Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Got Live If You Want It (EP)
Date: November 6, 2015 10:43

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! (U.K. live EP):

Decca Records
Release date: June 11, 1965

Track list:

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
(London, Liverpool or Manchester, March 5-7, 1965)
Pain In My Heart
Route 66
I'm Moving On
I'm Alright

[www.youtube.com]

What are your thoughts on this album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 12:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Got Live If You Want It (EP)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 6, 2015 11:53

Brilliant stuff. Route 66 their best live-song recorded ever..and both I'm moving on and It's all right singles and every´well-known chartlist worldwide...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 6, 2015 12:01

Endearingly raw. What it lacks in fidelity is overcome by pure energy. Like a stiff shot of espresso. Among their best live releases.

Date: November 6, 2015 12:02

Yeah, it probably is my favourite Rolling Stones live album. The energy is breathtaking, and the songs and the whole vibe of it is unsurpassable, imo.

They've done brilliant live versions of Route 66 both before (Camden) and after (El Mocambo), but this one... Wow indeed! thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 6, 2015 12:22

Well, as far as I am concerned, with YA-YA'S! the best live release from the original vinyl days. Captures so fantastically the atmosphere and feel of those hectic Stonesmania days... I think the result is not just due to weak amplifiers and other technical limitations, but due to artistic choices: they really wanted to share the whole concert experience as it is, the audience being an important factor in the whole. True days of interaction. If I have understood right, some of the vocals were over-dubbed later, and some of the mics were intentionally aimed at the audience to 'hear' them (we dogrinning smiley). Anyway those tricks doesn't do much harm - or any - to the final output, unlike with the US American album with the same title.

Of the individual tracks - all of them are great performances, highlights being the rocking version of "Route 66" (that extra intro is wonderful addition, building up the tension), a great rhythm & blues, almost hard rock reading of" I'm Moving On" (damn what a slide by Brian!), and the best of them all: a definitive version of their early day's gig highlight: "I'm Alright". Mick and Keith's dueting, both giving all they got, is simple outstanding. To me the latter being one of their very best live cuts ever caught on a record.

You can't fake that youthful energy. Some day they would be so much technically better, more professional and all that, but I don't think they would ever sound so wild, energetic, raw and rock and roll as they do in this recording. It is just so authentic, joyful, so natural, innocent, with no worries of anything, like of tomorrow or high artistic demands or so. I still recall the day I heard the EP for the first time (even though I had hear some often cuts in some albums): shit they are hot! I can only imagine what it might have sounded to the people in its heyday - especially to the ones who didn't have a chance to see - or experience - them live. There were so many of them those days.

Still a powerful document of those days, even though we have a technically better release today from the same tour(s). And probably still closest audio release to capture the feel of a Stones show as it is. One can almost feel being there while listening it...

PLAY IT LOUD!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 12:27 by Doxa.

Date: November 6, 2015 12:25

I think they only overdubbed the LP, and that's pretty audible smiling smiley

I'm not sure they doctored the EP at all. I've never heard that before? The album was released two months after the shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 12:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 6, 2015 12:31

DandelionPowderman
I think they only overdubbed the LP, and that's pretty audible smiling smiley

I'm not sure they doctored the EP at all. I've never heard that before?

Well I recall reading about that that they had some troubles with the recordings and they needed to doctor it a bit. Can't recall the source any longer.

But I really can't hear that - the difference to the US album is a huge one in that sense.

- Doxa

Date: November 6, 2015 12:33

It's a huge letdown if that «let me hear you say yeah» is overdubbed. It sounds so spontaneous smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2015 12:53

DandelionPowderman
It's a huge letdown if that «let me hear you say yeah» is overdubbed. It sounds so spontaneous smiling smiley

Well, it does! I think altogether the vocals sound so spontateus, authentic, reflecting the moment so well, and all that (Jagger's voice even breaking sometimes), that I think it sounds almost impossible that any of that could have been re-done in studio.

I have always had doubts of the over-dubbing claim (could they have confused with the album?), and I have never paid too much attention to it, since it just.. sounds so unlikely (even though my first impression was: oh not, that again...). I partly mentioned it because I thought someone could lighten up the case a bit, or - hopely - shoot it down altogeher... His Majesty?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 12:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 6, 2015 14:38

Top review (again!), Doxa!

Especially the "You can't fake that youthful energy..." chapter.

Reminds me that I would love to hear that live recording from the earlier days made by the bassist from Jeff Beck's group!

By the way, years ago I read somewhere that "'I'm Moving On" isn't a live recording, but what the heck!

This is one of the best releaes by the band!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 6, 2015 15:17

Rank Stranger

By the way, years ago I read somewhere that "'I'm Moving On" isn't a live recording, but what the heck!

That's nonsense. grinning smiley

Date: November 6, 2015 15:20

It's I've Been Loving You and Fortune Teller on the live LP that were studio versions.

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 6, 2015 15:32

I need to buy more albums.smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2015 15:40

From all I've ever read the EP has no overdubs on it, just the LP, of which 2 tracks are from March 1965, a majority of the rest from October 1966, along with 2 studio tracks.

The EP is all live.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 6, 2015 15:49

Now we're talkin'...
I'm glad to have it in my collection. However, in my edition Route 66 is missing.

Date: November 6, 2015 15:51

Thommie
Now we're talkin'...
I'm glad to have it in my collection. However, in my edition Route 66 is missing.

confused smiley wtf...a Swedish EP. They could only inhibit 4 tracks or...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 6, 2015 16:03

Come On
Thommie
Now we're talkin'...

Yup, and the record was made in England!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 16:04 by Deltics.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 16:27

I love "I'm all right"
Even in their most Coke-fueled shows in the 70s they don't really approach the exuberance and hard-charging energy of this song.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 6, 2015 16:45

These recordings and the BBC live recordings from last week make evident that there was actually no need of studio sessions, The band is on a par live at this time. And astonishingly there are scarcely messy moments, they are playing more exactly than later on sometimes. I repeat my plea: Please more recordings from 62-65 if they exist!

Date: November 6, 2015 16:47

This EP has been included on several compilations as well. «Collector's Only» and «Stones Story 2: The Rest Of The Best» come to mind.

I have the original UK release, a 12" reissue (with the whole EP on both sides) + the two above mentioned compilations (there might be more?) – so I feel I'm covered on this one smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2015 17:29

I first purchased it as a 12"/45 rpm version, (together with those two other UK EPs) as it was reissued at the time (early/mid 80's). The cover didn't look aesthetically so nice, since the original size was just 'forced' bigger to fit the album size - cheap-looking, the black color having turned almost to grey, the letters looked fragile and abnormal etc. Sounded good though (as they still do - last summer I occasionally, after three decades, discovered the records, and played them like a madman).

But then in my first trip to London in 1986, I bought those three records as original 7" format (it was from Camden Market if memory serves). A great condition. If I recall right, the two others cost 3 pounds each, but for some reason LIVE! three and a half. Looked and sounded right!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 17:32 by Doxa.

Date: November 6, 2015 17:34

I presume you are all aware that there's some more exciting live stuff from this tour on the "Charlie Is My Darling" soundtrack.
Please don't get me wrong, I really love this stuff, but all live?
There are some doubts.
From Wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

Quote:
"Renowned for its raw-sounding quality, got LIVE if you want it! has endured as a live artifact, more for its historical than musical appeal. Reportedly engineer Glyn Johns had hung microphones over the balcony for the recording; however, this is called into question as "I'm Alright" on the Got Live If You Want It! LP (recorded and released a year later) contains the same backing track but with different vocals. This would have been impossible if the recordings were made as described. Additionally, "I'm Moving On" features (at the very least) a harmonica overdub as the instrument can be heard underneath Jagger's vocal during the first verse while Brian Jones (the group's other harmonica player) is playing slide guitar. These two tracks may even be studio recordings re-tooled to give the impression of being live. The lack of studio documentation relating to The Stones' Decca recordings makes this difficult to confirm but this approach was used the following year on the US Got Live If You Want It! LP."

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 6, 2015 17:42

Deltics
Come On
Thommie
Now we're talkin'...

Yup, and the record was made in England!

Correct! The pictured is exactly as mine. Made in England.

Date: November 6, 2015 17:47

Yeah, but 'We want the Stones' is not even a song, and that one replaced brilliant 'Route 66' for EP's in some countries...Sehr Strange...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 6, 2015 17:55

Come On
Yeah, but 'We want the Stones' is not even a song, and that one replaced brilliant 'Route 66' for EP's in some countries...Sehr Strange...

It didn't "replace" anything, it was there on all editions!

Edit: Apart from the German version, it would seem.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 17:58 by Deltics.

Date: November 6, 2015 17:58

One track less? In Germany we are used to it!
Over here the previous EP "Five By Five" despite the title had only four songs!
And the live shows in 1973 were shorter than their counterparts from the 72 tour, but I digress...

Date: November 6, 2015 18:50

Rank Stranger
And the live shows in 1973 were shorter than their counterparts from the 72 tour, but I digress...

But hey, you got your own album in 1964 - AROUND AND AROUND - a great compilation of their early British singles and EP tracks! (and was "2120 Sth Michican Avanue" even that longer one...). With that you didn't have any use for their fisrt two EPs...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 18:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 19:36

How about the famous Nanker Phelge song We Want The Stones that opens the EP! smiling smiley Nice way to get a songwriting credit for teenage girls screaming.

Not sure why they overdubbed this version of I'm Alright on Charlie Is My Darling as well as using it on the US Got Live LP with Mick overdubbing the lyrics?

Also, wonder why they put a reversed pic of Brian on the cover?

Date: November 6, 2015 20:54

Doxa
Rank Stranger

But hey, you got your own album in 1964 - AROUND AND AROUND - a great compilation of their early British singles and EP tracks! (and was "2120 Sth Michican Avanue" even that longer one...). With that you didn't have any use for their fisrt two EPs...

- Doxa

Phew! Yeah, but without live-version of 'Route 66' poooor germans...

Date: November 6, 2015 20:56

Come On
Doxa
Rank Stranger

- Doxa

Phew! Yeah, but without live-version of 'Route 66' poooor germans...

Luckily they got December's Children smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home