Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:00

HMS
buenosairesstones
The 32 year old has echoed Mick's opinion that it is a "different" type of LP to the 'Start Me Up' hitmakers' usual sound.

Speaking to BANG Showbiz, Tyrone said: "I've heard snippets of the album, yes, it's amazing. It's different - I can't say different how, cause I wouldn't want to ruin it - but it's good."

will have an electronic soundconfused smiley

Maybe that´s the prize Keith had to pay to get Mick into a recording studio at all.

Oh my goodness dont let it end this way... I dont want a Taylor-Swift-like album with Mick´s voice instead of Taylor´s and occasinally riffing by Keith... Their fan-base will start a riot.

There´s only one solution: Embargo.

A nightmare

Date: April 20, 2016 19:45

maybe surprise us with a new soundeye rolling smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:51

Not sure why people want an album of blues covers. That would be boring, imo. And it's not like this is a band with players who have great blues chops ... which actually I would find boring, too. If I want to hear blues with a Clapton solo, I'd listen to Clapton.
Now I could see them recording a mess of blues and then just giving it away to diehards, maybe.
They have a better history of recording Motown or soul covers.
The more I think about this the less optimistic I am about Jagger/Richards writing and working together. For some reason Jagger just doesn't trust that process anymore. I think they'll lay down some basic tracks and Jagger and the producer will turn them into something different ... and Keith will just shrug and go along. I think he's given up the fight on that score. Happy to be here, and all.

Date: April 20, 2016 20:14

wonderboy
Not sure why people want an album of blues covers. That would be boring, imo. And it's not like this is a band with players who have great blues chops ... which actually I would find boring, too. If I want to hear blues with a Clapton solo, I'd listen to Clapton.
Now I could see them recording a mess of blues and then just giving it away to diehards, maybe.
The more I think about this the less optimistic I am about Jagger/Richards writing and working together. For some reason Jagger just doesn't trust that process anymore. I think they'll lay down some basic tracks and Jagger and the producer will turn them into something different ... and Keith will just shrug and go along. I think he's given up the fight on that score. Happy to be here, and all.

thumbs up Agree. Only blues is really boring.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: April 20, 2016 20:39

KRiffhard
wonderboy

I agreee that I would dislike only blues songs, I mean i like it, but I expect a more diversified album. Hard Rock, country, maybe a little bit of current trends.

My dream album would be a little bit of blues, hard rock, country, rock and roll,dance,electronic.

It would be awesome to see a band that assimilates popular sound for 55 years.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:28

Do they have made the album in only two weeks last December in London?!?Like the ol'times in the mid sixties...Really really special!!eye rolling smileyconfused smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 21, 2016 01:23

I don't think it will be different but I'm pretty sure it will be pretty good. I love crosseyed heart and don't think they'll match it but maybe close. I'm sure the stones realize they can't put out a clunker after 11 years. If they do put out a clunker it will just prove they no longer care

Date: April 21, 2016 02:53

Stones are a great Blues band. If I am going to listen to Blues I would want it to be Stones. When they keep them minimal I think they are phenomenal. And I much prefer stripped down Blues over Clapton's solos. (And I think Clapton is very good)

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 21, 2016 07:02

Maybe they could glean something from both Dylan and Peter Wolf. Each has made a latter day trilogy of mature yet splendid albums that don't attempt to recapture some earlier magic but show songwriting and musicianship that reflect their age.

For Dylan, Time Out of Mind, "Love and Theft" and Modern Times are tremendous artistic achievements. I would put Love and Theft as one of the best albums of the 21st century.

For Peter Wolf, his trilogy of Sleepless, Midnight Souvenirs, and A Cure for Loneliness are still distinctively Peter Wolf records which he mine the country and blues forms in a mature way without losing his sense of play.

I don't need another take on "Oh No, Not You Again" or "Sparks Will Fly."

T@3

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 21, 2016 10:32

KRiffhard
wonderboy
Not sure why people want an album of blues covers. That would be boring, imo. And it's not like this is a band with players who have great blues chops ... which actually I would find boring, too. If I want to hear blues with a Clapton solo, I'd listen to Clapton

I think not. But it would not be from today, it would be traditional.

There is where the idea of a bonus album of blues covers comes in. And a regular album of new Stones music. The latter as a different Stones album will be very fine with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 10:34 by Witness.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 21, 2016 10:53

If we're talking about the various genres they've majored & dabbled in...

...I'd love a country album from them >grinning smiley<

Date: April 21, 2016 11:21

TeaAtThree
Maybe they could glean something from both Dylan and Peter Wolf. Each has made a latter day trilogy of mature yet splendid albums that don't attempt to recapture some earlier magic but show songwriting and musicianship that reflect their age.

For Dylan, Time Out of Mind, "Love and Theft" and Modern Times are tremendous artistic achievements. I would put Love and Theft as one of the best albums of the 21st century.

For Peter Wolf, his trilogy of Sleepless, Midnight Souvenirs, and A Cure for Loneliness are still distinctively Peter Wolf records which he mine the country and blues forms in a mature way without losing his sense of play.

I don't need another take on "Oh No, Not You Again" or "Sparks Will Fly."

T@3

Don't forget the soul! thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 21, 2016 12:50

Bashlets
I don't think it will be different but I'm pretty sure it will be pretty good. I love crosseyed heart and don't think they'll match it but maybe close. I'm sure the stones realize they can't put out a clunker after 11 years. If they do put out a clunker it will just prove they no longer care

Totally agree this is a legacy release. But everything points to it being really special. drinking smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 21, 2016 13:06

alexisjagger
KRiffhard
wonderboy

I agreee that I would dislike only blues songs, I mean i like it, but I expect a more diversified album. Hard Rock, country, maybe a little bit of current trends.

My dream album would be a little bit of blues, hard rock, country, rock and roll,dance,electronic.

It would be awesome to see a band that assimilates popular sound for 55 years.

yeah i agree except for the dance and electronic bit. Not interested in hearing dance or electronic music from anyone, let alone my favourite band.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 21, 2016 13:46

KRiffhard
teleblaster
KRiffhard
'Surprise'...'Different'...what kind of album is it?! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It's going to be consistently excellent from beginning to end, no filler and everyone on this board - and the music press - will recognise it as being more than a match for the classic sides from the 60s and 70s. It'll go straight to number 1 around the world, as will the numerous singles it spawns, which will in turn replace many of the warhorses in the recent (i.e., last 40 years) live setlists.

Hi teleblaster...you're optimistic!
We all hope that is a good/great album.

Tongue firmly in cheek for that one, but let's hope that it does materialise and ticks some of these boxes. Would love for them to do another really great album, but I don't think they've got the lifestyle to do this any more.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 21, 2016 13:53

Palace Revolution 2000
Stones are a great Blues band. If I am going to listen to Blues I would want it to be Stones. When they keep them minimal I think they are phenomenal. And I much prefer stripped down Blues over Clapton's solos. (And I think Clapton is very good)

Most of what I listen to and play is blues and I don't think The Stones are a great blues band live. They're formulaic and play it safe in front of large audiences. It's OK and I do like to hear Jagger blow a bit of harp. In the studio? Well, maybe, if they don't get too overblown and write / cover some decent material instead of derivative 12 bars. They've covered Muddy enough in their long career. I would prefer a mixture of decent rock, blues, ballads, country, etc (no dance / electronic please) sounding like themselves and doing what they do well.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 21, 2016 14:33

I want good lyrics that are mature. The stones always were mature until the last 36 years. Songs like rough justice, and OH NO, Not you again are great for 20 year old musicians. Sorry, but its a turn off. Dont want to hear men in their seventies singing about cocks, tits." sharks will cry"... Lyrically, it started to become more juvenile in 1980 with songs like SUMMER ROMANCE. There was not much real juvenile before that.
Does Mick still want the SHOCK FACTOR? Everyones heard it. Half the rap shit my kids unfortunately like makes @#$%& seem like nursery rhymes anyway. Again, the Stones can really make a great album if the motivation is still there. Im optimistic.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 05:45

wonderboy
If I want to hear blues with a Clapton solo, I'd listen to Clapton.

Why not both?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2016 08:29

teleblaster
Palace Revolution 2000

Most of what I listen to and play is blues and I don't think The Stones are a great blues band live. They're formulaic and play it safe in front of large audiences. It's OK and I do like to hear Jagger blow a bit of harp. In the studio? Well, maybe, if they don't get too overblown and write / cover some decent material instead of derivative 12 bars. They've covered Muddy enough in their long career. I would prefer a mixture of decent rock, blues, ballads, country, etc (no dance / electronic please) sounding like themselves and doing what they do well.

I think most here would agree with that last point, and I can't help but think of Keith's Crosseyed Heart which was indeed a fine mixture of 'decent rock, blues, ballads, country, etc.' (and dance/eclectronic was nowehere to be seen). Hopefully some of that vibe will reappear on the next Stones album, but with Mick having his large batch of recorded demos brought to the sessions, I have my doubts.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 22, 2016 09:55

Hairball
teleblaster
Palace Revolution 2000

I think most here would agree with that last point, and I can't help but think of Keith's Crosseyed Heart which was indeed a fine mixture of 'decent rock, blues, ballads, country, etc.' (and dance/eclectronic was nowehere to be seen). Hopefully some of that vibe will reappear on the next Stones album, but with Mick having his large batch of recorded demos brought to the sessions, I have my doubts.

thumbs upjeroen

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 10:34

I hope the sessions remain shrouded in mystery on the off chance that they’re reworking snippets of 40 y/o discards a la Plundered My Soul. If they hadn’t told us PMS was half zombie we would’ve hailed it as the long awaited return of the greatest rock ‘n roll band in the world. This time scour the vaults for any groovable leftovers, polish them up whilst not degrading them too much and pass them off as 2016 originals. LIE TO US! I DON’T WANT THE TRUTH! I don’t want a bigger bang...

Date: April 22, 2016 12:00

Swayed1967
I hope the sessions remain shrouded in mystery on the off chance that they’re reworking snippets of 40 y/o discards a la Plundered My Soul. If they hadn’t told us PMS was half zombie we would’ve hailed it as the long awaited return of the greatest rock ‘n roll band in the world. This time scour the vaults for any groovable leftovers, polish them up whilst not degrading them too much and pass them off as 2016 originals. LIE TO US! I DON’T WANT THE TRUTH! I don’t want a bigger bang...

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 22, 2016 14:53

I am still very excited about this new release, but hope it wont be like ABB. And even not productionwise.
jeroen

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:20

Having just pondered some posts in the Sticky Fingers Live thread, yeah - if the Stones can still summon that kind of power onstage, they may well be able to amaze us in the studio!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:20

corriecas
I am still very excited about this new release, but hope it wont be like ABB. And even not productionwise.
jeroen

Me too. In fact from this point of view I think that the producer has got a big role. I hope the Stones worked together during the last months, also because the main problem is the quality of the tracks. About a blues album: I do not think that the presence of Eric Clapton in a track is enough to justify the output. Maybe a bonus cd with some blues duets (with Clapton, Bonnie Raitt and other stars that they invited during the 50 tour) would be great.

BUT i'd like to listen to a new variegated album, necessary for a new tour and for keeping the band alive.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 18:58

I hope for a few Blues songs on the album, as well as Rock, Country and Reggae songs. Their best albums had Blues covers on them. Just think of Love In Vain, You Gotta Move and Stop Breaking Down. I consider the Stones the more authentic Blues musicians than Clapton.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:06

Man, this thread ... When there's no actual news.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:17

MonkeyMan2000
I hope for a few Blues songs on the album, as well as Rock, Country and Reggae songs. Their best albums had Blues covers on them. Just think of Love In Vain, You Gotta Move and Stop Breaking Down. I consider the Stones the more authentic Blues musicians than Clapton.

Agree with most all of that, but somewhat disagree with your last sentence.
Yes the Stones are good enough at Blues once in awhile, but wouldn't consider them more authentic.

Perhaps you might want to revisit the Yardbirds with Sonny Boy Williamson from 1963. And if memory serves, the reason Clapton left the Yardbirds was because they were going too much in a pop direction - he wanted to remain closer to the blues. Then you could revisit the Bluesbreakers album w/Clapton from 1966 - blues at it's best from white English musicians . And then the smattering of blues covers from Cream - Spoonful, etc. And then there's Derek and the Domino's - Bell Bottom Blues, Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out, Key to the Highway, and Have You Ever Loved a Woman. Throw in several more from throughout his solo career, including From the Cradle (an entire album of blues covers), Riding with the King (an entire album recorded with BB King), and Me and Mr. Johnson (an entire album of Robert Johnson covers).

I suppose 'authenticity' could be a matter of opinion, but for my money Clapton is a thousand times more authentic at it.

Date: April 22, 2016 19:24

This was posted on Keith's FB page. It says it is from Havana. So I guess Bernard's photo wasn't taken in the Studio.

Date: April 22, 2016 19:31

Well I really like early Clapton and I love his playing. But I think he somehow lost his "authenticity". When I listen to the Stones playing Blues, I get the same feeling like when I listen to Muddy Waters or Jimmy Reed. I don't really know what it is but somehow.... Well, I don't know. It probably is a matter of opinion.smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home