Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
DIRTY WORK DeLuxe 2016.
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 27, 2015 00:38

1986...DIRTY WORK...30 years ago next year...

Many IORR's consider this 1986 album one of their weakest.
So do I, but it would make a better and more interesting DELUXE release than STICKY FINGERS De Luxe 2015 and could even sell more copies.

DIRTY WORK DELUXE 2016:

- A NEW COVER - (The black and white close up shot used for promo at the time)

CD 1:
Remixed original album with the 12"inches (Harlem Shuffle, One Hit and Winning Ugly as bonustracks).

CD 2 (for example):
1.ONE HIT (long/early version)
2.STRICTLY MEMPHIS
3.TALK IS CHEAP
4.HARLEM SHUFFLE (long version with Bobby Womack talking lyrics version)
5.VICTOR HUGO
6.HAD IT WITH YOU (long/early version
7.SOME OF US ARE ON OUR KNEES
8.DEEP LOVE
9.CRUSHED PEARL (new 2016 MJ vocal)
10.CAN'T CUT THE MUSTARD (RW vocal)
11.SLEEP TONIGHT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 23:07 by RipThisBone.

Re: DIRTY WORK DeLuxe 2016.
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2015 00:44

Me an Rockman say BRING IT ON .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 27, 2015 02:57

I like it! I'd love to hear some of those unreleased songs tightened up!

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 27, 2015 03:05

Don't forget the Keith song (Baby,) You'r too much.
That has to be on it too, great song!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 03:42

Sorry. No. There's no improving a pile of shit other than to make it bigger and smellier.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:14

GasLightStreet
Sorry. No. There's no improving a pile of shit other than to make it bigger and smellier.

Yupe!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:38

If they ever did a deluxe reissue of this album there would be a slew of 12" single mixes included too don't forget.

Date: July 27, 2015 18:34

If there was ever an album the Stones could delete from their discography it would have to be DIRTY WORK. Or at least change it to an EP:

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:47

GasLightStreet
If there was ever an album the Stones could delete from their discography it would have to be DIRTY WORK. Or at least change it to an EP:

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Why would you exclude the album's opening track?

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:51

GasLightStreet

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

the EP should include Ian Stewart's outro too.

Date: July 27, 2015 18:56

Turner68
GasLightStreet

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

the EP should include Ian Stewart's outro too.

Oh. Well yeah, of course.

Date: July 27, 2015 18:56

Olly
GasLightStreet

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Why would you exclude the album's opening track?

Because it sucks.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:58

Polish a turd ...........its still a turd.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:01

I think most of you don´t like the album for its hard-rocking approach. Maybe you like the Stones smooth and mellow. Maybe in 1985 you were so fascinated with She´s The Boss, that DW as a follow up has disappointed you. Maybe you dont like the Stones at all. DW is a damn fine album and I will never ever understand why so many people hate it and refer to it as shit. Maybe you dont like it because Keith and Ronnie were in charge. Hell, I dont know why.... hating this album is so absurd... Do you expect the Stones sounding like the Bee Gees? I wish Steel Wheels, Voodoo lounge or Bridges would have been half as powerful as Dirty Work. I bet you like Primitive Cool a lot, especially Let´s Work and War Baby... and of course you adore the goddess in the doorway..

Date: July 27, 2015 19:06

HMS
I think most of you don´t like the album for its hard-rocking approach. Maybe you like the Stones smooth and mellow. Maybe in 1985 you were so fascinated with She´s The Boss, that DW as a follow up has disappointed you. Maybe you dont like the Stones at all. DW is a damn fine album and I will never ever understand why so many people hate it and refer to it as shit. Maybe you dont like it because Keith and Ronnie were in charge. Hell, I dont know why.... hating this album is so absurd... Do you expect the Stones sounding like the Bee Gees? I wish Steel Wheels, Voodoo lounge or Bridges would have been half as powerful as Dirty Work. I bet you like Primitive Cool a lot, especially Let´s Work and War Baby... and of course you adore the goddess in the doorway..

i love that it rocks hard. however, the songwriting is pretty awful. that, and the very dated 80s production, is why i think it's one of their worst. has nothing to do with it having lots of guitars and being hard-rocking.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:10

Turner68
...the songwriting is pretty awful. that, and the very dated 80s production, is why i think it's one of their worst.

and I hate the cover too

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:11

More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet

Yupe!

You're both wrong. The finished product (the DW album) darmatically fails to represent these 1985 sessions. There is indeed enough good material to make a 3-cd edition.

But good luck persuading Mick to rework this one = to relive this period of the band's history! grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:12

I think the working name for this project should be You Can't Polish A Turd.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:13

I know I won't make myself popular with this, but apart from One Hit, Sleep Tonight and Harlem Shuffle, from the songs already included on the album, I would also add .... Winning Ugly. Just change the bass, make it a bit dirtier, and it would be great.
All the bootlegs songs you mention I don't know.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:22

Silver Dagger

thumbs up

Not so pessimistic Silver Dagger!
I go for DIRTY WORK DELUXE (We Can Polish A Turd).
I like the idea of a DIRTY WORK DELUXE. The bonus CD with outtakes would be better than the original. That's a first!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 19:25 by OutOfTime.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:52

just because you dont like dirtywork it dosent mean you dont like hard rock.

i love the rolling stones music, and that includes hard rock, i love a lot of the late 60,s rock and the early 1970,s, also some girls and tattoo you, a lot of that stuff is hardrock, but dirtywork is a poor album, the songwriting is embarrasing,jagger snarls through it as if he is giving the impression the band are running on empty creatively, the production is just a noisy mess and the whole album gives the impression it was thrown together with little thought and effort.

its not an album you would want someone to hear if you were trying to get them into the stones.

a deluxe package would work if it left out all the crap on the album. replaced it with the outtakes that could be re recorded differently and songs like sleep tonight, one hit and harlem shuffle given a make over too.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:54

buttons67

i love the rolling stones music, and that includes hard rock, i love a lot of the late 60,s rock and the early 1970,s, also some girls and tattoo you, a lot of that stuff is hardrock, but dirtywork is a poor album, the songwriting is embarrasing,jagger snarls through it as if he is giving the impression the band are running on empty creatively, the production is just a noisy mess and the whole album gives the impression it was thrown together with little thought and effort.

its not an album you would want someone to hear if you were trying to get them into the stones.

a deluxe package would work if it left out all the crap on the album. replaced it with the outtakes that could be re recorded differently and songs like sleep tonight, one hit and harlem shuffle given a make over too.

What would this involve, buttons67?

Olly.

Date: July 27, 2015 20:05

Olly
buttons67

What would this involve, buttons67?

a complete re-mix and edit of the songs, would be my vote. probalby no need to re do the songs, but the production was horrible on this album.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:12

Of course, saying people don't like Dirty Work because it's too "hard rock" is a rather silly thing to say.
What's so hard-rock about "Back To Zero" (to mention the worst song they ever did ever) or "Too Rude", or "Winning Ugly" (which I like, but the rest of the world hates), "Harlem Shuffle" or "Sleep Tonight"? The only song maybe "hard-rock" is "Fight", if for you "hard-rock" means just slamming chords and screaming something on top of it in a fake growling voice.

The reason most people hate this album is:
- The production is terrible, especially the drums, the bass and the keyboards
- The songs are lazy song-writing ("Back To Zero", "Don't Hold Back", "Fight" are the typical examples)
- There is no groove in most songs, which is a deadly sin on a Stones album
- Mick Jagger is pretending to be very angry about something but it sounds fake.
- It has "Back To Zero" on it.
- And "Don't Hold Back".

Having said all that, over the years, the album becomes slightly more listenable for two reasons:
- There are a few (2 - 5 at most) songs on it which are ok to (very) good (One Hit).
- At least they tried some kind of "adventure", doing something "different", which is more than you can say about most of the stuff they did afterwards (apart from some of Keith's solo stuff)

Date: July 27, 2015 20:13

matxil
(snip)

The reason most people hate this album is:
- The production is terrible, especially the drums, the bass and the keyboards
- The songs are lazy song-writing ("Back To Zero", "Don't Hold Back", "Fight" are the typical examples)
- There is no groove in most songs, which is a deadly sin on a Stones album
- Mick Jagger is pretending to be very angry about something but it sounds fake.
- It has "Back To Zero" on it.
- And "Don't Hold Back".

(snip)

Brilliant analysis. We need to remember this for when Dandelion does "Album Talk" for "Dirty Work". It summarizes the album perfectly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 20:14 by Turner68.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:29

hi friends,
i agree, and maybe DW has the best outtakes waiting in the vaults ....

before the new RS after Bill .... but these months are for tattoo outtakes ???

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:30

2000man
Turner68
...the songwriting is pretty awful. that, and the very dated 80s production, is why i think it's one of their worst.

and I hate the cover too

So have a look:

and

2016, we'll see .... cool smiley

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:59

Silver Dagger

lipstick on a pig

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 27, 2015 22:05

Have a look at the title: "Dirty Work". This is exactly what you get. It is rough,raw and edgy. The songs are simple and straight forward. And it is surely not a good example for "horrible 80ies production". Compared to Tina Turner´s or David Bowie´s terrible 80ies efforts DW is almost old-fashioned production-wise. I think it is well produced, the use of keyboards is minimal for an 80ies album, only Winning Ugly and Back To Zero are typical 80ies, but Winning Ugly is still great, what a marvelous bass-line. Back To Zero grows with every listening, the bridge is irresistable. One Hit is exceptionally good and so are those fine little dirty rockers Had It With You and Dirty Work. Hold Back and Fight are not the most melodious songs the Stones ever wrote but are full of energy and kick ass. Too Rude is a fine example for Keith adopting Reggae. Harlem Shuffle knocks me out and Keith has his shining moment with a beautiful ballad. And I have to admit that I like Mick´s angry vocals a lot. He sounds so bold and full of energy. Me personally don´t think we will ever get an expanded version of Dirty Work, unfortunately it is very under-rated and under-rated albums usually do not get a deluxe-treatment. Finally what´s wrong with the cover? We have got dirty toilets and a parade of freaks on Stones-Covers, here we got a photo of the band wearing bright-colored clothes, nothing exceptional horrible to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 22:10 by HMS.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 27, 2015 22:34

HighwireC
2000man
Turner68

and I hate the cover too

So have a look:

and

2016, we'll see .... cool smiley

thumbs up smileys with beer.
Yes I started this post saying the original cover had to be changed for a DELUXE 2016 version.

thumbs up OutOfTime:
"Not so pessimistic Silver Dagger!
I go for DIRTY WORK DELUXE (We Can Polish A Turd).
I like the idea of a DIRTY WORK DELUXE. The bonus CD with outtakes would be better than the original. That's a first"!

thumbs up matxil:
"I know I won't make myself popular with this, but apart from One Hit, Sleep Tonight and Harlem Shuffle, from the songs already included on the album, I would also add .... Winning Ugly. Just change the bass, make it a bit dirtier, and it would be great.
All the bootlegs songs you mention I don't know".

thumbs up dcba:
"The finished product (the DW album) darmatically fails to represent these 1985 sessions. There is indeed enough good material to make a 3-cd edition.

But good luck persuading Mick to rework this one = to relive this period of the band's history"!

................................................................................
Thanks for input everybody!

All Deluxes re-issues(Exile, Some Girls and Sticky Fingers) were based on their most known and best selling studio albums. STICKY FINGERS DELUXE the least interesting and selling the least.
A DIRTY WORK DELUXE will sell a lot more to people/fans (who don't know anything about the original album, let alone the leftovers from the 85-86 sessions).
Some good reasons for Mick and Keith to relive DIRTY WORK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 22:39 by RipThisBone.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home