Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Got Live If You Want It / Have You Seen Your Mother – Live (LP)
Date: November 19, 2015 11:49

Got Live If You Want It (US) / Have You Seen Your Mother – Live (UK)

Got Live If You Want It:
1st live album (U.S. only)
London Records
Release date: December 10, 1966

Have You Seen Your Mother – Live:
Issued in Europe in the end of 1966 or possibly in January 1967.

Track list:

Under My Thumb Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
Get Off of My Cloud Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
Lady Jane Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.
Not Fade Away Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.
I've Been Loving You Too Long (studio: fake live recording)
Fortune Teller (studio, previously released: fake live recording)
The Last Time Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
19th Nervous Breakdown Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
Time Is on My Side Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
I'm Alright Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 2nd live vers.
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow? Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.
Satisfaction Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.

[www.youtube.com]

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Got Live If You Want It / Have You Seen Your Mother – Live (LP)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 19, 2015 12:21

Yeah, what to say? Better than The Beatles in Italy...talking about the sound...cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Got Live If You Want It / Have You Seen Your Mother – Live (LP)
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 19, 2015 12:41

Unbelievable how fast they played at the time. 12 songs in only 33 minutes.
No wonder these girls were screaming like they were on a roller coaster ride.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 19, 2015 16:24

A dispensable live album due to the incredibly bad sound quality.The fake live recordings are awkward. Musically too sloppy, uninspired, if one can say at all what happened on stage really. I hope that there are better recordings in the vault from this time, although the pop era is the low point in their career in my opinion. Better they search for more live gigs in the vault from the Rhythm and Blues era from 62 until 65.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 17:18 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 19, 2015 16:45

I am confused on the Have You Seen Your Mother ... was that another release title of the same album?

I still like Got Live LP, but know of its obvious flaws. I don't think live albums were a big deal at the time, and they didn't know how to handle them. Plus, as stated many times in interviews of the time, they didn't get to play too many songs, as they crowd would become too unruly and overtake the stage -- and the songs they did play were drowned out by the screaming. So that is why they felt the need to throw crowd tracks over some of the studio tracks, I believe.

But there are still some nice songs on it, Time Is On My Side, Last Tim. And Satisfaction kills!

Date: November 19, 2015 16:46

LeonidP
I am confused on the Have You Seen Your Mother ... was that another release title of the same album?

I still like Got Live LP, but know of its obvious flaws. I don't think live albums were a big deal at the time, and they didn't know how to handle them. Plus, as stated many times in interviews of the time, they didn't get to play too many songs, as they crowd would become too unruly and overtake the stage -- and the songs they did play were drowned out by the screaming. So that is why they felt the need to throw crowd tracks over some of the studio tracks, I believe.

But there are still some nice songs on it, Time Is On My Side, Last Tim. And Satisfaction kills!

Yes, and that's the version I have.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 19, 2015 17:36

In Japan it was released as "Hits LIVE".

And just for the sake of completeness, "Have You Seen Your Mother LIVE" was a british export-release for Scandinavia. At least in Germany and France it was released as "Got LIVE" in January 1967.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 17:53

Is there a reference for ALO talking about the release of this album? I bet there is an interesting story as to why they felt the need to release a live album at this point.

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 19, 2015 17:54

An album I listened a lot when I purchased it (some 15 years ago). I remember I really liked I'm Allright. A live album on high speed, with 12 songs in 33 minutes or so. A good example of the high energy of the 'pop' period of the Stones, not my favourite but I love the energy they spread on this album. Took me a few years before I knew there where 2 studio songs it haha....

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 19, 2015 18:56

I purchased Got Live when it was released in '66, having seen the Hollywood Bowl show in July of that year. I played it constantly on my dad's "hi fi". As sloppy as the sound may be, it captured the frantic energy of the show I attended. It was also immediately obvious that Fortune Teller and Loving You" were studio recordings. But, at the time, I didn't care.
I have the CD in my car changer and still enjoy it after nearly 50 years!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 19, 2015 19:24

The only way to listen to this album, is in pure MONO.
The mix is much more balanced and the overdubs are not as obvious.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 19, 2015 20:06

Under My Thumb Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
Get Off of My Cloud Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
Lady Jane Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.
Not Fade Away Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.
I've Been Loving You Too Long (studio: fake live recording)
Fortune Teller (studio, previously released: fake live recording)
The Last Time Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
19th Nervous Breakdown Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
Time Is on My Side Newcastle, England, October 1, 1966 1st live vers.
I'm Alright Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 2nd live vers.

Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow? Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.
Satisfaction Bristol, England, October 7, 1966 1st live vers.

Bold are not from 1966, but have 1966 overdubs.

This would have made a nice wee live/overdubbed pure 1966 EP.

Under My Thumb
Get Off of My Cloud
Lady Jane
Not Fade Away

The Last Time
19th Nervous Breakdown
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?
Satisfaction

I don't mind the overdubs so much, just the studio cuts and the two live tracks from earlier. Ignoring those, it's the stones in 1966, so, that's A-Ok by me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 20:09 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 19, 2015 21:18

Definitevely a funny one with different takes for CD releases.As a matter of facl old London CD and new ABKCO sound as completely different recordings.

Date: November 19, 2015 21:24

It's interesting that they more or less did the 1966 UMT arrangement in 1981, imo.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 19, 2015 21:46

I did read somewhere that Glyn John used a microphone hanging over the balcony to capture the audience. I haven't listen the vinyl for a long time: What a speed they were playing: "Garage rock - Punk before Punk", it was great fun listening to again and with fewer songs would be ok.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: November 20, 2015 01:57

silkcut1978_
In Japan it was released as "Hits LIVE".

And just for the sake of completeness, "Have You Seen Your Mother LIVE" was a british export-release for Scandinavia. At least in Germany and France it was released as "Got LIVE" in January 1967.

I haven´t heard of the "Hits Live"-album (?), - in Japan it was released as
"Have You Seen Your Mother Live", - actually it´s the Japanese album you can see on the lower picture! . . . released on LONDON,

The export-version for Scandinavia, - (and perhaps Germany), was released on DECCA.

The GLIYWI / HYSYML - album is probably THE Stones-album that exists in most different versions, mixes, productions, - etc.

Can´t help it ! - but I LOVE the energy on this album ! ! !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 02:04 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 02:00

DandelionPowderman
It's interesting that they more or less did the 1966 UMT arrangement in 1981, imo.

love that arrangement.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 04:00

I wonder why Bill's pic with Keith is a reverse negative? Also, what song is Charlie introducing in his pics? I know he would introduce Little Red Rooster and the 64 NME show he introduced the "Bo Diddley" number I'm Alright.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 20, 2015 05:29

At the Hollywood Bowl show, Mick said, "Our own Charlie Watts will introduce the next song". He stepped to the mic and introduced Lady Jane.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:51

'What are your thoughts on this live album?'

A catastrophy! Compare it to the Honolulu 1966 recordings or the Paris recordings which are way better and could be released if properly remixed.

Btw, the Glyn Johns Story mentioned was about the live recordings for the EP in 1965 but appears to be a legend. You would not have heard the music on stage if you had recorded a concert like this.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 20, 2015 12:25

Agree!
saltoftheearth
A catastrophy! Compare it to the Honolulu 1966 recordings or the Paris recordings which are way better and could be released if properly remixed.

Agree 100% . A horrible release. A catastrophy! Sounds like a fakerecording to me.

And Yes... Compare it to the radiobroadcasts from Honolulu, Paris or Melbourne. So much better.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 20, 2015 12:55

I probable have better boots but me and my friends had a lot of fun with: " Got Live if you want it" ,when it came out and I doubt there were boots avaible in 1966. Is it a three track recording: Vocals, the crowd screams and the band?

correct me if I'm wrong

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 20, 2015 23:55

funkydrummer posted this last year over on "Hot Stuff":

"Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow [Studio Excavated] is the version from Got Live LP but I have tried to remove as much fake applause as possible, to uncover what is surely a complete studio re-recording of the track. It sounds nothing like the Newcastle and Colston Hall tracks on that album."
[www.iorr.org]

[www.youtube.com]

Thoughts?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 00:05 by Deltics.

Date: November 21, 2015 15:10

Still weird to me ... I have old Stones books that list their catalogs and give the alternate title releases, such as No. 2 and Now ... but in none of them do I see a mention of Have You Seen Your Mother Live. I still have my books, just looked thru the one by Tony Jasper ... He lists 'all' the UK releases but no mention of this one. First time I've heard of it is now!

Got Live If You Want It is a horrible title, Have You is much better!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 21, 2015 15:23

LeonidP
Still weird to me ... I have old Stones books that list their catalogs and give the alternate title releases, such as No. 2 and Now ... but in none of them do I see a mention of Have You Seen Your Mother Live. I still have my books, just looked thru the one by Tony Jasper ... He lists 'all' the UK releases but no mention of this one. First time I've heard of it is now!

[www.stonesondecca.com]

The record was pressed in the UK and given a typical UK catalogue number for distribution in Scandinavia but, despite what it says on the above link, it was never officially made available in the UK.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 15:38 by Deltics.

Date: November 21, 2015 18:08

Deltics
LeonidP

[www.stonesondecca.com]

The record was pressed in the UK and given a typical UK catalogue number for distribution in Scandinavia but, despite what it says on the above link, it was never officially made available in the UK.

Nice info, thanks. Interesting:

"The master used for the UK LP is a different one than the master used for the US version. In fact they differ so much in production and performance that they could almost be listed as two different albums."

I might have to track that version down just to hear the differences.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 22, 2015 01:05

Deltics
funkydrummer posted this last year over on "Hot Stuff":

"Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow [Studio Excavated] is the version from Got Live LP but I have tried to remove as much fake applause as possible, to uncover what is surely a complete studio re-recording of the track. It sounds nothing like the Newcastle and Colston Hall tracks on that album."
[www.iorr.org]

[www.youtube.com]

Thoughts?

Messy, but probably intentionally so.

Ace regardless. cool smiley

Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: December 2, 2015 11:26

Hi, i'm Italian. I have some questions about this record.
I found a LP record and at Intro the speaker said only the name "Bill Wyman" than the intro of Under my thumb is correct.
But if you hear the CD, the speaker present all the Stones than Under my thumb intro is cut. Could you tell me in the "FIRST PRESS" mono which is right?
I hope that you understand my questions caus my is bad bad english
Bye from Italy
bmandolini@katamail.com

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 2, 2015 15:30

ironbelly
Definitevely a funny one with different takes for CD releases.As a matter of facl old London CD and new ABKCO sound as completely different recordings.

Several years ago there was a thread pertaining to this LP/CD...(I've tried but I cant find it) which stated that the 1st cd release from 1986 actually contained the original version(mono) of "Have you seen your mother Live" which was a DIFFERENT gig than what was used for "Got live if you want it"..I have the 86 cd & yes it is DIFFERENT from later issues both in sound (mono) & song times....The 86 release could be a (somewhat) yet to be discovered rarity....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:58

In regards to "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" (the song) discussed already here... I tend to think more and more that there is nothing 'live' - except the audience noise - in there. The backing track reminds me pretty much the studio version I hear in a recent bootleg called ACID IN THE GRASS (listen, for example, guitar licks, horns, drum fills). Probably Keith's backing vocals added when the over-dubbing sessions for GOT LIVE! Listen here, starts at 2:29.
[www.youtube.com]

It could be that they recorded the whole track for the live release, but I think more likely is that they have used some alternate version for the original single. Could it even be the version Keith has talked about as the version he preferred or was not used or lost or something?

But the thing that there exists seemingly different versions in the live album makes it more odd...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-15 18:06 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home