) -unverified
- Honest I Do (Jimmy Reed)
- I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (Kesler/Taylor) -unverified
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Let It Bleed (MJ/KR)
- Let’s Spend The Night Together (MJ/KR)
- Little Baby (Willie Dixon)
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson)
- Memory Motel (MJ/KR)
- No Expectations (MJ/KR)
- Slipping Away (MJ/KR)
- The Spider And The Fly (Nanker Phelge)
- Wild Horses 1 (MJ/KR) -alternate version
- Wild Horses 2 (MJ/KR) -Stripped version
- Wild Horses 3 (MJ/KR) -edit of version 2
- The Worst (MJ/KR) -unverified

between 23rd - 26th July: Lisbon, Portugal, Estudios Valentim De Carvalho.
Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Ed Cherney.
Additional musicians: Darryl Jones (bass)/Chuck Leavell (keyb)/Bernard
Fowler (bvoc)/Lisa Fischer (bvoc). Incl.
- I’m Free (MJ/KR)
- Not Fade Away (Norman Petty/Charles Hardin Holley)
- Still A Fool (McKinley Morganfield) -unverified
- Sweet Virginia (MJ/KR)
+ probably more

Wow! Some really interesting tracks...

Parachute Woman (land on me tonight). I would have loved to hear this one... What a forgotten gem! Wyman said that this is his favorite track from BB.

Date: November 28, 2015 20:10

It would be a great reissue if they expanded STRIPPED to include the rest of the tunes they did as well as the B-sides for a deluxe reissue, if not a 2 disc then a 3 disc edition if necessary given the amount of tunes.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: November 28, 2015 21:09

LeonidP
Turner68
nothing classic about it. shameless money grab. nirvana's unplugged session... that was classic.

Agreed, that is an all time classic!
Yup.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 28, 2015 21:35

I´m afraid there will never be an expanded version of Stripped. I think MJ was not satisfied with the recordings that did not appear on the album. The album runs 58 minutes only, they could have filled it up but obviously had their reasons not to do so.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 29, 2015 01:34

I would love to hear the acoustic Beast of Burden.

I have 'Stripped' on CD, I skip around a lot when I listen to it, which is not that much at all anymore, into different live Stones now, but still the rarely played/live recorded gems tossed here and there worth it to me. And getting Shine A Light live was worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-29 01:38 by 35love.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2015 02:56

35love
I would love to hear the acoustic Beast of Burden.

I have 'Stripped' on CD, I skip around a lot when I listen to it, which is not that much at all anymore, into different live Stones now, but still the rarely played/live recorded gems tossed here and there worth it to me. And getting Shine A Light live was worth it.

you must have got it on a black friday blowout price in that case!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 15, 2016 01:25

I've been busy! My mind hasn't really been anywhere near the Stones lately. I was also feeling a bit un-relatable here. Instead of dramatic goodbyes I just kind of slip away from time to time.

How are you doing?

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home