Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: DIRTY WORK DeLuxe 2016.
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 17, 2015 02:58

I'll have to chime in here.

I will never understand people's love for this album. I have tried for 25 years to find something that I like about it. Every time I come up with the same conclusion, that "Harlem Shuffle" and "One Hit To The Body" are ok tracks. "Sleep Tonight" and "Had It With You" are decent. But otherwise it's un-melodic agressive tracks, with Jagger yelling lyrics over a pre-recorded backing tracks: "Fight", "Hold Back", "Dirty Work". Or even worse, Stones going 80's style, with two of their worst tracks ever: "Winning Ugly" and "Back To Zero". Then Keith makes a cover of an old tune in "Too Rude", which is not at all impressive.

I have honestly listened to this album even more than others I like better. I have listened to try and figure out what it is that some finds so fantastic about it. I have yet to discover it.

As I hear it, it's their worst and most disfunctional album ever.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 17, 2015 05:46

LeonidP
Olly
GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet

...It's a piece of shit album. Their worst ever.

What an eloquent, detailed analysis.

When something like DIRTY WORK sucks so bad it doesn't need a 10 page thesis about why.

Spare me your platitudinous appeals.

LOL, I'm gonna start posting w/ a thesaurus too.

*** edit ***
Your fatuous infatuation of said DW album is quite discommoding.
(damn, i don't even know what i said!!)

That is most sterlingly hilarious.

Date: August 17, 2015 05:48

Blueranger

I will never understand people's love for this album. I have tried for 25 years to find something that I like about it. Every time I come up with the same conclusion, that "Harlem Shuffle" and "One Hit To The Body" are ok tracks. "Sleep Tonight" and "Had It With You" are decent. But otherwise it's un-melodic agressive tracks, with Jagger yelling lyrics over a pre-recorded backing tracks: "Fight", "Hold Back", "Dirty Work". Or even worse, Stones going 80's style, with two of their worst tracks ever: "Winning Ugly" and "Back To Zero". Then Keith makes a cover of an old tune in "Too Rude", which is not at all impressive.

I have honestly listened to this album even more than others I like better. I have listened to try and figure out what it is that some finds so fantastic about it. I have yet to discover it.

You do have a point - all albums feature vocals over pre-recorded tracks. As in previously, anyway.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 17, 2015 09:22

Blueranger

I will never understand people's love for this album. I have tried for 25 years to find something that I like about it...

You can stop trying to understand it. It's just a select few, trust me, the majority recognize shite when they see/hear it. The reason these posts go on for pages is that the few that like it, think that if they say it is great enough times, they may actually convince people. I can't say why they care that much.

Date: August 17, 2015 09:28

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Olly
GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet

When something like DIRTY WORK sucks so bad it doesn't need a 10 page thesis about why.

*** edit ***

LOL, that dude is a piece of work!

Or should I say ...
That modernized version of a homo erectus specimen is a treasurable virtuosity!!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 17, 2015 09:43

GasLightStreet
Blueranger

You do have a point - all albums feature vocals over pre-recorded tracks. As in previously, anyway.

Indeed. Except that Jagger had something more interesting to say on the other tracks, other than singing about punching people in the face etc.

Date: August 17, 2015 12:41

Blueranger
GasLightStreet
Blueranger

Indeed. Except that Jagger had something more interesting to say on the other tracks, other than singing about punching people in the face etc.

Only Keith can come out of that on two feet. Wait! Those words Mick was singing were written by Keith grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 13:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 17, 2015 12:46

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Olly
GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet

*** edit ***

LOL, that dude is a piece of work!

Or should I say ...
That modernized version of a homo erectus specimen is a treasurable virtuosity!!

u wot??

Olly.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 18, 2015 11:28

keefriffhards
shortfatfanny
To be honest I got to sleep now...work starts early tomorrow.
Will give it another try...promised.

[www.youtube.com]

when your ready

[www.youtube.com]

thanks for the links.never seen that footage before.
those boots are incredible ...

Posted by: randallsdad ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:02

I always preferred this record to the ones on either side, Undercover and Steel Wheels. And here is the Robert Christgau review, which is obviously just one mans opinion, but I note that he loves a lot of the things some people here hate.

The Rolling Stones: Dirty Work (Rolling Stones, 1986) Dreaming of solo glory, Mick doesn't have much time for his band these days--just plugged into his Stones mode and spewed whatever he had to spew, adding lyrics and a few key musical ideas to tracks Ron and Keith completed before the star sullied his consciousness with them. And I say let him express himself elsewhere. For once his lyrics are impulsive and confused, two-faced by habit rather than design, the straightest reports he can offer from the top he's so lonely at, about oppressing and being oppressed rather than geopolitical contradiction. In the three that lead side two, always playing dirty is getting to him, as is his misuse of the jerks and greaseballs and @#$%& and dumb-asses who clean up after him, yet for all his privilege he's another nuclear subject who's got no say over whether he rots or pops even though he'd much prefer the former. Especially together with the hard advice of "Hold Back," these are songs of conscience well-known sons of bitches can get away with. Coproducer Steve Lillywhite combines high-detail arena-rock with back-to-basics commitment and limits the melismatic affectations that have turned so much of Mick's late work in on itself. Let him have his own life and career, I don't care. What I want is the Stones as an idea that belongs to history, that's mine as much as theirs. This is it. A

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:11

Well written review

Date: September 1, 2015 05:24

Turner68
Well written review

Really? The author doesn't say anything.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:31

LeonidP
Turner68
Well written review

He is saying mick has lost his touch but the band can still
Rock.

Date: September 1, 2015 05:32

Turner68
LeonidP
Turner68
Well written review

Rock.

Then why didn't he just say that?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:49

shortfatfanny
keefriffhards
shortfatfanny
To be honest I got to sleep now...work starts early tomorrow.
Will give it another try...promised.

[www.youtube.com]

when your ready

[www.youtube.com]

thanks for the links.never seen that footage before.
those boots are incredible ...

Indeed some ...ahem...interesting stuff there. Thanks.

Posted by: randallsdad ()
Date: September 1, 2015 07:22

I've always loved reading Robert Christgau's reviews. He doesn't do song by song or anything like that and does fall in love with his own writing from time to time but he loves R&R and LOVES the Stones. Everyone here should go to his website and read his Stones reviews from Yaya's to the present. Agree or not they are good reading for the fanatic.

By the way, I think the review says loads and do listen to DW once a year or so, I like the did this in a few days feel.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 1, 2015 20:45

The reason I don't like this record is I find Hold Back, Dirty Work, Back To Zero, and Winning Ugly to be maybe the only truly bad Rolling Stones songs in existence. As in, when I hear them, I really don't like what I hear, period. Bad music. Cheap 80's rock mixed with cheap 80's pop mixed with really %$#* loud drums. And an album with 4 really bad songs on it (and a few others that are borderline) is just not a good album. And for me it was all such a huge disappointment at the time because I liked the single (HS) and its b-side (HIWY), and then that album came and it just didn't sound good. I kept on playing with the knobs on our home stereo to try to reduce those awful drums... and then the sloppy guitars and aggressive (nice word!) barking vocals.. soon I was just turning down the volume until it wasn't playing anymore. Having to go back to the record and constantly lift the needle to skip past these tunes made the album's listening experience unfun.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 1, 2015 21:03

GasLightStreet
Sorry. No. There's no improving a pile of shit other than to make it bigger and smellier.

Haha Gaslight no question it has a couple of really really smelly tracks - but a good cleanse may just be what it needs...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 2, 2015 00:35

HAD IT WITH YOU naysayers.

HAD IT WITH YOU thumbs up is almost as good as VICTOR HUGO.

Can't Cut The Mustard and Knock Yer Teeth Out are also two interesting DIRTY WORK outtakes in this. Both "inspiration" by Ronnie Wood. Like on Hey Negrita.

Date: September 2, 2015 06:52

LeonidP
Turner68
LeonidP
Turner68
Well written review

Rock.

Then why didn't he just say that?

He did! Hilariously! Right here!

randallsdad
The Rolling Stones: Dirty Work (Rolling Stones, 1986) Dreaming of solo glory, Mick doesn't have much time for his band these days--just plugged into his Stones mode and spewed whatever he had to spew, adding lyrics and a few key musical ideas to tracks Ron and Keith completed before the star sullied his consciousness with them. And I say let him express himself elsewhere.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home