Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: October 8, 2015 23:50

NWA?????????????????WTF In my opinion Gregg Allman says it well, rap is spelled with silent "C", That shit should not be classified with or be anywhere close to this Hall, let them built there own damn place if they want too. Thanks For Letting me get on my soapbox here...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:00

BamaStone
NWA?????????????????WTF In my opinion Gregg Allman says it well, rap is spelled with silent "C", That shit should not be classified with or be anywhere close to this Hall, let them built there own damn place if they want too. Thanks For Letting me get on my soapbox here...

I think the point here is that the damn hall has become a joke itself.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 9, 2015 07:22

What would happen if a nominee would say no?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 9, 2015 07:30

shattered
Get taken off the nomination ballot? I don't see why they would. And even if they did say they disagree with it, they basically seal them not getting voted in. Easy solution.

As for them actually being one of the 6 nominated and rejecting it? Its happened before with the Sex Pistols and they still got inducted by Jann Wenner. So basically, there's still gonna put you in regardless of what you think.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2015 07:33

shattered

>Just say no

Date: October 9, 2015 08:54

I wish grand funk railroad were more popular. they are so under the radar that no one involved in the HOF has ever put them up for nomination. shame on grand funk railroad for being so obscure eye rolling smiley

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 9, 2015 09:09

The R n' R H.O.F. started out with what I thought was supposedly good intentions. I was part of the original voting committee and was the person who started and did the very first video presentation at the very first award ceremony in 1986 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC.(Don't get me started on that).
But the more and more as the years went on the more I felt this was not as much as about people and artist that deserve to be part of "Rock n Roll" hall of fame but record labels getting their artist who have been around with a hit record for at least 25 years, whether they had anything to do with Rock n Roll or not. Also the seriousness in picking the final 8 to be at the award show seemed to diminish as the years went by. I have heard many crazy stories on the way the final got or did not get a vote and it had nothing to do with merit. I dropped out of being on the voting committee many years ago.
Putting the R n' R H.O.F. museum in Cleveland has its good points and a couple not so good points. But I would recommend a visit to there if your "ever in" Cleveland,. There's more to say but I'm stopping here

Date: October 9, 2015 12:30

keefriffhard4life
I wish grand funk railroad were more popular. they are so under the radar that no one involved in the HOF has ever put them up for nomination. shame on grand funk railroad for being so obscure eye rolling smiley

Didn't they have a gold (color) album in the seventies ? Also remember their classic song "Bad Tme to be in love" - not sure of the title.

Date: October 9, 2015 12:33

Chris Fountain
keefriffhard4life

Didn't they have a gold (color) album in the seventies ? Also remember their classic song "Bad Tme to be in love" - not sure of the title.

are you being sarcastic too?

Date: October 9, 2015 12:36

keefriffhard4life
Chris Fountain
keefriffhard4life

No- just can't remember- 40 years is a long time- I'll look it up on wiki

Date: October 9, 2015 12:43

Here's the link- [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: October 9, 2015 13:56

Chris Fountain
keefriffhard4life
Chris Fountain
keefriffhard4life

No- just can't remember- 40 years is a long time- I'll look it up on wiki

the gold colored album was "American band". the song is "bad time". the band has sold over 15 million albums in the usa. they scored 2 #! hits, a total of 6 top 20 hits and a total of 9 top 40 hits. they also sold out shea stadium faster than the beatles

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 9, 2015 14:07

Cheap Trick are certainly deserving. I can remember hunting down the Budokan LP on import when I was in high school because Epic didn't release it in the states at first. They are still a fine band with all the original members (albeit without Bun E. Carlos live. Can't tour due to health issues. Very nice man.). They still have their chops & then some. I certainly think (this one will be a little controversial) Nine Inch Nails is deserving, too. Trent Reznor is a pioneer & continues to put out amazing music. The last NIN tour was stunning both audibly & visually. I would love to see the Flaming Lips get in. Another band that just continues to get better. Probably too much of a cult thing though. + not from NYC. That seems to be a big factor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-09 14:09 by crholmstrom.

Date: October 9, 2015 18:13

crholmstrom
Cheap Trick are certainly deserving. I can remember hunting down the Budokan LP on import when I was in high school because Epic didn't release it in the states at first. They are still a fine band with all the original members (albeit without Bun E. Carlos live. Can't tour due to health issues. Very nice man.). They still have their chops & then some. I certainly think (this one will be a little controversial) Nine Inch Nails is deserving, too. Trent Reznor is a pioneer & continues to put out amazing music. The last NIN tour was stunning both audibly & visually. I would love to see the Flaming Lips get in. Another band that just continues to get better. Probably too much of a cult thing though. + not from NYC. That seems to be a big factor.

"Surrender" rocks!!!

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 9, 2015 18:49

Good god.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 9, 2015 19:17

I think I'm going to start feeling proud that the J Geils Band AREN'T in the R&RHOF and I LOVE 'EM ANYWAY. Turn my stance around to: "The R&RHOF doesn't deserve to have JGB in it!"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 9, 2015 19:47

mr_dja has a great fix and to nominate the players since the current process is broken.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 9, 2015 19:47

Can't say I like the Smiths, but they deserve to be there.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2015 21:01

You can vote for 5 but I only voted for 3. Yes, Chicago and Deep Purple.

Chicago 17.47% (14,446,972 votes)
The Cars 17.46% (14,442,083 votes)
Yes 17.12% (14,161,003 votes)
Deep Purple 17.00% (14,059,991 votes)
Steve Miller 16.97% (14,031,016 votes)
Janet Jackson 9.22% (7,629,130 votes)
Chaka Khan 1.00% (822,926 votes)
The Spinners 0.76% (627,609 votes)
Chic 0.64% (532,785 votes)
Cheap Trick 0.64% (525,835 votes)
N.W.A 0.57% (467,725 votes)
The J.B.'s 0.38% (313,355 votes)
The Smiths 0.33% (273,859 votes)
Los Lobos 0.26% (212,332 votes)
Nine Inch Nails 0.19% (154,284 votes)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-10 21:03 by tatters.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 10, 2015 21:18

VideoJames
The R n' R H.O.F. started out with what I thought was supposedly good intentions. I was part of the original voting committee and was the person who started and did the very first video presentation at the very first award ceremony in 1986 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC.(Don't get me started on that).
But the more and more as the years went on the more I felt this was not as much as about people and artist that deserve to be part of "Rock n Roll" hall of fame but record labels getting their artist who have been around with a hit record for at least 25 years, whether they had anything to do with Rock n Roll or not. Also the seriousness in picking the final 8 to be at the award show seemed to diminish as the years went by. I have heard many crazy stories on the way the final got or did not get a vote and it had nothing to do with merit. I dropped out of being on the voting committee many years ago.
Putting the R n' R H.O.F. museum in Cleveland has its good points and a couple not so good points. But I would recommend a visit to there if your "ever in" Cleveland,. There's more to say but I'm stopping here

thumbs up Thanks VideoJames.

its past time for deep purple
Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:22

its past time, way past, for deep purple to be enshrined into the rock n roll hall of fame, with their contemps Sabbath and zeppelin,i don't what problems wenner and his cronies have with purple, but who cares its time

Re: its past time for deep purple
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:30

ok

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 03:30

Deep Purple is a bigger deal to the Brits. For Americans, they're basically just the band that put out Smoke on the Water.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 11, 2015 03:34

dgodkin
its past time, way past, for deep purple to be enshrined into the rock n roll hall of fame, with their contemps Sabbath and zeppelin,i don't what problems wenner and his cronies have with purple, but who cares its time

Ian Gillian is hilarious here>>>
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 03:34 by triceratops.

Posted by: FickyStingers ()
Date: October 11, 2015 04:25

And where the heck is BLUE OYSTER CULT?

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 11, 2015 14:23

tatters

WTF, democracy doesn't work!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 11, 2015 15:04

Bobbyb98
Deep Purple is a bigger deal to the Brits. For Americans, they're basically just the band that put out Smoke on the Water.

I don't entirely agree with you. Whilst they probably became a bigger act in the United Kingdom post-Black Night, Deep Purple actually broke the U.S. before they even registered in their homeland. Hush reached #4 on Billboard and several of their albums charted in the upper-reaches, stateside.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 15:21 by Big Al.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 11, 2015 15:06

2000man
tatters

WTF, democracy doesn't work!

Yes, that is rather appalling, admittedly.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 11, 2015 16:37

Yes it's turned into a museum instead of a hall of fame, now if you've been around long enough you get in despite the quality of the music or it's lasting impact.

That being said I see some bands that are long overdue. And some that don't deserve mention much less a nomination.

Still a cool museum in Cleveland too.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 11, 2015 17:16

Boognish
No Harry Nilsson???

Thank you! So under-rated. Love Nilsson.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home