Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New early 1960s demos unearthed - Record Collector article
Posted by: martinw ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:33

From an article in this month's Record Collector magazine: 6" reel-to-reel tape found with some previously unknown demos recorded at IBC Studios during early 1960s. Tracklist: Diddly Daddy; Roadrunner; Bright Lights, Big City; I Want To Be Loved; Baby, What's Wrong; As Tears Go By (1); Congratulations; No-One Loves You More Than Me; As Tears Go By (2).

The person who owns the tape says it came into his possession in 1967 when he shared a flat with 2 sound engineers from IBC studios. Obviously the first five are from the well-known IBC acetate, but apparently the 2 versions of As Tears Go By are completely different from the released version as they have the whole band playing (including Stu on keyboards), and No-One Loves You More Than Me seems to be previously unknown (I can't find any reference to it on Nico's site or in Martin Elliot's book).

I don't know how to put a scan of the article up here, but I've uploaded a scan of it onto We Transfer if anyone wants it - [we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 17:34 by martinw.

Re: New early 1960s demos unearthed - Record Collector article
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 17, 2015 18:14

The original songs must be from a later date. Here's the article. Thanks for posting it! smileys with beer

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 17, 2015 21:17

Thanks!

Early 1964 seems likely for those other tracks.
Will we ever get to hear them...?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 17, 2015 23:00

thumbs up

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 17, 2015 23:10

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 17, 2015 23:27

As they may be out of copyright (50 year rule), they could in theory be released?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 18, 2015 00:04

Cool! Thanks, MartinW and HM

Date: August 18, 2015 00:25

The earliest version known until now of As Tears Go By is titled As Time Goes By (bootleg only).
Could it be the version on this unearthed demo is not As Tears Go By but the already known early version of it titled As Time Goes By?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 18, 2015 00:50

One morning of 2015 :
"Mr Nellson this is Mick Jagger speaking..."

I'm sure MJ will buy this tape as he bought the 1962 reel (for a nifty sum iirc).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 00:58

RipThisBone
The earliest version known until now of As Tears Go By is titled As Time Goes By (bootleg only).
Could it be the version on this unearthed demo is not As Tears Go By but the already known early version of it titled As Time Goes By?

I thought this too, at first, but then the article says the song has the whole band playing including Stu on keyboards, where as Time only has Mick and guitar (Big Jim Sullivan?). I'm sure everyone now wants to hear this version!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2015 01:00

GOOD news .... It sure is a Stoney time this 2015 ain't it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:16

I am afraid that the tape will either be bought by Mick Jagger or some rich collector, who will prefer to sit on the tape rather than share it!

Thanks for wetting my appetite though, martinw!

Date: August 18, 2015 22:38

DGA35
RipThisBone

I thought this too, at first, but then the article says the song has the whole band playing including Stu on keyboards, where as Time only has Mick and guitar (Big Jim Sullivan?). I'm sure everyone now wants to hear this version!

This version is also very interesting because Andrew Loog Oldham was not involved with the Stones in march 1963, but a few months later.
So As Tears Go By existed before ALO..., but his name is between the brackets as songwriter from the official release.
I remember to read somewhere he changed TIME into TEARS and thus got a credit.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 22:45 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:16

RipThisBone

This version is also very interesting because Andrew Loog Oldham was not involved with the Stones in march 1963, but a few months later.
So As Tears Go By existed before ALO..., but his name is between the brackets as songwriter from the official release.
I remember to read somewhere he changed TIME into TEARS and thus got a credit.

In the article, the tape owner assumes the tape is all from March 1963 and makes the mistake of thinking that the stones never recorded at IBC after the March 1963 5 track demo session. Rather than re-write history, it makes more sense to accept that these other recordings are from a later session.

Additionally, it is perfectly feesible that the none March 1963 recordings are from another studio, like Regent Sound, but found their way to IBC through ALO or someone else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 00:26 by His Majesty.

Date: August 19, 2015 00:45

thumbs up Logic.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:40

More or less, the same info:
[www.examiner.com]

Early Rolling Stones tape from 1963 with unreleased songs uncovered
August 22, 2015

A 1963 tape featuring unreleased songs by Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones has been revealed in a British magazine.
The Sept. 2015 issue of the British Classic Rock magazine, the current issue in the UK but just arriving Stateside, features some big news about the discovery of a tape with previously unreleased Rolling Stones songs from 1963. According to the source of the information, a reader of the magazine who says he has possession of the tape, it dates from March 11, 1963, the Stones' only recording session at IBC Studios.

The track list is “Diddley Daddy,” “Roadrunner,” “Bright Lights, Big City,” “I Want To Be Loved,” “Baby's What's Wrong,” “As Tears Go By,” “Congratulations” and “No One Loves You More Than Me,” plus a second take of “As Tears Go By” because of an apparent mistake on the earlier version. Collectors will recognize the first five tracks as having appeared on numerous bootlegs such as “Bright Lights Big City.”

The four tracks starting with “As Tears Go By,” especially “No One Loves You More Than Me,” have not apparently appeared anywhere before. The reader also notes that both takes of “As Tears Go By” are different than the record as they have the band playing on it without strings, which the Stones' and Marianne Faithful's versions both did. It remains to be seen if the Stones would be interested in releasing these tracks.

But another unreleased Stones tape may have a better chance of getting into fans' hands, however. The Stones' 1990 Tokyo Vault concert is shown on Amazon.co.uk as being the next release in the ongoing “From the Vault” series. It hasn't, however been announced yet in the U.S. According to the listing, it will be out in the UK on Oct. 30.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 14:12

There were no songs written at Edith Grove - or before ALO arrived. It had never occurred to them to 'write songs'.. There was nothing other than the knwon tracks recorded at IPC.

This is surely well documented.

Phelge

[bit.ly]

new lost recordings,examiner.com
Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: October 29, 2015 13:56

But the other songs are a mystery. The unreleased track 8, “No One Loves You More Than Me” is an upbeat song with a great vocal by Jagger. And the second version of “As Tears Go By,” track 9, which features Jagger singing backed by the Stones and without orchestra backing of any kind, was not even known to exist and has never been documented. According to Nielsen, the archivist confirmed that the three other tracks are different versions to those released. As to precisely where these song tracks were recorded, the archivist told him he can make a good guess but actually does not know.IBC recording session, because they “show a much 'broader' sound pattern on a spectrum analyser and therefore could not have been recorded on the same recording equipment.” But, he says, this does not mean they were not recorded at IBC at a later date, because IBC were upgrading their equipment continually.

“It is most likely they were done prior to Marianne Faithful's 'As Tears Go By' release and the official recording of 'Congratulations' on the 12th May '64.” It also is a possibility, he said, that the outtake version of “As Tears Go By” may be an orphan track. But, Neilsen said, “the tape as a whole is really only a collectors dream come true.”

Re: new lost recordings,examiner.com
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 29, 2015 14:17

[www.examiner.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home