Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 18
Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2015 22:38

The long simmering project has a name and preniere airdate - February 14, 2016.

[www.hbo.com]

[www.vinylcuts.nyc]

[open.spotify.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-06 20:02 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl" coming in 2016
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 31, 2015 22:44

This used to be titled "The Long Play." Interesting development.

Date: July 31, 2015 22:49

Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger’s new HBO show is called Vinyl, will debut next year

TV series will chronicle New York City's "drug and sex-fueled music business" of the '70s

by Michelle Geslani
on July 31, 2015

New details on Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger’s long-in-the-works TV series about a ’70s New York City record label exec have been revealed. The drama will be entitled Vinyl and is set to air on HBO next year.

The show, which has been in development since 2011, will focus on the “drug and sex-fueled music business as punk and disco were breaking out,” according to a press release. As we previously noted, Scorsese is set to direct the pilot episode and, alongside Jagger, will serve as one of the show’s executive producers. Terrence Winter (Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos) has been tapped as showrunner and will pen the pilot’s script.

Actor Bobby Cannavale (Boardwalk Empire, Third Watch) is set to play the role of American Century Records president Richie Finestra, who must make a “life-changing decision” amidst the chaos of the ever-evolving ’70s music scene. His wife Devon, a former actress and model, will be played by Olivia Wilde (Her, Tron: Legacy). Also on-board are Ray Romano as Zak Yankovich, American Century’s Head of Promotions, and Andrew “Dice” Clay, who will portray the owner of a chain of radio stations. Jagger’s son James also appears as Kip Stevens, the frontman of punk band Nasty Bits.

The new HBO series is just one of many music-related projects from Scorsese. Previously, the renowned director released a George Harrison documentary and helmed Michael Jackson’s 1987 music video for “Bad”. He and Jagger also worked together on The Rolling Stones’ 2006 documentary Shine A Light.

[consequenceofsound.net]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:21

I can't stand Scorsese and I'm sorry they've amended the original idea of starting the story in the 1950s
(or '40s even) and tracing the evolution of the music business through the decades -
but I'll watch anything the Glimmers produce, and that's a great photo of Mick.

As for how many S-movies had Stones numbers in them ... I don't know.
If he worked Gimmie Shelter into Kundun that would be all of them, right? :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 16:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 10:33

IMDb says James Jagger will play "Kip Stevens" for eight episodes.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 10:55

Nice photo of Mick, he looks kinda of cute and he is older than my mum!grinning smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 11:43

you know, in thinking about it, it's kind of sad that the most promising sign of this being a quality show is that it's on HBO, not that jagger or scorsese are associated with it. and i say that as huge fans of both - they're just not either known for having a consistently high quality bar.

Date: August 1, 2015 11:54

Hm well maybe, but I'm always glad to stay up late to watch Jagged films.
I enjoy that little frisson when it says "Produced by Mick Jagger". Silly but warm (or vice versa)

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 1, 2015 16:51

I tend to think of the 1970's music business as being more of an LA universe

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:02

Isn't that great photo of Mick from the same shoot as for the cover of the very best of Mick Jagger?

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:07

Send It To me
I tend to think of the 1970's music business as being more of an LA universe
headquartered in new york almost one and all

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:12

About the sex and drug fueled music business of the 70's? Man it was a toxic period for musicians and the greed, sleaze and dishonesty was rampart and quite disgusting really. I can't decide if this is the best idea since sliced bread or an accident waiting to happen. I guess it will depend on content and how well it is made like everything else. Perhaps they just need something to compete with all the strange reality shows which dominate the screen these days.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 2, 2015 08:50

Turner68
you know, in thinking about it, it's kind of sad that the most promising sign of this being a quality show is that it's on HBO, not that jagger or scorsese are associated with it. and i say that as huge fans of both - they're just not either known for having a consistently high quality bar.

Haha. Well, as far as Jagger goes, Get On Up was pretty good, not amazing but good. So I like to think this means he's improving- it sure is a world away from that show about the burglars he produced a couple years back.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 2, 2015 09:50

Turner68

I don't think I agree with that notion at all.

In fact, I'd wager HBO were on board BECAUSE of Jagger and Scorsese.

Date: August 2, 2015 09:51

alieb
Turner68

Haha. Well, as far as Jagger goes, Get On Up was pretty good, not amazing but good. So I like to think this means he's improving- it sure is a world away from that show about the burglars he produced a couple years back.

Jagger did a cameo, but was he actually a producer on that one?

Date: August 2, 2015 13:35

treaclefingers

I looked it up and I'm sorry to say he and Victoria Pearman produced one episode -
probably the one he appeared in, don't you think? But what is it that Jagged Films has produced
that people have found inferior? I don't really follow his production activities
but when they've been shoved in front of me I've found them quite okay.

Date: August 2, 2015 15:01

Ignat/Bauer Griffin

Bobby Cannavale and Olivia Wilde on set in NYC, July 20.

Date: August 2, 2015 16:41

with sssoul
treaclefingers

I looked it up and I'm sorry to say he and Victoria Pearman produced one episode -
probably the one he appeared in, don't you think? But what is it that Jagged Films has produced
that people have found inferior? I don't really follow his production activities

yeah, I think the only duff project he's been involved in was the Freejack thing in the early 90s, and I don't believe he produced that either.

I'm all for tearing someone down because cyberbullying can be fun, but let's at least get the facts in order before we start the process.

Date: August 2, 2015 17:15

Not a fan of cyberbullying myself, actually. I think Freejack is hilarious, and the role really suits the Mick,
better than most he's tried playing. But you're right, he didn't produce it.

Date: August 2, 2015 17:16

Photo by Chad Spielmann

Max's Kansas City recreated for a July 31 shoot.

[www.gothamist.com]

Date: August 2, 2015 17:17

treaclefingers
with sssoul
treaclefingers

yeah, I think the only duff project he's been involved in was the Freejack thing in the early 90s, and I don't believe he produced that either.

I'm all for tearing someone down because cyberbullying can be fun, but let's at least get the facts in order before we start the process.

Wasn't the first film he produced Enigma? I never saw it but apparently it did not do so well with critics...

Date: August 2, 2015 17:19

with sssoul
Not a fan of cyberbullying myself, actually. I think Freejack is hilarious, and the role really suits the Mick,

yeah, I think it was pretty tongue-in-cheek as well but maybe not everyone was 'in' on the joke. Plus, I think it was more fashionable to still bash the Mick in the early 90s.

Date: August 2, 2015 17:21

alieb
Wasn't the first film he produced Enigma? I never saw it but apparently it did not do so well with critics...

I've seen it a couple of times on TV, and it's quite all right as a not-very-factual espionage/thriller.
And it's actually a lot closer to the facts than The Imitation Game is, with roughly the same scenario.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 17:25 by with sssoul.

Date: August 2, 2015 17:24

alieb
Wasn't the first film he produced Enigma?

First was "Running Out Of Luck" in 1987. Mick's credited as Executive Producer.

[www.imdb.com]

Date: August 2, 2015 17:35

with sssoul

yeah, that movie was a huge joke but in a good way. Mick is great at playing villains.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 2, 2015 18:35

alieb

just the opposite. the movie was a critical success. here's Roger Ebert's review

[www.rogerebert.com]

Date: August 2, 2015 18:38

btw Roger Ebert did a great interview with Mick about Enigma where Mick mentioned his movie project with Scorsese - something that has now become Vinyl

MICK MOVES INTO MOVIES
by Roger Ebert
January 26, 2001

PARK CITY, Utah -- Mick Jagger is taller than you'd think, thin as a rail, dressed in clothes that were never new and only briefly fashionable. There is a studious unconcern about appearance, as if, having been Mick Jagger all these many years, he can wear whatever he bloody well pleases.

He is at the Sundance Film Festival as a producer. He and Lorne Michaels have produced and Michael Apted has directed "Enigma," a Sundance entry about the British codebreakers at the top secret Bletchley Park facility, who cracked the German naval code when it had 150 million million million possible solutions, and then cracked it again after it was improved to 4,000 million billion solutions.

He wanted to get into film production, he said, because "I got rather bored with people trying to involve me in their projects and then the projects would fall to pieces. I thought, well, wait a minute, if I'm interested in this, I should start doing the things that I'm interested in, and not the things other people want me to do."

In the movie business, it helps to get a project financed if a big name like Jagger's is "attached" to it. Better to attach himself to his own project and eliminate the middle men.

"Enigma" is based on a best-selling novel by Robert Harris, a riveting read, long unfilmed because it's not exactly cinematic to show a lot of mathematicians sitting in a room drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, thinking hard and writing on yellow notepads.

"It's very hard to do a movie about intellectual activity," Jagger mused. We were sitting in an upstairs room of a bar named Gamekeepers, drinking mineral water. "It's even hard to do a movie about painters. What are they doing? Painting. This could have been a movie about guys sitting in rooms with pencils.

"Fortunately, in the real-life Bletchley Park, they invented a way of decoding the Nazi signals using a kind of mechanical computer. They built these things called bombs where you put instructions in and the machines would click away. The man with a pencil would make a calculated guess what the code was, and then the bomb would go through the permutations and say yes or no."

Luckily, however, "Enigma" is about more than computers. It is also about romance and betrayal. The film stars Dougray Scott as Tom Jerico, the brilliant mathematician who has returned after a nervous breakdown, Saffron Burrows as the beautiful war worker who caused the breakdown and then went missing, and Kate Winslet as the plucky operative in the radio reception room, who transcribes the German signals and helps Tom solve the mystery of the code and the missing woman. Jeremy Northam is the British intelligence operative who wonders if all three are spies.

"It's not just about code-breaking," Jagger said, "but about love, and it's got some underlying moral questions also about how many lives can be lost for the greater good."

Hearing Jagger say things like that is tricky because you have the rock 'n' roll persona in your mind, and the person sitting across from you speaks in a well-educated British drawl, like someone on an upmarket talk show. I mentioned that I'd seen the Rolling Stones at the Double Door in Chicago, in a warm-up performance the night before one of the Stones' most recent concerts at the United Center.

"That was a nice night," he said. "That was one of those nights when it all goes nicely." He seemed to be describing another person in another life.

Michael Apted, the director of "Enigma," "is an old friend," Jagger said. "I knew him from years ago. He's a well-known English documentary filmmaker, as well as a feature filmmaker. We had meetings with him, and he seemed right for the job, and then he got this offer to do the last Bond movie, so we had a hiatus of a year while he did the Bond movie, and so we had to keep the whole thing waiting."

The screenplay is by Tom Stoppard, famed playwright and screenwriter ("Shakespeare in Love"), and a formidable force when crossed.

"Tom's an old friend of mine," said Jagger, who has excellent taste in old friends, "and since this is an intellectually challenging story, I thought he would suit it. But everyone else was kind of afraid of Tom, intellectually. He's not a mean person, but he's not a person that you can make mistakes with. If you go in and say, `Scene 38B is not really working,' you'd better know why it's not working. Everyone was afraid to do that. So that was my job. To say what I would say to any writer, because if it's not working, it's not working."

Have you had any fun at Sundance?

"No, I came here last night, and I went to a party where Macy Gray was supposed to be singing. She wasn't there. I had a few drinks and left. That was my Sundance experience."

Will you see any movies?

"I have to go back to Los Angeles tomorrow. I do go to Cannes quite often for a couple of days, to see what movies are around. And I was at Venice (film festival) this year. It was fun."

Jagger said his company has two other projects in the works, one by Martin Scorsese called "The Long Play," about two guys who grow in the music business over 30 years, and the other based on the poet Dylan Thomas' life and marriage.

He hasn't starred in many movies, but people still talk about his androgynous druggie rock star, playing host to a gangster on the run, in Nicolas Roeg's "Performance" (1970).

"I saw it on television not long ago," Jagger said. "What I found interesting was the social observations that were being made and the use of documentary-style footage. It was really quite ahead of its time. It's a good movie; I think it holds up."

He had another dramatic role in 1970, "Ned Kelly," about the famous Australian outlaw. I asked him if he had read Peter Carey's new novel about Kelly.

"People have told me it's fantastic."

So maybe your company would return to Ned Kelly for another movie?

"I think I've done my Ned Kelly years."

[www.rogerebert.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 18:43 by proudmary.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 2, 2015 18:40

Thanks, proudmary...good to see you here. I hope you have been well and happy. smiling smiley

Date: August 2, 2015 18:45

latebloomer
Thanks, proudmary...good to see you here. I hope you have been well and happy. smiling smiley

Thanks, latebloomer. It's good to be here))

Date: August 2, 2015 19:06

bye bye johnny
alieb
Wasn't the first film he produced Enigma?

First was "Running Out Of Luck" in 1987. Mick's credited as Executive Producer.

[www.imdb.com]

I can't help but like that flick...it's so ridiculous it's funny.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home