Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: things the rolling stones did that really, really, really got you ballistic
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2015 18:32

TheGreek
Naturalust
Olly
Olly
Big Al
Olly
Big Al
I concur somewhat with Naturalust, here.

Although he has seemingly mellowed towards him in recent years, Keith's comments towards Brian in the 25x5 documentary really rather shocked me: 'Hey, you cock, you're fired' and, of course, 'shit happens' when referring to Brian's passing.

Used as a friendly form of address.

In what country and culture? Certainly, in this particular context, it isn't particularly friendly.

You're British aren't you, Al?

I believe Richards said 'cock' as opposed to 'you cock'. He means 'Hey pal' or 'Hey mate':

noun
British informal
a friendly form of address among men.
"please yourself, cock"

Big Al, you must have heard the expression, surely?

When I first heard the term from Keith I was shocked too. Asked about it here on iorr and some kind soul explained it was a relatively benign slang somehow referring to cockney (a native of east London).

But in context "Hey cock, you're fired" it couldn't have been all that friendly, sounded pretty venomous coming from Keith actually.

I can't quite remember the source, possibly an Anita interview, but someone around the Stones at that time said Mick and Keith were very brutal to Brian. Of course they were young arrogant and less than mature punks at the time so it's easy to understand. It's also easy to imagine Keith's heroin addiction was karma playing itself out for how they treated Brian and his drug problems.
intresting perspective about karma and Keith's heroin addiction . Never thought of it that way but it does fit ! you are a very wise man !

Yes, so convenient. What bunk!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2015 18:35

Wild Slivovitz
Picking "Streets Of Love" as first single from " Bigger Bang"

And in a soap opera at that!!!!!!!!!

Although in the US the immensely better Rough Justice was the first single. At least that's how I recall it.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 30, 2015 18:41

kammpberg
The lowest point for me was gathering my friends to watch the Stones live on Saturday Night Live in 1978 and saying how they were the greatest etc. Jagger had no voice but the lowest was when he tongue kissed/licked Ronnie Wood uh - that was so awful. I was embarrassed.

That was fantastic

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: September 30, 2015 19:12

Releasing archive material on download only for it to be released again in a physical format knowing full well that we will pay for it twice.

Releasing two versions of A Bigger Bang within 12 months, for the same reasons as above.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 30, 2015 19:35

potus43
kammpberg
The lowest point for me was gathering my friends to watch the Stones live on Saturday Night Live in 1978 and saying how they were the greatest etc. Jagger had no voice but the lowest was when he tongue kissed/licked Ronnie Wood uh - that was so awful. I was embarrassed.

That was fantastic
I find Mick's current "straight" act more offensive.

Date: September 30, 2015 21:19

Captain Teague
Releasing archive material on download only for it to be released again in a physical format knowing full well that we will pay for it twice.

Releasing two versions of A Bigger Bang within 12 months, for the same reasons as above.

....and ticket prices....

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 30, 2015 22:43

lem motlow
that friggin gregory ape,good god what a dumbass idea.i dont even know why i think it sucked so bad,but it just sucked.i hope they discontinue that whole compilation and act as if it never existed,it was just pointless.

it was actually called grrrr.

they made you say grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, though, didn't they?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:01

CloudCat
they made you say grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, though, didn't they?

LoFL :E

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:20

That horrible middle section of Rocks Off on Live Licks. Quite clearly no one had bothered to listen to it (or they didn't care), but they expected us to buy it. unforgivable. I can't play the album because of that song.

Date: September 30, 2015 23:32

Ron Wood. Not just a cheap shot, I believe many other Brit guitarists would have done better.

Date: September 30, 2015 23:39

DoomandGloom
Ron Wood. Not just a cheap shot, I believe many other Brit guitarists would have done better.

And would probably turned the Stones into a more normal rock band as well. Thank god that didn't happen.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:46

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

And would probably turned the Stones into a more normal rock band as well. Thank god that didn't happen.

Yeah normal as in broken up and a thin of the past. Like him or not you've got to believe guys like Charlie who say his acting as a link between Mick and Keith probably saved the band. Besides who else could have handled Keith so well in his late 70's state without pissing Mick off in the process. That guy is a politician man!

Date: September 30, 2015 23:49

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

Yeah normal as in broken up and a thin of the past. Like him or not you've got to believe guys like Charlie who say his acting as a link between Mick and Keith probably saved the band. Besides who else could have handled Keith so well in his late 70's state without pissing Mick off in the process. That guy is a politician man!

I meant musically.

Date: September 30, 2015 23:56

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

I meant musically.

I refuse to go there lest I incriminate myself and become labeled an even bigger Taylor-ite than kleermaker. grinning smiley Besides, his performances on the Zip Code tour have rightfully sealed my lips.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: October 1, 2015 00:15

Cock IS a term of endearment in England whether you choose to believe it or not. Cock and cocker have been used for many many years. This postcard is from the mid 1950s.
Cock is regularly used in the North of England in place of words like mate, love, pal, dear, duck, ducky etc. Now mainly heard from the lips of the older generation. My Grandmother regularly called us all cock and it was in no way offensive.
Its very amusing that some people cant open their minds to the fact that some words have very different meanings in different parts of the world. You are hearing only what you want to hear.

"id love a fag cock"

Date: October 1, 2015 00:28

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

I meant musically.

I refuse to go there lest I incriminate myself and become labeled an even bigger Taylor-ite than kleermaker. grinning smiley Besides, his performances on the Zip Code tour have rightfully sealed my lips.
their recorded history beyond MT is very spotty. Certainly he's done his share to keep the ball going but there's too much credit here making him a savior. 2015 showed him in a competent role but should he be applauded for not doing so at a million bucks a night? Too many sloppy, disinterested tours not to be considered a mistake.

Date: October 1, 2015 00:38

The only bad ones were Licks and BB. He was a bit anonymous on B2B/NS, but I'm pretty sure he was told to be..

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:05

Hmm I have thought long and hard about this
My thing would be letting Goddard put all those pretentious scenes between the scenes of the stones recording SFTD in 1+1
I go ballistic every time I have to fast forward !!!!

Date: October 1, 2015 02:10

grinning smiley

Date: October 1, 2015 02:18

ThankGod

"id love a fag cock"

Try that one in San Francisco and you will get a slightly different response than a cigarette. Ha!

I don't think anyone is having trouble understanding the benign meaning of cock in England, it's more the way it was delivered by Keith when telling the story.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:46

ThankGod

Cock IS a term of endearment in England whether you choose to believe it or not. Cock and cocker have been used for many many years. This postcard is from the mid 1950s.
Cock is regularly used in the North of England in place of words like mate, love, pal, dear, duck, ducky etc. Now mainly heard from the lips of the older generation. My Grandmother regularly called us all cock and it was in no way offensive.
Its very amusing that some people cant open their minds to the fact that some words have very different meanings in different parts of the world. You are hearing only what you want to hear.

"id love a fag cock"

Here's the clip in question, Keith starts at apprx. 28 seconds in.

25x5 on Brian

Doesn't sound derogatory to me in any way, but more in the way you defined it as "mate, love, pal, dear, duck, ducky etc."

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:53

That's easy: private shows for German bankers, Pepsi execs, and Texas billionaires.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: October 1, 2015 03:45

Mel Belli
That's easy: private shows for German bankers, Pepsi execs, and Texas billionaires.

good one

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 1, 2015 03:56

Anything they did in the 80's

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 1, 2015 05:19

Nothing they have ever done artistically has ever shocked me, but some things struck me as very inferior, eg, Ned Kelly, Gregory/Grrr, A Bigger Bang, Keith and Ronnie at Live Aid, Running Out of Luck, some of their stage costumes. I am a diehard Taylorite, with all that implies.

However, as I acquired more and more information, at a certain point I stopped overlooking Brian, Mick and Keith's greed, callousness and exploitation of others, and became permanently disillusioned with them as people.

Specifically,

Cheating Mick Taylor, Ry Cooder and others out of royalty payments and songwriting credit

Mick's refusal to pay the hospital bill after Chrissy Shrimpton was admitted following her suicide attempt

Brian and Anita taunting Linda Lawrence when she went to their flat with Brian's son

Brian's well-known violence toward women, and the fact that no one did anything about it

Mick refusing to pay child support for his daughter Karis until Marsha Hunt took him to court

Keith's bitter tirades against others particularly Mick in Life

Keith's abandoning Spanish Tony with a massive drug habit after 10 years

Keith and Anita being such dismal parents that Keith's mother took Angela away to live

Keith and Ronnie asking Bill German to receive drugs for them in Japan

Mick having his marriage to Jerry declared null to avoid making a big settlement after 20 years and 4 children

L'Wren's suicide and Mick replacing her soon after with a 26 year old dancer

The private concerts for millionaires

The Dutch shell company they use which enables them to pay about 4% tax

Excluding Mick Taylor after the anniversary concerts

The contempt with which they treat their longtime fans, ie, high ticket prices and dull warhorse setlists.

(Also Bill's affair with a 13 year old.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-01 06:55 by Bliss.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 1, 2015 05:33

For me, its just the overall greed of the band since 89. They have always delivered but its just overkill.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 1, 2015 05:35

Hairball
Nothing by the Stones has ever made me ballistic, but embarrassed yes....

I went to live in Guildford, England for 6 months back in 1987 during a College Study Abroad program.
I brought a brand new unopened cassette of Primitive Cool with me.
I played it for the first time for the kind English family I was housed with, and there was immediate laughter and disgust.
The two sons that were my age (early 20's) were into Def Leppard and Iron Maiden, and laughed at how such an 'old fart' could still try to be relevant.
The two parents who grew up listening to Beatles and Stones in the '60's/early '70's just shook their head's with complete disappointment.
Into the 2nd song (Let's Work), it was immediately clear that this new Mick release was an absolute mess, and promised everyone they would never hear it again!

Still laugh about this whenever I'm reminded of it..."Let's Work"!!! >grinning smiley<

You let fans of Def Leppard and Iron Maiden laugh at you? If it was me I would have been the one laughing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2015 06:09

stanlove
Hairball
Nothing by the Stones has ever made me ballistic, but embarrassed yes....

I went to live in Guildford, England for 6 months back in 1987 during a College Study Abroad program.
I brought a brand new unopened cassette of Primitive Cool with me.
I played it for the first time for the kind English family I was housed with, and there was immediate laughter and disgust.
The two sons that were my age (early 20's) were into Def Leppard and Iron Maiden, and laughed at how such an 'old fart' could still try to be relevant.
The two parents who grew up listening to Beatles and Stones in the '60's/early '70's just shook their head's with complete disappointment.
Into the 2nd song (Let's Work), it was immediately clear that this new Mick release was an absolute mess, and promised everyone they would never hear it again!

Still laugh about this whenever I'm reminded of it..."Let's Work"!!! >grinning smiley<

You let fans of Def Leppard and Iron Maiden laugh at you? If it was me I would have been the one laughing.

Ahhh...but I also liked Iron Maiden alot at that age - Run to the Hills and The Trooper are still amazing (my taste in music is very eclectic)!
Also as mentioned, I was new to the household so had to withstand any ridicule while getting acquainted with my English hosts.
The fact is though, they had every reason to laugh. They were literally saying "Who the F*ck is Mick Jagger",
and I had to agree after listening to Primitive Cool. Embarrassing!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 1, 2015 08:53

Well I understand the private shows where somone drops a load of cash to book the stones at their bash and have total control of who attends. However, what does bother me are the surprise club shows, such as the Fonda, where the bulk of the tickets go to the movie/pop stars, models, the elite and those politically connected. Many of the above just attending the show only to be seen - then leaving after the first few songs. This seems a slap in the face to the true fan who is willing to fly half way around the world for such an opportunity. To put it mildly, this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 1, 2015 21:42

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

also i would like to add that Rocking Ronnie has stood the test of time and is the longest tenured in his postion .No easy feat in that world .I of course love his skills on the fretboard of course and think he is perfect for the job .I also agree that if it was someone else game over with the exception of Mick Taylor . Who if he never left well we will never know .What a pleasure it was for the 50 and counting shows that we had both Ronnie and Taylor on stage together if ever so brief .That would be my ultimate to have all three living guitarist in the band for the whole concert and just trade licks and weave their magic together !!!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home