Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - Dead & Company with John Mayer Tour
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 14, 2015 19:29

The band rolled out "Black Peter" in Columbus yesterday. Can't wait to hear it.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 14, 2015 20:08

Love the Dead, have seen them over 70 times. This is an absolute joke. I know you are "not supposed to say anything not nice" on this site but John Mayer is a complete douche. Find it a disgrace that he is playing with him and trying to promote his own songs to Dead fans. His vocals are awful singing Dead songs. Its obvious all Bob Weir cares about is money. Phil Lesh pretty much all but said that.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: November 14, 2015 20:29

Yeah & the 2 drummers must be greedy capitalists too ! Shame on all of them.

Date: November 14, 2015 20:48

I was skeptical at first but Mayer has filled the bill just fine. If you think it is easy to just jump in and learn all the songs and music, then be my guest. I consider that to be a feat on its own. Though I'm not as anal about them that I need to scrutinize every single note. Who really cares if they are motivated by money, who isn't in this world? What do you think, the Stones are a frugal band? Or did you forget the cost of a Stones ticket. I paid $50 with tax to see them. I know people that pay twice that for a carton of cigarettes.

Once again, I was in a packed arena with people singing and dancing from the ceiling to the floor and everywhere in between. They seemed quite happy to be a part of the show rather than reminiscing on YouTube.

Date: November 14, 2015 21:43

My biggest beef is all the hype them promoting their final shows and then their like we had so much fun were gonna do another tour.. That is a stunt the Stones hopefully never pull.

Date: November 14, 2015 22:11

J-J-Flash
My biggest beef is all the hype them promoting their final shows and then their like we had so much fun were gonna do another tour..

Lucky for a lot of us who could not attend those shows they did. Now we all can have a lot of fun together.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: November 14, 2015 23:57

J-J-Flash
My biggest beef is all the hype them promoting their final shows and then their like we had so much fun were gonna do another tour.. That is a stunt the Stones hopefully never pull.

Those probably were the final Grateful Dead shows. This is a different line-up and uses a different name. Even if they are playing from the Grateful Dead repertoire, they're not calling themselves Grateful Dead and Phil Lesh is not involved.

The surviving Grateful Dead members did not stop making music after Jerry died. Since 1995 they have continued to play Grateful Dead music in different configurations or as solo acts. The Fare Thee Well shows were the only time that all four of them were together and using the name Grateful Dead.
I emphasize "and" because the four of them have performed previously using the names "The Other Ones" and "The Dead."

Date: November 15, 2015 00:08

likecats I am very aware of all of this, saw them perform as the Dead. Have seen them play with many different guitarists. Not once did I ever hear one of their guest guitarists start to play parts of their own songs in the middle of classic Dead songs. Classless. Or none of their other guests tried doing stand up comedy jokes in between songs or wear a Jerry Garcia tie around their head while playing. John Mayer's ego is too big!

Date: November 15, 2015 03:09

J-J-Flash
likecats I am very aware of all of this, saw them perform as the Dead. Have seen them play with many different guitarists. Not once did I ever hear one of their guest guitarists start to play parts of their own songs in the middle of classic Dead songs. Classless. Or none of their other guests tried doing stand up comedy jokes in between songs or wear a Jerry Garcia tie around their head while playing. John Mayer's ego is too big!

Can you be more specific about which songs you are referring to because pretty much everything is on YouTube. Since you are so adamant about it, I would like to hear these transgressions as you seem to call it.

BTW, cut the guy some slack. Even musicians can be big fans too.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 08:53

J-J-Flash

I would also like to know what you're talking about. I've been to some of the shows, and listened to others on YouTube, and never has John Mayer started to play his own songs during a Dead & Company show. There's really no need for such animosity against him - he's a gifted guitarist that is doing a pretty good job of channeling Jerry.

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 15, 2015 16:06

I'm just so bummed they aren't playing the PNW. Has anyone heard if this is a one time tour or if they are going to tour next year.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 17:18

aliceinseattle
I'm just so bummed they aren't playing the PNW. Has anyone heard if this is a one time tour or if they are going to tour next year.

Oteil did an interview recently saying that the group is 100% going to continue. I heard that they will most likely be doing a spring/summer tour, potentially doing some stadiums.

Re: OT - Dead & Company
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 15, 2015 18:50

Burbridge, in an interview with Kendall Deflin posted at liveforlivemusic.com:

L4LM: Do you see this band continuing beyond this year? Would you stay involved?

OB: Oh yes. And hell yes! If they want me around, I’m definitely coming back!

[liveforlivemusic.com]

BTW, the claim that John Mayer is dropping his own tunes into the jams is 100% apocryphal.

Check out what he had to say about the Dead in this 2013 Rolling Stone interview.

[www.rollingstone.com]

And this band/tour was in the works well ahead of "Fare Thee Well". They rehearsed with Phish's Mike Gordon in the spring.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 15, 2015 19:12

As far as I'm concerned Meyer is doing a great job of blending in and playing these intricate songs! I'd rather have Bruce Hornsby on keyboards like they did at the FTW shows.

Date: November 15, 2015 20:46

J-J-Flash

Okay. I was just responding to the gripe about former Grateful Dead members continuing to perform in some configuration.
I haven't seen Dead & Company yet so I can't say anything about John Mayer's participation in the group. That's a different conversation than one about whether or not Bob, Mickey, and Bill betrayed us by not retiring after Fare Thee Well. They did retire the band name "Grateful Dead."
Anyway, I'll see Dead & Company a couple of times in December, then I'll have an opinion about John Mayer.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:10

likecats
J-J-Flash

Okay. I was just responding to the gripe about former Grateful Dead members continuing to perform in some configuration.
I haven't seen Dead & Company yet so I can't say anything about John Mayer's participation in the group. That's a different conversation than one about whether or not Bob, Mickey, and Bill betrayed us by not retiring after Fare Thee Well. They did retire the band name "Grateful Dead."
Anyway, I'll see Dead & Company a couple of times in December, then I'll have an opinion about John Mayer.

No Billy, Bobby and Mickey, didn't betray anyone by continuing to perform as a separate group, even though they play Dead songs. Although it could be argued that they were a bit dishonest in marketing those shows as their last ones and therefore creating a huge demand and more profits, technically without Phil, they were the last ones that that particular group would play together. I guess if you went to those Chicago shows and made big sacrifices to do so you might be able to cry foul, but if you love the Dead enough to have done so you're probably going to be the last one to do so. I suspect the people using words like betrayed aren't such true fans.

I think that Mayer working part of his own tune into a Dead song is pretty cool actually. If that isn't in the "anything goes", improvisational spirit of the Grateful Dead I don't know what is. The main thing is the vast majority of fans and concert goers are really digging the shows. Keep on truckin' I say!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:54

I have not seen Dead & Company but several people that I know have posted reviews on Facebook saying that John Mayer has worked several of his songs into little tid bits of jams. Myself I don't know any of his music so I wouldn't recognize it. But yes how critical people could be about Trey playing with them, if he ever did this he would get bashed for it.

Date: November 16, 2015 00:02

Naturalust
No Billy, Bobby and Mickey, didn't betray anyone by continuing to perform as a separate group, even though they play Dead songs. Although it could be argued that they were a bit dishonest in marketing those shows as their last ones and therefore creating a huge demand and more profits, technically without Phil, they were the last ones that that particular group would play together. I guess if you went to those Chicago shows and made big sacrifices to do so you might be able to cry foul, but if you love the Dead enough to have done so you're probably going to be the last one to do so. I suspect the people using words like betrayed aren't such true fans.

I agree with you. I don't feel betrayed at all. I saw the shows in Chicago and I'm also very glad that ex-GD members are keeping the music going. I'm looking forward to my December shows very much.

Date: November 16, 2015 03:26

It's not like they don't perform a lot of covers anyways.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:38

The Sicilian
It's not like they don't perform a lot of covers anyways.

Actually the great majority of songs they are playing are Grateful Dead songs, but since they haven't actually written any new songs as Dead and Co. they are technically all covers! Could be argued in the cases where they play a Bob Weir tune. smoking smiley

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:47

Oh, I am so glad to see that they may continue to tour. In the mean time I've been looking at the tour schedule and maybe a trip to Boulder or Las Vegas is in order. mmmmmsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: deemo ()
Date: November 16, 2015 05:37

[/quote]I agree with you. I don't feel betrayed at all. I saw the shows in Chicago and I'm also very glad that ex-GD members are keeping the music going. I'm looking forward to my December shows very much.[/quote]

I have to second this, likecats...

I was in Chicago for the 4th and the 5th (Girlfriend wouldn't do three nights in a row). I do not feel at all betrayed by the Dead and Company tour. Rumors were rife before Fare Thee Well that Phil would continue with his friends, and Bob and the drummers would tour with John Mayer. FTW was always billed as the last shows with all four together. Not the last Dead related shows ever. I too am just glad these guys are still playing music.

I did Dead and Co. in Philly, DC, and Buffalo and can honestly say I had a blast at each one and it was clear that everyone around me was having one as well. To me, that's what its always about.

If anyone has doubts about John Mayer, go to Archive.org and listen to "I Know you Rider" from 11/5, "Scarlet Begonias" from 11/6 or "Bertha" from 11/11...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 05:38 by deemo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 16, 2015 08:04

How could John Mayer not be a huge improvement over the traditional GD harmony gargles? He's the best guitarist they've had on stage with them, ever, and maybe the best overall musician. I think you're damn lucky to have him.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 16, 2015 16:41

Not a Mayer fan but the guy has some chops and he does care about the music - even from a historical perspective.

Whether you like him or not, Mayer is not doing this gig for money.

I first saw Mayer live @ Clapton's 2004 Guitar Fest. in Dallas. Since then I've seen him open for The WHO, and then a show @ London Calling (Hard Rock Calling - Hyde Park) and other shows. Not a fan of his singing or particularly "his" songs but the guy can play some guitar.

For those that don't want Mayer playing in the Dead & Co., who would you rather have playing lead guitar? Just curious. I personally think its a tough role to play. Some guitarists are definately gifted enough to do it but they might not be willing.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 18:41

JJ Flash,

I respectfully could not disagree with you more. Mayer is not promoting is own material. He is not singing any of his songs. He has done nothing but respectfully praise the Dead's legacy. As far as Weir goes, just like the Stones, they could have retired a long time ago if money was their only concern. I would say the opposite, the if given the choice between money and music-he would choose music.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 16, 2015 18:44

I saw both nights at MSG (and the free one on TV a week later) and loved them. Mayer in no way sounds like Garcia which is as it should be. Otel played a lot of his parts closer to the bottom (think Whipping' Post) where less used to float up with the guitars a bit.

Mayer was well practiced and is a great, great singer. Showbiz panache meets the Dead and they finally have someone who can really sing their best songs.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 17, 2015 15:20

likecats
Naturalust

I agree with you. I don't feel betrayed at all. I saw the shows in Chicago and I'm also very glad that ex-GD members are keeping the music going. I'm looking forward to my December shows very much.

Have you seen the five DVD's of the FTW shows in Santa Clara and Chicago? The montages that they showed on the screens during intermission were beyond amazing...!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 17, 2015 15:33

1cdog
Not a Mayer fan but the guy has some chops and he does care about the music - even from a historical perspective.

I first saw Mayer live @ Clapton's 2004 Guitar Fest. in Dallas. Since then I've seen him open for The WHO, and then a show @ London Calling (Hard Rock Calling - Hyde Park) and other shows. Not a fan of his singing or particularly "his" songs but the guy can play some guitar.

For those that don't want Mayer playing in the Dead & Co., who would you rather have playing lead guitar? Just curious. I personally think its a tough role to play. Some guitarists are definately gifted enough to do it but they might not be willing.

Warren Haynes?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 17, 2015 15:42

reg thorpe
1cdog

Warren Haynes?

Sure.........would be one of the first people I would think of too.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 17, 2015 15:54

J-J-Flash
Love the Dead, have seen them over 70 times. This is an absolute joke. I know you are "not supposed to say anything not nice" on this site but John Mayer is a complete douche. Find it a disgrace that he is playing with him and trying to promote his own songs to Dead fans. His vocals are awful singing Dead songs.

I saw both nights in NYC and you couldn't be more wrong. Mayer sings and plays beautifully. Songs like Crazy Fingers and Sugaree have never been done by a competent vocalist within the Dead camp because there weren't any, really. He adds showbiz panache to the Dead which IS new and pretty cool actually. And he doesn't sing his own stuff.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home