Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Complete Loyalty to the Stones
Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:50

Apologies, Mick. An incessant guitar figure is only the ballast for words that anyone on the street can remember and repeat.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:05

Johnny Rotten/Lydon in his new memoir ANGER IS AN ENERGY:

"Me and Peter [Tosh] were having a disagreement, anyway—it might've been been to do with the Rolling Stones actually! Listen, we're all capable of getting up on our high horses, and sometimes those horses are a little TOO high. Peter was working with them and I was having my say on that.

"I've always known, though, that Keith Richards loves his reggae. He's always been well rooted in it. Musically that's an educated fella. I've never met him. We probably wouldn't get on...It's a good mark...of valuing stars, when I find out they're like librarians in their approach, that they want to know everything about anyone who works in the same field. That's how it should be.

"So, good on Keith for liking reggae. I mean: in between yearly blood transfusions, why not?"

Keith obviously broadened his listening beyond Chuck Berry.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:20

Title5Take1
Johnny Rotten/Lydon in his new memoir ANGER IS AN ENERGY:

"Me and Peter [Tosh] were having a disagreement, anyway—it might've been been to do with the Rolling Stones actually! Listen, we're all capable of getting up on our high horses, and sometimes those horses are a little TOO high. Peter was working with them and I was having my say on that.

"I've always known, though, that Keith Richards loves his reggae. He's always been well rooted in it. Musically that's an educated fella. I've never met him. We probably wouldn't get on...It's a good mark...of valuing stars, when I find out they're like librarians in their approach, that they want to know everything about anyone who works in the same field. That's how it should be.

"So, good on Keith for liking reggae. I mean: in between yearly blood transfusions, why not?"

Keith obviously broadened his listening beyond Chuck Berry.

Johnny sounds like an idiot though.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:38

stones2000
Thanks so much everyone for all the insight and wisdom. I really appreciated hearing all your views on this.

Here's something easy to get into: look at who the Stones loved when they were coming up and who they still love and then people/bands that span out from them. Go get that music. Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf, Mississippi John Hurt, Jimmy Reed, Little Walter, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Elvis...

... which may lead you to RL Burnside, Jerry Reed - the country dude that is hilarious, Willie Nelson, Doc Watson, Fred McDowell, Jelly Roll Morton, Canonball Adderley, Duke Ellington, Jerry Lee Louis, The Neville Brothers, Zachary Richard, AC/DC, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Hank3... and it just keeps going.

That's part of my music collection. When I was young, I read those names and bought what I could.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:40

riffcliche69
My "complete loyalty to The Stones" consists of continuing (however feebly), their aesthetic of great songwriting. Number one is "the hook" - that great, compelling lick. The kind of note combination that cuts through all the incessant , bloody rubbish that we're reluctantly obliged to daily endure. A riff that, when one analyzes it, appears simple, but within a two-and-half/three minute "pop" enclosure (along with "direct" lyrics) guarantees that before the song ends, we've already decided to lift the needle and play the 45 again. A few guitar tones, strategically placed, along with an easy-to-digest vocal "story line". Now, that's "Satisfaction"!

Amen to that brother riffcliche69

Date: August 3, 2015 00:41

John Mooney... Bonnie Raitt. Dr John.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 3, 2015 01:07

I think all this asking a young Stones fan to go back to the Stones influences is a bit over the top. It's projecting your own musical experience on to someone else. It's fine if your musical journey starts with the Stones and moves forward from there. Plenty of great music created since the Stones for a young person to explore and finding the source is admirable but hardly necessary. It's definitely an individual thing and moving backward a couple generation in time isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I personally love the music of my generation better than that of my parents or grandparents, by a long shot.

As far as loyalty to the Stones goes, it's hard to understand what that even means. If someone only listens to the Stones it seems to me they are probably a bit unwell and likely have bigger issues than music appreciation in their life. It's like someone only eating hamburgers because it's their favorite food. Possibly some OCD going on there. Of course people should listen to as much different music as they can, especially if they are young and impressionable. There is a lot more out there to love besides the Stones. If you find yourself drawn back to the Stones, great but it is unlikely you will have avoided finding plenty of other stuff which also gives you great pleasure hearing. Am I disloyal because I prefer to hear another artist or don't listen to the Stones for a long while, of course not. But I do believe for many of my generation, they are indeed at the hub of the wheel, and almost all musical paths lead back to them eventually. smoking smiley

Date: August 3, 2015 01:10

I didn't tell him to do it, I just said it's easy to do. And certainly worth while.

Date: August 3, 2015 01:11

Naturalust
I think all this asking a young Stones fan to go back to the Stones influences is a bit over the top. It's projecting your own musical experience on to someone else. It's fine if your musical journey starts with the Stones and moves forward from there. Plenty of great music created since the Stones for a young person to explore and finding the source is admirable but hardly necessary. It's definitely an individual thing and moving backward a couple generation in time isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I personally love the music of my generation better than that of my parents or grandparents, by a long shot.

As far as loyalty to the Stones goes, it's hard to understand what that even means. If someone only listens to the Stones it seems to me they are probably a bit unwell and likely have bigger issues than music appreciation in their life. It's like someone only eating hamburgers because it's their favorite food. Possibly some OCD going on there. Of course people should listen to as much different music as they can, especially if they are young and impressionable. There is a lot more out there to love besides the Stones. If you find yourself drawn back to the Stones, great but it is unlikely you will have avoided finding plenty of other stuff which also gives you great pleasure hearing. Am I disloyal because I prefer to hear another artist or don't listen to the Stones for a long while, of course not. But I do believe for many of my generation, they are indeed at the hub of the wheel, and almost all musical paths lead back to them eventually. smoking smiley

i agree. it's obvious to me the original post is a joke.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 01:32

Turner68
Naturalust

No, it wasn't a joke. I do apparently have OCD tendencies, but I don't think that's necessarily playing into it. I have always wondered about what other people think about listening to nothing but the Stones. Because, up until about a week ago, since that's what I've been doing (ever since I got into the Stones about a year ago)

Date: August 3, 2015 01:36

stones2000
Turner68
Naturalust

No, it wasn't a joke. I do apparently have OCD tendencies, but I don't think that's necessarily playing into it. I have always wondered about what other people think about listening to nothing but the Stones. Because, up until about a week ago, since that's what I've been doing (ever since I got into the Stones about a year ago)

ah, well, if it wasn't a joke, then i withdraw my defense of you, and join those who counseled you against being too closed minded.

too much of anything is never a good thing. open your mind up, and when you find yourself returning to the stones, you'll find that you enjoy and discover new things about them and appreciate them in new ways precisely because you didn't solely listen to them.

Date: August 3, 2015 02:19

stones2000
Turner68
Naturalust

I was all only about the Stones for a couple of years in my almost late teens. Then one day, after DIRTY WORK came out perhaps, I understood I was missing out.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 02:20

Huge stone fan here but I can't go 2 days with out some dylan,or Niel young or many other great artists a lot of good music out there. Just was listening to Clapton great stuff!

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 02:38

When I listen to early African-American music, and the way it is presented, both lyrically and melodically, I often wonder, did they conceive their composition as an immediate expression, or as a "living indictment" of their condition? If I were a young person researching the antecedents of British blues, I would pay attention to the groups that genuinely reflect that.

Date: August 3, 2015 02:41

riffcliche69
When I listen to early African-American music, and the way it is presented, both lyrically and melodically, I often wonder, did they conceive their composition as an immediate expression, or as a "living indictment" of their condition? If I were a young person researching the antecedents of British blues, I would pay attention to the groups that genuinely reflect that.

only if you listen to james brown when you're done ;-)

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 3, 2015 04:10

If you aren't really interested in music, then listen to only the Stones. If you care about music, then listen to some of the artists suggested in this thread, or listen to more recent artists that play in the blues/rock mode. Or, better yet, see them live.

Jack White or the Black Keys might be a good start.

Date: August 3, 2015 04:15

Another important musician regarding blues/black music - Willie Dixon.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 3, 2015 04:16

drbryant
If you aren't really interested in music, then listen to only the Stones. If you care about music, then listen to some of the artists suggested in this thread, or listen to more recent artists that play in the blues/rock mode. Or, better yet, see them live.

Jack White or the Black Keys might be a good start.

thumbs up

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 3, 2015 04:27

latebloomer
Stones2000 at your young age, you should listen to all kinds of music, and a good place to start would be with the music that influenced the Stones. From the old bluesman, like Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, to Buddy Holly to Chuck Berry. Explore soul and reggae and even classical, Keith says he listens to it every morning. Mick and Ronnie like to keep up on what's new, and Charlie is a jazz guy to his core. So, there's lots of music to listen to, all of it Stones approved. smiling smiley

Great advice!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 3, 2015 05:14

YES to Late Bloomer and Steffalicia's advice!

AND, this is the music that influenced Keith and Mick when they were your age!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 3, 2015 05:30

bathsheba
Dear dear Stones2000

You should NOT feel bad! God,no-one can be lukewarm about them, can they? It's a passion, a riot in the heart! There might be a long period when you listen to no-one else and have some tracks/albums on repeatedly and you revel in the gorgeousness of it.

It's because you have fallen in love. The infatuation phase might lead to a less intense phase. You might go off on an off-shoot and start experimenting with other musicians and liking those does not mean you've committed fan adultery. The incomparable Stones will still be there for you when you need a little coke and sympathy....

Nice romantic post. Love and infatuation, then perhaps less intense, but not "fan adultery," priceless, bathsheba!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: August 3, 2015 05:52

I am torn between Bowie and the Stones . My daughter say I cheat on each of them...
I think bands are like sports teams- I don't follow sports, but I do follow/learn from/enjoy only certain artists so I do feel a loyalty of sorts.

I also have a hard time remaining interested in a band when I dislike them personally- thank God for Charlie- he redeems them all! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 05:53 by Librarian.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: August 3, 2015 07:19

My current goal with my music collection is to rid myself of all my CDs, 7" Singles & 12" Singles of anything that is not The Rolling Stones (or Solo or has an RS on it). All LP's and Cassettes have already gone, and the others are slowly shrinking.
Yes I "like" other music, but I can get my fix via the radio if need be. Basically I need the cash to buy more RS stuff, and I need the space to house all these new RS purchases, so only the RS will remain in my collection ultimately.

I don't have a second fav band. I haven't bought a non-Stones related album this century (and don't download music) and wont be doing so.

Boring - yes, Idiot - probably. Happy - Hell yes - Long Live The Rolling Stones!!

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Date: August 3, 2015 08:01

stonesrule
YES to Late Bloomer and Steffalicia's advice!

AND, this is the music that influenced Keith and Mick when they were your age!

do you think some james brown would be warranted as well?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 3, 2015 10:11

stones2000
I was hoping some (or all) of you could chime in with your opinion on this subject- basically, I'm wondering what "Complete Loyalty to the Stones" means to you? Does it mean never listening to another artist, or is it ok as long as the Stones are always your favourite? I've been struggling with this recently. The Stones will always be my absolute favorite, but should I feel disloyal for listening to another band? Someone told me that broadening my musical taste might help me to appreciate the Stones that much more, and I think there's a degree of wisdom in that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions or wisdom you might have. Thanks

Thank God there are all varieties of music, and it is an immeasurable adventure to discover as much as you can. YouTube is great because it gives you the opportunity of listening to bands/songs which you would never have learnt of, and I enjoy that very much. I listen to all kinds of music, even some stuff that is overtly trivial, and I must say that the Stones hold up very well with their body of work.

So I am probably disloyal in your point of view but that led me to appreciate the Stones even higher although I have a critical attitude towards them in both directions (from classic music to boring doodling - e.g.I never liked Dirty Work at all, I find Monkey man or Hide your love very weak songs, while I am still moved every time I listen to Salt of the earth or the Brussels 1973 recordings).

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 13:20

What an absolutely stupid thing to ask. You have a favorite food... Is that the only food you eat? You have a favorite drink... Is that the only thing you drink? You have a favorite color... Wear any other color? You have a favorite outfit... Wear anything else? Of course you bloody do.

The Stones are your favorite band... Listen to anything else? Of course you do. Do you not listen to the radio? If you did, you must hear something else. Or you'd be forever turning it off.

This is either the most stupid question ever on this board, or you ask it to get a rise. Stupid in itself...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2015 13:23

Complete loyalty to my ass!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 13:23 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2015 13:26

NO THANKS!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 3, 2015 16:55

Silver Dagger
Complete loyalty to my ass!

Until your ass rises up and overthrows the benevolent dictator of a third world country leading us all to freedom I'm having trouble being loyal...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 3, 2015 19:23

stones2000
I was hoping some (or all) of you could chime in with your opinion on this subject- basically, I'm wondering what "Complete Loyalty to the Stones" means to you? Does it mean never listening to another artist, or is it ok as long as the Stones are always your favourite? I've been struggling with this recently. The Stones will always be my absolute favorite, but should I feel disloyal for listening to another band? Someone told me that broadening my musical taste might help me to appreciate the Stones that much more, and I think there's a degree of wisdom in that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions or wisdom you might have. Thanks

My take on the question:

Fanship towards a band does not concern loyalty, but possibly through some period(s) an allconsuming passion, where you tend to only adore and listen to that band. Not as an attitude, but out of fanatism. After that, one tends to broaden the perspective and wants to listen to other bands as well, both because they supply good music in itself, more or less. And because other bands contribute to the whole of those music genres that one's favourite band (or bands) also does / do, out of fascination and interest for music. It may become a desire to explore (different genres of) music. Then one would do better to follow one's own whims what to choose, instead of obeying the bids of others. And if you have been lucky with the favourite band that conquered you, it will not shine less, but more by listening to other bands. Else, one's favourite band may have to cede to one or more other bands.

Wheras supporter attitude towards one's football club is marked hopefully by loyalty in a certain sense. Not meaning that you do not permit yourself to see other teams, but loyalty in the sense that one continues to support one's fooball club through both good and bad times (for instance, after relegations). One does not replace the football club of one's heart out of disappointments, even if one may see other teams to be able to watch better football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 19:25 by Witness.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home