Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hard Stones Quiz
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 1, 2015 10:44

A quiz like this is only as good as the maker's knowledge of the subject.
Anyway, I scored a decent 90 %, only missing the number of top 1 albums and the name
of the newspaper.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 1, 2015 10:51

VideoJames
The Satisfaction question the answer should have been A tape recorder, not a fuzz box. They got the fuzz box in L.A. after they first recorded it at Chess Studios the day before. If it wasn't for the tape recorder Keith had Satisfaction may never had happened???

According to timeisonourside Keith said in an interview in 1992:
"Whatever it was, it was the first (fuzztone box) Gibson made. I was screaming for more distortion: This riff's really gotta hang hard and long, and we burnt the amps up and turned the shit up, and it still wasn't right. And then Ian Stewart went around the corner to Eli Wallach's Music City or something and came around with a distortion box. Try this. It was as off-hand as that. It was just from nowhere. I never got into the thing after that, either. It had a very limited use, but it was just the right time for that song."

I would think the cassette recorder was more inspirational for Street Fighting Man.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 10:54

frankotero
I scored poorly, only 70%. Guess I should read more.
60-70% is a good score.

I got an 80% as I said above, but I did guess correctly (multiple choice of 3 answers is good odds) on a couple of questions that I was not sure of, so I could have easily gotten a lower score. but still I think it is a good test and I learned (and was reminded) of a couple of things like how many #1 albums our guy have, it seems a lot us underestimated that figure.

Taking(posting) more fact based Stones tests like this could be fun and could be more of a thing around here, at least it would be learning facts versus opinions... it would be fun to add some fact based threads and quizzes to so many opinion threads.

I assume that many who post here hold themselves out to be a very knowledgeable Stones people among family, friends and bar mates... so being reminded and/or learning about actual factual information about our favorite band could be fun and useful.

TL/DR I would look forward to participating in many more tests like this. We could use some short, stocked with good info, all questions on one page (no click baiting requiring us to click from from page to page to see every question like so many things on the web. I appreciated this quiz being on one page).

Thanks for this good test Diplomat, it was fun smileys with beer

PS
As a rule of thumb it is considerate to not post spoilers (giving away the answers) in the threads before everyone has had an opportunity to take the test.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 11:58 by everwest1.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 1, 2015 11:18

80% (in other words, B minus)

I got wrong:

- balloon on Sticky Fingers
- Brian on Yellow Submarine
- total number of #1 albums
- year "Undercover of the Night" was in the Top 10

yawning smiley - this emoticon has no significance -- I just have never used it before

- swiss

Date: September 1, 2015 11:24

90 percent...

Didn't get the #1 albums and Johnny Deep right drinking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 1, 2015 12:03

75 percent. And I'm honest! I thought they performed on Ed Sullivan show before the Dean Martin show. How wrong was I..

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 1, 2015 13:24

80%

WRONG:

# US n° 1 albums
Brian's backing vocals
Sticky Fingers pop-out
TV-show on first US Tour (I thought the played Ed Sullivan that time, too...)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 1, 2015 13:38

marcovandereijk
VideoJames
The Satisfaction question the answer should have been A tape recorder, not a fuzz box. They got the fuzz box in L.A. after they first recorded it at Chess Studios the day before. If it wasn't for the tape recorder Keith had Satisfaction may never had happened???

"Whatever it was, it was the first (fuzztone box) Gibson made. I was screaming for more distortion: This riff's really gotta hang hard and long, and we burnt the amps up and turned the shit up, and it still wasn't right. And then Ian Stewart went around the corner to Eli Wallach's Music City or something and came around with a distortion box. Try this. It was as off-hand as that. It was just from nowhere. I never got into the thing after that, either. It had a very limited use, but it was just the right time for that song."

I would think the cassette recorder was more inspirational for Street Fighting Man.

He had the riff before the pedal.

The question is stupid. What was the inspiration? The horns on Nowhere To Run.

They didn't give that option.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 1, 2015 13:51

85% (3 wrongs)
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 1, 2015 15:02

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 1, 2015 15:09

The Stones Hyde Park concert occurred in 1969, not 1968 (on the 'What did Jagger release...?' question). Apart from that, I only got a 70 on this...bogus!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 15:11 by nightskyman.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 1, 2015 15:22

Shitty Quiz!!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 1, 2015 15:39

90%, I missed the newspaper question and the first U.S. TV show question.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 1, 2015 18:43

95% The question I answered incorrectly being the one several here seemingly stumbled on: 'how many U.S. No.1 albums?'

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: September 1, 2015 18:59

Me too.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:53

His Majesty
marcovandereijk
VideoJames

He had the riff before the pedal.

The question is stupid. What was the inspiration? The horns on Nowhere To Run.

They didn't give that option.

The story I read was that Keith dreamt the riff in a hotel in Clearwater FLA..................therefore nothing actually inspired it.......the tape recorder came in, in that he woke up and in a stupor played the riff into a cassette recorder., promptly fell asleep again, woke in the morning (or evening) and at some point later looked at the cassette, saw it had played through to the end of the tape and instantly knew there must be something on there but couldn't remember what so rewound the tape and 'discovered' Satisfaction.............Mick, apparently, wrote the words a short time later..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 19:54 by EddieByword.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 1, 2015 20:59

I did it again score 100% grinning smiley

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 1, 2015 21:01

DandelionPowderman
90 percent...

Didn't get the #1 albums and Johnny Deep right drinking smiley

95%
i always get johnny depp right
winking smiley

it is very wonky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 21:03 by CloudCat.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 1, 2015 21:04

85%... My parents would be proud!! A solid B

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 21:08

NICOS
I did it again score 100% grinning smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:07

EddieByword

The story I read was that Keith dreamt the riff in a hotel in Clearwater FLA..................therefore nothing actually inspired it.......the tape recorder came in, in that he woke up and in a stupor played the riff into a cassette recorder., promptly fell asleep again, woke in the morning (or evening) and at some point later looked at the cassette, saw it had played through to the end of the tape and instantly knew there must be something on there but couldn't remember what so rewound the tape and 'discovered' Satisfaction.............Mick, apparently, wrote the words a short time later..........

The dream/tape recorder thing happened in England, probably at Hyde Park hotel, the song was completed at Clearwater.

His dream riff was obviously just him hearing the horn to Nowhere To Run in his head when he was asleep.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:14

Missed the Brian Jones/Beatles vocal question. Had to guess, but got it correct, on the number of #1s.

Posted by: rockville ()
Date: September 2, 2015 02:59

85%. #1 albums, Beatles tune and Sticky fingers appendix.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 2, 2015 17:56

Big Al
95% The question I answered incorrectly being the one several here seemingly stumbled on: 'how many U.S. No.1 albums?'

Same here, Big Al

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 2, 2015 17:58

Come On
Here are the back-up-vocalists on Yellow Submarine:

Neil Aspinall, George Martin, Geoff Emerick, Patti Harrison, Brian Jones, Marianne Faithfull, Alf Bicknell

Didn't Brian also play sax on a Beatles song?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 2, 2015 18:41

I missed the Brian question and the number of #1 albums. I think Brian played sax on the Beatles song Baby Your a Rich Man....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home