Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18
Re: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl"
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:07

I guess I could have written my review a little clearer.

All I meant to say is w/ the amount of stars from the past showcased on the series it might be lost on a younger generation who might not know them by not knowing their musical history.

Although I don't think it would keep them from enjoying the series, the references & significance would be a little lost on them.

I've been completely AMAZED after talking w/ younger people (I'm 39), that are in their late 20's & early 30's who have NO IDEA who Chuck Berry, David Bowie, The Who, The Velvet Underground & Buddy Holly are, & who think the 'Blues' are some sort of clinical depression. It's just astounding.

Thanks goodness for IORR.org

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:25

Yep,

I was talking with a young kid who plays guitar in band the other day.
He'd never even heard of Eric Clapton ...[though he had seen folks wearing T-shirts with Jimi Hendrix on them ;^)].

when I was his age I was ravenous for knowledge about the musicians from earlier times who influenced my own musical heroes.
There doesn't seem to be the same thirst for knowledge these days.

Maybe its because in this age of the net, knowledge is so easy to come by that nobody actually bothers to acquire it any more !

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 20, 2016 21:38

schillid
with sssoul
I call foul on those underpants

CloudCat
yeah!

camper88

I concur ... they use the tightest whitest underwear in a scene where they're completely wrong.

Explain ?

Schillid my sweet, the point is that the character wouldn't have been wearing underwear at all in that situation.
The scenario and ambience demanded a naked junkie, and the loyal audience deserved a naked Jagger.

Plus which Richie's definition of "alibi" was wrong.

On a more positive note, the similar raincoats that might have been a stolen shipment were quite funny,
and I finally managed to like Richie in this episode. Finally.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 09:17 by with sssoul.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 21, 2016 02:32

"the loyal audience deserved a naked Jagger" probably the best sentence in this thread hahah

Where was Devon? Olivia Wilde is also pregnant so maybe she won't really be in the upcoming season?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 21, 2016 03:55

Thought Galasso the gangster saying he didn't care for The Godfather was maybe a funny little inside diss from Scorsese.

Looking forward to what happens next season. Got that Nasty Bits song stuck in my head now...Hey girl, I want you...Hey girl, I want you...

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 05:36

with sssoul
On a more positive note, the similar London Fog type raincoats that might have been a stolen shipment were quite funny,
and I finally managed to like Richie in this episode. Finally.

I liked the introduction to CBGB's I thought that was funny and quite nicely underplayed. I find the celeb cameos to be a bit too much like Easter Eggs--sprinkled throughout the series and very attractive on the surface, but ultimately not adding anything substantial. If CBGB's becomes a location in the show, it could be interesting.

Date: April 21, 2016 09:16

camper88
I liked the introduction to CBGB's I thought that was funny and quite nicely underplayed.

Yes, that was indeed another good bit.

Wherever Devon was I hope she stays there - I'm tired of that mopey character.

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: April 21, 2016 19:07

After finishing the first season I really want to like this show and for the most part I do but it drives me crazy because there is so much potential I think for it to be more interesting. Starting with the time period. I think late sixties record company would be much more interesting. Richie could be working with more rock bands instead of the punk garage garbage. It's all fiction so there should be no limits. Plus there could be talk of these upcoming and past festivals Montery, Woodstock, and altamont, ect. Instead it's nothing but dirty New York City bands, I'm sorry I'm just not a punk fan.
My second issue is the show being put on halfway by Mick and where are the stones. I'm not asking for an entire HBO series about the Stones but good lord it's been 10 episodes and I haven't even heard them mentioned! You're gonna tell me it's 1972-1976? and the biggest touring act is not even mentioned what the heck?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 21, 2016 19:51

with sssoul
the point is that the character wouldn't have been wearing underwear at all in that situation.
The scenario and ambience demanded a naked junkie, and the loyal audience deserved a naked Jagger.

Ah so... you were alluding to the dramatic and prurient aspects.
Well, this is HBO after all... Monthly subscribers expect a certain amount of nudity per month.

Date: April 21, 2016 20:10

Possible storyline...

CBGB a few years later. Kip appears to be waiting to go onstage. Turns out that he's only waiting to use the restroom. The bathroom door opens, and out walks Mick Jagger. Kip stops in his tracks and watches Jagger stride past.

As Mick Jagger emerges into the barroom, all heads turn towards him. A man who has been seated at the end of the bar with his back turned spins around and stands up. He steps towards Jagger. "Mick!" he calls out. "Hi, I'm Martin Scorsese. I'm a filmmaker. Do you have a minute?"

thumbs upRe: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl"
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 21, 2016 22:40

How cool would it have been if Keith or Ronnie(or both) were recruited to perform a song for the series. Probably too incestuous? Also, there are so many songs during the 10 episodes that were highly influential to Mick's writing and the Stone's playing styles in the 70's. thumbs up

Date: April 21, 2016 22:57

Sorry if this has already been posted; it makes some good points:
[www.bbc.com]

Date: April 21, 2016 23:04

with sssoul
[www.bbc.com]

Good read, thanks.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 23:48

with sssoul
[www.bbc.com]

Thanks With sssoul, lots to agree with. Too often thought I was watching Mad Fellas--Mad Men meets Good Fellas.

I've got less of a problem with the limited focus on music, as there's only so much territory that can be covered, and it's not a Time Life compilation that they're aiming at. One of the strengths of Mad Men was that they seemed very selective in choosing which cultural moment to focus on, knowing that they couldn't cover them all. Sometimes that was frustrating but over all I think it was the right choice and allowed the show to be true to itself. Vinyl seems a bit more opportunistic and less choiceful at this point, but hopefully they'll make real history fit the show's history rather than attempt too much. I for one won't be upset if ABBA doesn't get heard again in the next season or ten.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 06:11 by camper88.

Date: April 22, 2016 01:56

The question of how the Nasty Bits are supposed to save the company is an excellent one
that I've been waiting for an answer to since episode 1. Maybe next year ...

Date: April 22, 2016 02:45

Interesting thoughts from several very good writers on this thread. I"ll only add that I thought the best scene and the most authentic from the closer was the montage from the dance clubs.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 24, 2016 16:55

Finally got around to completing a bingewatch of the last few episodes.

Go figure: Mick Jagger's son plays a singer in a rock band, and his voice sounds like Tom Petty!

All that coke got a bit redundant after a while. I'd ditch all appearances by anyone playing a real rock star from the time.

Date: April 24, 2016 20:51

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 18:47 by schillid.

Date: April 28, 2016 11:48

Finally, I got around to watch this, and, man, this is great stuff! Great casting (with a few exceptions).

I still have two episodes left. Had a couple of great nights watching this the last couple of days smileys with beer

Date: April 28, 2016 17:09

with sssoul
... the dork in the mail room, though: He just isn't interesting... the character (Clark?) is still an uninteresting dork.

Man, this character is BORING. Those nerdy high-waisted plaid slacks remind me of Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd as those Wild And Crazy Czech brothers in old SNL skits...
I assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that this dork's "unhipness" was somehow part of the story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-28 17:55 by schillid.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 29, 2016 04:53

DandelionPowderman
Finally, I got around to watch this, and, man, this is great stuff! Great casting (with a few exceptions).

I still have two episodes left. Had a couple of great nights watching this the last couple of days smileys with beer

I agree, I really enjoyed Vinyl. Great stuff, and got better as the characters gathered steam. And yes, James sounds like Tom Petty! I wonder if that is his real singing voice.

Date: April 29, 2016 14:52

schillid
with sssoul
... the dork in the mail room, though: He just isn't interesting... the character (Clark?) is still an uninteresting dork.

Man, this character is BORING. Those nerdy high-waisted plaid slacks remind me of Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd as those Wild And Crazy Czech brothers in old SNL skits...
I assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that this dork's "unhipness" was somehow part of the story.

HAH HAH!! So right schillid...now I won't be able to watch him without thinking of that skit. grinning smiley

Date: April 29, 2016 15:03

Seems like Clark got the last laugh, though - go, Indigo! grinning smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 30, 2016 00:14

DandelionPowderman
Seems like Clark got the last laugh, though - go, Indigo! grinning smiley

That song was stuck in my head for ages too, very catchy.

Date: May 7, 2016 16:28

When Dev photographed the guitar that Richie had smashed through the tv, it was easy to assume that she was gathering evidence for her divorce case...
Amusing to see her photograph used instead as the cover of the Nasty Bits' first album.

Date: May 10, 2016 22:45

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 11, 2016 13:32

Both the cover and the title of the record are a killer!!!

Date: May 11, 2016 14:25

Wild Slivovitz
Both the cover and the title of the record are a killer!!!

I thought the same thing!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 2, 2016 00:05

Not dissimilar, maybe just coincidence:

Vinyl (not really off topic)
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 21, 2016 08:29

man I have just been getting into the TV Series Vinyl and WOW really enjoying it.

has anyone else watched Vinyl? did you like it?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home