Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ZZ Top and the Stones
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2015 06:30

I believe this is several years old, but now re-published 28 Oct 2015 .
Billy Gibbons talks about the Stones, Hendrix, Cream, Muddy Waters, and a bunch of other stuff.

Did anyone here see the Stones in Hawaii, 1972?

Billy Gibbon/ZZ Top

THE ROLLING STONES

The Stones had accepted an offer to make an appearance in Hawaii in 1972. It was three shows: a Friday night, a Saturday afternoon matinee and a Saturday evening. When the announcement was made it seemed that every band on the planet was vying to land the opening slot. Even today The Rolling Stones are ‘it’ as far as most bands are concerned. Somehow we got the call to take those three dates in Hawaii.

I remember walking out on stage in our standard attire of cowboy boots and a cowboy hat – which was something of a mystery to people back then – and someone in the front row shouted out: “Oh my God, they’re a country band!” Obviously that wasn’t particularly fashionable at the time. So we realised we had to get stuck in straight from the get-go to shake off this misleading image.

But we got along famously with the Stones and managed to hang out with them for a few extra days. We were just hanging out on the beach and sipping cool libations; Keith was totally living the rock’n’roll lifestyle at the time. But what a lot of people don’t know or realise is Keith’s unending devotion and calling to being what is true as a musician. That was very apparent then, although I have to say he was certainly a lot more colourful when it came to the extracurricular stuff.

More here: Billy G.

Re: ZZ Top and the Stones
Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: October 29, 2015 12:41

Good read - Thanks!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 29, 2015 13:35

I met drummer Franck Beard at the Compaq arena in Houston for the first of the Stones show in February 1998. He was flanked by a gorgeous blonde

Second row.

Very nice guy

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:47

Saw ZZ open for The Stones in Dallas in '81- along with The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Quite a line-up !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:56

"The Stones had accepted an offer to make an appearance in Hawaii in 1972. It was three shows: a Friday night, a Saturday afternoon matinee and a Saturday evening"

Wrong answer Billy! grinning smiley
Year was 1973 and it was a Sunday show followed by two gigs on Monday...
There's an audience recording of one of the ZZ Top shows in Hawai that year and frankly they were far from impressive... Otoh they were fantastic just two years later in 75.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 23:00 by dcba.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:06

Billy talks about it too on this video (from 1:45 onwards), which comes from ZZ Top's Live in Texas DVD:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 30, 2015 15:27

Keith inducting ZZ Top into the Hall Of Fame

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 18:53 by TooTough.

Date: October 30, 2015 16:02

Definitely 1973, not '72. There was a buzz back then that ZZ Top blew the Stones off stage those nights. I kind of doubt it. The Stones were arguably at their best that year.

Date: October 30, 2015 18:39

I recall during the Licks tour, Billy gave Keith a 'hot pink' or 'loud red' guitar as a gift which I saw Keith use at least once for Satisfaction I think.
Or was it neon green? haha

Can't find any info. or pics right now, but will continue looking...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 18:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 00:15

Here's what it sounded like on the night (22 January 73):

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 25, 2015 01:35

xke38

Wow nice thanks.
Just listened to first song - Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers - and granted the audio quality isn't the greatest, but contrary to what dcba posted sounds quite impressive to me.
Perhaps he heard the 'less than impressive' story from a diehard Stones fan? Just saw ZZ Top again a few months ago, and they still sound 'less than impressive', in other words - fantastic! winking smiley

Will listen to whole thing later, thanks again. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 01:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2015 01:56

Hairball
xke38

Wow nice thanks.
Just listened to first song - Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers - and granted the audio quality isn't the greatest, but contrary to what dcba posted sounds quite impressive to me.
Perhaps he heard the 'less than impressive' story from a diehard Stones fan? Just saw ZZ Top again a few months ago, and they still sound 'less than impressive', in other words - fantastic! winking smiley

Will listen to whole thing later, thanks again. thumbs up

Indeed some mighty fine playing by Billy Gibbons. That classic Les Paul cranked through a Marshall sound. He was smokin' man. Lotta sound for a 3-piece band.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 25, 2015 11:54

xke38

Never heard this before! What a night it must have been.

Mathijs

Date: November 25, 2015 11:58

Hairball
I recall during the Licks tour, Billy gave Keith a 'hot pink' or 'loud red' guitar as a gift which I saw Keith use at least once for Satisfaction I think.

Silver and pink smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 25, 2015 16:49

How cool to see them without beards!

Date: November 25, 2015 20:14

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Silver and pink smiling smiley

Yes that's it - thanks Dandelion!!! thumbs up

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 25, 2015 20:47

Hairball
Billy Gibbons talks about the Stones, Hendrix, Cream, Muddy Waters, and a bunch of other stuff.

Billy Gibbon/ZZ Top

THE ROLLING STONES

The Stones had accepted an offer to make an appearance in Hawaii in 1972. It was three shows: a Friday night, a Saturday afternoon matinee and a Saturday evening. When the announcement was made it seemed that every band on the planet was vying to land the opening slot. Even today The Rolling Stones are ‘it’ as far as most bands are concerned. Somehow we got the call to take those three dates in Hawaii.

I remember walking out on stage in our standard attire of cowboy boots and a cowboy hat – which was something of a mystery to people back then – and someone in the front row shouted out: “Oh my God, they’re a country band!” Obviously that wasn’t particularly fashionable at the time. So we realised we had to get stuck in straight from the get-go to shake off this misleading image.

But we got along famously with the Stones and managed to hang out with them for a few extra days. We were just hanging out on the beach and sipping cool libations; Keith was totally living the rock’n’roll lifestyle at the time. But what a lot of people don’t know or realise is Keith’s unending devotion and calling to being what is true as a musician. That was very apparent then, although I have to say he was certainly a lot more colourful when it came to the extracurricular stuff.

Personally I have never understood why people want to open for someone like the Stones. Playing in front of fans who bought tickets to see another band who are legends is not something I would be up for if I am a musician.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 25, 2015 21:06

You get to hangout backstage with them.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 26, 2015 13:41

stanlove
Hairball

Billy Gibbon/ZZ Top

THE ROLLING STONES

Personally I have never understood why people want to open for someone like the Stones. Playing in front of fans who bought tickets to see another band who are legends is not something I would be up for if I am a musician.

Because after opening for the Stones suddenly 60,000 people know your name, might buy your album and turn up at your next own gig? Just about any big name of the last 40 years has opened for the Stones at a moment in their carreer...

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home