Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Under The Influence Review
Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 19, 2015 21:26

herecomesrichard
I hope you do enjoy it. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind because I had to hunt around for the Apple TV remote and Mrs H wanted me to get finished hogging the TV because she wanted to watch Celebrity Big Brother.

ouch

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 19, 2015 22:14

I confess to having that dopey grin all the way through it, too... And I'm sorry to say that I don't agree either about the missing history. To include that would have just made it run-of-the-mill, whereas what we have instead is a beautiful present-day portrait of the man who is the product of all that history and has it oozing from his pores. Amen to that.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: September 19, 2015 22:29

Beast
I confess to having that dopey grin all the way through it, too... And I'm sorry to say that I don't agree either about the missing history. To include that would have just made it run-of-the-mill, whereas what we have instead is a beautiful present-day portrait of the man who is the product of all that history and has it oozing from his pores. Amen to that.

Amen to that!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2015 01:05

It was easy-breezy, and revealing. It sounds like Keith used the Stones tours to knock off the deep rust he had after the long layoff, just in time to contribute to his own album. But the music sounds good and this might be a better album than the two previous Winos' output.

A couple things stuck, like Keith saying him and Mick meeting was the formation of the Stones, when at best it is only one element. Steve Jordan kissed Keith's ass about his bass playing. That's okay, but is it too much for Keith to say that MAYBE he might have learned a LITTLE bit about out how to play bass from the absolute MASTER, Bill Wyman, playing just a few feet away from him?

Yes, it is a promo tool for Crosseyed Heart, and I enjoyed it but don't see a reason to watch it again. Long live Keith.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 20, 2015 01:09

Beast

what you said!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 20, 2015 04:05

Another big dopey grin (seriously, and how funny)

Did anyone notice the part towards the end Keith is sitting on his couch at home, Patti comes into the room, gives him a quick peck/ hug, then the camera lingers right on her backside as she saunters back out?
Lyrics from Heartstopper song:
'When we're walking down the street, oh it blows their minds
Everyone wants a piece, a piece of mine'

Gold Rings on ya Keith man Patti is unbelievably beautiful and yes, wonderful to see that marriage/ family kept him grounded/ base.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2015 07:50

Glad ya caught it Rockeeeeeee!

Yeah me too Annie ... Quite a day ... we were all ascreamin' and
arollin' on the couches.... Stunning stuff for a kid like me ... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: September 20, 2015 11:54

Ok, I accept that it's promotion for Crosseyed Heart, and as such it's not a naked eyed documentary but Keith's thing, his forum to say whatever he wants.
But while it's probably best he doesn't mention Brian at all, I'd have appreciated he didn't give Ian the credit of starting the Stones either.
F**ing disgrace Brian's been written out of history. One thing he did right, a thing why we're all here, and it's like it never happened.
At least he got to introduce Howlin' Wolf, despite Jagger trying to butt in.
And maybe, just maybe, some kid out there will see how it's Brian who owns the stage for that I Just want To Make Love To You-clip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 11:55 by Child Of Clay.

Date: September 20, 2015 11:58

It's in the eye of the beholder. I see Mick owning the stage, although Brian plays a mean harp and doing funny grimaces.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: September 20, 2015 14:20

I liked the bit where he talks about some rock music sounding like a marching tune, saying it's no good without the roll man. He gives a brief demonstration of such a song, sounded vaguely like we will rock you

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 20, 2015 15:52

If I heard correctly Keith says "Ian Stewart started the Stones" in this documentary.
My understanding is that Brian advertised and Ian was the first to answer.
But Brian started the Stones, everyone else joined Brian's band.
Is Keith's comment deliberate, or unthinking, or is his memory going? or am I wrong ?

Posted by: haimbarr ()
Date: September 20, 2015 15:58

Maybe I'm wrong here.... but I thought the camera lingered alot on Keith's arthritic fingers. Sort of saying that even physical adversity does not stop the music. I had the feeling that recently they had limited the exposure of Keith's fingers for fear that it might affect ticket sales (?), but maybe since there is clearly an ability to play as demonstrated with the album - they were not so concnered about hiding his gnarly hands...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 20, 2015 16:18

Keith's gnarly hands...well, he is very expressive with them, isn't he? I think that's why the camera catches them so often. Perhaps he was a bit self-conscious of them when he wasn't playing much, but I'm sure he's proud of what those beat up, arthritic hands have accomplished.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 20, 2015 17:44

This documentary is excellent.

Date: September 20, 2015 17:44

Kingbeebuzz
If I heard correctly Keith says "Ian Stewart started the Stones" in this documentary.
My understanding is that Brian advertised and Ian was the first to answer.
But Brian started the Stones, everyone else joined Brian's band.
Is Keith's comment deliberate, or unthinking, or is his memory going? or am I wrong ?

He means musically, as Stu was the accomplished one they all followed, Brian included. It's a lot about it in Life as well.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2015 18:27

Child Of Clay
And maybe, just maybe, some kid out there will see how it's Brian who owns the stage for that I Just want To Make Love To You-clip.

DandelionPowderman
It's in the eye of the beholder. I see Mick owning the stage

But it was Brian who boinked Dean Martin's daughter after the show

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 18:29

fantastic

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 20, 2015 19:12

I loved it. Great film and as a long time die-hard fan of Keith it was awesome to get such an intimate and honest picture of the man. I love him even more now!! And I must say I have so much respect and admiration for his guitar playing.....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2015 22:03

Child Of Clay
Ok, I accept that it's promotion for Crosseyed Heart, and as such it's not a naked eyed documentary but Keith's thing, his forum to say whatever he wants.
But while it's probably best he doesn't mention Brian at all, I'd have appreciated he didn't give Ian the credit of starting the Stones either.
F**ing disgrace Brian's been written out of history. One thing he did right, a thing why we're all here, and it's like it never happened.
At least he got to introduce Howlin' Wolf, despite Jagger trying to butt in.

The names Brian, Bill, and Mick Taylor, if I remember correctly, are never brought up. And when they're discussing Howlin' Wolf on Shindig, Brian isn't mentioned and he's the one they're referring, who tells the announcer to shut up.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:18

Just watched today,l enjoyed very much a loving look at Keith,the man deserves it....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: September 21, 2015 01:18

Tom Waits was great. Liked the bit about him feeling intimidated when Keith turned up with a truck full of guitars and a "guitar valet"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:29

Mel Belli
keithglimmer
I noticed that he repeats the Muddy Waters painting the ceiling in 1964 story. I've always found that a little hard to believe but apparently Keith insists it happened. Oh, well...I remember all kinds of stuff that never actually happened too.

But he has revised a key part of the story: Muddy wasn't painting because of some kind of debt to Chess or the vagaries of the record business. He was just being an industrious gentleman.

Ha I noticed that too. Of course it doesn't really change the story, just what Keith thought the motives might have been. I think Keith probably just saw a black man painting the ceiling and mistook him for Muddy, recently changed the motive out of respect for Muddy. And of course Marshall Chess emphatically denies it ever happened. Here is his answer to the question in an interview with Sabotage Times: [www.iorr.org]

JW: One of the most famous stories told about Chess is Keith Richards’ tale about turning up at the studio in 1964 to record The Rolling Stones’ second album only to find Muddy Waters painting the ceiling. It’s not true, is it?

MC: No truth in it at all. But Keith maintains to this day that it actually happened. I’ve laughed in his face many times as he’s insisted he saw Muddy up a ladder with a paint brush in hand. I guess people want to believe that it’s true. It says something about how unfashionable the blues had become at that time....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:36

Wonder what brand of paint Muddy was usin' ??? and it woulda been pre acrylic days......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:51

Rockman
Wonder what brand of paint Muddy was usin' ??? and it woulda been pre acrylic days......

Nope, it was lead based and Keef was snortin' it...heard tell.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 04:03

I just finished the documentary and loved it. It is by no means comprehensive,
More like a series of
Wonderful postcards from the fondest corners of Keith's musical memories.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 05:34

Naturalust
Mel Belli
keithglimmer
I noticed that he repeats the Muddy Waters painting the ceiling in 1964 story. I've always found that a little hard to believe but apparently Keith insists it happened. Oh, well...I remember all kinds of stuff that never actually happened too.

But he has revised a key part of the story: Muddy wasn't painting because of some kind of debt to Chess or the vagaries of the record business. He was just being an industrious gentleman.

Ha I noticed that too. Of course it doesn't really change the story, just what Keith thought the motives might have been. I think Keith probably just saw a black man painting the ceiling and mistook him for Muddy, recently changed the motive out of respect for Muddy. And of course Marshall Chess emphatically denies it ever happened. Here is his answer to the question in an interview with Sabotage Times: [www.iorr.org]

JW: One of the most famous stories told about Chess is Keith Richards’ tale about turning up at the studio in 1964 to record The Rolling Stones’ second album only to find Muddy Waters painting the ceiling. It’s not true, is it?

MC: No truth in it at all. But Keith maintains to this day that it actually happened. I’ve laughed in his face many times as he’s insisted he saw Muddy up a ladder with a paint brush in hand. I guess people want to believe that it’s true. It says something about how unfashionable the blues had become at that time....

having listened to this version's of Keith's story I'm inclined to think that perhaps someone at Chess did tell Keith "that's muddy waters up there" to pull his leg, and Keith never realized they were having fun with him. seems like that's the best explanation for the whole thing. keith makes it clear that he'd never met muddy before and didn't recognize him, but rather someone told him who "muddy" was.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 21, 2015 09:19

I really enjoyed the gypsy jazz song performed in the documentary and was saddened to learn that it wasn't on the new album. Bummer.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 21, 2015 09:20

Any news on a DVD of this?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 21, 2015 12:44

Turner68
having listened to this version's of Keith's story I'm inclined to think that perhaps someone at Chess
did tell Keith "that's muddy waters up there" to pull his leg, and Keith never realized they were having fun with him.

I've always reckoned there was someone painting the ceiling, and someone said "cor blimey look it's Muddy Waters"
and Keith was simply looking the wrong direction and came to the conclusions we know he came to.
It's so easy to imagine - the young Stones must have been all bedazzled to be at Chess Studios,
and Muddy Waters was around at the time, being a friendly and helpful gentleman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 21, 2015 14:09

hm ... possibly this whole scene was left in to prove a point. Keith has told this story and he's sticking with it.

adds to the endearing nature of the man. Interesting that none of the other Stones have commented on this incident..?

In any case, re-telling this story doesn't diminish the doc, it's good.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1147
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home