Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Vinyl rules, just bought a turntable
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 7, 2015 01:38

I just added a vintage Magnavox Astrosonic console stereo to my other two turntables. It belonged to my grandparents and they bought it, from what I can tell, around 1969. They took excellent care of it. It still sounds and plays like it was brand new. I remember visiting them and going to the local record stores with my uncle and coming back to play my new album(s). A ton of sentimental value I must say!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-07 02:03 by shadooby.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 7, 2015 01:52

just played all of Black and Blue and thought it sounded great.

Date: August 7, 2015 02:09

quick question for you folks. I lost my old Atlantic records Exile. If I buy the new version they put out in 2010 does it still have more dynamic range than the cd?

I plan on going around to used record stores but it will probably be difficult to find a very good copy of the Atlantic. If the new vinyl pressing in 2010 just sounds like the reissued CD, I will just stick to the Virgin Release.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 7, 2015 09:34

Bashlets
quick question for you folks. I lost my old Atlantic records Exile. If I buy the new version they put out in 2010 does it still have more dynamic range than the cd?

I plan on going around to used record stores but it will probably be difficult to find a very good copy of the Atlantic. If the new vinyl pressing in 2010 just sounds like the reissued CD, I will just stick to the Virgin Release.

Have you checked out if you can get it on amazon?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 7, 2015 11:52

But when it comes to 180 gr vinyls I say NO! CDs sounds better and is easier to handle...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 7, 2015 12:44

Bashlets

The overwhelming consesus on this forum was that the 2010 'Exile' vinyl is no good.

I would look for the original vinyl release.

For 'Exile' , the best releases are :

* SA-CD (2011 release)

* Original Vinyl

* Virgin CD

* 2010 Bonus Disc only .

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2015 14:09

I wish they'd released the SG bonus disc on vinyl I love it as a stand alone album.
It's the most played CD I've ever owned ;^).

[ CD for me has always felt more like a form of auditory torture than a playback medium for music]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 7, 2015 14:26

Get out your 45s...Get Off Of My Cloud from the original mono Decca single is one of the greatest things ever. In fact having indulged on a recent playathon spinning all my 1960s demo discs i'm totally in love with singles again. Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Who,Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, The Shadows etc.. all sound outstanding and really exciting. It's a big shame that singles just became a plug for an album and not stand alone releases...those singles runs by the above mentioned bands are unbelievably good.
Love my Project audio turntable.
Vinyl is fabulous and most of the music we chat about here was made for vinyl. Much as i've grown accustomed to cd (esp with all the bonus cuts) it still feels like a storage medium with teeny tiny artwork.

Date: August 7, 2015 15:20

Thanks folks. I have the Japan SACD/SHM Exile and even bought the blu ray audio too.
I checked Amazon, and ebay but nothing for the Atlantic version. Another question, if i can find the box set of the 60's albums they put out in 2010, a lot of them are in mono and the reviews i read somewhere on line were good. anyone here have any input. greatly appreciated. Im like a kid again. Sneaking out of work during the day trying to re-build my stones collection. Like an idiot, when I was 20 I got all the cds because i probably went through 20 vinyl copies of Some Girls alone by the time I finished college and then gave a lot of them away. I will not make that mistake again now that im in my early 50's.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2015 15:45

Bashlets
Thanks folks. I have the Japan SACD/SHM Exile and even bought the blu ray audio too.
I checked Amazon, and ebay but nothing for the Atlantic version. Another question, if i can find the box set of the 60's albums they put out in 2010, a lot of them are in mono and the reviews i read somewhere on line were good. anyone here have any input. greatly appreciated. Im like a kid again. Sneaking out of work during the day trying to re-build my stones collection. Like an idiot, when I was 20 I got all the cds because i probably went through 20 vinyl copies of Some Girls alone by the time I finished college and then gave a lot of them away. I will not make that mistake again now that im in my early 50's.

If you can find them, can you afford them?!...they've spiked unbelievably in price. I was lucky to have bought when they were first released and the sound is quite remarkable.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 7, 2015 17:09

All good except in reality CDs sound much better then vinyl. Personally I don't know why anyone would still listen to vinyl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-07 18:52 by stanlove.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 7, 2015 18:38

Because the full sound spectrum of an analog recording is not captured in the transfer to a digital medium.

If the original recordings were made using digital recording, it makes no difference, and you are just as well off with the less degradeable cd format. However, if the source recordings were done on analog equipment, vinyl, or even better, magnetic tape, is the only way to hear the full sonic spectrum.

Ian Mackaye of Minor Threat/Fugazi fame and the founder of keepers of the vinyl torch Dischord records, describes it as similar to the difference between the imagery captured in a Polaroid snapshot versus a more advanced camera that gives you the depth of image in the documentary film "I Need That Record".

Audiophiles will tell you that the Reel-to-Reel tape is actually the medium that "rules", although it is really hard to find them anymore.

Cassette tapes are enjoying a resurgence in interest here in the U.S. partly due to their sonic properties. They also provide analog sound.

A good example, and one you can easily do a listening test on if you need convincing, is Neil Young's early 90's catalog. On cd, those albums (e.g. Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, Mirrorball) are readily available on the used market. On vinyl, however, they are quite scarce, and pricey collector's items on the used market. The cassettes, however, are available for a tenth of what the vinyl records cost.

Neil was among the first Rock artists to record in digital sound, with his Trans album from 1982, but he decided the sound was inferior, and went back to analog recording for all his subsequent albums.

Go find a copy of Harvest Moon on cassette and play it against a cd copy and the sonic difference will blow you away. The analog recordings depth and richness is captured in the analog medium. If you can't hear it, you are daft, and need to get your hearing checked.

Btw, if you own vinyl copies of those albums I listed, I am terribly envious!

Date: August 7, 2015 21:24

Stanlove, Just listened to Beggars on vinyl and it blows the CD away. Rich and warm sounding, crackles and all.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 7, 2015 23:26

Stones on vinyl is absolutely the best! Black and Blue is a great example, no other format can get that sound.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 8, 2015 00:43

I still have my early 70's Thorens TD 165 turntable and pioneer amplifier locked up in my basement for 20 years or so confused smiley one of my kids moved out so I will use his room to install my equipment and enjoy the music as it was intended grinning smiley And feel the same thing Bashlets mentioned ...and I my first turn will be sticky and bleed and beggars and exile......................

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 8, 2015 02:38

Yup a lot of vinyl sounds much better than CDs. Not all, but a lot. I would say all the Mobile Fidelity ones have bought sound better. Especially, the 45 rmp series. Blonde on Blonde and Desire are revelatory! And I don't understand the comment about 180 gram vinyl. They sound great! In fact CCR releases a box set of all their albums in 200 gram. Stunning sound!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-08 03:12 by whitem8.

Date: August 8, 2015 03:55

Hound Dog
Stones on vinyl is absolutely the best! Black and Blue is a great example, no other format can get that sound.

You are inspiring me to pull out mine to play! Thanks!

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: August 8, 2015 06:33

2014Slayer
shattered
I still have a Sony PS-350 and it

I have a red vinyl Stones release for radio stations. Side 1 is Cops and Robbers, and Side 2 is Memphis, Roll Over Beethoven, and Fanny Mae. I thought maybe it was a cut-out, but after digging it out, it isn't. I think it might be from 1963. Very cool though!

Cool LP. I have it in blue. It's a bootleg from the late 70s. Not a promo or radio station copy

But enjoyable

Date: August 8, 2015 08:52

deardoctortake1
2014Slayer
shattered

I have a red vinyl Stones release for radio stations. Side 1 is Cops and Robbers, and Side 2 is Memphis, Roll Over Beethoven, and Fanny Mae. I thought maybe it was a cut-out, but after digging it out, it isn't. I think it might be from 1963. Very cool though!

Cool LP. I have it in blue. It's a bootleg from the late 70s. Not a promo or radio station copy

But enjoyable

No my sleeve for it says:

Special radio station advance promotional record!
Please destroy upon receipt of the BBC documentary "The Rolling Stones Story" to be broadcast on this station.

The record has a date of 1973 on it.

Interestingly there is a scratched etching of STPRO 101A and B ON SIDE 2. So does this mean it is a bootleg? It seems so authentic. The record has the logo on it and everything. There is nothing on the sleeve or record label to indicate that it is not original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-08 09:02 by 2014Slayer.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 8, 2015 08:53

Someone has to remember this: Is there a shelf life on the D4, SC-2, or CDL2 cleaning fluids from Discwasher? The D4 and CDL2 was for vinyl and the SC-2 was for the stylus and the instructions sed never put the SC-2 on vinyl.

Date: August 8, 2015 15:48

I would say there is a shelf life, as the chemicals could break down... I wouldn't risk it.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 8, 2015 17:13

Spud
I wish they'd released the SG bonus disc on vinyl I love it as a stand alone album.
It's the most played CD I've ever owned ;^).

[ CD for me has always felt more like a form of auditory torture than a playback medium for music]

The bootleggers took care of that.
[www.discogs.com]

Date: August 8, 2015 18:46

Javadave,thank you for your write up. So basically any stones album post Dirty Work was recorded digitally to the best of my knowledge and if that's the case one should just stick to the CDs.

Date: August 8, 2015 19:42

whitem8
I would say there is a shelf life, as the chemicals could break down... I wouldn't risk it.

So is there a formula for making a disc washer formula? Or just distilled water?

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: August 8, 2015 21:20

2014Slayer
deardoctortake1
2014Slayer
shattered

But enjoyable

No my sleeve for it says:

Special radio station advance promotional record!
Please destroy upon receipt of the BBC documentary "The Rolling Stones Story" to be broadcast on this station.

The record has a date of 1973 on it.

Interestingly there is a scratched etching of STPRO 101A and B ON SIDE 2. So does this mean it is a bootleg? It seems so authentic. The record has the logo on it and everything. There is nothing on the sleeve or record label to indicate that it is not original.

Yes they all say that, bootleggers are very creative, it's a bootleg.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: August 8, 2015 23:31

I case some of you don't know this site: (I haven't read the entire thread either)

www.discogs.com

It's sortof like an imdb but for music.
Plus it has a buy/sell market.

Absolute heaven for vinyl/cd, hell, all music collectors.

-TomR

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 9, 2015 00:32

2014Slayer
whitem8

So is there a formula for making a disc washer formula? Or just distilled water?

50% isopropyl alcohol / 50% distilled water. It's what's in my D3 that I've had for years. Not sure where I found that recipe, but I made note of it back when.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-09 00:36 by shadooby.

Date: August 9, 2015 00:59

shadooby
2014Slayer
whitem8

50% isopropyl alcohol / 50% distilled water. It's what's in my D3 that I've had for years. Not sure where I found that recipe, but I made note of it back when.

Great, thanks Shadooby!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2015 01:45

whitem8

but if you were, start with Mick's mid-late eighties solo stuff?

Date: August 9, 2015 01:55

This is a crazy, but very intriguing method of deep cleaning vinyl! Crazy!

I have a vacuum plater that works very well. Made in China, it basically is a turntable with a vacuum. You use solution, and then lower the vacuum and it really cleans well.

The thing that gets annoying, especially in winter, is static electricity. I have tried those guns, when I was younger, and they didn't seem to do much. I have a new plater made from leather that boasts that if prevents static electricity. We shall see.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home