Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 14
Ronnie: Studio in December..
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 12, 2015 16:09

Also states that Cuba is "still in the works"!!

[www.classichitsandoldies.com]

“We’ll maybe go in the studio in December and cut a few tracks and see what happens,” he tells ABC Radio. Ronnie adds that the band would be laying “some groundwork” for a possible new album project.

“We’ll take it from there, see how it all goes,” he says. “One thing at a time.”

Wood also reports that The Rolling Stones will begin rehearsing in January for their America Latina Olé Tour 2016, which kicks off on February 3 in Santiago, Chile, and currently is plotted out through a March 14 concert in Mexico City.

Ronnie says he’s looking forward to the rehearsals, noting that “it’s always good after a little sabbatical to get back with the boys and exchange stories and start the engines running again.”

Wood tells ABC Radio that another thing he’s looking forward to is getting perform in Colombia and Peru, countries where The Rolling Stones have never played. Meanwhile, rumors were circulating recently that the band may also line up its first-ever concert in Cuba after Mick Jagger was spotted vacationing in the island nation.

Ronnie says, “Cuba could be great if we could get there,” while pointing out, “That’s not a done deal yet, but it’s in the offing as we speak.”

Re: Ronnie: Studio in December..
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 12, 2015 16:12

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 12, 2015 16:19

Sounds completely indefinite -- maybe we will record a few tracks and see what happens. See how it goes. One thing at a time. Possible new album project. Makes it seem very far away from actually recording a new album.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 16:47

there appears to be some concern that things might not go swimmingly in the studio... I wonder why they would think that? ; -)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2015 16:55

I suspect they feel a lot of pressure to make music on the same level as some of the past glories. Unfortunately no matter what they do there will be unhappiness, whether they record new music or not. Must be frustrating I think.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 12, 2015 17:22

"I've got a lot of new songs, and songs I've written over the last couple of years," Jagger said, describing the new Rolling Stones album. "I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. I'd love to record a Stones album." April, 2015

...add two Keith's solo songs and new album is ready!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 17:29

They have all tracks almost ready...They'll must work entirely on 4/5 tracks only...Then a touch here and there and new album will be ready!I think that they are into a studio right now for a couple of weeks then they'll come back in Late April/May for another couple of weeks, then mixing and overdubs and the new album will be ready in September with a new North American Tour with major cities...
It is possible that now they'll cut 2/3 tracks for the upcoming Southamerican Tour...

Date: November 12, 2015 17:37

mailexile67
They have all tracks almost ready...They'll must work entirely on 4/5 tracks only...Then a touch here and there and new album will be ready!I think that they are into a studio right now for a couple of weeks then they'll come back in Late April/May for another couple of weeks, then mixing and overdubs and the new album will be ready in September with a new North American Tour with major cities...
It is possible that now they'll cut 2/3 tracks for the upcoming Southamerican Tour...

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: November 12, 2015 18:49

Ronnie is not allowed to give information .My opinion is that the album is almost finished the recordings from 2012

Sergio

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 18:50

KRiffhard
mailexile67

North America has had a tour this year. The UK and Europe should be visited first!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 18:51

This sounds to me like a PR effort mostly. My danger sensors get activated when I hear about them spending less than a month in the studio - makes me think it might be another "let's throw highwire and sex drive on Flashpoint" deal. brrrrrr.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 12, 2015 18:52

Well, in all likelihood, let's look at the past two decades...

1996 - Mick writes a bunch of songs intending to do a solo album, but the rest of the band decides they want to do another album/tour instead so the solo album becomes Mick's half of BRIDGES TO BABYLON

2000 - Mick writes a bunch of songs. A band meeting is held where tour concepts such as BLASPHEMY and 2001: A STONES ODYSSEY are kicked around. It's decided to wait for the 40th anniversary and do an "over the top package" instead. Mick's songs become GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY.

2004 - Dave Stewart invites Mick to join him on the ALFIE soundtrack. They bring along one GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY outtake [BEING MICK DVD features the demo of "Old Habits Die Hard"], one WANDERING SPIRIT outtake [Dave recorded his own version of "The Blind Leading the Blind" as a B-side to GREETINGS FROM THE GUTTER], and two hastily "written" efforts for the project. That Fall, Mick (sometimes with Keith present) begins demoing A BIGGER BANG unsure if Charlie will be available or not.

2008 - Mick takes part in a series of jam sessions organized by Dave Stewart over the next three years that will eventually take form as SUPER HEAVY.

2009 - Mick finishes a bunch of outtakes selected by Don Was and Matt Clifford over the next two years for the reissue projects. Not all are released.

2012 - Mick and Keith each bring one song for the 50th anniversary project.

2015 - Mick states he has enough songs for another album. Either a Stones album or a solo album.

Conclusion: there is little interest in genuine collaboration. Mick prepares polished demos with Matt Clifford and the band decides whether they like it or not. Mick's interviews over the years (see the wonderful TIME IS ON OUR SIDE website's track talk) make it clear the band are sometimes dismissive of Mick's ideas. Likewise, Don Was or the record label are sometimes dismissive of his ideas. As CROSSEYED HEART showed, Keith absolutely requires time and indulgence to develop songs through jamming. He isn't allotted that any more from Mick who finds that creative process unsatisfying. The result is Keith makes changes such as adding descending melody lines or changing opening riffs rather than actually sitting down and creating songs from scratch with Mick.

What the band thinks of Mick's demos when they gather in December will determine whether we get a new Stones album or a Mick solo album is the bottom line. The process though is largely done. All that's left is dubbing their parts onto the demos. Much like they have worked for the past twenty years. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 12, 2015 18:59

desertblues68
KRiffhard
mailexile67

North America has had a tour this year. The UK and Europe should be visited first!
smileys with beer

That's what Jun/July are for...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:02

Didn't they do some recording I think in Chicago during the Zip Code tour?

Date: November 12, 2015 19:02

First they excuse my English . I'm sure the album is now almost finished , only are afraid to publish it , so reissued old album .

Sergio

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:12

MisterDDDD

Wood tells ABC Radio that another thing he’s looking forward to is getting perform in Colombia and Peru, countries where The Rolling Stones have never played.

I'll bet he is! grinning smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:18

wow, got that right. saint of me, might as well get juiced were good ideas, though. who knows what ideas mick created in nashville and cuba. hopefully he wants a stones record bad enough to allow keith his indulgences.

Date: November 12, 2015 19:21

buenosairesstones
First they excuse my English . I'm sure the album is now almost finished , only are afraid to publish it , so reissued old album .

Sergio

It depend on the quality of Mick's demos and Keith's solo songs! With songs similar to'Sweet Neo Con', 'Keys to your Love' or 'Losing my touch' they can be afraid!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:42

Rocky Dijon
Well, in all likelihood, let's look at the past two decades...

1996 - Mick writes a bunch of songs intending to do a solo album, but the rest of the band decides they want to do another album/tour instead so the solo album becomes Mick's half of BRIDGES TO BABYLON

2000 - Mick writes a bunch of songs. A band meeting is held where tour concepts such as BLASPHEMY and 2001: A STONES ODYSSEY are kicked around. It's decided to wait for the 40th anniversary and do an "over the top package" instead. Mick's songs become GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY.

2004 - Dave Stewart invites Mick to join him on the ALFIE soundtrack. They bring along one GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY outtake [BEING MICK DVD features the demo of "Old Habits Die Hard"], one WANDERING SPIRIT outtake [Dave recorded his own version of "The Blind Leading the Blind" as a B-side to GREETINGS FROM THE GUTTER], and two hastily "written" efforts for the project. That Fall, Mick (sometimes with Keith present) begins demoing A BIGGER BANG unsure if Charlie will be available or not.

2008 - Mick takes part in a series of jam sessions organized by Dave Stewart over the next three years that will eventually take form as SUPER HEAVY.

2009 - Mick finishes a bunch of outtakes selected by Don Was and Matt Clifford over the next two years for the reissue projects. Not all are released.

2012 - Mick and Keith each bring one song for the 50th anniversary project.

2015 - Mick states he has enough songs for another album. Either a Stones album or a solo album.

Conclusion: there is little interest in genuine collaboration. Mick prepares polished demos with Matt Clifford and the band decides whether they like it or not. Mick's interviews over the years (see the wonderful TIME IS ON OUR SIDE website's track talk) make it clear the band are sometimes dismissive of Mick's ideas. Likewise, Don Was or the record label are sometimes dismissive of his ideas. As CROSSEYED HEART showed, Keith absolutely requires time and indulgence to develop songs through jamming. He isn't allotted that any more from Mick who finds that creative process unsatisfying. The result is Keith makes changes such as adding descending melody lines or changing opening riffs rather than actually sitting down and creating songs from scratch with Mick.

What the band thinks of Mick's demos when they gather in December will determine whether we get a new Stones album or a Mick solo album is the bottom line. The process though is largely done. All that's left is dubbing their parts onto the demos. Much like they have worked for the past twenty years. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

Well informed post, thanks.
And after contemplating it all, my hopes for an amazing new Stones album have been somewhat squashed if they weren't already.
Trying to be positive, but as has been discussed on various threads the last few months - the fact that Mick is already well equipped with a large batch of demo's doesn't bode well.
You've summed it all up very well, and the writing is on the wall which unfortunately makes it that much clearer. Like you, and against all odds, I'd love to be wrong.
After the dismal ABB, they're hopefully going to try and right every wrong...an equal Keith/Mick collaboration without any deadlines might be the place to start.
But it doesn't seem like that's going to be the strategy. Only time will tell I suppose....

eye rolling smiley

Date: November 12, 2015 19:45

Could Mick have finished Keith and Jack's recordings while he was in Nashville?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2015 19:48

That would be seriously great Dandelion, but I think Mick spent all his time in Nashville bowling and strolling through the woods. smiling smiley

Date: November 12, 2015 19:51

I think at this point in the race if not the Stones Mick and Keith up together or not to have a good album . it's just lucky to get a good album,

Sergio

Date: November 12, 2015 20:31

DandelionPowderman
Could Mick have finished Keith and Jack's recordings while he was in Nashville?

Too good to be true!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 21:23

With a come back in Europe or North American major cities, a new studio album should be "necessary"...It is eleven years from the last studio album, so why not?!?I should be really surprised on the contrary!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 12, 2015 21:23

Excellent post Rocky, I think you've pretty much nailed the process and the..ahem..problems with the Stones modern record making process.

Mick works at breakneck speed, comes in with fully developed songs and requires instant results while Keith needs considerable more time to make things gel in the way they did when the collaboration was producing better material.

However, I'm not so quick as many are to blame it entirely on Mick or conclude that Keith could make it all better given the time and latitude to jam and change the songs more to his liking. I think it's more about the quality of the songs to begin with, even Keith can't polish a turd so to speak.

I hope they are just brutal in the song selection process, throw out Mick's songs if they aren't GREAT and Mick to works with more of Keith's very rough sketches and use his great work ethic to help move those best ideas forward, instead of being so attached to what he's already done. I think Keith may have just mellowed to a point where most of his ideas aren't immediately recognizable as rockin' tunes and Mick thinks that is as necessary for the records as it is for the live shows. I think of songs like Trouble that Keith wrote as a Hank Williams style tune and Waddy being the one who pointed out it could be rocked up.

Hell I'd welcome a mostly folk record if the songs were good, seemed to work for Keith. Anyway, getting together early and at least exchanging ideas they can take away and work on is certainly a good thing. Fingers crossed because I don't think anyone is doubting this is probably the last one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2015 21:40

Bring it on Stones ...... Make my day ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:00

For the record, I'm a Stones fan who enjoys both Glimmer Twins solo as well. I've come to accept over the last thirty years that they work best creatively apart. When they do work together, you're just as likely to get a VOODOO LOUNGE as a DIRTY WORK. And, as Mick said about VOODOO LOUNGE, the results do not differ substantially from working quickly (the STEEL WHEELS model) to justify the aggravation. Much as I enjoy CROSSEYED HEART, I'm not convinced Keith is "back" in terms of bursting with creativity. I think he needs indulgence and sympathetic collaborators. That isn't necessarily the Stones. Like it or not, they both know their best work is behind them. What they do now is simply carrying on. The pressure is far greater than ever before to not "tarnish the legacy." This is something every veteran artist faces. That is why many will create only for themselves in their last years and be reluctant to share the results. That certainly describes Mick's continuous songwriting efforts. As Dave Stewart noted several years ago, Mick could release tons of new songs they've amassed over the years. He suggested Mick do so exclusively as a cloud release. And it isn't just talk, one journalist reported Dave Stewart playing him a track. L'wren's fashion shows even featured some exclusive Mick songs never aired elsewhere. There's a lot that is locked up in the archive of recent vintage.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:14

KRiffhard
"I've got a lot of new songs, and songs I've written over the last couple of years," Jagger said, describing the new Rolling Stones album. "I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. I'd love to record a Stones album." April, 2015

...add two Keith's solo songs and new album is ready!

When Mick says they are going into the studio, have plans to go into the studio, then I will believe it. Until then, it is the same PR that surrounds every tour. And really, from their point of view, why wouldn't they rather put the effort into touring, which has much more of a financial payoff then a new album? And there is no album already recorded that they are afraid to issue (???) nor are there Keith/Jack/Mick songs in the can or anywhere else. Just my opinion.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:22

...I think that nearly all the tracks are already in the can..!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:29

Rocky Dijon
For the record, I'm a Stones fan who enjoys both Glimmer Twins solo as well. I've come to accept over the last thirty years that they work best creatively apart. When they do work together, you're just as likely to get a VOODOO LOUNGE as a DIRTY WORK. And, as Mick said about VOODOO LOUNGE, the results do not differ substantially from working quickly (the STEEL WHEELS model) to justify the aggravation. Much as I enjoy CROSSEYED HEART, I'm not convinced Keith is "back" in terms of bursting with creativity. I think he needs indulgence and sympathetic collaborators. That isn't necessarily the Stones. Like it or not, they both know their best work is behind them. What they do now is simply carrying on. The pressure is far greater than ever before to not "tarnish the legacy." This is something every veteran artist faces. That is why many will create only for themselves in their last years and be reluctant to share the results. That certainly describes Mick's continuous songwriting efforts. As Dave Stewart noted several years ago, Mick could release tons of new songs they've amassed over the years. He suggested Mick do so exclusively as a cloud release. And it isn't just talk, one journalist reported Dave Stewart playing him a track. L'wren's fashion shows even featured some exclusive Mick songs never aired elsewhere. There's a lot that is locked up in the archive of recent vintage.

Interesting, thanks Rocky!

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home