Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Dead & Company with John Mayer Tour
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:00

Being someone who went to middle school and high school with John Mayer I just find it so odd that he is playing with the Dead. He did nothing but make fun of Deadheads relentlessly in high school. His band at the time Villanova Junction played most Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews covers and the things he used to say about the Dead. Just funny that he is playing with them now. Personally I have not one once of respect for someone who acts the way John Mayer does no matter who good he can play. Personality does ruin talent for me sorry.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:26

Hound Dog
Being someone who went to middle school and high school with John Mayer I just find it so odd that he is playing with the Dead. He did nothing but make fun of Deadheads relentlessly in high school. His band at the time Villanova Junction played most Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews covers and the things he used to say about the Dead. Just funny that he is playing with them now. Personally I have not one once of respect for someone who acts the way John Mayer does no matter who good he can play. Personality does ruin talent for me sorry.

I would laugh at my parents music from the 50's and country. But as I have gotten older and wiser, I found a new appreciation for that stuff except for most country. I think many people grow into music, just like history. A lot of young kids and such do not have a care for history. History is something that is appreciated with time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 17, 2015 21:10

rbk
J-J-Flash
Love the Dead, have seen them over 70 times. This is an absolute joke. I know you are "not supposed to say anything not nice" on this site but John Mayer is a complete douche. Find it a disgrace that he is playing with him and trying to promote his own songs to Dead fans. His vocals are awful singing Dead songs.

I saw both nights in NYC and you couldn't be more wrong. Mayer sings and plays beautifully. Songs like Crazy Fingers and Sugaree have never been done by a competent vocalist within the Dead camp because there weren't any, really. He adds showbiz panache to the Dead which IS new and pretty cool actually. And he doesn't sing his own stuff.

Wouldn't that be hilarious if this incarnation grew more popular than the original Dead ever were? "Hey, I thought people said the Grateful Dead were horrible. That new guy can actually sing. The songs kinda sucked, but his vocals and guitar are great!"

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: November 19, 2015 04:31

Saw the show here in Atlanta last night, and enjoyed it very much!

If you are a Dead Head, don't miss this tour, it is a very enjoyable evening.

Last night's set list:

SET ONE
Feel Like a Stranger, Cold Rain and Snow, The Promised Land, Loser, Bertha, Cassidy, Don't Ease Me In

SET TWO
St. Stephen, Uncle John's Band, Help on the Way/Slipknot!, Drums > Space, I Need a Miracle, Morning Dew, Not Fade Away (E): Brokedown Palace

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 19, 2015 04:44

24FPS
rbk
J-J-Flash
Love the Dead, have seen them over 70 times. This is an absolute joke. I know you are "not supposed to say anything not nice" on this site but John Mayer is a complete douche. Find it a disgrace that he is playing with him and trying to promote his own songs to Dead fans. His vocals are awful singing Dead songs.

I saw both nights in NYC and you couldn't be more wrong. Mayer sings and plays beautifully. Songs like Crazy Fingers and Sugaree have never been done by a competent vocalist within the Dead camp because there weren't any, really. He adds showbiz panache to the Dead which IS new and pretty cool actually. And he doesn't sing his own stuff.

Wouldn't that be hilarious if this incarnation grew more popular than the original Dead ever were? "Hey, I thought people said the Grateful Dead were horrible. That new guy can actually sing. The songs kinda sucked, but his vocals and guitar are great!"

Jerry could play and sing just fine until the early 90s. Of the shows I attended, the one Jerry Garcia Band show I saw was my favorite.

I have seen Rat Dog and Furthur since Jerry's passing and enjoyed them enough. Can't get into the idea of John Mayer, however. Took a pass on the one show I had the opportunity to attend. Hopefully they will put this to bed once and for all soon.

Posted by: deemo ()
Date: November 19, 2015 06:39

Mr.D
likecats
Naturalust
No Billy, Bobby and Mickey, didn't betray anyone by continuing to perform as a separate group, even though they play Dead songs. Although it could be argued that they were a bit dishonest in marketing those shows as their last ones and therefore creating a huge demand and more profits, technically without Phil, they were the last ones that that particular group would play together. I guess if you went to those Chicago shows and made big sacrifices to do so you might be able to cry foul, but if you love the Dead enough to have done so you're probably going to be the last one to do so. I suspect the people using words like betrayed aren't such true fans.

I agree with you. I don't feel betrayed at all. I saw the shows in Chicago and I'm also very glad that ex-GD members are keeping the music going. I'm looking forward to my December shows very much.

Have you seen the five DVD's of the FTW shows in Santa Clara and Chicago? The montages that they showed on the screens during intermission were beyond amazing...!

The entire production was beyond amazing... Great light show, awesome video montages and graphics, original music during the intermission, a legit firework display for the 4th, free original programmes each night...

I know the music polarized opinion, but it is hard to knock the production itself...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:32

The original intermission pieces are getting released on the 27th!!

Date: November 22, 2015 05:28

Bobbyb98
I saw the shows at MSG in New York, and the combination of musicians that the Dead have put together for this band is incredible. Between John Mayer and Oteil, if you close your eyes you'd think that Jerry and Phil were playing. And by the way, last night's setlist was pretty great: the fact that China Doll was played makes up for songs like Viola Lee Blues and El Paso.

With the complete show up on YouTube I gave it a close listen again. You are absolutely right about China Doll. In fact, I think it is one of the best versions that I have heard, the bass playing and mix is just superb. I wish it went on for another 10 minutes. I could not find a better version.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 22, 2015 06:36

The Sicilian
Bobbyb98
I saw the shows at MSG in New York, and the combination of musicians that the Dead have put together for this band is incredible. Between John Mayer and Oteil, if you close your eyes you'd think that Jerry and Phil were playing. And by the way, last night's setlist was pretty great: the fact that China Doll was played makes up for songs like Viola Lee Blues and El Paso.

With the complete show up on YouTube I gave it a close listen again. You are absolutely right about China Doll. In fact, I think it is one of the best versions that I have heard, the bass playing and mix is just superb. I wish it went on for another 10 minutes. I could not find a better version.

Can you give me a time reference for China Doll? Without Jerry singing I'm having a hard time imagining it being so good but I'd sure like to find out. Thanks.

Date: November 22, 2015 06:49

Naturalust
The Sicilian
Bobbyb98

Can you give me a time reference for China Doll? Without Jerry singing I'm having a hard time imagining it being so good but I'd sure like to find out. Thanks.

China Doll starts at around 2:19:40 and flows into Sugar Magnolia at 2:26. The ending is just mesmerizing when sing La la la la...

Listen for the Hammond to start to come in at about 2:23:30. The leads are just delicate and the mood is just floating, you can tell the audience is just tuned in. Brilliant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-22 06:56 by The Sicilian.

Date: November 22, 2015 07:06

The Sicilian
Naturalust
The Sicilian
Bobbyb98

China Doll starts at around 2:19:40 and flows into Sugar Magnolia at 2:26. The ending is just mesmerizing when sing La la la la...

Listen for the Hammond to start to come in at about 2:23:30. The leads are just delicate and the mood is just floating, you can tell the audience is just tuned in. Brilliant.

Yeah that tune is so haunting beautiful it always puts me in a zone. This version was OK and both Bobby and Mayer do it some justice but it just screams for Jerry man! The emotion he added to the tune was such a big part of it, imo. Here is a good version (not the best) with Jerry to remind you what the tune is supposed to envoke.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 22, 2015 07:26

Naturalust
The Sicilian
Naturalust
The Sicilian
Bobbyb98

Yeah that tune is so haunting beautiful it always puts me in a zone. This version was OK and both Bobby and Mayer do it some justice but it just screams for Jerry man! The emotion he added to the tune was such a big part of it, imo. Here is a good version (not the best) with Jerry to remind you what the tune is supposed to envoke.

[www.youtube.com]

That is a good one too. I think it was played too fast there. Maybe the more current mix gives it more justice. The vocals were better on your post but the music much better on mine. Just having the Hammond sneak in and then dominate for a few seconds is stunning. Plus there is more composition to the one I posted. The tone shifts like a sonata. The listener is carried from despair to hope and uncertainty throughout the song. Either way it is a great listen.

Date: November 22, 2015 08:14

The Sicilian
That is a good one too. I think it was played too fast there. Maybe the more current mix gives it more justice. The vocals were better on your post but the music much better on mine. Just having the Hammond sneak in and then dominate for a few seconds is stunning. Plus there is more composition to the one I posted. The tone shifts like a sonata. The listener is carried from despair to hope and uncertainty throughout the song. Either way it is a great listen.

I may not agree but I like the way you think! thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2015 08:44

I've already forgotten what's his name, Gary? He played guitar, right? This Dead kicks that Dead's ass, bro. Man, me and all my frat brothers are into this kick ass shit. It used to be Dave Matthews but these tunes rock almost as heavy.

Date: November 22, 2015 22:05

DeanGoodman
You got me. I remember the video for Touch of Gray, and know the titles of the other songs. I had to rush-write Jerry's obit in the pre-Internet era, and that required some serious inventiveness. The Dead are more of an American thing, no? cf Johnny Hallyday in France.

Yes I'd say their European fan base is much smaller than their American one, but no less dedicated. Who is Johnny Hallyday? winking smiley

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:50

Naturalust
DeanGoodman
You got me. I remember the video for Touch of Gray, and know the titles of the other songs. I had to rush-write Jerry's obit in the pre-Internet era, and that required some serious inventiveness. The Dead are more of an American thing, no? cf Johnny Hallyday in France.

Yes I'd say their European fan base is much smaller than their American one, but no less dedicated. Who is Johnny Hallyday? winking smiley

Jean-Philippe Smet, better known by his stage name Johnny Hallyday, is a French singer and actor. An icon in the French-speaking world since the beginning of his career, he has been called "the French Elvis".

Date: November 23, 2015 21:33

reg thorpe
Naturalust
DeanGoodman

Jean-Philippe Smet, better known by his stage name Johnny Hallyday, is a French singer and actor. An icon in the French-speaking world since the beginning of his career, he has been called "the French Elvis".

And like Elvis, I guess he must never have performed much outside his native country. smoking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 24, 2015 12:40

In the States, Johnny Holliday is a sports announcer. winking smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 24, 2015 14:41

I've been watching the proshot web download of the MSG show on November 7thh...very tasty!smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2015 22:32

Does anyone know how to download the entire audio from a YouTube three hour show? I want to load it on an iPod. I know those song converter for a ten minute clip work but the not for an entire show uninterrupted.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 26, 2015 17:15

The Sicilian
Does anyone know how to download the entire audio from a YouTube three hour show? I want to load it on an iPod. I know those song converter for a ten minute clip work but the not for an entire show uninterrupted.

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader for Firefox.

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 29, 2015 20:45

OMG. Las Vegas is such a crazy town. What a wonderful pair of shows. Love, loved, loved them.>grinning smiley<

OT: Dead and Company "3D collector tickets"
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 15, 2016 06:48

As someone who saves/collects ticket stubs, does anyone know if these "3D collector tickets" are worth the extra $10? Are they bigger than regular tickets? I guess other bands have used them, but I've never really seen one. Honestly, if the Stones did something like this, I'd likely do it without hesitation....but with this....I don't know.

Re: OT: Dead and Company "3D collector tickets"
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 15, 2016 07:40

Any thing is worth only as much as you are willing to pay for it. If you are a ticket collector then go for it. It's only $10.

Date: February 17, 2016 08:55

TornAndFried
Any thing is worth only as much as you are willing to pay for it. If you are a ticket collector then go for it. It's only $10.

I do save my stubs and have since 1976. But with the online ticket buying such as Stub Hub, sometimes all you get is a piece of paper with a bar code on it. This happened with the Stones show in Buffalo back in the summer last year. Now, I need to find a stub, anyone know where you can buy one, EBay?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 16:33

This seems like a tired and boring retread that is totally unnecessary. I thought the Chicago and Frisco shows were it? I just can't get excited when Weir is struggling to sing and play and it seems like just a pointless retreat to bring out the patchouli and tie dye.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home