Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Complete Loyalty to the Stones
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:39

I was hoping some (or all) of you could chime in with your opinion on this subject- basically, I'm wondering what "Complete Loyalty to the Stones" means to you? Does it mean never listening to another artist, or is it ok as long as the Stones are always your favourite? I've been struggling with this recently. The Stones will always be my absolute favorite, but should I feel disloyal for listening to another band? Someone told me that broadening my musical taste might help me to appreciate the Stones that much more, and I think there's a degree of wisdom in that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions or wisdom you might have. Thanks

Re: Complete Loyalty to the Stones
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:40

It means you're an idiot.

Date: August 2, 2015 19:40

Not you. The general you. Someone with that ignorant mindset.

Date: August 2, 2015 19:47

stones2000
I'm wondering what "Complete Loyalty to the Stones" means to you? Does it mean never listening to another artist, or is it ok as long as the Stones are always your favourite?

Do you jump off a bridge because someone tells you to?

stones2000
I've been struggling with this recently. The Stones will always be my absolute favorite, but should I feel disloyal for listening to another band?

Good grief, you make it sound like you're one of those sheeple that are trapped in the religious gloom of going to church. Eh, ask yourself this: are the Stones loyal to you? Are they depending on you for making their music good? I'll answer that for you - THEY DON'T CARE.

stones2000
Someone told me that broadening my musical taste might help me to appreciate the Stones that much more, and I think there's a degree of wisdom in that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions or wisdom you might have. Thanks

It's not necessarily broadening your musical taste, it's simply listening to other music period. Oh my, you know, I love the Stones but I also love The Cult, AC/DC, The Police, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Led Zeppelin and a few others.

It doesn't matter except to me and all it is is music.

But if you think you need to live in a vacuum, by all means, don't listen to anyone but the Stones.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:53

Stones2000 at your young age, you should listen to all kinds of music, and a good place to start would be with the music that influenced the Stones. From the old bluesman, like Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, to Buddy Holly to Chuck Berry. Explore soul and reggae and even classical, Keith says he listens to it every morning. Mick and Ronnie like to keep up on what's new, and Charlie is a jazz guy to his core. So, there's lots of music to listen to, all of it Stones approved. smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:55

stones2000
I was hoping some (or all) of you could chime in with your opinion on this subject- basically, I'm wondering what "Complete Loyalty to the Stones" means to you? Does it mean never listening to another artist, or is it ok as long as the Stones are always your favourite? I've been struggling with this recently. The Stones will always be my absolute favorite, but should I feel disloyal for listening to another band? Someone told me that broadening my musical taste might help me to appreciate the Stones that much more, and I think there's a degree of wisdom in that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions or wisdom you might have. Thanks

complete loyalty means that not only do you only listen to the stones, but that you only listen to them in the order they released the songs. you must listen to each album from start to finish. only after you've finished listening to Doom and Gloom and One More Shot are you allowed to go back to the 60s and start over again.

frankly, if you don't do this, you probably shouldn't even call yourself a stones fan.

the only exceptions are that you're allowed to skip over "winning ugly" on dirty work and "short-n-curlies" on IORR. you can only take loyalty so far.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:57

People that restrict their music taste to nothing but one band are idiots.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:59

You can be loyal to the Stones in the sense that they are the band you listen to the most. But go back and check out who they listened to - folks like Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, early Motown, rhythm and blues in general, Arthur Alexander (he also influenced the Beatles), among others. Then listen to as many different types of music as you care to discover. For instance, Led Zep used Middle Eastern motifs in some of their stuff. So did the Stones through Brian Jones with the Joujouka stuff, the Beatles (George Harrison) with the use of Indian music. Open your ears to everything. Doesn't mean you gotta like everything, but at least you'll be listening to the beat(s) of th world and discover amazing sounds. Discover folks like early Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and the Everly Brothers, as examples. Listen to how they influenced others. Discover what influenced them. You can still love the Stones, be "loyal" to them as you put it, but you will also gain a better understanding of the music the Stones made and what helped them create their sound.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:06

If I'm not mistaken, Stones2000 is 15 years old, right? I'm with Latebloomer all the way on this:
There's miles of splendid music out there, new and less new, that you want to hear,
if only to have something to discuss with any Stones you meet. :E

It's also enlightening to listen to the Stones' releases in chronological order, from time to time,
without skipping anything, almost as Turner68 suggests. But that doesn't make you "more loyal" or "less loyal".

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:07

May I suggest some Oingo Boingo and Police...the new CODA release and a smidge of John Hiatt

Date: August 2, 2015 20:08

with sssoul
If I'm not mistaken, Stones2000 is 15 years old, right? I'm with Latebloomer all the way on this:
There's miles of splendid music out there, new and less new, that you want to hear,

It's also enlightening to listen to the Stones' releases in chronological order, from time to time,
without skipping anything, almost as Turner68 suggests. But that doesn't make you "more loyal" or "less loyal".

just to be clear, i was joking in my response. as i believe was stones2000 in his/her original post.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:15

GasStreetLight i like your style . I thought i was controversial, but you are something else . This site needs people like you. Even when i don't agree with you, i admire your sledge hammer honesty.
Keep going girl.
As for stones200's question, i would say that its very easy to be loyal to the Stones because they are the only band i never get bored of.
Be it their huge catalogue of music, or their way of making almost every live song they play, sound slightly different each time.
It just keeps me from ever getting used to their sound, or horror of horrors bored with their sound. I love all kinds of music but i can't listen to another band or artist for a fraction of the time that i listen to the Stones.
No, you are not an idiot for asking such a question.
I would like to hear other peoples views also, but alas i can not offer any wisdom as i am a Stones train spotter lol
We are an elite kind of spotter, the best, most logical, and basically our ears are not lying to us..
The Stones are that good, they make a lot of sense, they are worth being loyal too in a make sense way.
If your going to get hooked on music, there is no better..

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:39

keefriffhards: this one's for you.

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:39

Munichhilton
May I suggest some Oingo Boingo and Police...the new CODA release and a smidge of John Hiatt

Great idea Munich...may I add Elvis Presley to your splendid list sir?

Date: August 2, 2015 20:42

dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

WOW thanks dmay. love it, never heard this before smoking smiley

I am a brother not a sister by the way.
But i'm in touch with my feminine side.
I am over emotional lol but all man >grinning smiley<

Is it just me i have trouble working out the guys from the girls here on iorr .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 20:48 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:43

They are a band, a brand, a product. Your loyalty should only extend as far as your desire to purchase their product.

Date: August 2, 2015 21:29

keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

It's easy keefriffhards, all the women are intelligent and well spoken, the men...not so much. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 21:30 by latebloomer.

Date: August 2, 2015 21:29

Turner68
with sssoul

just to be clear, i was joking in my response. as i believe was stones2000 in his/her original post.

His smiling smiley. And yes, I am a 15 year old male

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 21:31 by stones2000.

Date: August 2, 2015 21:30

Thanks so much everyone for all the insight and wisdom. I really appreciated hearing all your views on this.

Date: August 2, 2015 21:46

latebloomer
keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

It's easy keefriffhards, all the women are intelligent and well spoken, the men...not so much. winking smiley

Ha Ha yeah i thought as much smiling smiley
I was told off for my paragraphs today lol. Must of been a chic.
Funny thing is i am dyslexic. Left school with nothing, taught myself everything i write.. Its the best i can do..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:06

Munichhilton

Really really Love John Hiatt. Seen him ever since 1987, last time a month ago in Utrecht,Holland.
His last few albums are great. Good songwriter, and Great Performer.
Check his music. Emotional and great songs.
Jeroen

Date: August 2, 2015 22:11

keefriffhards
latebloomer
keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

Funny thing is i am dyslexic. Left school with nothing, taught myself everything i write.. Its the best i can do..

Gold rings on you.... Many great minds are dyslexic, it's tragic that the school systems don't recognize dyslexics better.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:24

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 22:15 by Bliss.

Date: August 2, 2015 22:30

keefriffhards
latebloomer
keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

Your posts are very easy to understand, keef. Heck, sometimes I don't even understand what I wrote myself. cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:50

Divide your loyalty between the Stones and The Beatles - you can't go wrong, and it's the most mature thing to do. cool smiley

Then listen to hundreds of other bands/artists and dozens of different types of music, and then everything will make sense in the world.

Date: August 2, 2015 23:06

Turner68
keefriffhards
latebloomer
keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

Gold rings on you.... Many great minds are dyslexic, it's tragic that the school systems don't recognize dyslexics better.

Thanks turner, its good for me to write on here a lot as i am improving all the time. Well i mean i am getting quicker and i learn from people all the time. smiling smiley
Its a working progress, and yes when i was at school i was seen as an idiot. Well some would agree on here about that lol. But i do have a gift, i write a lot of lyrics and poems. I think they are good but they are personal to me ..

Date: August 2, 2015 23:09

keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
latebloomer
keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

Thanks turner, its good for me to write on here a lot as i am improving all the time. Well i mean i am getting quicker and i learn from people all the time. smiling smiley
Its a working progress, and yes when i was at school i was seen as an idiot. Well some would agree on here about that lol. But i do have a gift, i write a lot of lyrics and poems. I think they are good but they are personal to me ..

if you haven't you might want to check out the book "the dyslexic advantage". a close friend is dyslexic and this book changed her life.
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 23:11 by Turner68.

Date: August 2, 2015 23:16

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
latebloomer
keefriffhards
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Rock on brother/sister.

if you haven't you might want to check out the book "the dyslexic advantage". a close friend is dyslexic and this book changed her life.
[www.amazon.com]

Cheers. life is good, a few clicks here and their and bingo a book from Amazon is in the post cool smiley cool turner much appreciated

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:18

Dear dear Stones2000

You should NOT feel bad! God,no-one can be lukewarm about them, can they? It's a passion, a riot in the heart! There might be a long period when you listen to no-one else and have some tracks/albums on repeatedly and you revel in the gorgeousness of it.

It's because you have fallen in love. The infatuation phase might lead to a less intense phase. You might go off on an off-shoot and start experimenting with other musicians and liking those does not mean you've committed fan adultery. The incomparable Stones will still be there for you when you need a little coke and sympathy....

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:22

My "complete loyalty to The Stones" consists of continuing (however feebly), their aesthetic of great songwriting. Number one is "the hook" - that great, compelling lick. The kind of note combination that cuts through all the incessant , bloody rubbish that we're reluctantly obliged to daily endure. A riff that, when one analyzes it, appears simple, but within a two-and-half/three minute "pop" enclosure (along with "direct" lyrics) guarantees that before the song ends, we've already decided to lift the needle and play the 45 again. A few guitar tones, strategically placed, along with an easy-to-digest vocal "story line". Now, that's "Satisfaction"!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home