Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Magic Shop recording studio to close
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 10, 2015 06:04

David Bowie, Thurston Moore, Soul Asylum, Suzanne Vega, Blonde Redhead, Norah Jones...they all recorded there. It's also where some of the Stones "archival material" is restored.

This line jumped out at me and made me think of the fine musicians here on IORR who are creating their own magic via the internet:

At a time when a band can make a decent-sounding recording on an iPad, bookings at the $1,300-a-day studio are slow.

Everything comes with a price in life and I guess this is one of them.

Tried to post the article, but kept getting the Phantom Error message, so here's the link:

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-10 06:18 by latebloomer.

Re: The Magic Shop recording studio to close.
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 10, 2015 06:28

Hyper-gentrification is is a problem common to both New York and London, and probably other fashionable cities - there is big, big money in turning every spare piece of real estate into luxury apartments for sale to (typically) overseas investors to be rented out to the rich and the super-rich. The result is that the small shops, small businesses and small venues that make the atmosphere of a city - not to mention ordinary residents - are simply getting priced out of existence.

Re: The Magic Shop recording studio to close
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:40

Thanks for the post bloomer. Great article. Alas, many of the great recording rooms of the past have gone out of business and almost all bands are using home studios and ProTools or Logic to record most of the tracks on new releases.

I have a friend and neighbor who plays drums for a very popular Pop group, they have had 3 #1 Hits in the last couple years and I watched him do a complete drum track for one of their tunes using the keyboard on his Mac. Blasphemy some would say, but I swear the track sounded awesome! The plug in's and samples these days are just getting so good it's really changing the way people make high quality music.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home