Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Keith Richards - Under the influence
Date: September 30, 2015 19:51

GasLightStreet
It's a nice peak into the heart of Keith Richards as a musician while providing a glimpse into the life of Keith Richards without making it too weighed down by Stones history.

In short, a well made document that doesn't over stay its welcome.

That's the film I saw as well. I don't know how people let themselves be annoyed by a docu like this...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2015 19:54

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
It's a nice peak into the heart of Keith Richards as a musician while providing a glimpse into the life of Keith Richards without making it too weighed down by Stones history.

That's the film I saw as well. I don't know how people let themselves be annoyed by a docu like this...

Because they have stupid notions I guess.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 30, 2015 20:28

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Because you can't please some people any of the time.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2015 21:16

Green Lady
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Because you can't please some people any of the time.

Has any one here actually expressed being annoyed by this film? Maybe in another thread that I missed.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2015 22:04

If memory serves not everyone was delighted in this thread: [www.iorr.org]
Or maybe someone on page 2 of this one

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 30, 2015 22:22

with sssoul

I think you're correct with sssoul... More than a few negative comments about things like Keith's changing memories, not enough Stones, the fact that it wasn't what THEY wanted in the documentary or that they could have done it better or would have done it differently. Here in the USA we have a terms of "Armchair Quarterbacks" or "Monday Morning Coaches" and many of them seemed to have opinions when the documentary was first released.

I've seen it twice so far and fully expect to enjoy it again when I watch it for a third time this weekend.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 30, 2015 22:34

mr_dja
with sssoul

I think you're correct with sssoul... More than a few negative comments about things like Keith's changing memories, not enough Stones, the fact that it wasn't what THEY wanted in the documentary or that they could have done it better or would have done it differently. Here in the USA we have a terms of "Armchair Quarterbacks" or "Monday Morning Coaches" and many of them seemed to have opinions when the documentary was first released.

I've seen it twice so far and fully expect to enjoy it again when I watch it for a third time this weekend.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Well in that case your's and others opinions more than balance out the negative stuff. smoking smiley I tend to put a little more value in other people's opinions, whether I agree with them or not. It's reasonable to assume that some folks actually were disappointed by the film, especially when they give their reasons, no worries. Just because they were doesn't necessarily make them an arm chair quarterback, imo.

I thought the film was GREAT!

Date: September 30, 2015 22:34

Some people weren't too happy with Keith/the film in this thread, either.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 1, 2015 01:05

I remember all sorts of stuff going on. Huge uproar about how Keith insulted Muddy Waters by telling the ceiling painting story again. Some it from people who hadn't seen the movie yet ;-)

Date: October 1, 2015 01:06

LOL

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: October 2, 2015 05:23

Well, watching him play 'Malageuna' I see where he gets those licks for stuff like 'Rock And A Hard Place'.

Date: October 2, 2015 07:03

never expected to see those 2 songs in the same sentence :-)

Date: October 2, 2015 08:45

Turner68
never expected to see those 2 songs in the same sentence :-)

Whaat! After all I did to make that happen? smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2015 13:09

I was just disappointed because the intro is great, with the trees and Keith walking. And then just the same, more or less, routine. I was hoping for a more independent Keith, one that has matured or at least developed a bit (despite what he says about never growing up). Maybe he has but just does the same old act in front of the camera.

Date: October 2, 2015 16:27

My interest in Stones lies in their music. Their personal lives...well...I think I know enough. I can not judge, obviously. Apart from that...his oversweet narcissim is a drag. As well as his fondness for the dark side. He does not seem a happy person, as Jagger says.

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 19:11

A thoroughly enjoyable 80 minutes. That laugh! Grwwwwwhhhaahhhaaaawww smiling smiley smiling smiley

Date: October 2, 2015 20:08

emotionalbarbecue
My interest in Stones lies in their music. Their personal lives...well...I think I know enough. I can not judge, obviously. Apart from that...his oversweet narcissim is a drag. As well as his fondness for the dark side. He does not seem a happy person, as Jagger says.

I don't know if you missed it but there is a point where it is openly discussed that he has a persona he uses to keep the "outside" at arms length and that the persona is not one he particularly enjoys anymore but feels stuck with. He says he might rather not have to deal with the outside world at all but that isn't part of the job description. This fits well with how most junkies and ex junkies feel so I find it genuine.

Date: October 2, 2015 21:29

Naturalust
mr_dja
with sssoul

Peace,
Mr DJA

Well in that case your's and others opinions more than balance out the negative stuff. smoking smiley I tend to put a little more value in other people's opinions, whether I agree with them or not. It's reasonable to assume that some folks actually were disappointed by the film, especially when they give their reasons, no worries. Just because they were doesn't necessarily make them an arm chair quarterback, imo.

Thanks for the b!tch-slap. I'm not sure I deserved it but, since you tend to put a little more value in other people's opinions, whether you agree with them or not, I guess it was appropriate for you to reach down from your moral high-ground and attempt to set me straight.

Possibly you could give me your definition of "arm chair quarterbacking" so I don't misuse the term in the future. Based on my knowledge of the phrase, I was of the opinion that there was a fair amount of that going on in the critiquing of the documentary.

I will let you know in advance, there's no need to give my opinions any additional value as I know for a fact that they're not worth any more than those of any of the other's who are posting here. I have no doubt that there are probably people here who would tell you that my opinion's are actually worth LESS than some other's and, I don't think I'd argue with them. smileys with beer Drinking with them is far more enjoyable!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 2, 2015 21:52

mr_dja
Naturalust
mr_dja
with sssoul

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thanks for the b!tch-slap. I'm not sure I deserved it but, since you tend to put a little more value in other people's opinions, whether you agree with them or not, I guess it was appropriate for you to reach down from your moral high-ground and attempt to set me straight.

Possibly you could give me your definition of "arm chair quarterbacking" so I don't misuse the term in the future. Based on my knowledge of the phrase, I was of the opinion that there was a fair amount of that going on in the critiquing of the documentary.

I will let you know in advance, there's no need to give my opinions any additional value as I know for a fact that they're not worth any more than those of any of the other's who are posting here. I have no doubt that there are probably people here who would tell you that my opinion's are actually worth LESS than some other's and, I don't think I'd argue with them. smileys with beer Drinking with them is far more enjoyable!

Peace,
Mr DJA

No worries DJA, My intention was not to bitch slap or come from some high moral ground. I understand your comments and your definition probably fits as well as any. The nature of critique often involves elements of arm chair quarterbacking, I probably should have read the comments you were referring too a bit better, my bad. I apologize for critiquing your comment. I'm probably just a bit reactionary from the tendency I see here to jump on folks who have different (usually negative) opinions of some things Keith does these days. Not everyone is going to love the record or the film obviously, even hard core Stones fans.

I actually liked the documentary alot, not enough to watch it again for a while but I thought the guy did a great job with the cinematography and the content. Overall I came away feeling a bit sad actually, seeing Keith obviously aging and realizing he won't be around forever. I truly do love the guy.

Date: October 2, 2015 22:58

Naturalust
mr_dja
Naturalust
mr_dja
with sssoul

Peace,
Mr DJA

Peace,
Mr DJA

No worries DJA, My intention was not to bitch slap or come from some high moral ground. I understand your comments and your definition probably fits as well as any. The nature of critique often involves elements of arm chair quarterbacking, I probably should have read the comments you were referring too a bit better, my bad. I apologize for critiquing your comment. I'm probably just a bit reactionary from the tendency I see here to jump on folks who have different (usually negative) opinions of some things Keith does these days. Not everyone is going to love the record or the film obviously, even hard core Stones fans.

I actually liked the documentary alot, not enough to watch it again for a while but I thought the guy did a great job with the cinematography and the content. Overall I came away feeling a bit sad actually, seeing Keith obviously aging and realizing he won't be around forever. I truly do love the guy.

Now THERE'S the Naturalust I've come to "know" and respect smileys with beer From my side I probably owe you an apology for my reply as I hadn't really considered that you might be reacting to a "big picture" as opposed to just my "little picture". Cast in that light, your reply makes more sense. It's all good!

Your observation of what I see as the growing tendency to "shout down/insult/jump on" those with differing views around here is, unfortunately, pretty spot on recently. As I watch the "Can we make it fun again" thread, I have been hoping that we could just make it a debate/discussion rather than a fight/argument. For myself, I've found I learn a whole lot more in the first scenario than I do the second. Also, that's what I remember from the time when I first lurked then joined IORR. "Back then" there seemed to be far more discussing & debating going on with much less fighting & arguing.

Totally understandable that you came away feeling a bit sad after the documentary, as you explained it. I'd imagine that everyone here has a bit of that feeling even if some of us don't want to admit or focus on it. For myself, I was able to focus on the "Keith looks happy" view and keep the "dang, we're getting closer to the end" view at bay. If I remember correctly, you actually worked closely with Keith in the past and I can see where that would make it really easy to see the difference between what you remember from then in stark comparison to what you see now. I guess that I should, at least in some ways, count myself as lucky that, all of my "views" of the Stones are "outside snapshots" as opposed to "inside personal" views.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 3, 2015 00:12

mr_dja

Totally understandable that you came away feeling a bit sad after the documentary, as you explained it. I'd imagine that everyone here has a bit of that feeling even if some of us don't want to admit or focus on it. For myself, I was able to focus on the "Keith looks happy" view and keep the "dang, we're getting closer to the end" view at bay. If I remember correctly, you actually worked closely with Keith in the past and I can see where that would make it really easy to see the difference between what you remember from then in stark comparison to what you see now. I guess that I should, at least in some ways, count myself as lucky that, all of my "views" of the Stones are "outside snapshots" as opposed to "inside personal" views.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thanks DJA, the feeling is mutual, I've long enjoyed reading your posts, and am actually excited to see when you have posted because I have come to respect your opinion!

I have never worked with Keith per se, I assure you it was all play! Even though I was "working" and getting paid, I probably would have done the resort recreation stuff for free. But you are right somewhat in that I got a very good close and personal look at Keith and Patti back in 1983 and those images burned into my brain are a very different Keith from the one I saw in the documentary, he has mellowed considerable and slowed down a lot. What I do think however, is that the image Keith puts out publicly, isn't really that different from who the man really is, he is that guy who loves to tell a story with a anecdotal punchline and coarse laugh. Even when he is in a private setting it seemed like the same Keith I've seen in video's and interviews. But I even noticed the age thing in Patti, although she is still very beautiful and amazing, in 1983 she was so compellingly beautiful and sweet everybody who met her fell in love with her! I remember she was really concerned about the sunscreen thing back then, insisting that everyone used it whenever we were out in the sun, including Keith!

Anyway sorry again to misinterpret your post, I assure you it was indeed an over reaction on my part. I have read back through the thread and it is indeed somewhat bewildering how critical some people can be with what was essentially a gift to all us Keith and Stones fans.

Date: October 3, 2015 02:06

Regarding the post above, I have a theory that Stones fans have PTSD from the last 30 years, so that when something really good happens (50th anniversary tour, a great Keith album and movie) we tend to act in unpredictable ways, sometimes negatively, because we are so used to being asked to pay $$ for disappointment. We're trained to expect the worst, and sometimes see things for worse than they are as a result.

Date: October 3, 2015 02:09

Constant touring after a five years hiatus, Mick Taylor back, a new Keith double album and a documentary and loads of live albums and dvds out of the blue - yeah, things could have been much better smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2015 03:44

Turner68
Regarding the post above, I have a theory that Stones fans have PTSD from the last 30 years, so that when something really good happens (50th anniversary tour, a great Keith album and movie) we tend to act in unpredictable ways, sometimes negatively, because we are so used to being asked to pay $$ for disappointment. We're trained to expect the worst, and sometimes see things for worse than they are as a result.

When something really good happens...

Some of us act like giddy little kids getting a brand new shiny bicycle for Christmas,
then constantly raving about how cool it is and showing it off to their friends...every little detail!!!

As for me, I try to keep it a bit mellow and low key... grinning smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 3, 2015 10:19

The alternative version of CH and the interesting Blues Jam from the documentary.
Have a nice day.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 4, 2015 00:05

TonyMo
Well, watching him play 'Malageuna' I see where he gets those licks for stuff like 'Rock And A Hard Place'.

But... Mick came up with that jingly shitty thing for that horrible song!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:49

The last shot of Keith when he said he's not getting old but evolving REALLY got me for some reason, and I teared up.

I'd just gotten off the phone with my Dad who's the same age as Keith, so a lot of emotions hit me all at once.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 5, 2015 17:06

Naturalust
the Street Fighting Man multi tracks soloed.

Itching to hear this part.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2015 17:08

Saw it the other day. It's good.

- Doxa

Date: October 5, 2015 18:53

His Majesty
Naturalust
the Street Fighting Man multi tracks soloed.

Itching to hear this part.

It's way too short but awfully sweet. Someday I'd love to get an Eddie Kramer/George Martin like documentary where they go through the multitracks of classic Stones songs and show us how the music was put together from the individual tracks.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home