Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

From the Vault: Blu Rays only Reviews
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: November 4, 2015 22:03

It's difficult to sift through all the From the Vault threads for some definitive answers on the Blu Ray versions. Depending on how the show was originally filmed, video vs. film, the only advantage in some cases in the Blu Ray is the potential if they utilize the capability for better bit rate and quality for sound.

For LA, Hampton, and Toyko which were videotaped, can anyone confirm the sound is in fact higher quality than the standard DVDs.

Roundhay - Blu Ray is described as Standard Definition Blu Ray, but I thought this show was actually filmed, so it should be actual HD. Can someone confirm who owns the Blu Ray?

Just trying to make sure the extra $ for all on Blu Ray is worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 22:03 by Jimmy C.

Re: From the Vault: Blu Rays only Reviews
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 4, 2015 23:15

L.A. wasn't released on blu ray, Hampton and Tokyo have a better sound, Roundhay isn't released yet...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 4, 2015 23:30

For tokyo the difference is most noticeable i'd say.
The bluray is an improvement over the flac download.
For the others i am less sure.
For live in Texas i actually think the dvd is better...

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: November 4, 2015 23:51

Duh, didn't realize Roundhay wasn't out yet. That was filmed if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not sure why the Blu ray says Standard Definition Blu Ray.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 4, 2015 23:55

Ok the blu ray for Texas and Hampton both contain full 48khz PCM 5.1 Surround which effectively is CD quality from each channel, DVD resolution is at best half this data rate. Texas for example is pumped out at a rate of between 2.1 Mbps and 3.4 Mbps which is just fantastic.

They are listed as DTS HD Master Audio

They have far greater presence, sonic impact and depth.

You need to have an amplifier that is DTS-HD capable, which utilises HDMI connectors.

IMO they are a glorious immersive experiences that can be far more exciting than the LPCM Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1.

I recommend cycling through the audio options and when you get to DTS-HD you'll be amazed how much more you hear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-05 00:00 by SKILLS.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:07

I buy the Blurays, if available, just because they're only a couple dollars more than the regular DVD versions.
Unfortunately I don't have DTS-HD but any DVD I watch/listen to, I always opt for DTS over Dolby Digital 5.1 if it's available.

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:11

LA was released on Blu Ray. Here is a link to a review of Tokyo [www.blu-ray.com] There are also reviews of other Stones Blu Rays on this site.

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:16

My bad, LA was only released on dvd.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:18

Cheers, I'd just written a passage about what a disppointment it was that it wasn't released on SD-BluRay with DTS-HD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-05 00:20 by SKILLS.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 5, 2015 02:12

Worth getting on blu-ray - for sound quality : Sweet Summer Sun, Marquee Club, Hampton Coliseum. All of them have a sound track in high resolution (24 bit - 96kHz for the stereo PCM track) which is a great improvement over the CD. I guess it's the same with Tokyo Dome and Leeds '82.

Some Girls in Texas sounds about the same as the CD and LA Friday (unfortunately) was only released on DVD.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2015 02:19

kowalski
Worth getting on blu-ray - for sound quality : Sweet Summer Sun, Marquee Club, Hampton Coliseum. All of them have a sound track in high resolution (24 bit - 96kHz for the stereo PCM track) which is a great improvement over the CD. I guess it's the same with Tokyo Dome and Leeds '82.

Some Girls in Texas sounds about the same as the CD and LA Friday (unfortunately) was only released on DVD.

And what I wonder is the reason for that? Weren't they able to output the sound to a higher level.

...and while we're talking about sound quality, how do the vinyl versions compare to the blu rays?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 5, 2015 02:51

treaclefingers
kowalski

And what I wonder is the reason for that? Weren't they able to output the sound to a higher level.

...and while we're talking about sound quality, how do the vinyl versions compare to the blu rays?

The LA Forum DVD has a DTS track. It's possibly sounding better than the CD. Not sure about the resolution/sampling rate though.

According to Ward records (Japan) the vinyl are cut from the original HD digital masters. They should sound about the same as the blu-rays.
I've noticed that Eagle Rock vinyl usually sound really good. I have Marquee Club and Some Girls in Texas on vinyl. To me they're the best versions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home