Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

12 x 5 DSD Version
Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 09:16

I am amazed at the fantastic sound quality of this old gem.It could have been recorded yesterday. You also get an extended 2120.
I have other DSD versions of some others:

Rolling Stones [1] A bit harsh in quality.
Now. No great improvement.
Out Of Our Heads. Slightly better sound.
Aftermath. Very crisp and clear.
Between The Buttons. Lot more bass and very clear.

I am curious about other DSD versions.

Re: 12 x 5 DSD Version
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 2, 2015 09:21

jaggered1
I am amazed at the fantastic sound quality of this old gem.It could have been recorded yesterday. You also get an extended 2120.
I have other DSD versions of some others:

Rolling Stones [1] A bit harsh in quality.
Now. No great improvement.
Out Of Our Heads. Slightly better sound.
Aftermath. Very crisp and clear.
Between The Buttons. Lot more bass and very clear.

I am curious about other DSD versions.

I have to admit I have all of them, but I haven't given them the listen they deserve. I end up listening to vinyl much more, I presume you're talking about the SACDs?

Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 10:05

No DSD ,not SACD

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 10:07

I bought all the hybrid SACD's when they came out in 2002. 12x5 always sounded good. I always liked the sound the band got at Chess Studios in Chicago even over RCA in LA. Beggars Banquet sounds really good, especially Sympathy.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 2, 2015 12:36

jaggered1
No DSD ,not SACD

SACD is DSD.

The 2002 SACD has many stereo versions that were not available on the original release. Huge improvement IMO.

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 2, 2015 13:23

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-23 19:27 by midnrambler.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 2, 2015 16:27

The only Stones SACD I have is Bagger's Banquet. I bought it years ago. But I have a SACD-player only form about a year – the sound is more than amazing !

Date: August 2, 2015 16:37

slewan
The only Stones SACD I have is Bagger's Banquet. I bought it years ago. But I have a SACD-player only form about a year – the sound is more than amazing !

I bought a sony blu ray player specifically for playing my SACD's a few years ago, on the kind advice of Toru, a poster on this board as it plays that format.

The sound is amazing. The trouble is, I'm not sure whether it's actually playing the SACD layer, or the regular CD layer...I have no way to be sure what version I'm listening to.

Sounds good though!

Date: August 2, 2015 18:51

midnrambler
kowalski
jaggered1
No DSD ,not SACD

SACD is DSD.

Yes, but DSD is not necessarily SACD. The DSDs are also available as normal CDs.

DSD is the audio format found on SACD's. Just like PCM is found on CD's.
DSD can't be played on normal CD's. It's very different from the 16 bit - 44.1kHz PCM found on CD's.

See : [en.wikipedia.org]

DSD is also available as digital downloads on a few web sites.

Date: August 2, 2015 19:08

kowalski
midnrambler
kowalski
jaggered1
No DSD ,not SACD

SACD is DSD.

Yes, but DSD is not necessarily SACD. The DSDs are also available as normal CDs.

DSD can't be played on normal CD's. It's very different from the 16 bit - 44.1kHz PCM found on CD's.

Post 2002 and after all those dual layer SACD's had long sold out, they did release what they called DSD on regular CD's, if memory serves.

What the devil did that actually mean?

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-23 19:24 by midnrambler.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 2, 2015 20:43

treaclefingers
slewan

I bought a sony blu ray player specifically for playing my SACD's a few years ago, on the kind advice of Toru, a poster on this board as it plays that format.

The sound is amazing. The trouble is, I'm not sure whether it's actually playing the SACD layer, or the regular CD layer...I have no way to be sure what version I'm listening to.

Sounds good though!

easy to tell – the real SACD sounds even a little better (but on the other hand – you won't have a chance to tell unless your player tells you what you're hearing (unless you'll get the regular CD (without SACD layer)…)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:05

treaclefingers

Post 2002 and after all those dual layer SACD's had long sold out, they did release what they called DSD on regular CD's, if memory serves.

Some of the japanese SHM-CD's use the same DSD-master as the SACD counterparts.

For instance the 'Exile On Main St.' Platinum SHM-CD [www.cdjapan.co.jp] :
"HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes in 2011."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 22:15 by Irix.

Date: August 2, 2015 23:14

treaclefingers
kowalski
midnrambler
kowalski
jaggered1
No DSD ,not SACD

SACD is DSD.

What the devil did that actually mean?

DSD is an audio format that can only be played on SACD (Super Audio CD).

When they say a CD is a DSD remaster, it means the CD is sourced from a DSD master but of course it's in 16 bit PCM which is far from real DSD quality.

So advertising a CD as "DSD remaster" is kind of tricky. What they really mean is : "sourced from DSD master" or "cut from DSD master"...

If you want to hear the real DSD stream you need to play the SACD on a SACD player, ie a player able to decode the DSD stream - otherwise it will only play the CD layer.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:28

DGA35
I bought all the hybrid SACD's when they came out in 2002. 12x5 always sounded good. I always liked the sound the band got at Chess Studios in Chicago even over RCA in LA.

Yeah, those Chess sessions were amazing in terms of audio quality.

When I listen to the SACD of them, I shake my head in disbelief at the incredible sound.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: August 2, 2015 23:32

kowalski

When they say a CD is a DSD remaster, it means the CD is sourced from a DSD master but of course it's in 16 bit PCM which is far from real DSD quality.

So advertising a CD as "DSD remaster" is kind of tricky. What they really mean is : "sourced from DSD master" or "cut from DSD master"...

If you want to hear the real DSD stream you need to play the SACD on a SACD player, ie a player able to decode the DSD stream - otherwise it will only play the CD layer.

Correct on all counts. The discs that say "DSD Remastered" were just an Abkco marketing ploy to screw with the consumer. I bought a few of them back in 2005 thinking that they were the SACDs in new packaging.

-R

Date: August 2, 2015 23:40

kowalski

Not quite: DSD as a file can also be played via HighRes-AudioPlayer (e.g. Astell&Kern AK240, Sony NW-ZX2) or via PC/Mac (e.g. JRiver, Foobar2000, Audirvana+, Puremusic).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 23:55 by Irix.

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:30

The sacd shm cd"s sound amazing with the right hifi

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 3, 2015 04:16

It's not DSD that makes the ABKCO era releases sound so amazing (whether you buy them on SACD, CD or vinyl), it's the 2002 mastering - it was very well done.

The post-Let It Bleed catalogue is best heard on SHM-SACD's from Japan released in 2011 and rereleased in 11/2014 (or on the SHM-CD's or Platinum SHM-CD's that use the same mastering). AS a bonus, they used the "long" version of Fingerprint File (actually slowed to normal speed) - it was probably done accidentally, and is only available on these Japan releases.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 3, 2015 15:45

I've got a bunch of SACD's that say they are from the 2011 SHM-SACD, would those be the Universal remasters? I got them in .ISO format from a torrent site. I bought an OPPO-93 a few years ago to play SACD's, DVD Audio, Bluray Audio...most of them sound fantastic to these 63 year old ears...smiling smiley

Date: August 3, 2015 17:10

Mr.D

I've got a bunch of SACD's that say they are from the 2011 SHM-SACD, would those be the Universal remasters?

The SACD's should be either the 2002 DSD-transfers (Bob Ludwig masters) or the 2011 DSD flat-transfers from the analogue master tapes by Mick McKenna and Richard Whittaker at the FX Copyroom, London. Have a look in the Artwork files - it's stated there. The Universal remasters were from 2009.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 17:35 by Irix.

Date: August 3, 2015 18:05

slewan
treaclefingers
slewan

Sounds good though!

easy to tell – the real SACD sounds even a little better (but on the other hand – you won't have a chance to tell unless your player tells you what you're hearing (unless you'll get the regular CD (without SACD layer)…)

OK, and not wanting to seem ungrateful for the explanation, but how in the hell is that easy to tell?!

Date: August 3, 2015 18:06

Mr.D
I've got a bunch of SACD's that say they are from the 2011 SHM-SACD, would those be the Universal remasters? I got them in .ISO format from a torrent site. I bought an OPPO-93 a few years ago to play SACD's, DVD Audio, Bluray Audio...most of them sound fantastic to these 63 year old ears...smiling smiley

The older we get, the less money we'll need to spend on quality recordings and equipment. Those will be some good times.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:49

midnrambler
Yes treaclafingers, you are right. The "DSD Remastered" recordings are (were) available both as SACDs (in digipaks) and as normal CDs (in usual Jewel Cases):

top: SACD, bottom: normal CD

The DSD remasters are in jewel cases and they are CDs. Better quality than the original CDs. The ABKCO Stones' 2002 SACDs were in digipaks. There is no printed reference to them being SACDs on front or back. The digipak and 2002 are the only way to tell an ABCKO Stones SACD from a DSD. You can still find them at record stores, and most of the time the person who puts prices on them doesn't know they are rare. So you can pick them up for a good price.

I A/B'd a LIB DSD and an LIB SACD. The difference is subtle. Jaggger's voice was smoother in the SACD than in the DSD. His voice in the DSD had a bit of a harsh 'edge' to it that is not there in the SACD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home