Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 10, 2015 04:52

I really liked VL - pretty good tour too.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 10, 2015 07:40

Uniformly bad throughout, this is depressing to even contemplate. The Worst and Brand New Car are the 'highlights' I suppose, a few others which shall forever remain nameless to me are OK background noise but the rest which also naturally shall remain forever nameless is simply dreadful. Hadn't realized it till now but Dirty Work is inspired compared to this.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 10, 2015 07:56

Mediocre at best.

Enjoyed the tour.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 10, 2015 10:20

Love is Strong and The Worst are great tracks but overall this album is pretty average by their standards.
Bridges much more like it, best modern stones album with ABB just a notch below. The other post Undercover stuff I rarely bother with

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 10, 2015 10:22

Moonshine
Love is Strong and The Worst are great tracks but overall this album is pretty average by their standards.
Bridges much more like it, best modern stones album with ABB just a notch below. The other post Undercover stuff I rarely bother with
thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2015 13:14

I was really fooled by Love is strong (which I like, its a good if not great track) but the rest is just pointless. I remember thinking Bridges was bad and VL good - now it's the opposite. Bridges actually has some good tracks on it and one of Keiths best. Thief in the night. Not a great album at all but Flip the Switch is good. They really managed to hype anything in the 90s. To make everything sound and look much better than it really was. Funny.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 10, 2015 13:39

When it came out, I kinda liked it, but I haven't listened to it much ever since. I think for anyone who's not a Stones fan, the album sounds almost like archetypical post-70's/post-80's Stones: nothing new, nothing surprising, nothing special, nothing fresh. Stones by numbers.

Love Is Strong - Great
You Got Me Rocking - Works great live
Sparks Will Fly - Okay, but a bit filler really
The Worst - Okay
New Faces - Too pop, too evident
Moon Is Up - Nice try but doesn't work for me
Out of Tears - Typical kind of post 80's Stones ballad that I don't like much

I Go Wild - Almost the definition of "filler"
Brand New Car - It's sad that post-80's, when they do a bluesy tune (this one, or Break The Spell for instance), it's just an uninspired cliché
Sweethearts Together - I like it, just as I like Indian Girl. Actually I think their attempts at latin work better than their attempts at reggae (with the exception of Feel On Baby)
Suck on the Jugular - Rubbish
Blinded By Rainbows - Nothing
Baby Break It Down - Interesting song, maybe they should have worked it more
Thru and Thru - I like it. The only experiment on the album that works well.
Mean Disposition- Okay.

My playlist of this album would be:
Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sweethearts Together
Baby Break It Down
Thru and Thru

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:54

matxil
When it came out, I kinda liked it, but I haven't listened to it much ever since. I think for anyone who's not a Stones fan, the album sounds almost like archetypical post-70's/post-80's Stones: nothing new, nothing surprising, nothing special, nothing fresh. Stones by numbers.

Love Is Strong - Great
You Got Me Rocking - Works great live
Sparks Will Fly - Okay, but a bit filler really
The Worst - Okay
New Faces - Too pop, too evident
Moon Is Up - Nice try but doesn't work for me
Out of Tears - Typical kind of post 80's Stones ballad that I don't like much

I Go Wild - Almost the definition of "filler"
Brand New Car - It's sad that post-80's, when they do a bluesy tune (this one, or Break The Spell for instance), it's just an uninspired cliché
Sweethearts Together - I like it, just as I like Indian Girl. Actually I think their attempts at latin work better than their attempts at reggae (with the exception of Feel On Baby)
Suck on the Jugular - Rubbish
Blinded By Rainbows - Nothing
Baby Break It Down - Interesting song, maybe they should have worked it more
Thru and Thru - I like it. The only experiment on the album that works well.
Mean Disposition- Okay.

My playlist of this album would be:
Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sweethearts Together
Baby Break It Down
Thru and Thru

Funny, never really dug Thru and Thru until the Sopranos

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2015 00:15

A couple great Stones rockers, but not something I would listen to again. This began their looking back phase, consciously or unconsciously recreating the past. Bill said he thought they'd done it all and would just repeat themselves. Damn, how did he know?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 11, 2015 00:22

I come back to it, regularly, as I do to B2B, and Bigger Bang, but not Steel Wheels.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 11, 2015 01:02

Forever the album that did not live up to its promises. After the Steel Wheels album and tour, Main Offender and Wandering Spirit and corresponding solo live shows, epectations were high for the next "Stones thing". But when it came out, VL felt like a letdown. Today, I like it even lesser than at the time of release.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:04

Think my moniker says it all..............THE one album I cannot go without!! Still listen to it regularly - at least once a month.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 11, 2015 03:52

The Rolling Stones going to affect this album in Ireland at the home of Ron Wood, you feel it is a group work (listen to bootlegs), good to see Charlie experience the sound using a waste bin upside down, even some sounds of guitars are interesting . In my opinion one of the best albums ever by the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: redowen66 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 09:13

VL could have been great, WOULD have been great in the old, old vinyl days, when bands had to produce two sides of music that worked in a satisfying sequence. Because Jagger knows that 'no one sits and listens to a whole album anymore' he doesn't see the point in crafting a coherent listening experience.

As a result, after quite a strong run of songs, we get a rambling grab-bag of second rate stuff in the final third of the record. For example we get half baked closing songs (Baby Break it down - which should have been GREAT - why is it so slow and laboured??)) marooned in the middle of what would have been side two.

Faced with this refusal to craft an album we are forced to (and in this digital age enabled to) create our own Voodoo Lounges, as someone stated a few posts back.

My suggestion is , like Tattoo You, a rock side and a ballad side.

Love is Strong
You Got me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Storm
Moon is Up
Brand new car

New Faces
The Worst
Sweethearts Together
Out of tears
Thru and Thru

One last thing: 'Blinded By Rainbows' shows out out of touch Jagger had become. Whilst he used to be literate, oblique and memorable ('Sympathy for the Devil') he produces a horribly banal song with the ground breaking message us that terrorism is bad.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 09:40

Testify
The Rolling Stones going to affect this album in Ireland at the home of Ron Wood, you feel it is a group work (listen to bootlegs), good to see Charlie experience the sound using a waste bin upside down, even some sounds of guitars are interesting . In my opinion one of the best albums ever by the Rolling Stones.

i'm guessing it was recorded in ireland for tax reasons.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 11, 2015 10:14

VL would have been a better album without Don Was 'The Anti-groove'.

Don Was is definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

Date: October 11, 2015 10:15

KRiffhard

Don Was is definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

sounds like they didn't have the right guy in the room to work on the groove... :-)

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 11, 2015 13:48

Turner68
KRiffhard

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

sounds like they didn't have the right guy in the room to work on the groove... :-)

Has Don Was ever been the right guy?
Seems like they have worked with the wrong guys for the last 30 years.
Don Was, Chuck L., Matt C.
Why they been stuck with those guys!!!!

Date: October 11, 2015 15:44

Turner68
Testify

And because Ronnie lived there and they did the preprod in his studio?

Date: October 11, 2015 16:21

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
Testify

Well it makes sense to do the pre-production in the studio where you're going to record.
As for Ronnie living there... The stones have been known to live places for tax reasons too... :-)

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 11, 2015 17:34

redowen66
VL could have been great, WOULD have been great in the old, old vinyl days, when bands had to produce two sides of music that worked in a satisfying sequence. Because Jagger knows that 'no one sits and listens to a whole album anymore' he doesn't see the point in crafting a coherent listening experience.

As a result, after quite a strong run of songs, we get a rambling grab-bag of second rate stuff in the final third of the record. For example we get half baked closing songs (Baby Break it down - which should have been GREAT - why is it so slow and laboured??)) marooned in the middle of what would have been side two.

Faced with this refusal to craft an album we are forced to (and in this digital age enabled to) create our own Voodoo Lounges, as someone stated a few posts back.

My suggestion is , like Tattoo You, a rock side and a ballad side.

Love is Strong
You Got me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Storm
Moon is Up
Brand new car

New Faces
The Worst
Sweethearts Together
Out of tears
Thru and Thru

One last thing: 'Blinded By Rainbows' shows out out of touch Jagger had become. Whilst he used to be literate, oblique and memorable ('Sympathy for the Devil') he produces a horribly banal song with the ground breaking message us that terrorism is bad.

However, maybe "Blinded by Rainbows" is devised to be heard by potential terrorists, with an aim to influence some of them. That motive for a song is not banal or trivial from my point of view.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:29

Witness
redowen66

However, maybe "Blinded by Rainbows" is devised to be heard by potential terrorists, with an aim to influence some of them. That motive for a song is not banal or trivial from my point of view.

It's one of the few songs on the album I thought was actually worth listening to. Far from showing Jagger to be out of touch, for a change the song was actually about something besides how intensely he suffers from priapism.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:50

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
Testify

Well it makes sense to do the pre-production in the studio where you're going to record.
As for Ronnie living there... The stones have been known to live places for tax reasons too... :-)

They only used one song that was recorded at Ronnie's.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2015 19:47

In regards to the album...

Love Is Strong *****
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst *****
New Faces **
Moon Is Up ****
Out Of Tears *****
I Go Wild *****
Brand New Car ****
Sweethearts Together
Suck On The Jugular ***
Blinded By Rainbows **
Baby Break It Down ****
Thru and Thru ****
Mean Disposition ***

In regards to the catalogue...

Love Is Strong ***
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst *****
New Faces
Moon Is Up ***
Out Of Tears ****
I Go Wild ***
Brand New Car ***
Sweethearts Together
Suck On The Jugular **
Blinded By Rainbows **
Baby Break It Down ***
Thru and Thru ***
Mean Disposition **

How it should've been released...

Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
The Worst
Brand New Car
Suck On The Jugular
Baby Break It Down
I'm Gonna Drive
Thru and Thru

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-06 18:19 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 11, 2015 20:12

blivet
Witness
redowen66

It's one of the few songs on the album I thought was actually worth listening to. Far from showing Jagger to be out of touch, for a change the song was actually about something besides how intensely he suffers from priapism.

Not to mention, it's a great song!

Date: October 13, 2015 01:28

Is there anyone who thinks this album is better than crosseyed heart?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 13, 2015 03:55

KRiffhard

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

I don't buy this as an excuse. Jagger claiming that he did not have the final say? Nonsense. My guess is that the album did not develop into the direction Mick envisioned. It's an artistic/musical problem, not a problem of Don Was pushing the album into the wrong direction.

So Mick and Charlie "worked on a lot of groove things"? Fine. But obviously these "groove things" did not develop into suitable, releasable songs. Who's to blame? The producer? Don Was responsible for the songwriting department of the Stones? C'mon, Mick!

I mean, if "Suck On The Jugular", the only "groove thing" to speak of on the released album, is the best tune they could come up with, sounding more or less exactly like one of the "Sweet Thing" mixes on a Jagger solo CD single with new vocals, how bad must the other groove tunes they were working on actually be?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-13 07:31 by alimente.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 13, 2015 12:13

Suck On The Jugular is an outstanding good track, to me it doesnt sound like Sweet Thing.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 13, 2015 12:29

Quote: 'It's one of the few songs on the album I thought was actually worth listening to. Far from showing Jagger to be out of touch, for a change the song was actually about something besides how intensely he suffers from priapism.'

Consider myself fairly well read, but had to look up the word 'priapism'
LMAO.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 13, 2015 12:58

Love Is Strong - Great
You Got Me Rocking - Great
Sparks Will Fly - Can live without
The Worst - Okay
New Faces - good melody
Moon Is Up - worked well live, not quite so in the record, but at least is an interesting tune.
Out of Tears - a little "power - balladish", but good

I Go Wild - not necessary, but not bad. Could have been a great B-side
Brand New Car - like it
Sweethearts Together - horrible
Suck on the Jugular - fun
Blinded By Rainbows - same as "out Of Tears". I think they should have picked either one or the other. Between these two I'd go for "Out of tears".
Baby Break It Down - doesn't keep its promises
Thru and Thru - great
Mean Disposition- Very good, one of the best.

Hence, I would recraft the record as follows:

1) Love Is Strong
2) You Got Me Rocking
3) Moon Is Up
4) The Worst
5) Mean Disposition
6) Out Of Tears
7) Suck On The Jugular OR I Go Wild
8) New Faces
9) Brand New Car
10)Through and Through

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home