Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: If you don't like Bono....
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 2, 2015 22:35

HMS
Simple minded me always thought of Lennon as a musical genius. smiling smiley

Thinking of Lennon as a hypocrite, idiot and narcissist is probably the same some other people think of Mick Jaggergrinning smiley
So they must be two of a kindsmiling smiley

I don't know anyone who thinks Jagger was an idiot or hypocrite. I mean he didn't do things like start laying in bed for peace and the rest. I can't imagine what he would be a hypocrite about, and I noticed when he is interviewed he doesn't sit there and talk about himself for hours. Actually reporters complain that he doesn't talk about himself.

Anyone who thinks they are alike is not very aware.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:31

Send It To me
In the 80's and 90's he helped write a couple dozen songs that are truly classic and amazing, and his activism and charity work has no doubt actually made a positive difference in a few lives and raised some awareness of important issues. By all accounts, he is generally accommodating and kind to fans. He's not perfect, but who is? I don't get all the hate.

I dont get it either and I am not a fan of their music.
Bono seems well in control of his life and you cant deny the bands run of success.
And no falling out with and amongst the band members. Professionals.
So methinks its a case of jealousy and envy.

Dont the group also have a more democratic arrangement re composer credits than most?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 3, 2015 05:19

Not the best voice but seamed like a nice guy...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 3, 2015 05:37

In their prime they were a great band. Hanging on too long without getting better is their only sin. Bono politically is a blowhard but he has tried to make a statement and puts his money and time where his mouth is. It seems they are the band to hate but in the 80's they played the best show around, music was pretty awful then and they were one of the good ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 05:38 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 3, 2015 10:27

U2 was the hottest of the hot stuff in 1985 and on the day for Live Aid.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 3, 2015 11:46

Disgusting article. Disgusting words. Whatever you think about an artist - this is not they way to talk about someone.

AND: This is definetely not the niveau of IORR.

BV help please - close this thread

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 3, 2015 11:50

I first saw U2 in 1980 and was a big fan until Achtung Baby (their best ablum in my opinion) but it has been a steady decline since then and I lost intrest years ago but I don't understand the blogger's hatred of Bono, he is just a singer, what harm is he doing?
There are public people in the world much more worthy of the public's scorn than Bono.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 3, 2015 12:02

caschimann
BV help please - close this thread

People should be allowed to speak their minds out.
Why closing this thread, cant see a reason for it.

U2´s albums since Achtung Baby may became very interchangeable, but they are still great as a live act I´ve been told. They put on bombastic shows, it´s more about the spectacle than the music, that´s the way things are done nowadays...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 3, 2015 12:29

Turner68
You'll enjoy this...

I don't know that I've ever read such a complete take down of a rock star before.

[theconcourse.deadspin.com]

Yes, that's fun. The thing which made me laugh most was the part about the Chili Peppers though, because the rest was well written but, let's face it, most people have already thought this since the 80s and I always completely agreed.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 3, 2015 15:04

Coming to think of it, when I was young (in the 80s), there was a joke about this.

Paul McCartney dies and goes to heaven. Saint Peter lets him in, and tells him: "I noticed you didn't do badly playing music down there, maybe you want to join our band in heaven?" He leads him the way, and shows the band, practicing: there's Jimi Hendrix on guitar and Keith Moon on drums, Chet Baker on trumpet, Charlie Parker on sax, etc. etc. "That looks great" says Paul, but who is that singer, acting all preachy and pretentious like that?
"Oh, never mind him," says Saint Peter, "That's Jesus Christ, he thinks he's Bono Vox."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 15:27

Send It To me
In the 80's and 90's he helped write a couple dozen songs that are truly classic and amazing, and his activism and charity work has no doubt actually made a positive difference in a few lives and raised some awareness of important issues. By all accounts, he is generally accommodating and kind to fans. He's not perfect, but who is? I don't get all the hate.
Me neither. I think it's pathetic.

Date: August 3, 2015 15:31

jlowe
Send It To me

I dont get it either and I am not a fan of their music.
Bono seems well in control of his life and you cant deny the bands run of success.
And no falling out with and amongst the band members. Professionals.
So methinks its a case of jealousy and envy.

Dont the group also have a more democratic arrangement re composer credits than most?
Yes. I believe they divide all the revenue the band generates four ways between Bono, the Edge, Mullen Jr. and Clayton.

They've never had any major controversies or meltdowns or have bandmembers leave. I get that Bono can come off as pretentious and overly grandiose, but that's being a rockstar. He at least tries to do some good in the world, which is more than I can say for most big stars.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 3, 2015 17:45

He should team up with Sting and call it the Pretentious Twins.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:04

Shott
He should team up with Sting and call it the Pretentious Twins.

or,

Stono or,

Bing

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 3, 2015 20:33

Who's Bono

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 21:53

i dont know why bono gets knocked when there are so many like him or worse in the music industry.

musically u2 were fantastic early on, albums boy, october, war, the unforgettable fire and the joshua tree were excellent, they were great live and from the early 80,s to the mid to late 80,s the best band in the world and certainly the best live.

they have lost thier way a bit like most bands do, and bono can be a prat at times but is he really that bad, i dont think so.

Date: August 3, 2015 22:02

buttons67
i dont know why bono gets knocked when there are so many like him or worse in the music industry.

musically u2 were fantastic early on, .

I will never understand music boards. Why do people stat opinions as facts. You liked them early on is a fact, you saying they were fantastic early on is stated as a fact but is not a fact.

Here is what you should post and its my opinion also. U2 was obviously a very successful Rock Band early on and a lot of people liked their music. Bono has tried to do some good and I am not sure why so many hate him.

Personally I find him annoying at times, but being annoying is not enough to hate someone.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 22:07

Who doesn't like Bon bons?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 3, 2015 22:52

stanlove
I find Bono annoying and think his music is ok. I get sick to my stomach once when during an interview about his music he was asked who his infuences were and he said Elvis and MLK.

One thing I better not find is someone who always goes around knocking Bono but idolizes John Lennon. Bono is Lennon light.

that's where he gets tripped up,when he tries to be john lennon.bono is no where near as big of an idiot as lennon was though.
he'd have to double down on his own self important crap and throw in a crazy ass wife with no talent to force on the public.
even bono wouldnt subject his fans to that sort of misery.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 3, 2015 23:15

John Lennon never was an idiot. And Yoko is great on their Double-Fantasy-recording. I remember after hearing Double Fantasy for the first time, I sat there thinking to myself "This isn´t just pop or rock music. This is art."

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 4, 2015 07:06

HMS
John Lennon never was an idiot. And Yoko is great on their Double-Fantasy-recording. I remember after hearing Double Fantasy for the first time, I sat there thinking to myself "This isn´t just pop or rock music. This is art."

Agree 100% with that.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: August 4, 2015 07:44

franzk

Repetitiveness generally isn’t all that grave a crime in pop music. For example, literally every song the Red Hot Chili Peppers have ever recorded is just Anthony Kiedis saying “Llama gamma busy hella fizzy California” over the opening credits music from The Cosby Show, and they’ve been doing it for over 30 years and nobody cares. This is because the Red Hot Chili Peppers are just some goofballs turning the crank and hoping it’ll spit out another “Under the Bridge,” and they know it as well as we do, and hey, the world is full of people turning cranks. Much of life is crank-turning. Nobody can get mad at the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It would be like getting mad at a fry cook because his quarter-pounders always taste the same.

LOL! I laughed hard at this bit, and I do like RHCP very much! grinning smiley

I laughed hard at the whole damn article, in tears, in front of my 4-year old
boy. Who knows, maybe it will entice him to learn to read. Funny piece, even if you are neutral on Bono/U2.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 07:57

Glad people have enjoyed it :-)

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 4, 2015 13:54

dmay
"U2´s last albums were indeed quite formulaic. Seems to be the fate of most bands after having reached their creative peak. They only can disband or spiral down."

I'd say this is pretty true from the Stones through Springsteen through Petty and the Heartbreakers through Neil Young through Dylan and on and on. One can only be thankful the Beatles broke up when they did.

The Beatles probably could've made it through to just before the 'punk' era judging by the material on the solo albums...but they were going in four different directions so it is just as well they did disband.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 14:40

carlorossi
I laughed hard at the whole damn article, in tears, in front of my 4-year old
boy. Who knows, maybe it will entice him to learn to read. Funny piece, even if you are neutral on Bono/U2.

Just a short quotation from the article in the original post:

there sits Bono in his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his dick. He is, in the words of Deadspin’s own Tim Marchman, “the worst music man of all time.” He is puke, and I want to punch him in the ear.

What is funny about that? It is beyond pathetic, no matter what anyone thinks about Bono. Or anyone else, really. If somebody finds this funny, I feel sorry for him. Right now I am ashamed that I am a member of this forum.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 4, 2015 15:12

And he wears those glasses because he has an eye disease (glaucoma). Pretty sad to make fun of someone based on a medical issue.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 4, 2015 16:02

dmay
"U2´s last albums were indeed quite formulaic. Seems to be the fate of most bands after having reached their creative peak. They only can disband or spiral down."

I'd say this is pretty true from the Stones through Springsteen through Petty and the Heartbreakers through Neil Young through Dylan and on and on. One can only be thankful the Beatles broke up when they did.

Dylan and Young, though they have not released masterpieces, don't fit in that formula imo. Quite good albums for both from late '80's on.

To define "formulaic" U2's efforts since Achtung Baby is an euphemism.

But Eno's contribution to their music let them produce two top albums, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-04 16:05 by maumau.

Date: August 4, 2015 22:28

HMS

I love sarcasm.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 4, 2015 22:40

Bono daughters have the same ugly legs as the father, must be terrible .... hot smiley

Date: August 4, 2015 23:40

mtaylor
Bono daughters have the same ugly legs as the father, must be terrible .... hot smiley

Attacking his kids now?

Talk about @#$%& low class. People here can be an ugly, jealous lot.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home