Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Plundered My Soul
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 1, 2015 18:09

HMS
LuxuryStones
Easily the best track they released since Taylor left the band.

I love your sense of humoursmoking smiley

I'm deadly serious.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:02

Great song. Hearing Hopkins on a Stones song makes it for me.

Taylor's playing perfectly compliments the 40 year old backing track. Funny how he can do no right for some fans here. Either he's overplaying or he's not doing enough.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:17

TravelinMan
Taylor's playing [....] Either he's overplaying or he's not doing enough.

I like him the best when he is doing nothing.grinning smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:32

HMS
TravelinMan

I like him best when he is on stage and it is 1969

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:46

Turner68
HMS
TravelinMan

I like him best when he is on stage and it is 1969

Not even on stage with Bob Dylan ?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:59

DandelionPowderman, you'll notice many people here are very opinionated, or maybe I should say passionate? Sometimes it's hard to understand what's trying to be communicated with only typed words. As long as we play nice as BV asks we should be fine. For instance I love PMS and you don't. I'm not going to ding you for it, though I can't understand itsmiling smiley Come to think of it Stones Fans can't understand my dis-like of Exile. The reason is I don't like country music. But the songs that aren't flavored with country I love. This is why Sticky Fingers is my favorite. But I totally respect those that love/prefer Exile. My loss I guess. No matter how hard I try I just can't swallow country music. The closest I've come is my love for Faraway Eyes. No Spare parts is very good too. Cheers!

Date: September 1, 2015 20:41

HMS
TravelinMan

I will never understand that, but hey, to each their own.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 1, 2015 23:24

DandelionPowderman

When people are talking about the wonderful and unique guitar playing on it, and I can't hear it, it would probably be wise for me to just leave it at that.

This idea I simply don't get as far as we are talking about the greatness of songs and not that of some particaluar parts of them (for example, guitar parts). This must be something deep guitar experts stuff or Taylorite angst or something, but for me a great song is much more than just the guitars in it, or let's say, I hear there a lot of other things as well than just the guitars.

Honestly, I have not heard anyone, even the biggest Taylorites, praising Taylor's guitar contribution in "Plundered My Soul" anything specifically 'wonderful' or 'unique', but more just like fitting nicely to the song and to its ("Exile") atmosphere, and probably giving us glimpses of that kind of melodic approach into lead guitar the Stones tracks haven't had for decades. Not any big deal an sich. But it is the 'anti-Taylorite' section here quickly telling us that it is "rather ordinary" and "nothing special" or whatever, like it is a big deal for them. They sound like making Taylor's contribution some kind of borderline case if this a great track or not. Oh god.

Okay, let the guitarist section of Rolling Stones fans to decide whatever they want from the base of the two guitar tracks "Plundered" has (if the the song is any good or not), but for me both Richards' wonderful contribution in the backing track and Taylor's over-dub - neither being anything spectacular or extra-ordinary an sich - contributes beautifully to make this song something to remember for. But there is also something else why this track is such remarkable (I won't go into detail, but I just mention something: Bill, Charlie, Nicky, the groove, Jagger's vocals and lyrics, the melody and timing he does,etc. etc.). The song, the result of all that, is a great one, and I salute anyone contributing into that.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-01 23:48 by Doxa.

Date: September 1, 2015 23:40

Great point Doxa. It has that Exile hazy euphoria. Musically and lyrically.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 1, 2015 23:59

I like your analysis Doxa. Actually that's pretty much how I feel on the MT issue. In my opinion there's good points made by both sides on the subject. Then again I'm both a Beatles and Stones Fan. My Stones friends call me a renegade, fortunately I don't have any Beatle Friends to re-enforce them, ha-ha.

Date: September 2, 2015 00:04

It's too late, Doxa. God knows I have tried to enjoy this track.

And there is no angst here - for you or any other Taylorite smiling smiley

The song sounds too artificial, constructed, edited and unnatural to me, which it also is if we look at how it was made.

Taylor does an ok job on it. Hailing him as the prodigal son or a messiah for the playing here is wrong, imo. That credit he earned on tour with the Stones in recent years.

Keith probably plays for 30 seconds on it originally, and the old Mick voice on top of it simply is too much. I like Bill's playing after the bridge and Charlie's sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 00:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:08

DandelionPowderman

The song sounds too artificial, constructed, edited and unnatural to me, which it also is if we look at how it was made.

Taylor does an ok job on it. Hailing him as the prodigal son or a messiah for the playing here is wrong, imo. That credit he earned on tour with the Stones in recent years.

Keith probably plays for 30 seconds on it originally, and the old Mick voice on top of it simply is too much. I like Bill's playing after the bridge and Charlie's sound.

The culprit is staring us all in the face: Mick Jagger!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:09

DandelionPowderman

A good song all in all NO? I like it a lot. I am 51 years of age. Maybe the age of the listener plays a role while listening Plundered My Soul (does this rhyme?).

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:20

RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman

A good song all in all NO? I like it a lot. I am 51 years of age. Maybe the age of the listener plays a role while listening Plundered My Soul (does this rhyme?).

I agree -the lyrics are perfect and mated and fits engagingly to the sound. Every song has a personal connection. I don't care who the musicians are what album it resides.

I like No I love this song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 03:04

Well put Doxa. I admit that I wasn't expecting much when I heard they were 'redoing' some demos left over. And that's why it was so special. I had let go of any illusions a long time ago about the stones doing something so great. And I don't think most of us expected it.
It was a true gift which is why I would be happy if it was the last.
It put a nice caop on the Stones' longevity. I think its that great.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 2, 2015 03:14

Rockman makes a great post to this subject in historical perspective once again.

Great Stuff! Many thanks! How one finds this information will not be questioned.

I'm happy others find this song Appreciative.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2015 06:45

What's great is it's an unedited leftover EXILE track. Not a demo, just a song unfinished. Jagger grabs Taylor, he lays some Taylor on it, voila.

Nothing great? Sure. But it's still great. Great to hear!

Date: September 2, 2015 07:26

Great Stuff! Many thanks! How one finds this information will not be questioned.

It's the Radio edit CD promo Chris ... took me ages and a lotta searching
to find a reasonably priced copy and it still took me arm and a leg .....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 07:30

Rockman

It's the Radio edit CD promo Chris ... took me ages and a lotta searching
to find a reasonably priced copy and it still took me arm and a leg .....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thank you for sharing .

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 2, 2015 07:58

DandelionPowderman

I hear you hear Dandie. I like absolutely everything about the track but Mick's "modern" vocals. It's the Mick voice I don't like. We know he has a few of them and obviously when he is trying to imitate his younger self this rather irritating one is the result.

Date: September 2, 2015 07:58

pleasure Turner ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 2, 2015 08:16

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, the "Tumbling Dice-groove" is nice. But it's not Tumbling Dice...

But then, what is Tumbling Dice that they released in the past decades?

The closest would perhaps be Let Me Down Slow, if we should compare musically?

I like that one better than PMS. I feel that many are trapped in the nostalgia bubble, and that having Taylor back with Jagger almost means more than the music itself.

Personally, I prefer the guitar playing on Let Me Down Slow.

While Let Me Down Slow is one of my favourite ABB tracks, I don't hear much similarities with Tumbling Dice, not musically, nor atmospherically, not in the groove, not in the general vibe...
...but that's not what I meant.
Tastes are of course different, but which tracks from the past decades could honestly stand up against Dice, Flash, Shelter and the like?

Date: September 2, 2015 08:46

alimente
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

I like that one better than PMS. I feel that many are trapped in the nostalgia bubble, and that having Taylor back with Jagger almost means more than the music itself.

While Let Me Down Slow is one of my favourite ABB tracks, I don't hear much similarities with Tumbling Dice, not musically, nor atmospherically, not in the groove, not in the general vibe...
Tastes are of course different, but which tracks from the past decades could honestly stand up against Dice, Flash, Shelter and the like?

Not many, if any. In greatness I'd say HCIS, but for other reasons.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 08:53

I like PMS, especially the chorus with the tip-toeing bass line. Jagger’s a little too high in the mix but deserves a few medals for his vocal efforts. Honestly, any Stones fan who doesn’t find healing in the groove here should have their Stones patch stripped from their denim jacket. But Mick should be stripped of one of the medals for the lyrics, which while sometimes funny & clever, have clearly been written by his post-90s persona (despite the Yellow Pages reference).

‘I hate quittin’,
But I’m close to admittin’
I’m a sorry case.
But on quiet reflection
My sad rejection’s
Not a total disgrace.’

Yuck. And it continues to get worse until he redeems himself with that chorus which is pure gold IMO. Seriously though, what happened to the guy we knew as Mick Jagger? The stupid underage girls he trifled with and the groupies and divorcees who used to populate his songs have been pushed aside to make way for his post-90s sad loser persona who seems to get dumped in the trash in every second song (songs like this and, say, Already Over Me, would never have been written by the young Mick).

Date: September 2, 2015 09:42

Swayed1967
I like PMS, especially the chorus with the tip-toeing bass line. Jagger’s a little too high in the mix but deserves a few medals for his vocal efforts. Honestly, any Stones fan who doesn’t find healing in the groove here should have their Stones patch stripped from their denim jacket. But Mick should be stripped of one of the medals for the lyrics, which while sometimes funny & clever, have clearly been written by his post-90s persona (despite the Yellow Pages reference).

‘I hate quittin’,
But I’m close to admittin’
I’m a sorry case.
But on quiet reflection
My sad rejection’s
Not a total disgrace.’

Yuck. And it continues to get worse until he redeems himself with that chorus which is pure gold IMO. Seriously though, what happened to the guy we knew as Mick Jagger? The stupid underage girls he trifled with and the groupies and divorcees who used to populate his songs have been pushed aside to make way for his post-90s sad loser persona who seems to get dumped in the trash in every second song (songs like this and, say, Already Over Me, would never have been written by the young Mick).

Well, there were some Lady Janes, As Tears Go Bys and I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 2, 2015 14:24

GasLightStreet
What's great is it's an unedited leftover EXILE track.

It's for sure that it's been edited.

Date: September 2, 2015 14:52

His Majesty
GasLightStreet
What's great is it's an unedited leftover EXILE track.

It's for sure that it's been edited.

We can hear the same Keith phrasing and strumming in several places on the track. It seems like the whole backing track was looped It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case with Charlie, Bill and Nicky as well.

It's ridiculous that Mick says that they didn't have to edit PMS smiling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 2, 2015 15:08

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Not many, if any. In greatness I'd say HCIS, but for other reasons.

HCIS???
When I played ABB a lot I pushed the skipbutton for Let Me Down Slow everytime to get to It Won't Take Long right after Rough Justice. That's a great two songs opening the Album. Let Me Down Slow......b-side quality.

Date: September 2, 2015 15:12

It Won't Take Long is nice... for about ten seconds, imo.

Let Me Down Slow is a well-crafted song, at least. Although it's both Aerosmith-ish and country/pop-esque. It was my choice of comparison because of the country/pop-aspect, which of course Tumbling Dice and PMS also have. Not many latter-day Stones songs in that cathegory, certainly not It Won't Take Long smiling smiley

In terms of quality, I think HCIS is the best song they've put out for decades. It's the ballad version of CYHMK for the 90s winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 15:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home