Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Rest In Peace, Cilla Black
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2015 15:08

Re: OT: Rest In Peace, Cilla Black
Date: August 2, 2015 15:11

Keith and Cilla at Leah(?) Wood's wedding a few years back :-

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 15:18

RIP Cilla

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 2, 2015 18:45

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:30

For those three amazing singles alone - Anyone Who Had A Heart, You're My World, and Alfie, Cilla has earned a place in pop music history.

RIP Cilla Black.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:33

Who?

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:35

Very sudden and surprising news. She was a talented and warm person; her autobiography is a really good read not only for the early days on the Liverpool scene where she counted the Beatles among her friends but because her integrity as a person shines through. RIP.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 2, 2015 19:57

Love and light to her and to everyone close to her

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:03

God bless you Cilla. Rest in peace

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:16

I think Americans in general aren't that familiar with her, but I know this one, for sure.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:27

potus43
Who?

A bit silly, but I'll take the bait for the benefit of others in a similar situation. In some ways, Cilla was almost Britain's equivalent of Cher - musical success guided by a powerful male mentor (Brian Epstein vs. Sonny Bono), and then savvy diversification into TV that helped ensure their longevity to this day. And they both had only one name. Cilla and Cliff were the queen and king of British showbiz.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:43

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:55

God bless you Cilla. She never got over her husbands death.
Must be lovely to find your soul mate, but alas, one has to go first.
She is with him now god bless her..

Date: August 2, 2015 21:09

In the United Kingdom, at least, Cilla is equally - if not more - famous for her role as hostess of the hugely popular television program, Blind Date. It was a fixture of Saturday teatime television for many years.

Date: August 2, 2015 21:10

keefriffhards
God bless you Cilla. She never got over her husbands death.
Must be lovely to find your soul mate, but alas, one has to go first.
She is with him now god bless her..

What a lovely post thumbs up

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:03

So sad.

I happened to be talking about Cilla the other day with a friend as I might be visiting Liverpool soon and we were discussing singers from there (and particularly from the similar era to the Beatles).

Also used to enjoy Blind Date when growing up.

RIP.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:55

Hate to rain on the parade, but if you think her records or voice are up there, well what can i say she was a run of the mill singer.

An air stewardess friend of mine had the misfortune of ahving to look after her on a flight and she said she was one of the worst celebs she had looked after.

she was also a tory/thatcher supporter so i rest my case.

I will say RIP thou.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:15

I didnt care for her vocal delivery but had srong admiration for the way she seemed to remain grounded and managed (with help of course) her personal life and professional career impeccably.
So NO
-messy divorce
-not ripped off by Managers etc
-paid her tax, no escape to tax havens
-no kiss and tell from former associates etc.
-no distractions from alcohol and drug excess
-a successful change of direction, records to TV
-didnt follow fads, eg TM
Probably some people will say how boring, but she clearly had savvy and could be regarded as more cool and enlightened than some of her more trendy peers.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:53

@odean73 - One could argue that most successful singers and musicians are not exactly virtuosos. It's what you do with what you're given that counts. And we all have our bad-hair days, even flight attendants. The @jlowe comments are spot-on, though there may be some revisionism in coming days as we recently saw with Christoper Lee and his war record.

PS - Oh dear, just saw this 2004 Cilla quote in The Guardian: "And I adore Tony Blair and Cherie. As a couple, I think they're wonderful, and the way they've brought the kids up. So it depends on your personality [as to who Cilla likes]."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 23:59 by DeanGoodman.

Date: August 3, 2015 00:29

odean73

And 'Sir' Mick Jagger, isn't? I don't see how politics and Blind Date fit together, personally.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:33

odean73
Hate to rain on the parade, but if you think her records or voice are up there, well what can i say she was a run of the mill singer.

An air stewardess friend of mine had the misfortune of ahving to look after her on a flight and she said she was one of the worst celebs she had looked after.

I will say RIP thou.

She came over on TV as a likeable salt-of-the-earth type soul but then again as is so often the case a stars performing persona might be quite unlike their true self. Anyway the world is a less colourful place with her passing
RIP Cilla.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:35

Sorry.
RIP

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 3, 2015 02:05

Here's one she did that was written by Lennon and McCartney

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: August 3, 2015 02:48

odean73
Hate to rain on the parade
- so then don't. She's gone. No need to trash her like this. Stay classy.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 3, 2015 09:14

72 years old. Perhaps some contributors to this forum should bear that number in mind, consider the ages of the Stones and take stock of the fragility of their own favourite band rather than pulling someone apart hours after they have died.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 11:13

MrThompsonWooft
72 years old. Perhaps some contributors to this forum should bear that number in mind, consider the ages of the Stones and take stock of the fragility of their own favourite band rather than pulling someone apart hours after they have died.

thumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 17:03

odean73

I will say RIP thou.

AGAIN, The LEFT chimes in! using this type of RIP post!!!What a disgrace you are. But when someone else with a different POV...well, watch out!

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 3, 2015 20:33

Stones50
odean73

I will say RIP thou.

AGAIN, The LEFT chimes in! using this type of RIP post!!!What a disgrace you are. But when someone else with a different POV...well, watch out!

Indeed. Haven't I read comments in the past that suggest that Keith favours Republicans? Some might find that a bit difficult to swallow. But do you hold it against him?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 3, 2015 21:05

Stones50
odean73

I will say RIP thou.

What do you mean by LEFT and why do yo say that?

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 21:06

Hee hee

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home