Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 18
Re: James Jagger in Jagger/Scorsese's 'Vinyl'
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 7, 2015 13:33

I dunno. Maybe just sort of a swinging 70's rock and roll drama.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 7, 2015 13:54

Hairball
Seems a bit of melodramatic and alot of overacting...is this supposed to be like a soap opera?

I sorta had the same reaction to the trailer, but its more because of the silly speech and dramatic music than James Jagger. Hopefully the series will be much better.

Date: October 7, 2015 14:09

It appears to be in a similar vein to those other (very successful) US music-related series...."Nashville" and "Empire".

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 7, 2015 15:39

Agreed.

Re: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl" - February 14, 2016
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 31, 2015 00:05

Introducing American Century Records. #Vinyl premieres February 14, 2016 on @hbo.

[instagram.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 31, 2015 00:49

thanks for the update! i was hoping it was going to start sooner.

Date: November 18, 2015 13:55

@arnold_daniel

New trailer - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 1, 2015 20:57

Mick Jagger on 'Raunchy' Seventies Rock Drama 'Vinyl'

Rolling Stones frontman and Martin Scorsese take a deep dive into 1970s rock scene in new HBO series

By Will Hermes December 1, 2015

About 20 years ago, Mick Jagger had an idea for a dream project: an epic movie that would chart the history of the music business over several decades. To get his vision off the ground, he eventually recruited Martin Scor­sese and Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter. As they worked, it became clear they couldn't cram the whole story into one film. "It was very sprawling," says Jagger. "And as TV became more refined and exciting and interesting to make, we decided to do it as a series."

The result is Vinyl, which premieres on HBO in February. Set in New York in 1973, the show centers on Richie Finestra (played by Bobby Cannavale), a record-label president with a coke habit, a troubled marriage and a company losing its Midas touch. Cannavale, 45, enjoyed cramming for the role. He read histories of music of the era, like Love Goes to Buildings on Fire and the record-business chronicle Hit Men. He also "spent a lot of time with the right people" – including Patti Smith guitarist Lenny Kaye and David Johansen, frontman of the New York Dolls. "It's not like researching a cop show," Cannavale adds.

Being a Scorsese drama, there's no shortage of sex, drugs and pathological violence; Andrew Dice Clay is particularly on point as a deranged, swing-club-loving radio exec. Along with all the period decadence, there's plenty of music in the form of dramatizations of real-life bands like the Dolls (who we see playing a revelatory gig in the pilot) and, in flashbacks, various blues and R&B acts that Cannavale's character fell in love with when he was first getting into the music business.

Yet the biggest star in Vinyl might be the streets of New York in the 1970s – "a pretty raunchy place," says Jagger. "I like the milieu," he adds. "[The show] was always going to be set there." Both Jagger and Scorsese have depicted this New York before. Given the decade's excesses, it wasn't easy to perfectly recall every dec­ades-old detail. "You do your research," Jagger says. "And your research colors your memory." But did the guy who sang "Shattered" ever actually see "people dressed in plastic bags directing traffic"? "Of course!" he says, laughing.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 1, 2015 21:44

People were dressed in plastic bags directing traffic up into the 90s in NYC, and i wouldn't be surprised if they still are. He was talking about policemen covering up with plastic when it was raining or snowing and they had to direct traffic. Funny the interviewer doesn't get that. Of course indeed.

It's a great, quintessential NYC moment and genius that Jagger captured it in the lyric.

Posted by: StonesNYc ()
Date: December 1, 2015 22:00

Mick's success outside the Stones has been extremely disappointing. Along with Keith's solo albums.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 03:02

Put on on your red dress baby, cause we're going out tonight.

Put on your high heeled sneakers...

Oh my, Olivia Wilde. Ooh la la

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 2, 2015 09:13

Turner68
He was talking about policemen covering up with plastic when it was raining or snowing and they had to direct traffic.
Funny the interviewer doesn't get that.

Some kind of fashion eye rolling smiley

That charming vignette has always sounded like a Keith Contribution to me,
but in any case it's brilliant and the interviewer should be embarrassed

Date: December 19, 2015 20:04

Date: January 8, 2016 14:02

Mick Jagger on 'Wacky' Label Bosses, the Mob and Working with Martin Scorsese on HBO's Druggy, Sexy Vinyl

1/7/2016 by Frank DiGiacomo

Mick Jagger with Bobby Cannavale on the set of HBO's Vinyl. Courtesy of HBO

"That was a huge musical moment, ­especially in New York," says Mick Jagger. "You had all of this interplay." He's talking about the mid-1970s, when the blues-fueled metal of Led Zeppelin coexisted with the gender-bending glam rock of New York Dolls, disco and the early strains of punk and hip-hop.

As a witness and survivor of the decade's excesses, the Rolling Stones frontman, 72, says that 20 years ago, he sold his friend, filmmaker Martin Scorsese, on an idea for a movie about the record ­industry during that period. That film eventually morphed into Vinyl, a TV series that will debut Feb. 14 on HBO.

Jagger and Scorsese -- who directed the pilot, set in 1973 New York -- are among the show's executive producers, along with showrunner Terence Winter, who previously collaborated with Scorsese on the HBO series Boardwalk Empire. Vinyl depicts no-­inhibition-era New York much as Boardwalk Empire rendered Prohibition-era Atlantic City, N.J. -- by mixing real characters and events (in the pilot, actors play the Dolls and Zeppelin's Robert Plant, John Bonham and ferocious Zeppelin manager Peter Grant) with fictional ones. Richie Finestra, for example, is the cocaine-hoovering founder and head of the invented American Century Records, ­portrayed by Bobby Cannavale in an ­unforgettable haircut.

Organized crime also plays an occasionally bloody role. "There was money to be made in what became the music industry, and the mob wanted a piece of it," Scorsese tells Billboard, adding, "Wherever money's being made, ­violence is going to happen."

Jagger spoke to Billboard about the ­outlandish label bosses he has encountered during his career and his 30-year-old son James Jagger's ­portrayal of Kip Stevens, the sneering ­frontman of the show's fictional raw rock group The Nasty Bits. (Jagger fils fronted British punk band Turbogeist, which is on hiatus while he pursues his acting career.)

Was your idea for Vinyl triggered by any specific experience?
Not really. I just thought it would be good to have these characters in the record business because there are so many crazy people and then make it go through different periods. In the series we do flashbacks, but in the movie we had a lot of flash-forwards, too. Who knows, we might do that in the series in the future.

You were close to Ahmet Ertegun. Are any of the characters infused with his spirit?
I was very close to Ahmet, and the company I probably saw the most of from the inside was Atlantic in that period. I wouldn't say Vinyl is based on Atlantic. Ahmet wasn't at all like the Richie character, but that's the company I knew best. It was relatively small when I was there. That informed me when it came to the part in the pilot where Richie sells his label to the Germans. Atlantic was sold to Warner Bros. ­during that time period. [In the movie], Richie was going to become this corporate person, which, who knows, could still happen.

The meetings with the German buyers suggest the music industry still harbored hostility over World War II. There also is a scene in which Peter Grant rants about his grandmother still having "shrapnel in her arse from a Nazi buzz bomb."
There's a lot of that in there, yeah. I mean, it's 1973 -- Jewish people in New York, and ­obviously the Peter Grant character, were still raw, so to speak.

The label bosses don't come off well.
They were so wacky that it was hard to write up how mad they were in real life and expect ­people to actually believe that a ­businessperson could behave like that.

You must have a personal experience you can recount.
A lot of them, but all you need to do is read the book from [CBS Records CEO] Walter Yetnikoff [[i]Howling at the Moon: The Odyssey of a Monstrous Music Mogul in an Age of Excess[/i]]. Walter's a ­wonderful guy, but in that ­period he was ­completely off his head. I once went to meet him at lunchtime. I was sober, and I found out later he was completely out of his mind. I ­wondered why he wasn't making a lot of sense.

There is some darkly comic Scorsese violence in the pilot that involves a ­record promoter. Is that based on an actual event?
Whether it went down as depicted 100 ­percent I'm not going to claim or say, but there was ­definitely a seamy side to promotion, and ­organized crime was part of it in those days.

What happens when you and Scorsese disagree on something?
I'm bigger than him. We haven't had any spats or anything, but obviously, there's a huge ­committee involved. I had never done a TV ­series before -- I've only been involved in ­movies -- and it's a totally different ­animal. You've got so many writers and directors ­involved.

Your son James plays the lead singer of The Nasty Bits. Was that a part you had in mind for him?
No, but when I saw the role was being ­created, I thought, "Well, wait a minute. They're ­looking for a guy who likes this kind of music, can play it and can act as well." He loves that kind of music -- that kind of screaming racket. Not that I've got any objections to it, but I mean, he's really into that. So I thought I'd put James into the mix. I'm very pleased with him.

What do you miss about the industry ­during the time that Vinyl takes place?
It seemed anything was possible at that point. Creating any kind of music and mixing up any kind of music and making it into something that people wanted to hear was possible then. Of course, there was a lot of dreck. When I go through all the songs of the period, there are a lot of wonderful things, but there's also so much crap it's unbelievable. And that was one of the things we debated: how much crap music are we going to have in the show because we want to represent the period. We don't want to make out that the '70s was only Marvin Gaye and James Brown and Bob Marley. It wasn't. It was full of rubbish.

The pilot makes a running joke of England Dan & John Ford Coley, who had a hit with "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" in 1976.
I'm not saying anything. There were even worse things. When you look back at what the big-selling records were, it's hilarious. I found that all very amusing, but I kept saying to the music supervisor that there was too much dreck [on the soundtrack]. We had long discussions about how much dreck we could have.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 8, 2016 16:30

Very cool
Thank you bye bye johnny

Date: January 9, 2016 15:42

HBO

James Jagger and Juno Temple

New "Nasty Bits" trailer - [www.youtube.com]

Date: January 9, 2016 16:00

Jagger, Scorsese visit '70s music biz in HBO's 'Vinyl'

Bill Keveney, USA TODAY January 7, 2016

HBO

PASADENA, Calif. – Get ready for a tour of the wild 1970s music scene with expert guides Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese.

The Rolling Stones frontman and Oscar-winning director are executive producers of HBO's Vinyl (Feb. 14, 9 p.m. ET/PT), a long-gestating project that follows a record label executive, Richie Finestra (Bobby Cannavale), in 1973 New York. The project reunites Scorsese and fellow Boardwalk Empire executive producer Terence Winter, who oversees day-to-day operation of the show.

HBO describes the 10-episode series as "a ride through the sex- and drug-addled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hip-hop." Speaking at a Television Critics Association panel Thursday, Cannavale said he sees Richie as "hanging on to the edge of a cliff with one hand."

Jagger, speaking via satellite, said he approached Scorsese with the concept years ago. It began as a movie idea, before eventually shifting to the smaller screen as TV "started to become interesting, respectable, moneymaking."

Jagger said he was immersed in the Stones' business affairs, so he knows the world Vinyl depicts.

"We got really screwed in the '60s, so I had to become involved," he said. He learned how record companies worked, "who was good, who was bad, who paid who, who screwed who, who ended up in money."

Vinyl is set in an intriguing time in music, with the series featuring rock, funk, punk and disco. It features existing songs and those created for the series.

Jagger acknowledged helping his son, James Jagger, with one song, but he credited James, who plays one of Vinyl's characters, for the work. "I didn't really write that much."

The Stones icon also likes the mix of fictional characters with those based on real performers, such as David Bowie and Led Zeppelin.

"By and large, people were very flattered to be included in the shows," Winter said. "We wanted to get descriptions right" of real people, many of whom are friends of Jagger or Scorsese.

Scorsese, who directed Vinyl's two-hour premiere, said he's already more involved with the new series than he was with Boardwalk. He would like to find time to direct more episodes.

Appearing via satellite, the acclaimed director said he has been involved "in all stages of production, selecting directors, working in tone meetings. I continue working with the music." He added that his connection with music in film goes back to that same era with his own Mean Streets in 1973. "It's close to my heart."

Ray Romano, who also stars in the series, grew up with the music featured in Vinyl. "The music connected me to a very important time in my life. I reached puberty, manhood, fell in love, fell out of love," he said.

Olivia Wilde, another star, marveled at the physical depiction of 1970s New York. "It was amazing. They re-created Max's Kansas City. It was fantasy, every day."

Having Scorsese as a director was special, Cannavale said. "It's great being led by Marty. Every place in New York you're shooting, he's got a story about it."

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 9, 2016 17:51

Uum....wonder if there are any Allen Klein or Andrew Oldham "characters" in the film?

Date: January 10, 2016 18:11

Bobby Cannavale relishes having Mick Jagger as a boss for 'Vinyl'

By Bill Harris
January 10, 2016

HBO

PASADENA, Calif. - “It's like hanging out with the sun.”

That's how actor Bobby Cannavale describes spending time with Mick Jagger.

And that's not just because Jagger is one of Cannavale's bosses on the new TV series Vinyl, which largely is about the music business in New York in 1973. Vinyl debuts Feb. 14 on HBO and HBO Canada.

Cannavale plays lead character Richie Finestra, a record-company owner. Jagger had the original idea for the series and is one of the executive producers, alongside Martin Scorsese, who also directed the first episode.

So Cannavale was asked if he got any specific advice from Jagger.

“Not so much on the character, but we talked about the era,” Cannavale said. “For me, what's really helpful is Mick letting me hang around him.

“I got to be around him a lot. And it's really good for me to see how people behave around Mick.

“I'd go to dinners with him, and I went and saw the Stones, and I hung out backstage a bit, and went out with him afterwards. And that was really interesting to me, just watching how people are around him.”

This is where the sun came into it.

“It's like hanging out with the sun,” Cannavale said. “You can't believe the way people act. And everybody wants something. But it's interesting to watch how people try to get what they want from Mick.

“And that, for me, it's just a behavioural thing. That's really more valuable to me than a story about hanging out in Rio.”

Jagger obviously has lots of stories about hanging out everywhere, but I was curious to ask him when he began to make the transition from musical artist to musical businessman. Vinyl primarily is set in 1973, so how involved was Jagger at that point in the Rolling Stones' business dealings?

“Yeah, I was really involved, because we got really screwed in the '60s,” Jagger said.

“So I had to become involved as the '60s went on, and it became the '70s. I got really involved in record companies and how they worked and who was good, who was bad, who paid who, who screwed who, who ended up with the money. So yeah, I got involved.”

Jagger's involvement with Vinyl is substantial, too. He's not just a marquee name on a long list of executive producers, which sometimes occurs.

“So the genesis of this really was that I had an idea years ago (in 1996) that I took to Marty (Scorsese) and asked him what he thought, and we tried to develop it as a movie,” Jagger recalled.

“We developed it and developed it. We wrote scripts. It was a very sprawling idea. And when TV series came online and started to become interesting, respectable, money-making, we decided to make a TV series of it. That's how it began.”

Jagger's son James Jagger has a role in Vinyl, playing an aspiring young musician who would love to get a record deal at the company owned by Cannavale's character, Richie. But Richie doesn't even know if he's going to have a company for much longer, which is the heart of the story.

So if Bobby Cannavale loves to watch other people react to Mick Jagger, has Cannavale ever paused to consider his own behaviour when he spends time with Jagger?

“I'm pretty good,” said Cannavale, who won an Emmy Award for his role as the terrifying Gyp Rosetti in the third season of Boardwalk Empire. “It's only afterwards that I go, 'Oh yeah, I can't believe I hung out with Mick Jagger.'

“I'm pretty focused. I'm trying to get my work done. So I don't think about it too much when I'm with them. It's only afterwards that I really flip out.

“The access that I've gotten to people from that time was enormously helpful to me, so I couldn't really afford to freak out. Like, if I freak out the first time I meet Patti Smith, she's never going to want to hang around me again. So I'm pretty good at keeping it cool.”

[www.torontosun.com]

Date: January 10, 2016 19:09

Jagger via Satelitte @ HBO Winter 2016 TCA Panel, Langham Hotel, Pasadena, CA - January 7, 2016© Jeff Kravitz

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2016 03:42

On the @vinylHBO red carpet with Jimmy #Vinyl

[twitter.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:01

Here is an article w/ videos of Jagger Sr and Jagger Jr each talking about Vinyl
New York City 1/15/16
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-16 08:05 by shawnriffhard1.

'Vinyl' Premiere - Ziegfeld Theatre, NYC January 15
Date: January 16, 2016 19:08

Date: January 16, 2016 19:09

Date: January 16, 2016 19:10

Date: January 16, 2016 19:13

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2016 19:35

....nice shoes Mick .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 16, 2016 19:58

Mick Jagger looks FANTASTIC. Seriously handsome. I <3 MJ. Thank you for posting them here, comes across quite nice indeed.
1st and 4th pics (by himself) LOVE.
By the way, I really really really like Mick Jagger, lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-16 20:00 by 35love.

Date: January 19, 2016 03:01

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home