Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Keith Richards - Under the influence
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2015 19:03

Naturalust
His Majesty
Naturalust
the Street Fighting Man multi tracks soloed.

Itching to hear this part.

It's way too short but awfully sweet. Someday I'd love to get an Eddie Kramer/George Martin like documentary where they go through the multitracks of classic Stones songs and show us how the music was put together from the individual tracks.

Yes indeed that would be great.
It would be especially interesting to hear the multitracks of some of the Brian era tunes where he added unorthodox instruments - Paint it Black, Lady Jane, Ruby Tuesday, et al,
and then have Keith, Charlie, and Mick talking about the significance of Brian's contribution (if they were willing).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 19:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 5, 2015 22:40

Or all the Mick Taylor tracks that were not used, and have Keith explain it smoking smiley

Date: October 5, 2015 22:50

Saw it Saturday night. Well done.

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 23:00

i haven't examined 1+1 closely but in "Under the Influence" I assume the clips of charlie shown drumming during SFM are from the 1+1 film of the recording of SFTD - is that right?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 5, 2015 23:06

I don't remember that exact set-up in 1+1 but I reckon that is indeed where/when those bits are from.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 6, 2015 06:33

Hairball
Naturalust
His Majesty
Naturalust

It's way too short but awfully sweet. Someday I'd love to get an Eddie Kramer/George Martin like documentary where they go through the multitracks of classic Stones songs and show us how the music was put together from the individual tracks.

It would be especially interesting to hear the multitracks of some of the Brian era tunes where he added unorthodox instruments - Paint it Black, Lady Jane, Ruby Tuesday, et al,
and then have Keith, Charlie, and Mick talking about the significance of Brian's contribution (if they were willing).

While that would indeed be interesting, usually Brian's unorthodox instruments are pretty audible so it's pretty easy to hear what his contributions were. I'd actually be more interested in later periods where the track counts were getting up there and hearing how many doubled guitar and vocal parts were used to get that classic Stones sound. Soloing Micks and Keith's harmonies, Nicky's subtle piano stuff and Bill's bass parts.

Date: October 6, 2015 07:00

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust
His Majesty
Naturalust

While that would indeed be interesting, usually Brian's unorthodox instruments are pretty audible so it's pretty easy to hear what his contributions were. I'd actually be more interested in later periods where the track counts were getting up there and hearing how many doubled guitar and vocal parts were used to get that classic Stones sound. Soloing Micks and Keith's harmonies, Nicky's subtle piano stuff and Bill's bass parts.

Yes it would all be great.
My thoughts on the isolated and obviously audible Brian instruments was based more on the notion of hearing what Keith, Charlie, Mick, Bill, and producers, etc. would have to say regarding Brian's essential contributions with the hope that they might give some positive input and/or insight into his creativity within that still 'primitive' period in rock music history.

While most all bands and musicians of the period stuck to the traditional rock instruments (Beatles being an exception), Brian took it several levels way beyond the norm.

Dulcimer, Recorder, Sitar, Oboe, Mellotron, Marimba, sitar, brass, etc.,....what made Brian tick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 07:02 by Hairball.

Date: October 6, 2015 11:53

His Majesty
Naturalust

Here's the audio of the full sequence, if that helps a little smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 6, 2015 20:35

Hairball

My thoughts on the isolated and obviously audible Brian instruments was based more on the notion of hearing what Keith, Charlie, Mick, Bill, and producers, etc. would have to say regarding Brian's essential contributions with the hope that they might give some positive input and/or insight into his creativity within that still 'primitive' period in rock music history.

While most all bands and musicians of the period stuck to the traditional rock instruments (Beatles being an exception), Brian took it several levels way beyond the norm.

Dulcimer, Recorder, Sitar, Oboe, Mellotron, Marimba, sitar, brass, etc.,....what made Brian tick?

Yes I agree it would be nice to get some specific long discussions from the Stones about his specific contributions on various songs. My theory on what made him tick is a combination of several things.

-Keith becoming more proficient on his guitar and writing the guitar parts, which Brian's ego pushed him away from playing what Keith told him to play or even second guitar parts based around Keith's main part.

-Brian being highly complimented for the odd stuff he did which reinforced his desire to continue down that road.

and

-General boredom with the guitar. Perhaps he had become as good as he wanted or ever imagined on it and was looking for stuff that challenged him a bit more. I know plenty of guitarists who have got to the point where they could play Stairway or Little Wing or whatever and then put the guitar down never to pick it up again. lol

Date: October 6, 2015 21:12

+ several other english bands (not just the Beatles) were experimenting with unusual instruments at the time. I don't think neither Beatles were first with recording the sitar, for instance.

Date: October 6, 2015 21:18

DandelionPowderman
+ several other english bands (not just the Beatles) were experimenting with unusual instruments at the time. I don't think neither Beatles were first with recording the sitar, for instance.

New video game in India coming soon to England - Sitar Hero. smoking smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 21:19

grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 6, 2015 22:54

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you! smileys with beer

Confirms what i've long suspected, the trap set drums sound quite small on the initial cassette recording. Adds a sound, but also helps keep time for the later overdubs. All the beef and big size of the drums on the finished recording comes from the overdubbed drums on the multi-track.

Can hear the sitar come in after a few bars, but Keith once again forgets that Brian played in to the cassette recorder at same time as he and Charlie.

Much appreciated dandie. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 22:55 by His Majesty.

Date: October 6, 2015 23:27

DandelionPowderman

interesting topic. it would be interesting to know if it was the beatles who inspired brian to discover and explore more, or vice versa. or perhaps they just both encouraged one another.

the beatles clearly respected brian and spent time with him.

Date: October 6, 2015 23:27

thumbs up

Date: October 6, 2015 23:30

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you! smileys with beer

Confirms what i've long suspected, the trap set drums sound quite small on the initial cassette recording. Adds a sound, but also helps keep time for the later overdubs. All the beef and big size of the drums on the finished recording comes from the overdubbed drums on the multi-track.

Can hear the sitar come in after a few bars, but Keith once again forgets that Brian played in to the cassette recorder at same time as he and Charlie.

Much appreciated dandie. thumbs up

hmm you also can hear the piano too though - are we sure what we are listening to is just what was played into the cassette recorder? or was it from later in the production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 01:19 by Turner68.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 7, 2015 00:58

It was interesting and enjoyable but was really just a promo documentary for his new album. There was little we haven't all seen before besides the new album coverage.

Date: October 7, 2015 01:14

We hadn't seen the SFM sequence, Keith's piano jam, the pool match with Buddy, the jamming, Keith's take on country music etc. etc. A brilliant film, imo.

Date: October 7, 2015 01:18

DandelionPowderman

True, I tried to convey that by saying:

While most all bands and musicians of the period stuck to the traditional rock instruments (Beatles being an exception)...

Not THE exception, but an exception.
The Beatles are the first band that came to mind as an example of that, but I suppose I wasn't clear enough. thumbs up

Date: October 7, 2015 01:19

Markdog
It was interesting and enjoyable but was really just a promo documentary for his new album. There was little we haven't all seen before besides the new album coverage.

you haven't watched the film?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 7, 2015 01:24

Markdog

Well, i guess you watched the wrong thing then. Wake up!!
jeroen

Date: October 7, 2015 01:24

Naturalust
Hairball

Yes I agree it would be nice to get some specific long discussions from the Stones about his specific contributions on various songs. My theory on what made him tick is a combination of several things.

-Keith becoming more proficient on his guitar and writing the guitar parts, which Brian's ego pushed him away from playing what Keith told him to play or even second guitar parts based around Keith's main part.

-Brian being highly complimented for the odd stuff he did which reinforced his desire to continue down that road.

and

-General boredom with the guitar. Perhaps he had become as good as he wanted or ever imagined on it and was looking for stuff that challenged him a bit more. I know plenty of guitarists who have got to the point where they could play Stairway or Little Wing or whatever and then put the guitar down never to pick it up again. lol

Ahh missed your reply Naturalust and your theories make sense.
And what about the influx of heavy drug experimentation on Brian's part...
perhaps his creative impulses led him onto uncharted territory - not only musically but mentally as well.
Just a thought....

Date: October 7, 2015 01:42

Turner68

hmm you also can hear the piano too though - are we sure what we are listening to is just what was played into the cassette recorder? or was it from later in the production.

In dandies clip we hear just what was on the cassette recording for the first 20 seconds or so.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 7, 2015 01:53

Date: October 7, 2015 02:02

His Majesty
Turner68

In dandies clip we hear just what was on the cassette recording for the first 20 seconds or so.

i didn't hear the sitar in the first 20 seconds, i'll listen again.

Date: October 7, 2015 03:01

It comes in shortly after the first seconds of strumming, more of a treble, distorted addition rather than noticable sitar.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 7, 2015 03:26

that is a sugar maple and tiger lilies, and a hosta in the intro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 03:28 by tumbled.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2015 06:04

Markdog

Well, what's your point then? Of course it was to promote the new album. It wasn't about the Stones! Yet they didn't even technically talk about the new album.

When is a documentary NOT a promo about SOMETHING?

Date: October 7, 2015 09:03

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

True, I tried to convey that by saying:

While most all bands and musicians of the period stuck to the traditional rock instruments (Beatles being an exception)...

Not THE exception, but an exception.
The Beatles are the first band that came to mind as an example of that, but I suppose I wasn't clear enough. thumbs up

But did "most british bands" stick to the traditional formula? Seemingly, there was an explosion in discovering new sounds and instruments round 1966.

Bands had to keep up in swinging London, I reckon. Even the Stones started doing pre-psychedelic music hall smiling smiley

Date: October 7, 2015 09:39

A better point to highlight would be that in 1966 The Rolling Stones were one of the few UK bands to have a member of the band play unusual, for rock, instruments.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home