Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2016 13:56

HMS
Album was shit

No. It is too long. Cut it down to 10-12 songs and you have a great rocking, rough-sounding very solid album, their best since DW. No shit at all, way better than B2B and VL.

I agree - love A Bigger Bang but it could be trimmed down.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 25, 2016 14:55

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
Album was shit

No. It is too long. Cut it down to 10-12 songs and you have a great rocking, rough-sounding very solid album, their best since DW. No shit at all, way better than B2B and VL.

I disagree about cutting down the number of songs. An additional motivation for not wanting to do so, is why there is no agreement as to which songs.

For once I shall be constructive towards this issue, though, and enter such a solution, but only provided that I will be the one to decide which songs are to be cut away. It is only fair that one who are against this alleged remedy, reluctantly will do the negative job . The songs that should not have been included, would then be "It Won't Take Long", "She Saw Me Coming" and "Driving Too Fast".

Now be pleased with my decision. You certainly cannot be against the choices made by one, who really are against such a solution, to do the cutting away of songs. Admire the end product, according to the wish of so many posters!

Date: May 25, 2016 15:13

Witness
HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
Album was shit

I disagree about cutting down the number of songs. An additional motivation for not wanting to do so, is why there is no agreement as to which songs.

For once I shall be constructive towards this issue, though, and enter such a solution, but only provided that I will be the one to decide which songs are to be cut away. It is only fair that one who are against this alleged remedy, reluctantly will do the negative job . The songs that should not have been included, would then be "It Won't Take Long", "She Saw Me Coming" and "Driving Too Fast".

Now be pleased with my decision. You certainly cannot be against the choices made by one, who really are against such a solution, to do the cutting away of songs. Admire the end product, according to the wish of so many posters!

My choices for elimination would be Sweet Neocon and Streets of Love. I like the rest...Please be pleased with my decision! grinning smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 25, 2016 15:27

HonkeyTonkFlash
My choices for elimination would be Sweet Neocon and Streets of Love. I like the rest...Please be pleased with my decision! grinning smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

However, you may have noticed that I did not enter my post most of all to show which three songs I would have taken away, if I had been given that function. It must be obvious that I wanted to say something else.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 25, 2016 15:44

HMS
Album was shit

No. It is too long. Cut it down to 10-12 songs and you have a great rocking, rough-sounding very solid album, their best since DW. No shit at all, way better than B2B and VL.[/quote

Probably you're right. I also a big fan of Dirty Work. I could live without SOL, BM, DB & the X-pensive Winos-like rehearsal She Saw Me Coming. But I think Sweet Neo-Con and It Won't Take Long are great. Like Winning Ugly is great for me.

Date: May 25, 2016 15:50

Witness
HonkeyTonkFlash

However, you may have noticed that I did not enter my post most of all to show which three songs I would have taken away, if I had been given that function. It must be obvious that I wanted to say something else.

Gotcha...didn't read your post carefully enough the first time.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 06:12

GasLightStreet
tumbled
nothing new here:

In an interview with the Associated Press, Ronnie Wood has revealed that the band has already recorded some new material and some blues covers

"We went in to cut some new songs, which we did," Wood said, according to NME. He added, "But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days. They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. But they really sound authentic... When we heard them back after not hearing them for a couple of months, we were, 'Who's that? It's you.' It sounded so authentic."

In the same interview, Richards confirmed that "there's one [album] coming," but refused to offer any other details saying that his "lips are sealed." The Rolling Stones last studio album was "A Bigger Bang" which was released way back in 2005.

While Wood did not reveal anything about the release date of new Rolling Stones album, he did assure that the album is coming this year. In another interview with The Sun, Keith Richards said that the new album might come as a surprise to Rolling Stone fans.

"Yeah, that's in the can, although it might be a surprise to people and I can't say any more than that right now," Richards said. "We did sessions in London in December which suddenly gave us a whole load of stuff. In fact, the Stones have never cut so many tracks in such a short time. Now that's not necessarily a guarantee of a good record but there is something in the works and I'd just like to leave it up there in mystery land."

Are you excited about the Rolling Stones new album? Let us know in comments below.

This bit Ronnie said, "We went in to cut some new songs, which we did," Wood said, according to NME. He added, "But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days. They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. But they really sound authentic... When we heard them back after not hearing them for a couple of months, we were, 'Who's that? It's you.' It sounded so authentic."

So... they sound authentic. WTF? So they're not authentic. I can not recall any Rolling Stone saying that ever. There's usually some kind of nod to someone, Muddy Waters or whatever, like Mick and Keith talked about with Back Of My Hand:

I sleep downstairs and the studio is upstairs. One night, I thought I was hearing this old Muddy Waters track I didn't know, but it turned out to be Mick working on a slide part for Back of My Hand. He's always been a good, smooth acoustic player, but the electric seemed like an untamed beast for him until this year. I thought: My God! The boy's finally got it.
- Keith Richards, August 2005

Mick came up with that. He started to play it one day on acoustic guitar and I started thinking, prison songs... We were just casting ideas about. To me, it's a classic sort of Muddy Waters thing, or even earlier. And as we were getting it going, I went, Jesus Christ, we could have cut this at Chess, baby. You are what you listen to, in a way, and I never stopped listening to the blues. Even if I go off on other tangents, there's always that basic diet, thank God.
- Keith Richards, July 2005

So there's no jumping about saying "WE'RE AUTHENTIC" etc but Ronnie, he just can't say "We cut some blues and they're great!", no, he has to use desperation language.

Of course, Mick has said stupid shit, like this from 2005 about A BIGGER BANG, which obviously he forgot about from, oh, what, pretty much on that tour and the tours of 2012-2015:

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Desperation? Seriously? When's the last time the band cut a record of all blues covers?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 26, 2016 09:30

mpj200

Desperation? Seriously? When's the last time the band cut a record of all blues covers?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Eric Clapton do something like that a bunch of years ago? Not that I would ever listen to it because what would be the point, but I seem to remember he did. And that Irish guy who used to be in Thin Lizzy did something like that in the 90's, didn't he?
And of course the Stones did in the 60's but even then they were wise enough to include a few Nanker Phelge jams and some soul.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 26, 2016 10:56

I honestly don't see the hang up over doing an album of covers, blues or otherwise. Some of my favourites in the Stones cv are the single "Little Red Rooster" and the DVD of the Muddy Waters (and friends) club gig in the early 80s.

Most of their contempries have done cover albums:
-Macca, Dylan, Lennon, Stewart.

Eric Clapton is first and foremost a musician, as a composer it is secondary. His albums have usually been a mix of originals and non originals.
His Robert Johnson album won Grammys and I'm sure his fans had no problem with others like "From the Cradle". EC celebrates his influences, does not deny them.

The quality of Mick and Keith's songwriting has wavered since their peak in the mid 60s to 1972 period.
In my opinion a bigger mix of covers and good (not just adequate) originals would have raised the bar on their subsequent releases.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 26, 2016 12:12

jlowe
...In my opinion a bigger mix of covers and good (not just adequate) originals would have raised the bar on their subsequent releases.

That's quite an interesting thought.

Date: May 26, 2016 12:16

Spud
jlowe
...In my opinion a bigger mix of covers and good (not just adequate) originals would have raised the bar on their subsequent releases.

It worked nicely on their first albums – full circle winking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 26, 2016 13:37

.....you got that right!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 26, 2016 14:01

Spud
jlowe

thumbs up for a mix of covers and originals.
thumbs down for originals like Sweet Neo Con or Doom and Gloom.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 15:34

I want a double CD "Past & Present" one of originals and one of Blues cover

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 26, 2016 15:47

As long as their songwriting skills are good enough to produce marvelous tunes like Doom And Gloom & One More Shot there is no need to cover other artists.

In fact I want an album of originals, they can play Blues covers for their own enjoyment as much as they want, but in their living-room. Keep your blues and give us originals!

Once I listened to their Blues-B-sides of the last 27 years in a row and it was a BORE.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 26, 2016 16:59

Thats what I always said: "Modern" Stones Blues is mostly a Big Bore.
And who needs another Blues album by older artists anyhow

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:15

HMS
As long as their songwriting skills are good enough to produce marvelous tunes like Doom And Gloom & One More Shot there is no need to cover other artists.

In fact I want an album of originals, they can play Blues covers for their own enjoyment as much as they want, but in their living-room. Keep your blues and give us originals!

Once I listened to their Blues-B-sides of the last 27 years in a row and it was a BORE.

marvelous tunes like Doom and OMS ?? hahahahaha
Actually i really liked the bside blues bits. Hope they will do more of tehm. Great stuff.

No more crap like Doom and OMS PLEASE !!
Jeroen

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:36

It helps to have some age on you if you play blues.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:39

Some of their B-side-Blues-tunes are great indeed. But listening to them in a row gets boring soon, it´s always the same. Fancy Man Blues is marvelous but 12 songs like that would be a bore.

Doom And Gloom is their most exciting song since Highwire, I was thrilled and still I am.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:43

They'll come back in the studio next week?!June is coming!!winking smileythumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:46

One More Shot is okey. Generic Rolling Stones. I can't really ask for more than that. I guess they can't reinvent themselves. That would be to much to ask for. D&G is not a favorite though.

Date: May 26, 2016 20:01

HMS
Some of their B-side-Blues-tunes are great indeed. But listening to them in a row gets boring soon, it´s always the same. Fancy Man Blues is marvelous but 12 songs like that would be a bore.

Doom And Gloom is their most exciting song since Highwire, I was thrilled and still I am.

Making love to 12 beautiful women in a row gets boring too. But listening to 12 blues songs in a row, with a bottle of wine or beer, beautiful weather and good company wont get me bored soon.

jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-26 20:01 by corriecas.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 26, 2016 20:07

bigger bang should have been cut down to 10 songs because the songwriting just wasn't that good,it didn't matter which ones got cut. if you're gonna have mediocrity at least have less of it.
when you start writing stuff that is so cliche' that it shares a title with a song by the 80's hair metal band "poison" you're just not trying hard enough.

same with voodoo lounge,it just goes on and on,you have to listen to suck on the jugular or some shit.at least get it over quickly so we have less c grade material out there.

everyone gets excited "the stones are making an album !!!" because they made so many great records but the truth is they haven't made a great one in 35 years.it's unlikely they have more than 4 or 5 songs worthy of being called a rolling stones song, if that.

it hurts to say it but they lost their songwriting mojo a looong time ago.i still stick with the 10 songs thing,and 4 or 5 of them should be covers.

Date: May 26, 2016 20:24

I wouldn't trust the Stones singing the blues anymore. A bunch of spoilt multimillionaires singing the blues. Give me a break...

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 26, 2016 21:17

Did Crosseyed Heart sound like a spoilt millionaire to you Stoneage?

Date: May 26, 2016 21:22

Stoneage
I wouldn't trust the Stones singing the blues anymore. A bunch of spoilt multimillionaires singing the blues. Give me a break...

then get off this site.
Jeroen

Date: May 26, 2016 21:28

The Worst.
Did Crosseyed Heart sound like a spoilt millionaire to you Stoneage?

Well, I was never a fan of Keith ballads to begin with.

Date: May 26, 2016 21:30

corriecas
Stoneage

then get off this site.
Jeroen

Now then, take it easy Corriecas. Just an opinion.

Date: May 26, 2016 21:47

Stoneage
corriecas
Stoneage

then get off this site.
Jeroen

Now then, take it easy Corriecas. Just an opinion.

Yeah, but if you dont like this, you dont like that.. what you are doing at the Stones site. Give the band a break. and you are right, i should not have been THAT agressive. sorry.
Jeroen

Date: May 26, 2016 21:50

Apology accepted, Corriecas! No worries...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home