Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 147
Re: Keith Richards: New Rolling Stones Record Coming Next Year
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2015 18:07

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
HMS
If Mick Jagger´s singing is whiny and thin like on Alfie & Superheavy or the Exile-bonus-CD (horrible singing) they maybe should not record an album at all.

There are a couple of tracks on Alfie that are good.

EXILE extras Pass The Wine, Plundered and Signifying don't have a "whiny and thin" vocal. The rest of them don't either.

If you want to be taken seriously you'll need to drop the DIRTY WORK obsession. Talk about "winy and thin"...

Whiny, thin, nasal and too forced vocal...like on Don Henley's 'Bramble Rose'. Irritating voice.

Yes irritating. The harmonica was nice though....perhaps that's a solution - shove a harmonica in his mouth while he records the vocals.

In all seriousness, looking forward to any new Stones as usual! Without any thoughts of chart positions, sales, etc. they may come up with a winner!
Focusing on how to record the vocals to be more subtle and less 'obnoxious' (for lack of a better term) would be a great place for them to start imo.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 11, 2015 18:45

GasLightStreet
proudmary
latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary
I for one love Mick Jagger' singing. Mick's voice with all his idiosyncrasies, his phrasing, his tone, that Jagger attitude with all the sarcastic put downs and occasional bursts of vulnerability - all this is one of the main reasons why I am a fan of this band.
Sure his voice changed with age, he is 72 not 25 or 33 anymore - I understand that. I hear that too. And at the same time: someone may think that Alfie is terrible, but for me Old Habits Die Hard is a great song, I can't get enough of it.
You say Exile bonus disk is horrible - I think Plundered My Soul is one of their best songs of all time, easily in my top five (or ten, it does not matter)
I listen constantly to Some Girls bonus disc, it's my favorite album of the last few years.
I like the sound of Mick voice on Doom and Gloom
I was trilled when I heard his performance of Moonlight Mile this year.
So, yes, I miss that voice, Mick Jagger voice which is still able to touch me, to go under my skin. I want to hear the new material, something that I have not heard yet, something unknown. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new Stones album.

I do not think I'm in the minority among Stones fans.But on this forum as it now - definitely.

I totally agree with your statement: with one exception: I don´t think we are in the minority here:))))

No, you are not....very well said, PM, and I also very much enjoy Old Habits and think Mick's singing there is heartfelt and lovely.

It's cool, bloomer and ws, but - if we are the majority - how come that a group of four to five people with their deranged anti-Jagger agenda was able to hijack this board totally? They post every day multiple times in different threads on the same old topic - how horrible everything Jagger is( of course they are precisely those who ejaculate constantly on the new KR album). One starts, then the rest of them are catching up, they encourage each other, give thumbs,dropping the foam from the mouth
No one is arguing with them, not saying to shut the f*** up. Their verbal diarrhea is f***ing tiring and annoying. That's so f***ing boring! Enough!!!
Is it surprising that so many people stopped to post here? As for me - I try and avoid this place. As Lem said nothing really change here. what the @#$%& I need to read for the thousandth time KRiffhard'/HMS'/ Turner' lunacy about anything regarding Mick. And sure DandelionPowderman or GasLightStreet are right there in the middle of action to provoke them further without actually saying the most odious things themselves.
I think Doxa said exactly that the other day when he was attacked by all
  I really do not understand how bv tolerates this situation - after all he argues that he is against campaigns

ProudMary, I had to look up odious. I would tend to agree with that, although it might be a tad bit heavy. It seems you've missed the times I've praised-heralded-defended-whatever Mick etc, and for shit's sake, even his guitar playing, unlike Keith, who thinks Mick totally stinks on guitar. When WANDERING SPIRIT came out, if iorr.org was around then I'd've been all over it saying how great it was and what a relief that Mick finally did something good and blah blah blah.

GasLightStreet
I appreciate your sense of humor

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:02

On this song (2011) Mick has a strong voice:
[youtu.be]

So, if he wants...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 19:03 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:11

I didn't listen through the whole video KRiffhard - not my cup of tea.
But at the 15 second mark of video there's something that sounds like a massive case of bad flatulence on auto tune - sort of signaling the direction of where this song is heading.

Date: November 11, 2015 19:17

Hairball
But at the 15 second mark of video there's something that sounds like a massive case of bad flatulence on auto tune - sort of signaling the direction of where this song is heading.

I know, that song is horrible...but i like Mick's voice!

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 19:43

KRiffhard
Hairball

How awful! But Mick sounds great. Would love to hear him sing Gimme Shelter or Satisfaction with that aggressiveness on stage!

Date: November 11, 2015 20:15

MonkeyMan2000
KRiffhard
Hairball

How awful! But Mick sounds great. Would love to hear him sing Gimme Shelter or Satisfaction with that aggressiveness on stage!

thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 11, 2015 20:37

MonkeyMan2000
KRiffhard
Hairball

Sorry guys but if I had to sit through a concert of Mick singing like that it would surely be my last. Too much throat and not enough diaphragm for my tastes.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 11, 2015 20:45

proudmary
latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary
I for one love Mick Jagger' singing. Mick's voice with all his idiosyncrasies, his phrasing, his tone, that Jagger attitude with all the sarcastic put downs and occasional bursts of vulnerability - all this is one of the main reasons why I am a fan of this band.
Sure his voice changed with age, he is 72 not 25 or 33 anymore - I understand that. I hear that too. And at the same time: someone may think that Alfie is terrible, but for me Old Habits Die Hard is a great song, I can't get enough of it.
You say Exile bonus disk is horrible - I think Plundered My Soul is one of their best songs of all time, easily in my top five (or ten, it does not matter)
I listen constantly to Some Girls bonus disc, it's my favorite album of the last few years.
So, yes, I miss that voice, Mick Jagger voice which is still able to touch me, to go under my skin. I want to hear the new material, something that I have not heard yet, something unknown. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new Stones album.

I do not think I'm in the minority among Stones fans.But on this forum as it now - definitely.

I totally agree with your statement: with one exception: I don´t think we are in the minority here:))))

No, you are not....very well said, PM, and I also very much enjoy Old Habits and think Mick's singing there is heartfelt and lovely.

It's cool, bloomer and ws, but - if we are the majority - how come that a group of four to five people with their deranged anti-Jagger agenda was able to hijack this board totally? They post every day multiple times in different threads on the same old topic - how horrible everything Jagger is( of course they are precisely those who ejaculate constantly on the new KR album). One starts, then the rest of them are catching up, they encourage each other, give thumbs,dropping the foam from the mouth
No one is arguing with them, not saying to shut the f*** up. Their verbal diarrhea is f***ing tiring and annoying. That's so f***ing boring! Enough!!!
Is it surprising that so many people stopped to post here? As for me - I try and avoid this place. As Lem said nothing really change here. what the @#$%& I need to read for the thousandth time KRiffhard'/HMS'/ Turner' lunacy about anything regarding Mick. And sure DandelionPowderman or GasLightStreet are right there in the middle of action to provoke them further without actually saying the most odious things themselves.
  I really do not understand how bv tolerates this situation - after all he argues that he is against campaigns

Yes, that indeed is tiresome.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 20:52

Naturalust
MonkeyMan2000
KRiffhard
Hairball

Sorry guys but if I had to sit through a concert of Mick singing like that it would surely be my last. Too much throat and not enough diaphragm for my tastes.

I just think he should concentrate more on singing than dancing. I want to see the power in his voice not in his moves. But I understand him, I've never even tried to sing for two hours! It's easy for me to just sit here and criticize...winking smiley

Date: November 11, 2015 20:54

Naturalust
MonkeyMan2000
KRiffhard
Hairball

...not always but sometimes is necessary!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 22:31

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
HMS
If Mick Jagger´s singing is whiny and thin like on Alfie & Superheavy or the Exile-bonus-CD (horrible singing) they maybe should not record an album at all.

EXILE extras Pass The Wine, Plundered and Signifying don't have a "whiny and thin" vocal. The rest of them don't either.

If you want to be taken seriously you'll need to drop the DIRTY WORK obsession. Talk about "winy and thin"...

DW aside, and in fairness, Plundered My Soul, So Divine, Following The River, When You're Gone, the overdubbed parts of Love You Too Much, No Spare Parts, Don't Be A Stranger, Blind Leading The Blind and a few others all have THAT vocal, imo.

But there is great stuff on those albums as well, so there is no doubt Mick can do an album with just as awesome singing as on Doom And Gloom, imo.

I love the vocal on Don't Be a Stranger. The issue is sometimes the modern production style. Mick Jagger was often pushy and a little over the top in his vocals. Back in the day, the records would be mixed to where he was fighting the sound to be heard. Of course, he could do a caressing vocal too, like say Sympathy for the Devil. But his whine was always part of his arsenal.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 22:34

I like his singing on "Harlem Shuffle".

Date: November 11, 2015 22:38

TeddyB1018
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
HMS

DW aside, and in fairness, Plundered My Soul, So Divine, Following The River, When You're Gone, the overdubbed parts of Love You Too Much, No Spare Parts, Don't Be A Stranger, Blind Leading The Blind and a few others all have THAT vocal, imo.

But there is great stuff on those albums as well, so there is no doubt Mick can do an album with just as awesome singing as on Doom And Gloom, imo.

I love the vocal on Don't Be a Stranger. The issue is sometimes the modern production style. Mick Jagger was often pushy and a little over the top in his vocals. Back in the day, the records would be mixed to where he was fighting the sound to be heard. Of course, he could do a caressing vocal too, like say Sympathy for the Devil. But his whine was always part of his arsenal.

I like DBAS as well, and I agree totally with you about modern mixing not always serving him well. Affected singing can be cool, but not necessarily when you hear everything of the vocals.

We can partially blame it on the 1s and 0s smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 22:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2015 00:58

Don't Be A Stranger just sounds rote. They did A LOT during those sessions. So many better tunes left aside for that extra release with those blues by numbers tunes. Perhaps it's was more of a 'what requires the least amount of energy' for Mick as far as his singing on them in 2010 or whenever it was. I dunno. Overall it's just not very good.

It's a shame. Fiji Jim, When The Held Me Tight...

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 03:06

Can't wait to pre order this on Amazon...just waiting for an announcement...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 03:10

stones2000
Can't wait to pre order this on Amazon...just waiting for an announcement...

the question is whether to get the vinyl, the limited edition vinyl with reproduction postcards of the band on the Ole! tour (retail value: $80), or the deluxe super limited edition vinyl with a replica Ron Wood guitar pick (retail value: $750), or the dvd/blueray/cd package with an exclusive 45 minute never before seen video of the band talking about their greatest hits and rehearsing for the "Ole!" tour and bobble head dolls of each band member (retail value: $1500)

so many decisions to make.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: November 12, 2015 05:35

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
HMS

I don't hear thin and whiny on Plundered, No Spare Parts... the rest of those songs I can't comment on having only listened to them a couple of times. They're awful, although I recall So Divine enough that it is a bit... irritating.
I do

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 12, 2015 05:43

GetYerAngie
proudmary
latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary

Yes, that indeed is tiresome.

Agreed.

Posted by: KeefTaylor72 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 06:03

I thought this thread was about "a possible new Rolling Stones album" coming within the next year??!!! I read so much negative stuff, but mostly from a handful of people who just happen to post incessantly! But, the other "fans" post about what the actual thread is about, "excitement over possible new Stones music"! They have been at it over 50 years, let's at least give them a chance to thrill us one more time... Hasn't it been that way for most of the 50 years? I can't think of any other band who's fans get SO EXCITED about the new album coming out. Who cares if it's not quite as good as Let It Bleed or Sticky! If Jagger and Richards happen on some song writing magic, we might get another classic tune that we end up loving as much as some of the old hits. It's the Stones man, you never know with these guys...they're probably the only guys on the planet who could pull this off!!! God bless them, and let's give them a chance to write one more incredible "Stones Song"!! I know I will and it will be fun and filled with anticipation!!! They're the only band that ever was able to make it happen like that before, so I'm willing to wait, listen and enjoy the music!!!!!!

Date: November 12, 2015 08:54

KeefTaylor72
I thought this thread was about "a possible new Rolling Stones album" coming within the next year??!!! I read so much negative stuff, but mostly from a handful of people who just happen to post incessantly! But, the other "fans" post about what the actual thread is about, "excitement over possible new Stones music"! They have been at it over 50 years, let's at least give them a chance to thrill us one more time... Hasn't it been that way for most of the 50 years? I can't think of any other band who's fans get SO EXCITED about the new album coming out. Who cares if it's not quite as good as Let It Bleed or Sticky! If Jagger and Richards happen on some song writing magic, we might get another classic tune that we end up loving as much as some of the old hits. It's the Stones man, you never know with these guys...they're probably the only guys on the planet who could pull this off!!! God bless them, and let's give them a chance to write one more incredible "Stones Song"!! I know I will and it will be fun and filled with anticipation!!! They're the only band that ever was able to make it happen like that before, so I'm willing to wait, listen and enjoy the music!!!!!!

That excitement also includes how we hope the new album will turn out.

I'm happy with any new Stones album, don't get me wrong.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 12, 2015 10:09

i am sure there will be at least One great song with it!!!! and looking forward to it, like a kid for his birtday presents, or for his first night he will have sex .

Jeroen

Date: November 12, 2015 10:18

corriecas
i am sure there will be at least One great song with it!!!! and looking forward to it, like a kid for his birtday presents, or for his first night he will have sex .

Jeroen

There are ALWAYS great songs on Stones albums – no exceptions! smileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 12, 2015 10:32

DandelionPowderman
corriecas

Jeroen

There are ALWAYS great songs on Stones albums – no exceptions! smileys with beer

THAT is True dandelion smileys with beerhot smiley,
and i am sure, the stones will do Everything to make sure the new album will be Great
Jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:13

DandelionPowderman
corriecas

Jeroen

If you put it like that... So all their latest albums are basically a lot of songs that are only there as package of two or three great songs.

Date: November 12, 2015 11:21

matxil
DandelionPowderman
corriecas

Jeroen

If you put it like that... So all their latest albums are basically a lot of songs that are only there as package of two or three great songs.

Well, personally I think there are more than two or three great songs on those albums.

However, I know people see that differently, but imo there is always great stuff on their albums.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:26

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
corriecas

Jeroen

Well, personally I think there are more than two or three great songs on those albums.

However, I know people see that differently, but imo there is always great stuff on their albums.

Well, that depends on which of the later albums we're talking about. But, yes, I agree there is still great stuff on them. You could probably fill at least one full very good album with all post-Undercover songs.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:27

My memory of sex for the first time, unfortunately, is more akin to a great song by Ramones than the Stones ... Fast Punk, fast over...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2015 12:07

Ya damn Jack-Rabbit ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 12, 2015 12:16

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
corriecas

Jeroen

...i'm still searching for 'great' songs on 'A Bigger Bang'!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home