Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
ALBUM TALK: It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Date: August 14, 2015 10:32

IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL

Recorded:

December 6-13, 1972: Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica
November 13-24, 1973: Musicland Studios, Munich, West Germany
December 4-6, 1973: Ron Wood's home studio (The Wick), Richmond, Surrey, England
January 14-28, 1974: Musicland Studios, Munich, West Germany
February 20-March 3, 1974: Musicland Studios, Munich, West Germany

Overdubbed and mixed:

January 10, 1974: CBS Studios, London, England
April 10-15, 1974: Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, Mick Jagger's home (Stargroves), Newbury, England
May 20-25, 1974: Island Studios, London, England
August 18, 1974: studio, London, England

Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineers: Keith Harwood, Andy Johns & Glyn Johns
Mixer: Keith Harwood
Released: October 1974
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Ray Cooper, Kenney Jones, Charlie Jolly Kunjappu, Willie Weeks, Blue Magic, Ron Wood, Ed Leach.

If You Can't Rock Me
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Till the Next Goodbye
Time Waits for No One
Luxury
Dance Little Sister
If You Really Want to Be My Friend
Short and Curlies
Fingerprint File

What are your thoughts on this album?

Re: ALBUM TALK: It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 10:53

First time I played it was with a friend. He liked Led Zeppelin. His comments "where are their loud songs?"

Never liked it much as a record myself, not because it wasn't loud. It tried to be, and I do LOVE the title track.

Dance Little Sister....too much ssssssss all the time Dancccce Little SSSSissster, Dancce little SSSissster... too much ssssssss.

Short and Curlies, Luxury and Fingerprint File pure filler.

If you Can't Rock me ok, but as an album opener? Nah....Ain't too Proud to Beg not a patch on original....Next Goodbye and Time Waits for No One, production wise, just don't even sound like the same sessions. NICE tracks, but sterile, thin sound.

Not an album I can play all the way thru.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 14, 2015 11:05

My thoughts is that it is a pretty descent album with IORR as it's top-number....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 14, 2015 11:09

IORR and TWFNO are the only great tracks IMO. I like Luxury as well though. Take the best tracks from Goat's Head Soup and this album and you would get one really good album.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 14, 2015 11:20

Besides the title track it is a very weak album, their worst album of the 70's by far.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 11:33

Let me just state the obvious. This album, while shamefully mediocre, is better than Dirty Work and everything that came after that. So I kinda like it yes I do.

Time Waits for No One, If You Really Wanna Be My Friend and Fingerprint File are interesting enough that I make a point of listening to them once in a while. Till the Next Goodbye and Dance Little Sister are derivative Stones by numbers tracks but I like them. The rest including the title track can get off of my iCloud.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 14, 2015 14:05

One need only listen to Goats Head Soup and then this album to understand why Mick Taylor left The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 14:06 by His Majesty.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:17

I dig this album. I listen to it pretty often.

I think I listen to side 2 the more, but what on opening track! It just grabs you.

I can't describe it too well, but this album has always had a "thin" sound to it. I dunno? Still love it though.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:54

Really underrated by far. Mick Taylor's legacy. His guitar is dominant on almost all tracks. Also the first successful steps of Ronnie (IORR). Particularly after Time Waits for No One the band had the option to perform with a hue of virtuosity in future both in studio and live or to be on the safe side as they used to. This option was obsolete when MT quitted, unless they would have engaged another virtuoso like Wayne Perkins e.g.

The songs are all over diversified and and partly melodious, in my opinion IORR is under the five best albums of the band and one of the best RnB-albums of the decade at least. After the downfall from Exile to GHS IORR is another highlight. Never it is getting old when I lend an ear to it.

Date: August 14, 2015 16:11

His Majesty
One need only listen to Goats Head Soup and then this album to understand why Mick Taylor left The Rolling Stones.

Some of the tracks on those albums were the ones he was most proud of...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:14

I love the record from the time it was released. I listen to it quite often and still get a good kick out of those songs. I like the fact that the songs are more commercial and the themes of the songs are generally less tragic and dark than with the previous albums ( BB,Let it bleed,sticky, Exile). I like when the stones try something new, even if it isn't a radical departure ; the glam period was short lived and the stones embrace it well.
The riff of "Dance little sister Dance" is hypnotic and one of Keith's favorite of mine.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: August 14, 2015 16:15

RobertJohnson
Really underrated by far. Mick Taylor's legacy. His guitar is dominant on almost all tracks. Also the first successful steps of Ronnie (IORR). Particularly after Time Waits for No One the band had the option to perform with a hue of virtuosity in future both in studio and live or to be on the safe side as they used to. This option was obsolete when MT quitted, unless they would have engaged another virtuoso like Wayne Perkins e.g.

The songs are all over diversified and and partly melodious, in my opinion IORR is under the five best albums of the band and one of the best RnB-albums of the decade at least. After the downfall from Exile to GHS IORR is another highlight. Never it is getting old when I lend an ear to it.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Fingerprint File
Luxury
Short And Curlies

That's half of the album where Taylor doesn't play guitar or is buried in the mix (SAC).

Some of the best songs as well, imo.

That said, he does a great, great job on the other half, albeit without saving the album, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 16:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:29

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Fingerprint File
Luxury
Short And Curlies

That's half of the album where Taylor doesn't play guitar or is buried in the mix (SAC).

That said, he does a great, great job on the other half, albeit without saving the album, imo.

That list contains the worst songs imo, except Fingerprint File, and Short & Curlies has a nice swing and piano/guitar (intro by Taylor, the rest by Richards).

To me Iorr is a big step backwards after GHS, which I love, but it still is the best of the following rest for me, having songs on it like Time Waits FNO, Fingerprint File and Dance LS. The ballads Till The Next Goodbye and If You Really Want To Be My Friend are mediocre to my taste. Clearly below the quality of songs like Winter and Coming Down Again. If You Can't Rock Me starts great, but soon the exciting lead vanishes. Too much simplistic 'rock'guitar licks by Keith.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:31

Taylor's bass on Fingerprint File is great ideed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 16:32 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:34

I've always liked this album though it's certainly not as good as their previous five. The only real dud, for me, is IYRWTBMF

Date: August 14, 2015 16:47

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Fingerprint File
Luxury
Short And Curlies

This job seems to me so great that IORR is a prolific Taylor-Album (for me) ...

And I won't miss only one of the other tracks you specified.

Date: August 14, 2015 16:50

LuxuryStones

Which brings up a question: is there any more bass based song in the Stones catalogue than this one?

Date: August 14, 2015 16:53

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Which brings up a question: is there any more bass based song in the Stones catalogue than this one?

BW's jumping bass on It's All Over Now.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:54

DandelionPowderman

Some of the tracks on those albums were the ones he was most proud of...

He should be proud of all he played on, but GHS shows moves towards new directions which then appear to have been abandoned by IORR.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:55

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

What do you mean, Taylor playing bass on Stones songs? Torn and Frayed and probably a few others. I have to look it up.

Date: August 14, 2015 17:02

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

ER with Wood on bass. Miss You with Bill, of course..

Date: August 14, 2015 17:06

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Fingerprint File
Luxury
Short And Curlies

That list contains the worst songs imo, except Fingerprint File, and Short & Curlies has a nice swing and piano/guitar (intro by Taylor, the rest by Richards).

To me Iorr is a big step backwards after GHS, which I love, but it still is the best of the following rest for me, having songs on it like Time Waits FNO, Fingerprint File and Dance LS. The ballads Till The Next Goodbye and If You Really Want To Be My Friend are mediocre to my taste. Clearly below the quality of songs like Winter and Coming Down Again. If You Can't Rock Me starts great, but soon the exciting lead vanishes. Too much simplistic 'rock'guitar licks by Keith.

Each to their own. I love the four first songs of these, although the sound of the album can be described as music made in a barn full of cotton. The mix is horrendous! For some reason FF sounds great, and Taylor's bass playing is ace indeed.

Date: August 14, 2015 17:13

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
LuxuryStones

ER with Wood on bass. Miss You with Bill, of course..

Ah, okay, I don't recall those songs so well after having listened to them a couple of times years ago.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 14, 2015 17:40

More Keith involvement makes it better than GHS IMO. The rock songs rock!!

Short and Curlies is embarrassing for a Stones song. Maybe if they made it a country song it may have worked being more tongue and cheek.

Till The Next Goodbye deserves to be played live in the ballad slot.

Luxury could be more reggaefied but it's their first attempt. I like it nonetheless.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 17:55

This album is a chilling indictment against the effects of heroin usage on the band's guitarists and main songwriter.

I don't like it at all.

However, we should remember that 1974 (and the subsequent years leading up to the advent of punk and new wave) were awful ones for Rock-n-Roll. The Stones weren't the only ones suffering from malaise and mediocrity.

Indeed, IORR finished #2 in the NME critic's poll for best album:

Pretzel Logic – Steely Dan
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll – Rolling Stones
Before the Flood – Bob Dylan
461 Ocean Boulevard – Eric Clapton
Todd – Todd Rundgren
On The Beach – Neil Young
Rock Bottom – Robert Wyatt
Fulfillingness First Finale – Stevie Wonder
Country Life – Roxy Music
AWB – Average White Band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 17:55 by Turner68.

Date: August 14, 2015 18:40

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Fingerprint File
Luxury
Short And Curlies

Each to their own. I love the four first songs of these, although the sound of the album can be described as music made in a barn full of cotton. The mix is horrendous! For some reason FF sounds great, and Taylor's bass playing is ace indeed.

Yes, it deserves an extended version treatment with a decisive improvement of the sound quality.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2015 18:50

DandelionPowderman

Hey that could be a good thing if the cotton was well placed, lmfao at that visual. grinning smiley I do agree the sound of this one needs a bit of work.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:01

The speed corrected, slower version of FF is about the most funky, badass song they've ever done.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:01

A great album with a lot of variety, and two epic stones jams, Time Waits for No One and Fingerprint File. Great album with a funk/rock feel to it. The only song that doesn't do much for me is Luxury.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:13

bitusa2012
First time I played it was with a friend. He liked Led Zeppelin. His comments "where are their loud songs?"

Never liked it much as a record myself, not because it wasn't loud. It tried to be, and I do LOVE the title track.

Dance Little Sister....too much ssssssss all the time Dancccce Little SSSSissster, Dancce little SSSissster... too much ssssssss.

Short and Curlies, Luxury and Fingerprint File pure filler.

If you Can't Rock me ok, but as an album opener? Nah....Ain't too Proud to Beg not a patch on original....Next Goodbye and Time Waits for No One, production wise, just don't even sound like the same sessions. NICE tracks, but sterile, thin sound.

Not an album I can play all the way thru.

One of their best. Top 10

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home