Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Move
Date: August 25, 2015 14:53

This band is not mentioned too often on IORR, how come? I like it!

What are your thoughts about this band?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: The Move
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 25, 2015 14:55

Had some nice hits and a good stage-show.I liked them . .

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 25, 2015 14:56

Holy crap , cant believe I actually clicked to listen.
Horrendous.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: August 25, 2015 16:45

"I can hear the grass grow" says it all.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 25, 2015 17:01

The Move were a terrific outfit from Birmingham and released a run of marvellous pop 45's during the 1966-69 period: Flowers In The Rain, Blackberry Way, Fire Brigade, etc. They had a great frontman in Carl Wayne and songwriter extraordinaire in the eccentric Roy Wood. He's quite the tasty guitarist and vocalist, too.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 25, 2015 17:29

Some of their stuff is really good. Some not so good. I wish there was more film of the 5-man line-up. Not too many bands had 4 good singers up front like that.
Personally i love I Can Hear The Grass Grow and Fire Brigade but they do veer into that treacly McCartney territory at times, File under poptastic.

Date: August 25, 2015 18:07

Wild Tiger Woman is probably my favourite of theirs. Great guitar-work from Wood on that one.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 25, 2015 18:20

California Man! Lots of my friends thought this was a Cheap trick song till I pointed them in the right direction.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:12

i was never moved by them

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:23

I forgot about Fire Brigade. Probably their best song.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:25

One of the best English bands to emerge out of psychedelia. Roy Wood is a musical genius. Their albums were patchy but they had an immense run of singles right through till 1972 when they called it a day and split to form the Electric Light Orchestra.

Love them very dearly. Wish I'd seen them play live.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 25, 2015 21:53

I'm only familiar with 'Blackberry Way.' Would love to hear their best album or a 'best of' collection all the way through.

I believe Roy Wood recruited a young Jeff Lynne for a new version of the Move, but that morphed into ELO and Roy Wood departing. Would've been interesting to see what would've happened with ELO had Roy Wood stayed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 21:54 by nightskyman.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 28, 2015 11:27

Dandelion Powderman, I'm so glad you posted this. I've loved The Move from the moment I heard them. I collected everything by them, plus, bootlegs (of course). For beginners, I would recommend a "best of" compilation, such as the vinyl-only "The Best of The Move". Listen to the signature licks, the melodies and the vocal harmonies. Watch the videos, especially "Colour Me Pop". See how Roy Wood plays that Fender 12-string and incorporates drone notes for an Indian-like sound. Then go to the "Live at The Fillmore" CD for some long instrumentals, with classical influences. Finally, go on YouTube and hear an amazing cover of The Beatles' "She's A Woman" from Düsseldorf 1970. Instead of seventh chords, The Move (with Jeff Lynne) play a catchy A minor pentatonic lick, that completely changes the "feel" of The Beatles' original. This same aesthetic - namely making a cover song one's own - The Stones put into their cover of "I Wanna Be Your Man".

Date: August 28, 2015 11:32

I only have this one on vinyl, but I have checked out all available stuff on Spotify and YouTube.

Date: August 28, 2015 12:39

After forming ELO, Roy Wood left to go on and found a group called Wizzard. They released a handful of some of the most catchy, infectious pop-hits you will ever likely hear. They're monstrous Christmas hit, I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday, is a holiday season staple in the U.K. to this very day.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 28, 2015 12:47

My first gig was Roy Wood's Wizard in 1973 at De Montford Hall Leicester UK. I was 14...3 years later I was seeing The Stones at Granby Hall Leicester :-) Happy days

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 28, 2015 13:47

Loved Blackberry Way. Great band largely forgotten.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2015 13:53

Like their singles up to and including Blackberry Way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 14:12 by His Majesty.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 28, 2015 14:10

I loved The Move ,Wizard and ELO way back then, and still love the music now. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home