Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Last Rolling Stones Great Classic Record...
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:03

Well seeing the reaction to Keith latest effort,personally l think the bar has being brought down a great deal,but hey different strokes and all of that,anyway, for me the last great record the Stones did was "Some Girls" Tatoo, doesn't count since it is a collection of songs from other sessions....Any takers?

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Last Rolling Stones Great Classic Record...
Date: September 27, 2015 03:09

As much as I try to defend the post-1981 Stones, you're right IMO. When I listen to Steel Wheels, I find myself skipping over the fillers like 'Hold On To Your Hat', 'Hearts For Sale' & 'Break The Spell' (no, 'Terrifying' is not filler...) Some Girls, on the other hand...Great tracks, especially 'Whip'!

Date: September 27, 2015 03:14

Yeah, imo after SG all their records may have 1 or 2 memorable tracks,but thats it, the rest very average,l mean lately l have been listening to Some Girls continuously l can't believe how great it still sounds,can't find a bad song on it...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:23

Exile.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:32

Crosseyed Heart. Seriously.
Before that, Tattoo You.
(Whole album new music category LP's)

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:33

ROPENI
Well seeing the reaction to Keith latest effort,personally l think the bar has being brought down a great deal,but hey different strokes and all of that,anyway, for me the last great record the Stones did was "Some Girls" Tatoo, doesn't count since it is a collection of songs from other sessions....Any takers?
+1

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:43

Interesting topic. Last classic original Stones album - tossup for me between Now, Aftermath and Beggar's. First new Stones band lineup - Exile and most of Sticky. Second new Stones band lineup - a good part of SG, the entire second side of TY. There's parts of the albums since SG and TY I like, but I don't really listen to them as entire albums. I put the songs I like from each on my player and that's it.

Date: September 27, 2015 03:58

The thing is that after the triumvirate BB,LIB,and Exile,they went down, GHS had some good stuff on it,but not even close to the previous three,and then the down spiral continued with iorr,and Black and blue,l thought they are done recording memorable stuff,and the bang "Some Girls"hit,with lots of great stuff on it,but after that,nothing to get excited about,some good songs,but nothing even close to their previous work. jus my two cents worth...winking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:26

Definitely Some Girls. I'm with you on that ROPENI. But I certainly don't think the mid 70's records were that bad by the standards of their post Some Girls work.... and I'm in the group that thinks GHS was right up there with the other Big 4. Never really understood why it gets a bad rap.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 05:47

ROPENI
The thing is that after the triumvirate BB,LIB,and Exile,they went down, GHS had some good stuff on it,but not even close to the previous three,and then the down spiral continued with iorr,and Black and blue,l thought they are done recording memorable stuff,and the bang "Some Girls"hit,with lots of great stuff on it,but after that,nothing to get excited about,some good songs,but nothing even close to their previous work. jus my two cents worth...winking smiley

Agreed.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2015 05:54

THE NEXT ONE .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2015 09:39

Rockman
THE NEXT ONE .........

...without Don Was!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 27, 2015 10:31

Hahaha 1st and the last album they made, all the albums have got good tracks, love voodoo lounge and bigger bang even beatles and led zepplin had duff albums, I still listen to most of the stones albums.
STONES ARE WAY OF LIFE, KEEP ROCKING.

Date: September 27, 2015 10:58

Tattoo You was their last great classic record.

Remember that SF and Exile also have many songs from other sessions, so if TY shouldn't count here, neither should SF.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 27, 2015 11:20

How to define "classic record"?
The last Stones-album I liked start to finish was Dirty Work, the following albums had some good songs but also lots of fillers and lousy crap on it.

"Classic" in the sense of the Stones doing their thing without forced "modern influences" - well that album must be EOMS, I guess.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 27, 2015 11:31

Tattoo You of course!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 27, 2015 11:33

ROPENI

Why do you exclude Sticky Fingers, ROPENI?

Olly.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 27, 2015 12:11

The last studioalbum for Decca...Let it Bleed...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 27, 2015 13:42

dcba
Tattoo You of course!
Yes. TY

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 27, 2015 14:48

Tattoo You is more a compilation than an genuine album after all. Some tracks date back to 1973... no, it is not really a Stones-"album", imo. It is well produced so it "feels" like an album, but isn´t...

Date: September 27, 2015 14:59

Olly
ROPENI

Why do you exclude Sticky Fingers, ROPENI?
My bad,this is what happens when writing and having too many Mojitos,of course SF belongs up there with the other 3...smileys with beer

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 27, 2015 15:24

Hahaha 1st and the last album they made, all the albums have got good tracks, love voodoo lounge and bigger bang even beatles and led zepplin had duff albums, I still listen to most of the stones albums.
STONES ARE WAY OF LIFE, KEEP ROCKING.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 27, 2015 15:48

"Bridges to Babylon" had some stuff that has held up pretty well but overall for a whole album I'd have to go with "Tattoo You". Department of guilty pleasure: "Undercover".smoking smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 27, 2015 15:59

I try not to live in the past.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2015 16:18

HMS
Tattoo You is more a compilation than an genuine album after all. Some tracks date back to 1973... no, it is not really a Stones-"album", imo. It is well produced so it "feels" like an album, but isn´t...

Two tracks date back to 1972. The rest are from 1975, 1977 and 1979.

SF and EOMS had previous sessions tracks on them so, according to what you just described, they are also compilation albums, just not as much like TY.

Then again, the definition of album is a collection usually in book form of literary selections, musical compositions, or pictures. So all albums are compilations.

But I know what you mean. Still, the tracks on TY were technically new so...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2015 16:20

Last great classic Stones record? Sticking to the true sense of the meaning and question?

TATTOO YOU.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 27, 2015 16:42

Tattoo You! A realy great album with even an idea: the rock song on side A and the ballads/slow songs on side B.

I'm hoping this becomes the next boxset with one or two bonus discs with all the great seventies outtakes they didn't use for the other boxsets.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 27, 2015 17:28

I'll be a bit controversial here and go with Voodoo Lounge which has a very unique sound which to my ears perfectly suited The Rolling Stones in the 90s. Some complain that it's too long and maybe there is an argument for that but you won't find me on that side of the fence. There are classic Stones elements all over this one. You Got Me Rocking has become a warhorse and if you remember hearing it the first time or even not hearing it for a long time then it really does have a wonderful groove and when played in the last few years still sounds like the band love playing it. Love Is Strong IS strong as a lead single as they've put out since Start Me Up. In Out Of Tears we have a very atmospheric chillingly good ballad which showed they still knew how to tug on the heart strings while sounding ever so slightly menacing. Moon Is Up was a bit different a bit INXSy but crucially it worked. I've always had a soft spot for Baby Break It Down. Keith's 2 numbers are stone wall classics, The Worst is beautiful and Thru And Thru is a wonderful way to end the record although Mean Disposition is a nice little rocker that would of worked well on Wandering Spirit. i even love the groove of Suck On The Jugular. The only real dud track for me is Sweethearts Together. On top of that this albums singles brought about the best B sides of The Stones career, i don't need to name them, you know them and they're pretty damn wonderful. A great album, tour and era for The Rolling Stones. In my opinion (and i know this won't go down well with most on here} Bill Wyman has not been missed. Just my opinion mind you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-27 17:29 by geordiestone.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 27, 2015 17:55

Yes, Voodoo Lounge is a memorable album, geordiestone, and your stance gives me the opportunity to once again posit the view that 1994 marked the start of the Stones' finest decade of live performance.

Olly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2015 18:09

Undercover

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home