Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: For Those of You Who Think Keith's Guitar Playing is Slipping...
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 11, 2015 18:59

All of the above is very true, although I do think it's unfair to omit MT from discussing why Sticky Fingers, GYYYO and Exile are so good (the big four concept aside). Likewise his role in making GHS and IORR much better than they otherwise would have been.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:18

matxil
3) Mick and Keith started to have different tastes

I recently ran across an interview with Mick that came out around the release of Exile in which he said several times that he was tired of rock and roll and wanted to do something different.

matxil
4) Thank God they never tried hip-hop or electric music. Whatever you think about that music, it would be a disaster for the Stones.

I would give anything to hear Mick try to rap. Then I would shoot myself.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:20

with sssoul
Hairball
Yes, yes, yes indeed... there is a small percentage that do. grinning smiley

That would be me!

I love all eras of the Stones. And back to the original post, Keith has slipped some, but is still better than almost every other human on the planet. Not technically, for sure, but FEEL!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:51

Stoneburst
All of the above is very true, although I do think it's unfair to omit MT from discussing why Sticky Fingers, GYYYO and Exile are so good (the big four concept aside). Likewise his role in making GHS and IORR much better than they otherwise would have been.

Agreed. I hadn't seen that happen but if so it isn't fair - obviously he is a huge part of those albums.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:56

flilflam
Listen to This :

[www.youtube.com]

I have listened to just about everything Keith has played, and this guitar work on Blues in the Morning in unbelievable. The riffs are as crisp as ever. Chuck Berry should be proud.

If he could just set a date for a Stones session, I would be very happy.

Another way to play "Blues in the morning"....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 11, 2015 20:19

mtaylor

Now that was a treat. Look at the way Taylor is switching between using his pick and fingers and truly using elements of "attack" to change the sound and volume in his playing. Keith is a master of phrasing but Mick Taylor is a master of attack and phrasing. You get the Feeling Keith is just happy to hit the right notes while Taylor has the finesse to concentrate on other elements of his playing.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 11, 2015 21:03

NL, if you liked that, this is from around the same era and also very good: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 11, 2015 21:25

blivet

matxil
4) Thank God they never tried hip-hop or electric music. Whatever you think about that music, it would be a disaster for the Stones.

Isn't Memo From Turner basically a rap song? Or at least the bridge of ASMB?

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 11, 2015 21:29

Stoneburst
NL, if you liked that, this is from around the same era and also very good: [www.youtube.com]

Thanks man! I'm hearing some real Jeff Beck influences in there. Only 364 Views?! Something wrong with this world when some of these pop stars have hundreds of millions and this gets 364. sad smiley

Too be fair to Keith and keep somewhat on topic I think Taylor's playing has probably slipped some too.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 11, 2015 22:43

Naturalust
Stoneburst

Thanks man! I'm hearing some real Jeff Beck influences in there. Only 364 Views?! Something wrong with this world when some of these pop stars have hundreds of millions and this gets 364. sad smiley

Too be fair to Keith and keep somewhat on topic I think Taylor's playing has probably slipped some too.

I agree and I hope both KR and MT would also agree, although...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 11, 2015 23:00

mtaylor
flilflam
Listen to This :

[www.youtube.com]

I have listened to just about everything Keith has played, and this guitar work on Blues in the Morning in unbelievable. The riffs are as crisp as ever. Chuck Berry should be proud.

If he could just set a date for a Stones session, I would be very happy.

Awesome until he starts singing. smoking smiley

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:09

BreakingBlues
blivet

matxil

I see what you're getting at, but I wouldn't call Memo From Turner rap. It seems far too slow-paced and melodic to me, but I'm hardly an expert. I don't think the genre even existed back then, though, so if nothing else I'm technically correct. smiling smiley

I'll also have to admit that I'm not very knowledgeable concerning the Stones' material since Wyman left the band. With the exception of Doom and Gloom, I haven't felt the need to listen to any of more than once. I guess you're right about ASMB, although that part of the song is pretty short. I'll wait to hear Mick rap his way through a full song before pulling the trigger.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:21

^ Wake Up N*****s from Performance soundtrack is mighty close to rap. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 02:21 by His Majesty.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:23

blivet
BreakingBlues
blivet

matxil

I see what you're getting at, but I wouldn't call Memo From Turner rap. It seems far too slow-paced and melodic to me, but I'm hardly an expert. I don't think the genre even existed back then, though, so if nothing else I'm technically correct. smiling smiley

I'll also have to admit that I'm not very knowledgeable concerning the Stones' material since Wyman left the band. With the exception of Doom and Gloom, I haven't felt the need to listen to any of more than once. I guess you're right about ASMB, although that part of the song is pretty short. I'll wait to hear Mick rap his way through a full song before pulling the trigger.

I think the roots of rap are already in old blues, jazz, and certainly in certain jamaican music (toasting). Still, I just don't think any of the Stones would be very good in doing it. It's not the same as just semi-speaking on top of the music, but I am not sure how to really define it. There might be some gray area even: "Nadine" by Chuck Berry consists of "rhythmically putting rhyming words in a very strict cadence" but still normally you wouldn't call it rap.
Is the speech of Mick Jagger in Too Much Blood rap? I would say no.
The part in ASMB indeed I would call rap, but it's not Mick Jagger and as blivet says it's short and not really the essence of the song.
Oh well, maybe I am wrong, and they could come up with a perfect rap song.

Date: November 12, 2015 11:38

Miss You has rap elements as well. Probably the first song where it was done intentionally, since rap was all the rage?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:41

they coming to take me away Ha Ha.... by Napoleon XIV...on chart-lists around 1965...first rap-song if you ask me...

Salt Peanuts by Dizzy Gillespie could be Another one...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 12, 2015 18:07

I am listening to Mick Taylor's Blues in the Morning now. Like many other guitarists, he is suffering from the Too Many Notes Per Second Blues. Mick is a great guitarist, but only when he is accompanying Keith.

Date: November 12, 2015 18:49

flilflam
I am listening to Mick Taylor's Blues in the Morning now. Like many other guitarists, he is suffering from the Too Many Notes Per Second Blues. Mick is a great guitarist, but only when he is accompanying Keith.

He's a great guitarist anytime. I also prefer it when he is a bit more restrained, like in 69-71 with the Stones. However I don't agree that his greatness depends on Keith Richards in any way shape or form.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 13, 2015 00:01

BreakingBlues
blivet

matxil

The sample that makes up the lyric content of a bridge is not - it is rap - a rap song. It's from a rap song but it's not Mick rapping so... no.

Date: November 13, 2015 00:07

the stones have never done a rap song.

i will repost this, though, so people can hear the difference and have some fun though.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 13, 2015 01:05

Seems like almost every track has a connection to another from the first two solo's...this one sounds a whole lot like Could've Stood You Up....not a bad thing, simply an observation.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 13, 2015 21:07

Anybody who thinks it's slipping has obviously not listened to the latest LP.Still listening to it now.And the Lee Scratch contribution is quite amazing too.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home