Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: Too Tough
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 26, 2015 10:37

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Too Tough

Written by: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Recorded: November-December 1982 / June - August 1983, New York City, The Hit Factory/ Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France

Vocals: Mick Jagger
Electric Guitars: Ron Wood (inc. solo) Keith Richards, Mick Jagger
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Keyboards: Chuck Leavell
Percussion: Ian Stewart

Too Tough

If you want to wreck my life go ahead my love
Tried it once with poison, tried it once with drugs
My circulation's running dry it's you that drank me up
You screwed me down with kindness suffocating love

When it comes to fighting trying to play it rough
I will take you twenty rounds I'm just too tough, too tough
Too tough, too tough

Saw you on TV last night in a rerun soap
You were young and beautiful already without hope
But I don't think you ever knew what you've bitten off
But in the end, you spat me out, you could not chew me up

Too tough, too tough, too tough, too tough
-
I was married yesterday to a teenage bride
You said it's only physical but I love her deep inside
I still see you in my dreams with a kitchen knife
With it poised above your head now who you gonna slice?

Too tough, too tough

I don't think you'll ever know what you've bitten off
But in the end you spat me out, you could not chew me up

I was too tough
I was too tough
I was too tough

Produced by: The Glimmer Twins & Chris Kimsey

First released on: Undercover (LP) on 7 November, 1983 Rolling Stones Record

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-02 11:11 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Too Tough (New)
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 10:57

Crap

Rod

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 26, 2015 11:20

Fun lyrics!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 26, 2015 11:37

Filler. And not in a good way.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 26, 2015 11:50

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 26, 2015 12:01

A funny nice little Stones-rocker with great guitars, melody and bridge. It´s fun to listen to, like it is fun to listen to All The Way Down, Too Tight, Hang Fire and Let Me Go. Nothing earth-shaking, groundbreaking, but FUN. Isn´t that what it´s all about music? Having a good time listening to it? Not every Stones-song has to be a milestone like JJF or HTW or a dark and dangerous masterpiece like Gimme Shelter. Too Tough is just a funny piece of music that gives you a good time for 3 minutes, nothing more, nothing less. A good song from an almost-a-masterpiece-album. It is not a great tune and I could easily do without it, but it´s there and I like it. It´s only Rock n Roll.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 26, 2015 12:46

Ohhh man, nobody even approaches the Stones when it comes to blues-based rock and roll, and herein lies scorching proof. One of the very best tracks on Undercover, Too Tough rocks like a motherfvcker from those first snarling guitar chords and it never lets go. Just the sound of those guitars at the beginning smashes all my worldly cares to smithereens and makes me feel alive again. That kinetic, driving rhythm is out-of this world; no other group in the world can produce this sound. Charlie has never swung harder, nor has Wyman’s bass. Those take-no-prisoner, gloriously violent, worldly-wise lyrics brilliantly capture the psychological warfare and emotional brutality spawned by an expired relationship. Jagger’s battered-but-defiant delivery is superb (dig the subtle layering of his vocals). And the icing on the cake is Ronnie’s solo, which is simply fantastic; he wails like a banshee and melds perfectly into the jet-propelled sonic maelstrom that surrounds him on all sides.

A textbook example of Rolling Stones alchemy at its finest.

Drew

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 26, 2015 14:20

One of those songs that make UC album listenable

Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: October 26, 2015 14:25

drewmaster
Ohhh man, nobody even approaches the Stones when it comes to blues-based rock and roll, and herein lies scorching proof. One of the very best tracks on Undercover, Too Tough rocks like a motherfvcker from those first snarling guitar chords and it never lets go. Just the sound of those guitars at the beginning smashes all my worldly cares to smithereens and makes me feel alive again. That kinetic, driving rhythm is out-of this world; no other group in the world can produce this sound. Charlie has never swung harder, nor has Wyman’s bass. Those take-no-prisoner, gloriously violent, worldly-wise lyrics brilliantly capture the psychological warfare and emotional brutality spawned by an expired relationship. Jagger’s battered-but-defiant delivery is superb (dig the subtle layering of his vocals). And the icing on the cake is Ronnie’s solo, which is simply fantastic; he wails like a banshee and melds perfectly into the jet-propelled sonic maelstrom that surrounds him on all sdes.

A textbook example of Rolling Stones alchemy at its finest.

Correct. I especially love the double-tracked percussion,and Ronnie's solo cuts like a razor. This song sounds great on bar room jukeboxes.

Drew

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 26, 2015 14:43

Love this track, I think it is one of the best on the Undercover album. Great lyrics. This song, and much of the album, demonstrate some of the most mature M/K songwriting of all, imo.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: October 26, 2015 15:18

Filler. But a good one.

Date: October 26, 2015 16:13

I'm not really a fan what they did after 1983 although there are a some exception.........but hearing this song again after not listing it for years it ain't that bad ...exctually it sounds not bad at all............

Date: October 26, 2015 16:34

Here's an early take (from the Pathé Marconi-thread) where Mick sings the verses and Keith sings the choruses.

It's an interesting listen, and we get the idea of whom contributed what in the writing process of this tune.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 26, 2015 16:44

DandelionPowderman
Here's an early take (from the Pathé Marconi-thread) where Mick sings the verses and Keith sings the choruses.

It's an interesting listen, and we get the idea of whom contributed what in the writing process of this tune.

[www.youtube.com]

WOW! and here it's suddenly a great track...those studio-freaks really knows how to spoil good rock'n'roll...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: October 26, 2015 16:47

Come On
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

WOW! and here it's suddenly a great track...those studio-freaks really knows how to spoil good rock'n'roll...thumbs up

Yeah, same with Wanna Hold You HERE

Date: October 26, 2015 16:51

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, same with Wanna Hold You HERE

WOW again! This track too is marvellous! Real good @#$%& rock'n'roll...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2015 16:58

A bit Stones-by-numbers. Mick's leering vocals give it some character. Otherwise it's just whatever. UNDERCOVER sees the band stretching out but not all of U is that. Too Tough is decent filler. Maybe. Based on Charlie's stops in that rough mix it sounds like they didn't work on it much, which is odd in a way since it dates back to the BLACK AND BLUE sessions.

Nice to hear it unedited. The few songs that really went from down the middle of the road to how they wound up on U reveals a pretty good depth of how the Stones work on songs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 26, 2015 17:03

Not too bad of a tune, but kind of the beginnings of Stones cliche' guitar riffage -sounds like an attempt to capture the earlier glory of JJF, etc.
Then the chorus comes in, and it all falls apart to crap. Not sure we can blame that on Keith's contribution (if indeed that was really his contribution)
or Micks vocals, but it ruins the entire tune. And could this also be the beginning of Micks vocals sounding snotty and whiney?

No doubt the the earlier takes are superior, sounding closer in essence to the unreleased Criss Cross Man and that ilk.
Sloppy good stuff that should have been left the way it was. Instead it was sterilized and castrated.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 17:05

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

so much better. thanks for posting.

Date: October 26, 2015 17:12

Pity they didn't add Keith in the final mix ....................

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 26, 2015 17:24

Garbage

Date: October 26, 2015 17:30

Bashlets
Garbage

Still better than anything on SuperBag or whatever...

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 26, 2015 19:59

I like the song, a good old rock n roll song. A punching opening riff, to Ronnies razor sharp solo, a good example of how a Stones song should sound.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 26, 2015 20:23

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

so much better. thanks for posting.

Wouldn't it have been great if the bridge were sung by Keith also on the record?? On this take it sounds awesome!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-26 20:26 by Wild Slivovitz.

Date: October 26, 2015 21:35

I never cared for the thumping drum in the chorus, if that's what it really is. I dunno.

Date: October 26, 2015 22:02

Synth drum.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 26, 2015 22:09

Well...I love it!

A good rocker with great guitars, a great chorus and a mighty fine solo.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2015 22:09

Mediocrity at best by Stones standards. Lack the originality, depth of instrumentation, arrangement and organic production that made their best work so good.

It's not a particularly bad song but something about the truncated phrasing of the vocals and the unchanging repetition of the guitar track just makes me lose interest too quickly. The guitar breaks hint at a promise of something special but don't really go anywhere, just Ronnie stringing a bunch of unrelated lead lines together with a tone that doesn't really move me.

Not a tune I'm going to listen too by choice unfortunately.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2015 22:14

good but such a wind down after the onslaught of the first six tracks ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 26, 2015 22:15

Rockman
good but such a wind down after the onslaught of the first six tracks ...

+1

But it has a killer bridge and great guitars.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home