Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 15, 2016 20:15

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
All of this talk on whether they should or shouldn't and what the point of a release is is really reminding me of the new Paul McCartney Rolling Stone interview. He said he's releasing a new album not because he needs to, but because he can. He credits that attitude towards having written some songs he likes and hopes everyone else will, which is making me wonder- does Mick think the Stones have passed their expiration but refuses to throw out the can, so to speak? That's one of the main differences between Mick and Paul as frontmen, imo. Paul thinks of how the fans, and I'm sure to an extent, the general public (i.e. potential new fans), will react to a new album or song, whereas Mick seems to only look at potential record sales as opposed to keeping their existing fan-base well-fed with new material (not re-recorded parts dubbed over a thirty-five year old vocal track), so to speak.

bullsht,Paul is trying to throw everything he can against the wall and hope something sticks.anyone who is desperate enough for a hit song that he teams up with Kanye West to get on the charts is still chasing the dream.

Paul is such a phony"i'm just writing songs and hope the fans will like it"-no Paulie,you're trying to sell as many records as you can,just like everyone else.nice try with the excuse for all those bombs though.

Mick is dealing with a great legacy that is the Rolling Stones,Maccas little pop group folded 46 years ago.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 15, 2016 21:09

Meanwhile the Neil Young continues to do whatever he wants which is new material plus archival releases. Who headlines the second night Neil or McCartney? Young has been quoted recently that he'll play what he feels like playing in October...smileys with beer

Posted by: mkbbci ()
Date: August 15, 2016 22:28

today I heard from a fairly reliable person some hopeful information.by the end of august the stones will announce 2 things-the release date of a new studio album-all blues covers.jagger thinks it will help keep them relevant in America.also 15 north American concert dates will be announced before the end of this month,including the 2 desert trip shows.it will be mostly arena shows.ticket prices will be quite high.one reason is the tremendous amount of security needed in the insane world we now live in.my source also believes a stones new studio album of jagger-richards songs will come out just before the European tour begins sometime around june.i,m sorry I can,t reveal my source.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 15, 2016 22:48

Why would 'an album of blues covers keep them relevant in America' ?
And I don't think anyone will buy into the Arena/ Security theory.
Arena/ Mega Dosh more like.

Anyway, any news is good news.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 15, 2016 23:08

mkbbci
today I heard from a fairly reliable person some hopeful information.by the end of august the stones will announce 2 things-the release date of a new studio album-all blues covers.jagger thinks it will help keep them relevant in America.also 15 north American concert dates will be announced before the end of this month,including the 2 desert trip shows.it will be mostly arena shows.ticket prices will be quite high.one reason is the tremendous amount of security needed in the insane world we now live in.my source also believes a stones new studio album of jagger-richards songs will come out just before the European tour begins sometime around june.i,m sorry I can,t reveal my source.

All blues covers? Boring thumbs down

Date: August 15, 2016 23:10

It all makes sense if true, especially the security theory. Fingers crossed on both fronts…...smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2016 23:18

mkbbci

Hi Mkbbci,
is he the same source who told you that in January,2015,the Stones recorded some new tracks at Chess studios in Chicago?!
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-15 23:21 by KRiffhard.

Date: August 15, 2016 23:38

lem motlow
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
All of this talk on whether they should or shouldn't and what the point of a release is is really reminding me of the new Paul McCartney Rolling Stone interview. He said he's releasing a new album not because he needs to, but because he can. He credits that attitude towards having written some songs he likes and hopes everyone else will, which is making me wonder- does Mick think the Stones have passed their expiration but refuses to throw out the can, so to speak? That's one of the main differences between Mick and Paul as frontmen, imo. Paul thinks of how the fans, and I'm sure to an extent, the general public (i.e. potential new fans), will react to a new album or song, whereas Mick seems to only look at potential record sales as opposed to keeping their existing fan-base well-fed with new material (not re-recorded parts dubbed over a thirty-five year old vocal track), so to speak.

bullsht,Paul is trying to throw everything he can against the wall and hope something sticks.anyone who is desperate enough for a hit song that he teams up with Kanye West to get on the charts is still chasing the dream.

Paul is such a phony"i'm just writing songs and hope the fans will like it"-no Paulie,you're trying to sell as many records as you can,just like everyone else.nice try with the excuse for all those bombs though.

Mick is dealing with a great legacy that is the Rolling Stones,Maccas little pop group folded 46 years ago.

While I will agree that some of Macca's previous collaborations have been pretty questionable, I would like to point out that he may be trying formulas that have worked well for him in the past, like Stevie Wonder on 'Ebony & Ivory' (surprisingly a #1 hit) and Michael Jackson on 'Say Say Say' (a #1 hit) and 'The Girl is Mine' (#1 in select genre charts). Can you blame Paul?

And I'm also pretty sure the same about the Stones' career folding in 1969 or 1974...

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 15, 2016 23:41

My sources are doubting your sources.
Only Ian Billen can solve the mystery.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 16, 2016 00:04

mkbbci

That was the main plan for a while, a root-blues album for the American market and a new album for Europe next year, European fans are way more open to hear or buy new stuff than the Americans. Let's see if this plan, arranged during a band/Universal meeting in Mexico during the South American tour will be the one released after all.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 16, 2016 00:18

mkbbci

There goes my hope that 1 or 2 of them would show up at Bill's 80th gig, USA getting everything again eye rolling smiley

Date: August 16, 2016 00:35

.no,my source is not the same one about the 2015 chess studio recordings.but my guy for that one insists it,s true.although it,s now a museum,music can be recorded almost anywhere these days with modern technology.the youngest offspring of brian jones told me she also heard that rumour.she was at chess studios last year.her name is Barbara bogdan wolf.look her up on facebook if you don,t believe me.as far as the relevancy of a blues album in America,the stones have always had an affinity for the old black bluesmen.they basically reinvented that music into their own style,doing it better than any other band.this is a well known fact.perhaps mick feels it would be great to salute them,especially since many of them are no longer with us.by the way,those who know mick says that he never believes that he has enough money,ever.maybe he ,s worried that after all the recent release of basically older music,it,s time to create new music,even if it doesn,t sell really well.he also wants money to give his pregnant girlfriend

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2016 00:38

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
lem motlow
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

While I will agree that some of Macca's previous collaborations have been pretty questionable, I would like to point out that he may be trying formulas that have worked well for him in the past, like Stevie Wonder on 'Ebony & Ivory' (surprisingly a #1 hit) and Michael Jackson on 'Say Say Say' (a #1 hit) and 'The Girl is Mine' (#1 in select genre charts). Can you blame Paul?

And I'm also pretty sure the same about the Stones' career folding in 1969 or 1974...

And then there's Mick's collaborations with Michael Jackson, Will.I.Am (sp? lol), Superheavy, Lenny Kravitz, Alfie/Dave Stewart, and other questionable projects I can't think of at the moment. So while Mick is indeed 'dealing with a great legacy that is the Rolling Stones' as lem motlow states, he's also been 'chasing the dream' with oddball detours and throwing all kinds of crap at the wall. And that's not to mention the live collaboration with Taylor Swift, and all the other weirdos who were brought out as guests for Stones shows during the last few tours (I think it mainly during 50 and Counting)...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 16, 2016 01:01

the idea that they would use supposed new security needs as an excuse for high ticket prices (sounds just like them) lends this rumor the ring of truth, at least the tour part. How a blues album keeps (keeps?) them "relevant" I have no idea.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 16, 2016 01:01

mkbbci
.no,my source is not the same one about the 2015 chess studio recordings.but my guy for that one insists it,s true.although it,s now a museum,music can be recorded almost anywhere these days with modern technology.the youngest offspring of brian jones told me she also heard that rumour.she was at chess studios last year.her name is Barbara bogdan wolf.look her up on facebook if you don,t believe me.as far as the relevancy of a blues album in America,the stones have always had an affinity for the old black bluesmen.they basically reinvented that music into their own style,doing it better than any other band.this is a well known fact.perhaps mick feels it would be great to salute them,especially since many of them are no longer with us.by the way,those who know mick says that he never believes that he has enough money,ever.maybe he ,s worried that after all the recent release of basically older music,it,s time to create new music,even if it doesn,t sell really well.he also wants money to give his pregnant girlfriend

Uum...sorry to sound negative, but some of this just doesn't 'sound right'.
Also, Brian's last child was surely the 1965 birth (mother Dawn Molloy) which Bill refers to in his book, as do the other biographers.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 16, 2016 01:05

jlowe
mkbbci

Uum...sorry to sound negative, but some of this just doesn't 'sound right'.
Also, Brian's last child was surely the 1965 birth (mother Dawn Molloy) which Bill refers to in his book, as do the other biographers.

Some? This sounds incoherent. The idea that they are going to announce 14 dates, mostly arenas, with high ticket prices, well you really do not need an insider for that one. Everyone here knows that is going to happen. Then add in the knowledge that they cut a few blues numbers and, voila, an inside source says they are going to release a blues album. In other words, nothing new.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 16, 2016 02:21

mkbbci

Relevant?

How does an album of blues covers keep The Stones 'relevant'. If anything.. an album of covers with songs that have no chance of charting keeps them 'less' relevant (as opposed to putting the new album out first).

Is it possible you mean 'active' ... not relevant?

Is the part about Mick wanting money for his pregnant girlfriend the reason for the release of the blues album a joke? (I hope so).

I am not intending to rip on you. I mean no disrespect.. but all this in your news doesn't sound right (as was said).

Ian

Date: August 16, 2016 04:46

first of all,i don,t like being called a liar.the late brian jones had 2 daughters,and 5 sons,all with different women.i have read over 500 stones related books.his youngest offspring was born on February 23,1969,a few months before brian died.barbara Bogdan wolf never met her dad.why don't,you look her up on facebook before calling me a liar?barbara is not one of my stones sources,but I have communicated with her several times on facebook.she is 47 and has 5 kids.her American mother is still living.she is friends with some of her stepbrothers.i don,t put up posts unless I have heard some credible information about the stones.i,m not looking for attention.believe whatever you want.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 16, 2016 05:21

mkbbci
first of all,i don,t like being called a liar.the late brian jones had 2 daughters,and 5 sons,all with different women.i have read over 500 stones related books.his youngest offspring was born on February 23,1969,a few months before brian died.barbara Bogdan wolf never met her dad.why don't,you look her up on facebook before calling me a liar?barbara is not one of my stones sources,but I have communicated with her several times on facebook.she is 47 and has 5 kids.her American mother is still living.she is friends with some of her stepbrothers.i don,t put up posts unless I have heard some credible information about the stones.i,m not looking for attention.believe whatever you want.

Well I didn't say you were 'lying'.. nor did I mean to sound like I was implying it. I simply said this doesn't sound right. Doesn't sound like it makes a load of sense is what I'm meaning. Perhaps your sources are wrong (that happens all the time). Perhaps they are funnin. Perhaps they got the wrong news themselves? Never said (or thought) you were making all this up .. I am simply saying perhaps your sources are wrong or incorrect. I do think it is hard to swallow is all I (and others) are sayin. That's all I was trying to get across.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 05:23 by IanBillen.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 16, 2016 05:35

mkbbci

There you have it...again...I've said it before and say it again: Anyone with inside information should keep it for themselves. Or share it only with a close circle of reliable friends. Doing it publically on a message board like this usually makes you look like an idiot or even liar in particular when bands change their original plans which happens more often than not. I'm not 16 anymore, I don't need to know what exactly my favourite band is planning many months in advance before any official announcements. That's one reason why I don't even bother to ask my "inside sources" (usually musicians) to give me "inside information" anymore. Makes life a lot easier!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2016 06:56

..everybody's got something to tell except for me and my monkey ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 16, 2016 07:55

Makes sense to release some new stuff before the fall tour. Highlighting a blues
covers release at the desert trip shows should move some product as there will
be 200,000 in attendence if you count both weekends.

Date: August 16, 2016 09:11

A blues covers album keep them relevant in USA?! In 2016?!! confused smiley
I doubt it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 09:21 by KRiffhard.

Date: August 16, 2016 13:21

mkbbci

Mkbbci, thanks for adding credible info always appreciated. It's usually healthy to engage but this thread(and eventually all IORR threads....haha) disintegrate because we are not insiders. Georgelicks backed your claim. I hope the blues album comes out so we can discuss a tangible product and it's relevance. Until then it's the Wild Wild West and we are on page 127 of a borderline Seinfeldian script!! I'm just as bad as everyone with opinions. If the blues album sounds like 1963 I'll be scratching my head but if it sounds like early Black Keys or current Record Company then bring it on...cool smiley

Date: August 16, 2016 13:30

georgelicks
mkbbci

That was the main plan for a while, a root-blues album for the American market and a new album for Europe next year, European fans are way more open to hear or buy new stuff than the Americans. Let's see if this plan, arranged during a band/Universal meeting in Mexico during the South American tour will be the one released after all.

What about the alleged «Chess Sessions» reported here earlier, have you heard anything about those and what they planned/plan to do with them, georgelicks?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 16, 2016 13:58

thanks for the info Georgelicks, really appreciated. we'll see what comes.

Still this Stones/Universal "Planning" sounds a bit ridicolous or pathetic, as if they should (could) conquer a market or the charts. Music business, at least as seen from down here from the level of a consumer, is a completely different thing from the eighties or seventies, maybe more similar to the beginning of the teenage era when singles ruled and album were, eventually, bland compilations of hits and bits.

Stones have nothing to say in this new/old scenario they're too old and have not work their carrer in keeping the pace of the changes to remain relevant. Be enough to count the eleven years since their last album.

They're gonna keep selling their trademark (hopefully tied to some newly recorded music) no matter what. If success comes wont be because they strike the right moment to release their material but because it is going to be surprisingly good and edgy - or surprisingly bad winking smiley

imho

ps: are they really willing to be update in terms of strategy in the music market, ok then go and see what and how rihanna or beyoncé or lamar do, which is basically not giving a sh and releasing songs and videos after songs and videos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 14:11 by maumau.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 16, 2016 14:19

As ever the Stones are the victims of their own prevailing stature.

Rightly [or wrongly in some eyes] they're still up there amongst the biggest acts in the world...with all the expectations that come with it.

Most , shall we say older, artists have seen their stars dim in the public consciousness over the years and any new work is either off the mainstream radar or seen as a kind of bonus.

The Stones can't get away with that. Anything new has be seen as brilliant or it's inevitably used as a stick to beat them with.

The fact that they probably can't make another Exile or SG doesn't mean that everything since is rubbish....which some folks would often have us believe.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 16, 2016 15:08

They are prisoners of their own successful past as record-selling artists. Any new album not reaching the top five will bee seen as a failure. So Mick is clearly thinking about how the battle can be won. At the end of the day he might find that the battle can´t be won - and to avoid the defeat of charting at No. 26 he might convince his mates to shelve the whole thing and leave it in the can for future vaults releases. The expectations - musically and business-wise - are incrediby high, so how could they ever win? A Blues album will not be much of a sensation, people will say oh my goodness they have no ideas of their own so they do Blues-covers. An album of originals will be decent at best, the Stones aren´t at their artistic peak, it will add nothing to their legacy, so they might as well not release anything new.

I think they first walked into the studio and were optimistic about the recording process. But at some point they became nervous and started to hesitate. Now they think the new material isn´t good enough to be released and also think that people and critics will laugh at an album of Blues-covers, the Stones already hear the mocking comments. The Stones do not want to be mocked at the end of their career, so - imo - there will be no new album, not in fall, not in early spring or whenever. It´s the same with Led Zeppelin or Simon And Garfunkel, who reunited for concerts but never released new albums because they knew it would only ruin their legacy. To release something mediocre after 12 years would be suicidal for the Stones and their legacy as the world´s greatest R n R-band. They are not keen on being humilated by critics and fans.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: August 16, 2016 15:32

Come on people,
think of the pre-2012 Stones wish list, that was discussed here so often and think of what they have done since then. Another world tour, more from the vaults releases, films, an exhibition.. and now, as many people wished for back then, they are likely to release an album full of blues covers, coming full circle to their own roots, apart from the fact that they play the blues just damn well. And also, just as people hoped for as well, they are working on new material to release another album full of new stuff. While we would have liked more original output for the past two deades and it might not be released until next year, this is pretty great news!!! They are a working band, they are a recording band, they will release new music and they will go on tour again very soon. What on earth are we complaining about?? That a band with a 54 year history might not top the charts or live up to the times when they were at the musical top of the world? Gimme a break here and celebrate!!!

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: August 16, 2016 15:33

I'm looking forward to the blues album (although new Jagger/Richards compositions naturally interest me more) but I agree it'll be interesting to see how well it does. On the one hand, as others have said it may not do that well as it seems blues covers records don't generally sell like hot cakes, on the other hand it's the Stones, Clapton is reportedly guesting on it (perhaps there will be other high profile guests too) so marketed right it could do well, I imagine a lot about them going back to their roots etc.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home