Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 17, 2016 02:25

They played 25-28 songs setlists on 1989-90, so more space for new stuff and deep cuts, but with a 18 songs setlist you can't do that.

How about - the band plays just what *they* like
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: April 13, 2016 23:20

Just had this idea one or two years before, forgot it again, but still think, it would be cool:

How about the Stones doing a show where they just play what THEY want, and noone else?

It would be like heaven fo me to see such a show.
No matter what they eventually play - I'm open to anything, I don't know where to draw the line ... hehehe.

But seriously - wouldn't that be just wonderful? Let them play the blues, some Motown things, Swing, ballads, Rock'n'Roll, some jazzy things, just anything they like and just like to play, Stones songs, even, but not nescessarily...

What do you think?

Re: How about - the band plays just what *they* like
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2016 00:21

They like to play their own warhorses. It's easy.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 01:11

^^^That. They DO play what they want. They want/need the rapturous, "Oh shit, this is my favorite!", type of reaction. That's what they (MJ & KR) feed off. That's what keeps the Stones rolling. Not people quietly, appreciatively listening. I know I and a lot of us here would love it, but I don't think the band themselves feel that way (maybe Charlie would, but ...).

Date: April 14, 2016 01:27

I think that these days they play what they like in rehearsals.

That's why there are the songs that have little to no chance of appearing in a stadium concert being played when there is no public audience.

When the modern day audiences become involved,the anticipated reaction is considered.

Also,it seems evident that they no longer want to (or can't at a high level) play 25 songs per night.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: April 14, 2016 17:12

I guess, to a part they play what they like in rehearsals, but not very much. I would think, that they rehearse what they have to rehearse, i.e., the songs the people expect them to play at some gig.

But if they could leave that apart for a time, and just rehearse songs, they themselves love to play, without considering ticket sells or the country they are in at the moment... I think the result would be both surprising and impressive.

For a first, I think we could exclude the warhorses from that particular setlist!
Yes? No? grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 14, 2016 17:29

If they don't play warhorses, nobody will show up.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 14, 2016 18:12

I think they pretty much do that, and always have.

of course there are exceptions that prove the rule..

even if the song has been played countless times I would think they would have stopped long ago if it wasn't fun for them..

therefore they like it..its only rock and roll..

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 18:16

lots of old fashioned soul, and reggae, some blues and country, old gospels etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 18:16 by 1962.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 14, 2016 18:17

Would be great to get a boot of rehearsals. JJF, stops half way, then Brown Sugar. Nice post.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 18:19

An UNCUT (addition CD) exist about Keith's favourites and it's GREAT!!!
Would love to have a Mick compilation!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 18:24 by 1962.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 14, 2016 19:00

I always thought what the band played on the '69 tour interesting. It was a "comeback" tour of sorts and the addition of a new guitarist added a bit of mystery to the whole thing. It opened with one of the band's greatest singles, it tapped and previewed, respectively, the great BB and LIB albums. Hits from the BJ era were ignored. But it was the 2 Berry and blues numbers that I found interesting. Those performances were both a nod to the American roots of the band's music and a brash statement that it was the worthy inheritor of that music. I have always thought it was a carefully chosen setlist meant to make a statement of where the band is now and from where it came. Perhaps because it was my first Stones concert that I remember the feeling that we were looking into the band almost as if we were voyeurs. It was a delicious feeling, much different than a band playing TO YOU. It is hard to explain. But that is why that tour remains my favorite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 19:23 by pmk251.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2016 19:50

the Glimmers are already doing that been doing that forever .Whatever the boss Mick want's to sing the Glimmers play !

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 14, 2016 21:01

Mick is Charlie's singer. Charlie is the boss.

grinning smiley

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 14, 2016 21:38

pmk251
I always thought what the band played on the '69 tour interesting. [...] Perhaps because it was my first Stones concert...

Lucky devil.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2016 22:41

blivet
pmk251
I always thought what the band played on the '69 tour interesting. [...] Perhaps because it was my first Stones concert...

Lucky devil.

Yes, lucky indeed.

As for what they play, I think they take into account what they like, what they feel confident they can play well (and Mick can sing well), and what they know the audience would like to hear. Then Charlie has the final word. cool smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 15, 2016 12:43

I've been saying for years that I want to hear what the band wants to play - in more ways than one:
1] I'm happy to leave the setlists up to them, because trying to make a band play something they don't want to play
just plain doesn't work. And 2] I've proposed this a few times: How about four shows in each venue,
each Stone deciding on the setlist for one show? I'd love that. Everyone would love that! Wouldn't you love that?!

For people who aren't convinced we're now hearing pretty much what Mick wants to perform, there could be a fifth "warhorse" show.

Discuss!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 12:49 by with sssoul.

Re: Anyone Else Stopped Going to Stones Concerts?
Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 23, 2016 15:14

I'm with you on that one Nate!
Unfortunately, in my case, money becomes an issue.
I was lucky enough to catch them twice on the ZipCode, and
they were simply awesome, surprisingly so....Keith is much
improved since his "headache", and Mick is always great...
the others are very dedicated as well. IF, they do announce
some more dates in the USA, I will try as hard as I can to catch one,
Palm Springs is over me head...so to speak.

Nate
I would fly to the other side of the world just to watch them play midnight rambler,I get an electric charge coming up through my body every time I go and see them play.

You can't beat it.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: Anyone Else Stopped Going to Stones Concerts?
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2016 15:23

onestep
I'm with you on that one Nate!
Unfortunately, in my case, money becomes an issue.
I was lucky enough to catch them twice on the ZipCode, and
they were simply awesome, surprisingly so....Keith is much
improved since his "headache", and Mick is always great...
the others are very dedicated as well. IF, they do announce
some more dates in the USA, I will try as hard as I can to catch one,
Palm Springs is over me head...so to speak.

Nate
I would fly to the other side of the world just to watch them play midnight rambler,I get an electric charge coming up through my body every time I go and see them play.

You can't beat it.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Indeed! At this point I think we should stop moaning about the Greatest Hits setlist and just be happy with what they do. In the fall, it will surely be a treat if they just do a couple songs from the new album!

Stones Songs That Don't Work Live - And Those That Do!
Date: May 23, 2016 17:39

My first pick here would be Paint It Black; the studio version just came on and I realized how much I like it more than most live versions. Somehow it loses something onstage, although they did it pretty good in 1989. It needs the electric rhythm guitar you hear in the right channel of the studio version and neither Keith nor Ronnie bothers to do it live. Start Me Up is another one. It needs that crisp guitar sound that often sounds weaker live. Just my opinion....There's a boatload of songs where I feel there are live versions far superior to the studio ones....like SFTD from Ya Ya's!
Gimme Shelter seems hard to duplicate live as well...and Miss You is better from the studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 17:53 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Re: Stones Songs That Don't Work Live - And Those That Do!
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:05

HonkeyTonkFlash
My first pick here would be Paint It Black; the studio version just came on and I realized how much I like it more than most live versions. Somehow it loses something onstage, although they did it pretty good in 1989. It needs the electric rhythm guitar you hear in the right channel of the studio version and neither Keith nor Ronnie bothers to do it live. Start Me Up is another one. It needs that crisp guitar sound that often sounds weaker live. Just my opinion....There's a boatload of songs where I feel there are live versions far superior to the studio ones....like SFTD from Ya Ya's!
Gimme Shelter seems hard to duplicate live as well...and Miss You is better from the studio.

Agree with Paint It Black and GS.

Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
JJF.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:18

Songs that don't work live:
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (Lisa Fischer is great but the guitars just don't work for me)
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Rocks Off

Songs that are better live than studio:
Midnight Rambler
You Got Me Rocking

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:20

out of control is certainly far better live.

she's so cold is horrible live, when compared to the perfection of the studio cut.

Date: May 23, 2016 18:22

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash

Agree with Paint It Black and GS.

Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
JJF.

I thought Brown Sugar was superior onstage, say on Brussels and that era but not later. SFM, I prefer some live versions; the one on Live Licks is great. JJF is one I'll take any live version from 1969 - 1981 over the studio one. From 1989 on, it lost some of it's nastiness onstage.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:23

matxil
Songs that don't work live:
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (Lisa Fischer is great but the guitars just don't work for me)
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Rocks Off

Songs that are better live than studio:
Midnight Rambler
You Got Me Rocking

Great list. I would add Can't you Hear My Knocking as one that they never do well live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 18:24 by stanlove.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:25

Regarding the studio versions I take it...

That work live...

Start Me Up on FLASHPOINT is supreme to the studio version.

Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE is supreme to the studio version.

A version of Shattered from the bootleg SPARKS WILL FLY is exceptional and better than the studio version.

When The Whip Comes Down on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES is better than the studio version, partially because it's a bit faster.

There are more but those popped out easiest.

That don't work live...

Gimme Shelter. I like the version on NO SECURITY and I've heard other fantastic live versions, they simply do not beat the studio version.

Brown Sugar: the version on LIVE LICKS may be the best live version on a live album regarding its performance but the studio version is the definition of rock'n'roll.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking: no explanation needed for this one. Most likely their most brilliant studio recording ever.

Neighbours: live it doesn't have the ease that the studio version has, it's too... something. Forced.

Jumpin' Jack Flash: other than the version on GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! and GIMME SHELTER, which is the best one of all, it's not worked well since, really.

Respectable: as much as it's the filler track on SOME GIRLS live they've just sort of smushed it.

There are more but those come to mind immediately.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:26

i'm going to say something heretical here...satisfaction doesn't work live, or at least, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the original.

for some reason, they feel the need to channel otis redding on this, which is fine, it's a great version, but their version is superior so for the love of god play the better version!

Date: May 23, 2016 18:30

treaclefingers
i'm going to say something heretical here...satisfaction doesn't work live, or at least, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the original.

for some reason, they feel the need to channel otis redding on this, which is fine, it's a great version, but their version is superior so for the love of god play the better version!

I was just thinking the same thing. The studio version just came up on my playlist and I thought, wow they've never really nailed the sound of that live. On some tours I like it though. My favorites were 20 years apart, 1969 & 1989. 1978 and 1981 sounded really horrible, imo.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:35

Under My Thumb. One of my all time favorite songs. Never worked live (for me) unfortunately. I miss the Marimbaphone. And the studio version has a certain groove that is just not there on any live version I have heard so far.

I also like the studio version of Honky Tonk Woman way more than the live version. The studio vesion is sharper and goovier.

Date: May 23, 2016 18:44

Perhaps the question is more one of what is it about live Rolling Stones songs that gets you off? For me, it's when they take it to another level rather than try to recreate what they did in the studio. So, obviously there's a big difference in eras such as the Ya Ya's era, wherein they were known for taking things to a whole other level, as has been mentioned here about Jumping Jack Flash. Then there's Midnight Rambler, Sympathy For The Devil and others of like ilk. In the modern era they are more known for trying to recreate the studio versions, so it's a matter of taste. I prefer the older era, like 1969 - 1981 when their live versions were expected to sound different. Some folks like it better nowadays because the live versions resemble what they have come to know. I preferred it when they weren't afraid to shake things up - the pre-safety net era.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home