Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Mick in Cuba
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 12, 2015 22:18

Mick Jagger, Julien Temple and Carlos Acosta working on BBC film series in Cuba

Jagger is old friends BBC Creative Director Alan Yentob, who will also be working on the project

Ian Burrell
12 October 2015

Getty

The BBC’s Creative Director Alan Yentob is working with Mick Jagger, the film director Julien Temple and ballet dancer Carlos Acosta on a series of films about the new Cuba.

Only weeks after the Caribbean nation re-opened relations with the United States, Yentob told The Independent that Temple was currently with Jagger in the Cuban capital Havana working on a “long-term project” to create the latest in a series of city-based films for the flagship BBC1 arts show Imagine. Previous films have featured London and Rio de Janeiro.

The Imagine host said he hoped to capture the story of a potential Rolling Stones concert in Havana, which could provide the finale for the band’s South American tour next spring. “We have started filming and this is going to be a project which will have a theatrical life (cinema release),” he said. Yentob, who is old friends with Jagger, also worked with Temple on Requiem for Detroit, a remarkable BBC2 film exploring the cultural and economic story of one of America’s greatest industrial cities.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 12, 2015 22:25

Thanks bye bye Johnny, as usual you come through with another post with great content.

I wonder if one of the reasons Mick is a bit infatuated with Cuba is because of the dancing. Those Cubans take that stuff pretty seriously. I've got a buddy who goes there every year to visit and he's got a half a dozen special shoes just for dancing in! It ain't all about cool old cars.

Date: October 12, 2015 22:31

At the Shangri La Club in Havana last week:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 12, 2015 22:37

Oh dear...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:06

bye bye johnny
At the Shangri La Club in Havana last week:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

thumbs upeye rolling smileythumbs up

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:07

Naturalust
Thanks bye bye Johnny, as usual you come through with another post with great content.

I wonder if one of the reasons Mick is a bit infatuated with Cuba is because of the dancing. Those Cubans take that stuff pretty seriously. I've got a buddy who goes there every year to visit and he's got a half a dozen special shoes just for dancing in! It ain't all about cool old cars.

I'm sure he is quite good. Mick - automobile by day, clubs by night, and this show is gonna happen. Thanks Naturalust.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:53

This sounds like a good idea and would make for an interesting film. They must
be shooting the advance negotians now with Mick present. Probably visiting historic sites etc. while the cameras roll. This is much more practical now
As opposed to the days close to the concert.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:54

Sir Mick Jagger was in Havana last week, which was great for us because it just happened to be Brit Week 2015 – a celebration of music, sport, theatre, film and photography. Here he is with Ambassador Tim Cole following a chat about music and 2015 being a historic year for Cuba. Let’s hope Sir Mick will be back in town in the not too distant future with the Rolling Stones! Fingers crossed.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 13, 2015 00:07

Good on yer Mick.

Promoting great British music in Cuba where they love great music and dance.

Looking forward to March 2016. smileys with beer

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 13, 2015 00:14

Cristiano Radtke
Sir Mick Jagger was in Havana last week, which was great for us because it just happened to be Brit Week 2015 – a celebration of music, sport, theatre, film and photography. Here he is with Ambassador Tim Cole following a chat about music and 2015 being a historic year for Cuba. Let’s hope Sir Mick will be back in town in the not too distant future with the Rolling Stones! Fingers crossed.

[www.facebook.com]

Touring Hair!!! CUBA bring it on!!!

Date: October 13, 2015 04:11

The bus stops here

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2015 04:13

Cool shots of Mick ... fanks bye bye johnny

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 07:20

bye bye johnny

The bus stops here

[www.facebook.com]

thumbs up pretty cool
obvious donation there

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:28

Love these shots that Bye Bye Johnny sends!

Mick in Cuba for BBC Documentary series... gig mentioned
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:34

according to the UK newspaper the Grauniad (sorry Guardian), Mick is planning a TV series in Cuba - working with Julien Temple and Yentob (a BBC luvvy involved in the charity bankrupcy failure recently). To quote Yentob:

..he hoped to capture the story of a potential Rolling Stones concert in Havana, which could provide the finale for the band’s South American tour next spring

Seems to confirm the SA tour, but Cuba still uncertain..

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 13, 2015 09:38

That looks very, very promising - both for the date in Cuba and the eventual documentary. The idea must be to continue the programme to cover the show itself if and when it happens.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 13, 2015 18:58

I wonder if Sir Michael is the only 72-year-old in the world who still likes to go to discos and nightclubs?

Posted by: tweedamp3 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 21:34

I will be in Havana on Thursday, I will try to see if Mick is still in town.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:59

Mick (72) is really amazing. Rock on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-14 01:00 by 1962.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 14, 2015 05:57

bye bye johnny

The bus stops here

[www.facebook.com]

The bucks start here.

Mick makes a sexy saint, doesn't he?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 14, 2015 09:09

Stoneage
I wonder if Sir Michael is the only 72-year-old in the world who still likes to go to discos and nightclubs?

I've talked to people in that age range who want to go to such clubs but get frowned at by others there, so don't go. Celebrity lends its own cachet.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 14, 2015 09:36

Stoneage

For sure, and why not, some how he pulls it off, he has the body of a 20 something year old. I don'y know how he does it, maybe he is an alien lol

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 14, 2015 15:45

Well in my opinion The Stones will not play a concert in Cuba,let me give you the reasons.....
1 Cuba doesn't have private concert promoters with the money to upfront the cash that the Stones demand for a concert,there are no private businesses such as beer companies ect who will act as sponsors..
2 The economy in Cuba is in extremely bad shape,the average salary for a typical cuban worker is aprox $ 20.00 per month,which will make it almost impossible for an average person to buy tickets for such a concert (unless the band does it for free) which l truly doubt... [bestcubaguide.com]
3-Most young people in Cuba have been raised listening to other types of music,Hip Hop,Salsa,etc,so l don't think that a concert by The Stones in Cuba would be a big deal for most Cubans,again if its a free concert all Cubans would attend just for the novelty,Now, a possibility could be that the BBC,would sponsor the show as part of the documentary that Mick and Julien Temple are doing right now in Cuba... Anyway, jus my two cents worth.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: October 14, 2015 16:46

ROPENI
Well in my opinion The Stones will not play a concert in Cuba,let me give you the reasons.....
1 Cuba doesn't have private concert promoters with the money to upfront the cash that the Stones demand for a concert,there are no private businesses such as beer companies ect who will act as sponsors..
2 The economy in Cuba is in extremely bad shape,the average salary for a typical cuban worker is aprox $ 20.00 per month,which will make it almost impossible for an average person to buy tickets for such a concert (unless the band does it for free) which l truly doubt... [bestcubaguide.com]
3-Most young people in Cuba have been raised listening to other types of music,Hip Hop,Salsa,etc,so l don't think that a concert by The Stones in Cuba would be a big deal for most Cubans,again if its a free concert all Cubans would attend just for the novelty,Now, a possibility could be that the BBC,would sponsor the show as part of the documentary that Mick and Julien Temple are doing right now in Cuba... Anyway, jus my two cents worth.....

I think they're past those problems (which are plausible indeed) now..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2015 19:43

ROPENI, those are all good points, but it's obvious to me the Stones are going to do this for other reasons besides business and profit. The historical aspect of playing in Cuba and the thrill of playing to an audience who has never heard them live are probably the main reasons. Certainly lots of international press will result from the affair. I look at it like a big club show for them.

Perhaps fat cats like Raul Castro and his buddies are Stones fans and will sweeten the pot somehow. lol

In any case it will interesting to see how the Cubans react to the show. My guess is that they will be swept up in the pure excitement and grandness of the event. Regardless of their tastes in music, it's hard not to imagine them being moved by loud guitars, fancy lights and visuals and of course Mick's dancing. smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 14, 2015 20:17

ROPENI

There has been a lot of rumours already posted on this thread about a free concert in Cuba, so the ticket prices wouldn't be a problem, if the free concert is confirmed, of course.

The Cubans have their own great, rich and soulful music, but on the later years a lot of bands went there to play. Manic Street Preachers, Audioslave, Sepultura and Simply Red, to name a few. There's even a heavy metal festival there, so I'm pretty sure the Stones would not be seen just as a novelty, imo.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 14, 2015 23:56

This is the band that recorded Street Fighting Man. I am sure they will perform in Cuba. All it takes is a sponsor. Cuba is the largest country in the Caribean people wise. This is a unique opportunity for the Stones, for the Cuban people, for Mick, for the fans, for music, it is win-win. Just the royalties from the recordings - a DVD, a movie, whatever, will pay for the added cost, it is half a week after Mexico City, just a short flight, it is not the end of the world.

Bjornulf

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 15, 2015 00:10

"...This is the band that recorded Street Fighting Man. I am sure they will perform in Cuba...."

I like your associaton BV. I really like it!

Date: October 15, 2015 01:03

Naturalust
ROPENI, those are all good points, but it's obvious to me the Stones are going to do this for other reasons besides business and profit. The historical aspect of playing in Cuba and the thrill of playing to an audience who has never heard them live are probably the main reasons. Certainly lots of international press will result from the affair. I look at it like a big club show for them.

Perhaps fat cats like Raul Castro and his buddies are Stones fans and will sweeten the pot somehow. lol

In any case it will interesting to see how the Cubans react to the show. My guess is that they will be swept up in the pure excitement and grandness of the event. Regardless of their tastes in music, it's hard not to imagine them being moved by loud guitars, fancy lights and visuals and of course Mick's dancing. smoking smiley

You may be right Nat,we will see,l hope the concert comes about,as a matter of fact if possible l will attend since l am right next door in Puerto Rico....

Date: October 15, 2015 01:35

bv
This is the band that recorded Street Fighting Man. I am sure they will perform in Cuba. All it takes is a sponsor. Cuba is the largest country in the Caribean people wise. This is a unique opportunity for the Stones, for the Cuban people, for Mick, for the fans, for music, it is win-win. Just the royalties from the recordings - a DVD, a movie, whatever, will pay for the added cost, it is half a week after Mexico City, just a short flight, it is not the end of the world.

Cuba does not have private companies that could sponsor a Rolling Stones show,having said that perhaps the government will do it,or maybe some promoter from the states will put up the money,and sell special packages for people to visit Cuba and see The Stones,but the local population will never in its majority be able to afford the tickets, then again using your suggestion of a DVD etc,they may play for free,will see.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home