Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT?: Where is the cheapest site to buy used CDs?
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 1, 2015 07:56

...for delivery in Europe. I am not happy with Discogs.. TIA

Re: OT?: Where is the cheapest site to buy used CDs?
Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 10:07

Date: September 1, 2015 11:36

ouroux58
[www.cdandlp.com]

Thanks but Discogs is cheaper....

Date: September 1, 2015 11:38

musicstack.com is pretty good...

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 12:16

Bliss
ouroux58
[www.cdandlp.com]

Thanks but Discogs is cheaper....

I know but with this one the pictures viewed are what you buy. Not on Discogs.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2015 12:33

[www.ebay.co.uk] on ebay........new and used at pretty decent prices....

all_your_music in the US is very cheap too..............often cheaper than Estocks even allowing for P&P (shipping)..............

The best way, I find, is to just search on ebay, stipulating whether you want new or used and ask for the lowest first in your search criteria....

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 13:00

EddieByword

The best way, I find, is to just search on ebay, stipulating whether you want new or used and ask for the lowest first in your search criteria....
thumbs up
Perfect answer, I obtain all sorts of inexpensive items on ebay, using proper search criteria make finding items simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 13:01 by everwest1.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 1, 2015 13:00

EddieByword

Yes. It's a good record shop.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 1, 2015 13:11

amazon.co.uk - great range of really low prices in the "New & used" section (third party sales) for each title; you'll be able to score brand new CD's for 2 to 4 quid (4 to 6 euro)... And shipping from the UK (!! allways look where the item ships from) via Royal Mail to mainland Europe (2 to 3 £) is by far the cheapest around, imo.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 1, 2015 21:41

Both estocks and amazon market place are good in therms of prices.

But there is a little thing - you can not be sure what particulae pressing you'll get. They use EAN as a main criteria and in the case of estocks never answer questions regarding pressing. For The Rolling Stones old London CD you can get anything - from 1st pressing on Polydor from mid 80s to late 90's French editions. They share the same EAN. The same situation with other editions like Japan for Europe (1986) and Austrian (1988 - 1993) CBS discs. So you know, it could be hit and miss for a collector.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 1, 2015 22:45

Amazon's "new & used" depending on your country..!

Date: September 2, 2015 15:15

Most everything will come eventually at a great price on ebay, for those willing to wait for it.

I waited 6-7 years for one thing I needed and sure enough it eventually shows up and thankfully that satisfied my collection urges... now I am a seller, except that I keep seeing cool things show up for such a good deal that I have to buy, so I am still a collector, but only on great items at bargain prices.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 2, 2015 15:57

jp.M

That's what I use. Mainly for convenience. I haven't done much shopping so I can't say that it's "the cheapest" though. What I have found enjoyable is the ability to "Browse" a genre of music and then "Sort by Price: Low to High" and see what I can find for between $0.01-0.10. Can't begin to estimate how many CDs I've bought that way. Stuff I had never heard of and that probably would have never ended up in my collection ended up there because of that option.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 2, 2015 16:47

mr_dja
jp.M

That's what I use. Mainly for convenience. I haven't done much shopping so I can't say that it's "the cheapest" though. What I have found enjoyable is the ability to "Browse" a genre of music and then "Sort by Price: Low to High" and see what I can find for between $0.01-0.10. Can't begin to estimate how many CDs I've bought that way. Stuff I had never heard of and that probably would have never ended up in my collection ended up there because of that option.

Peace,
Mr DJA

He specifically mentioned "...for delivery in Europe";
and since amazon.com is mainly USA-sellers (and the S&H costs from there to Europe are monstrous),
I'd say he'd best go to amazon.CO.UK and look for UK-sellers (see my earlier post).

Date: September 2, 2015 19:31

It's SHE, actually. And although I appreciate everyone's input and have checked out every suggestion, it turns out that Discogs is the cheapest option for ordinary official cd's. That is because you are buying directly from the vendor, not a middleman.

Date: September 2, 2015 19:39

R.I.P. record stores. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but they have gone the way of 35mm film developing shops. In 30 years they will be like rotary phone, few will even know what they were.

Date: September 2, 2015 19:44

RoughJusticeOnYa
mr_dja
jp.M

Peace,
Mr DJA

He specifically mentioned "...for delivery in Europe";
and since amazon.com is mainly USA-sellers (and the S&H costs from there to Europe are monstrous),
I'd say he'd best go to amazon.CO.UK and look for UK-sellers (see my earlier post).

There are actually four additional European amazon sites in addition to the UK version. France, Germany, Italy & Spain all have their own versions. I have no way of knowing if that would lower the shipping costs for Bliss. I'm not sure if it's true for all versions of Amazon or not but, at least it's true for the .com version that, regardless of where the seller is the shipping price stays the same. I know this due to the fact that the seller I have bought the most used cds from is actually located in England. London I think. Although it does generally take more time for the cds to get to me than the one's I buy from sellers located physically closer to me, the cost is actually the same. I give a big thumbs up to Zoverstocks. Their customer service is fantastic and I'll buy from them without hesitation in the future. Not sure if they sell through all of the European versions of Amazon (surely they do through the .uk version) but they're definitely worth looking for.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: September 2, 2015 19:45

I've been using a site called SecondSpin for a couple of years. As far as I know they ship worldwide (I think they ship without jewel cases outside the US)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 2, 2015 19:46

everwest1
R.I.P. record stores. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but they have gone the way of 35mm film developing shops. In 30 years they will be like rotary phone, few will even know what they were.

Same could be said for CD's actually. Music has been computer files for quite a while, I'm surprised CD's have lasted as long as they have.

Date: September 2, 2015 19:50

Bliss
It's SHE, actually. And although I appreciate everyone's input and have checked out every suggestion, it turns out that Discogs is the cheapest option for ordinary official cd's. That is because you are buying directly from the vendor, not a middleman.

You didn't happen to compare shipping costs for the US did you? Just kidding! Now I'm going to have to check them out to see if I can save money by using them in the US as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 2, 2015 19:55

Speaking of 35mm negatives, last week I went to one of the last shops in my area to make prints from negative affordably in an hour and the man said the place had gotten rid of their 35mm print machine. He said it cost a lot to maintain and hardly anyone was bringing in 35mm negatives anymore. He said the ycan still make prints from digital media.

And he said they can still get prints made from 35mm negatives, but they have to send them out... but horror upon horrors... he said the negatives would not be returned, only a digital disc with the prints. I ran out of that store fast as I could, gently clutching my 20 year old negatives (actually I guess more like 35 years old negatives).

Just an fyi story for anyone out there who might have this on their to-do-list, get it while the getting is good. I imagine prints from 35mm negatives will still be do-able but it will probably be very very expensive.

Date: September 2, 2015 21:06

Bliss

Just out of interest, you wrote in your first post, "I am not happy with Discogs"......how so?

Date: September 2, 2015 21:06

mr_dja
Bliss

You didn't happen to compare shipping costs for the US did you? Just kidding! Now I'm going to have to check them out to see if I can save money by using them in the US as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

They are users all over the world. You can specify where you want to buy from. There's a lot of rarities as well; eg, vinyl.

Date: September 2, 2015 21:10

EddieByword
Bliss

Just out of interest, you wrote in your first post, "I am not happy with Discogs"......how so?

If you were buying from a dealer with a large inventory, the shipping would be cheaper for a number of items. But because you are buying from individuals, it's not likely they would have many or all of the cd's you wish to buy. So there are a lot of individual shipping costs to pay, which drives the cost up.

Date: September 2, 2015 21:19

Bliss
EddieByword
Bliss

If you were buying from a dealer with a large inventory, the shipping would be cheaper for a number of items. But because you are buying from individuals, it's not likely they would have many or all of the cd's you wish to buy. So there are a lot of individual shipping costs to pay, which drives the cost up.

Ahh right, so discogs is a broker?........(I've never used them so don't know anything...........

As an aside, I guess it's like everything , it pays to shop around before you buy to get the best prices...........ie, on ebay, say you want to buy keith's new one, type in Crosseyed heart and refine search to lowest price, most times I find that's Estocks but sometimes all_your_music is cheapest even with shipping from the US...............other times it can be an individual......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 21:24 by EddieByword.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 2, 2015 21:23

Your local Pawn Shop - I have 3 cases of stolen CD's i'm sure are in a pawn shop some where....

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 2, 2015 22:59

There are so many titles you can get for the symbolic amount of 0.01 in whatever currency. It almost feels like deflation. Yet, shipping costs remain the same and re-sellers earn their money on special contracts with the shipping companies.

I guess it all depends on what title you are looking for. It seems to me, though, that now, even the rare stuff is becoming affordable.

Date: September 2, 2015 23:43

The thing is, what I am after is not $.01-.10. The used cd's are over $10 each on most of these sites, plus about $6 for shipping, all in € of course.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 3, 2015 07:00

Date: September 3, 2015 13:30

Thank you, Schillid, but I magnified that photograph of a giant pile of crap and sadly did not see the cd's I am looking for.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home