Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New book about the Rolling Stones
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:55

My book about the Rolling Stones is now available to pre order and can be shipped anywhere in the world. It contains over 500 fan recollections of seeing the group from their very early days (before Bill & Charlie joined the group) through to Hyde Park in 1969. These are previously unpublished accounts and tell the story of their rise from playing in places like The Red Lion, The Wooden Bridge and The Station Hotel through to appearing on the Ed Sullivan show.

[gottahavebooks.co.uk]

Re: New book about the Rolling Stones
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:13

Hey Richard , how about hooking me up with a free copy as I was the one who introduced you to this site back in April ?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 12:25

boston2006
Hey Richard , how about hooking me up with a free copy as I was the one who introduced you to this site back in April ?

it says he has been a member since last year...

Date: August 7, 2015 19:19

Yes I have been a member since last year. There's been a steady stream of orders coming through, and I've been asked to do a number of signed copies so some people are obviously hoping a signed first edition of the book will be worth something in years to come. Time will tell!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 7, 2015 22:14

Good luck with your book!

Date: August 11, 2015 16:01

Thanks Bliss. Pre orders have now reached 100. This book is coming out via a small publisher so the hardback edition will be a strictly limited edition of perhaps 500 copies. Don't all rush at once!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2015 19:22

Ordered.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 11, 2015 19:29

His Majesty, very nice to see you back.

Date: August 11, 2015 19:30

stonesrule
His Majesty, very nice to see you back.

Thank you. smileys with beer

Date: August 12, 2015 00:56

Nice coverage of my book in this article, which also includes a couple of exclusive extracts:

[musicheritageuk.tumblr.com]

Date: September 28, 2015 02:34

OK folks my book about the Stones is finally available on Amazon:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

and Some Toronto Girl's free copy will be heading her way this week.

Date: October 5, 2015 16:17

Recieved my hardback copy today. Only had a quick flick through, but some great photos and anecdotes with ace little details. thumbs up

Date: October 8, 2015 01:57

Hi HM. Glad you like it.

Date: October 26, 2015 09:24

Another plug for my book, which has been picking up some great press coverage around the UK:

[m.oxfordtimes.co.uk]

[www.rochdaleonline.co.uk]

[www.dailyrecord.co.uk]

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:36

Just ordered.... would definitely appreciate it arriving signed :-) Looking forward to it. Thanks, Matt

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:43

boston2006

Good grief. Maybe we gotta send up a crowdfunding project for you!

Rod

Date: October 26, 2015 20:55

Hi Matt. Thanks for your order. Drop me a line at stonesinthe60s@gmail.com and I'll ask the publishers to make sure you get a signed copy. Thanks. Richard

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 26, 2015 21:45

Just ordered one!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2015 21:53

As an author myself, it's amazing how many people, often friends, balk at paying the small amount to support your work. Best of luck, Richard. At first I groaned when I saw the headline, thinking who the hell needs a NEW book about the Stones at this point? Then I saw your approach and thought, yeah, that's a new angle. Congratulations.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 26, 2015 22:49

herecomesrichard
Another plug for my book, which has been picking up some great press coverage around the UK:

[m.oxfordtimes.co.uk]

[www.rochdaleonline.co.uk]

[www.dailyrecord.co.uk]

Here's another one: [www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk]

Congratulations! smileys with beer

Date: October 28, 2015 18:56

Here's some nice and funny anecdotes: [www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk]

Date: October 30, 2015 09:13

More press coverage of my book, including the infamous riot at Blackpool which saw them banned for 44 years. I doubt they'll go back now the ban's been lifted. After all, it's hardly the same as playing on the beach at Rio is it?

[m.blackpoolgazette.co.uk]

[m.bedfordtoday.co.uk]

[communityuk.net]

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 1, 2015 02:42

I would really like an autographed copy....please let me know how ....

Date: November 1, 2015 12:55

Drop me a line at stonesinthe60s@gmail.com

Thanks

Date: November 27, 2015 09:10

OK folks my book is reduced to £9.99 (&P&P) until midnight Sunday only.

Here's the link if you want to check it out:

[gottahavebooks.co.uk]

And I've just done an interview with Lancashire Evening Post writer Malcolm Wyatt:

[writewyattuk.com]

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:36

Awesome, just ordered a hardback copy!

Posted by: mulecrowe ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:11

herecomesrichard
My book about the Rolling Stones is now available to pre order and can be shipped anywhere in the world. It contains over 500 fan recollections of seeing the group from their very early days (before Bill & Charlie joined the group) through to Hyde Park in 1969. These are previously unpublished accounts and tell the story of their rise from playing in places like The Red Lion, The Wooden Bridge and The Station Hotel through to appearing on the Ed Sullivan show.

[gottahavebooks.co.uk]

Sounds great !
A nice early Christmas present for myself!

Date: December 2, 2015 16:40

The time the Rolling Stones visited a house in Beeston
By Nottingham Post | Posted: December 02, 2015

Brian Jones pictured at Pauline Silvester's house in Beeston after the Rolling Stones had played a concert in Nottingham

Like most bands of the 60s, the Rolling Stones cut their musical teeth in small clubs, theatres and dance halls around the country. A new book follows the Stones on their earli concert trail, told in the words of those who were there. Andy Smart takes a look...

Musician Martin Osborn rocked up to the Odeon, Nottingham, in 1963, to see the Rolling Stones on a star-packed bill. Having driven from Leicester in those pre-motorway days he arrived a little late.

"Have the Stones been on?" he asked the man on the door. "Yes," was the reply, disappointing Martin and his friends.

Turned out, it wasn't the Rolling Stones they had missed but a Scottish band called The Flintstones.

Martin tells the anecdote in Richard Houghton's fascinating new book You Had To Be There which charts the Rolling Stones's public appearances between 1962-69 through the memories of their fans. The book contains more than 500 eyewitness accounts of the band's very first performances, beginning with pubs and clubs in and around London and culminating in their 1969 Hyde Park show. It also contains previously unreleased photos of the band.

"The Rolling Stones were great as usual," Martin tells the author, "but somewhat overshadowed by Bo Diddley, Little Richard and the Everly Brothers."

The Stones' original line-up of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts and Brian Jones, toured relentlessly after their debut in 1962 until 1967. A two-year live hiatus was then ended in 1969 following the death of Jones

Margaret Audin was 15 when she and two friends went along to the Granada Theatre in Mansfield in January 1964 ... just to get the Stones' autographs.

"We didn't purchase any tickets for the show, but we were hanging about the theatre with lots of others hoping to get a glimpse of the group," she said.

When someone opened up the back doors of the theatre, a herd of young fans charged up the stairs and on to the balcony, just in time to see a surprised Mick Jagger looking up from the stage at all the commotion.

Margaret and her friends were soon ejected, but they did manage to sneak into the Stones' van and pinch a few items of clothing.

"After about ten minutes we felt guilty and decided to take the stuff back," she said.

Thanks to their honesty, the Stones' roadie agreed to take the autograph books backstage, giving the friends a full set of Stones' signatures.

"Unfortunately, many years later my mum and dad threw out my autograph book when moving house."

March 2, 1964, was the date of a memorable Rolling Stones concert in the Albert Hall, Nottingham. Sue Covell (nee Burbridge) was there.

"At that time there was seating at the back of the stage and some fans that were sat (there) ... pulled Charlie Watts off his stool!

"It was a brilliant concert. We had seen The Beatles but this was totally different."

Pauline Silvester's memories of that same show take some beating – three of the Stones finished the evening at her home in Beeston. She told the author: "For many years my late mother was best friends with the mum of Sixties pop star Mike Berry and whenever Mike was performing anywhere near our home in Beeston, he came to stay with his Auntie Joan.

Berry was on that Albert Hall bill with the Stones, Mike Sarne, Jet Harris, Billie Davis and The Paramounts (later to become Procul Harum).

A few days before the gig, he contacted Auntie Joan and asked if he could bring a few friends with him after the show. Auntie Joan was happy to oblige.

Pauline and a friend saw the 'electrifying' concert but the excitement increased when they turned into the cul-de-sac where she lived and saw a horde of people trying to get into her house.

They had got wind of what was happening – Mike Berry's 'few friends' included Jones, Wyman and Watts.

"Whilst they were there, Charlie Watts took a phone call telling him Not Fade Away had just gone to number one in the charts.

"Needless to say ... I was certainly the most popular girl at school the next day."

Ginny Hartman vividly remembers the night and told Bygones: "There was a party held for them in Beeston after the show at my then boyfriend's parents house in Beeston and I was chosen to go to the Albert Hall and ride back to Beeston with them to show them the way. You don't forget something like that!

"So I was in the back of their van with Brian Jones, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman.

"Fans had let down the tyres of the van and were chasing us along Castle Boulevard. I remember us driving on two flat tyres. The air was blue in the van!

"We eventually got to Beeston after a garage stop and also at the party were Mike Berry and his backing group, Mike Sarne, Jet Harris and also the compère of the show, Roddy McDowell. Our old friend Richard Beckinsale was at the party. It was the biggest thing that happened in Beeston for a very long time and it was funny how word spread without Facebook in those days.

"There was soon a big crowd of kids outside, one or two tried climbing up drainpipes to try to gatecrash, and eventually the police had to be called to clear the street. Happy days!"

You Had To Be There! The Rolling Stones Live 1962-6 by Richard Houghton, is published by Gottahavebooks, £17.49.

[www.nottinghampost.com]

Date: January 8, 2016 14:52

Another plug for my book. I've done a Youtube video. At the very least you should give the audio a listen.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 15:42

I just ordered a copy from the official website, you think you can autograph?
Thanks in advance

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1133
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home