Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Warhorses as of 2015
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:00

This is, I think, the relevant list of warhorses as of 2015 (sorry Gaslightstreet if it's the same as yours, I didn't look at earlier postings). Which means that songs from this list will make up for 80-90 percent of the setlist on any given concert night. What I'm hoping for is that they ditched some of the warhorses to make a setlist consisting of, maybe, 50-60 percent warhorses. But, yeah, I know that is not going to happen...

1) Satisfaction 2) JJ Flash 3) Brown Sugar 4) Start Me Up 5) Midnight Rambler 6) Tumbling Dice 7) Honky Tonk Women 8) Gimme Shelter
9) Sympathy for the Devil 10) You can't always Get What You Want 11) Miss You 12) Happy 13) Before They Make Me Run 14) It's only R&R
15) You Got Me Rocking 16) Wild Horses 17) Paint it Black

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:53

Stoneage
This is, I think, the relevant list of warhorses as of 2015 (sorry Gaslightstreet if it's the same as yours, I didn't look at earlier postings).

It really was a joke, the one I quoted of yours, hence the 'oh you added Wild Horses' and the running of arrange/rearrange. It's funny. There are only so many, right? Mostly the same ones...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 17:54 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:37

Stoneage
This is, I think, the relevant list of warhorses as of 2015 (sorry Gaslightstreet if it's the same as yours, I didn't look at earlier postings). Which means that songs from this list will make up for 80-90 percent of the setlist on any given concert night. What I'm hoping for is that they ditched some of the warhorses to make a setlist consisting of, maybe, 50-60 percent warhorses. But, yeah, I know that is not going to happen...

1) Satisfaction 2) JJ Flash 3) Brown Sugar 4) Start Me Up 5) Midnight Rambler 6) Tumbling Dice 7) Honky Tonk Women 8) Gimme Shelter
9) Sympathy for the Devil 10) You can't always Get What You Want 11) Miss You 12) Happy 13) Before They Make Me Run 14) It's only R&R
15) You Got Me Rocking 16) Wild Horses 17) Paint it Black

I disagree. Below are the statistics regarding how frequently the songs highlighted above were played in 2015:

- 'You Got Me Rocking': 2 (+ 1 at the Belly Up Tavern)
- 'Wild Horses': 6 (+ 1 at the Fonda Theatre)
- 'Paint It, Black': 2

Perhaps they are 'warhorses' by association, in that they are songs you are not surprised to hear even if you hear them infrequently.

This depends on your definition of 'warhorse'; does the term correlate directly with frequency of performance? If so, different songs may need to be included. In 2015, 'Out of Control' has been performed twice as many times as 'Paint It, Black'.

'Paint It, Black' has not been performed as frequently as may be imagined: it didn't feature in any setlist for twenty-two years between performances in 1967 and 1989; nor did it feature on the Voodoo Lounge Tour, or at any show in 1997 or 2002.

Olly.

Date: July 27, 2015 18:42

YGMR has been played on every tour since 1994, which makes it a new warhorse.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:17

To me a Warhorse is a song played at over 90% of all shows since 2012. I think my original list meets the criteria.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:32

GasLightStreet

No, it just means it's one of the main songs they like to rotate in to prove that they aren't a 60's/70's Rolling Stones cover band.

Date: July 27, 2015 20:05

GasLightStreet

Can a song that has been played twice during 15-date tour be considered a 'warhorse'?

Olly.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 27, 2015 21:15

No

Date: July 27, 2015 21:35

For the US part of the tour they ran right at 19 songs a night.
According to the link below they played 46 different songs.

[www.setlist.fm]

I do agree with the OP that warhorses dominated the setlist, that is just the price we pay I guess to draw in the big crowds.

If you look at the 17 dates and figure that 80% of the songs were warhorses that works out to be 15 warhorses a night, or 15 out of 19 for you math types. '

So which songs got played 15 times or more on the Zip Code tour?

Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy for the Devil
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Before They Make Me Run

That leaves 4 songs to surprise us with each night, take out one for fan vote and that leaves only 3 surprises a night.
For the Atlanta show I got Some Girls.
In Raleigh I got Shine A Light so money well spent.

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 21:35 by MidnightDevilRambler.

Date: July 27, 2015 21:45

MidnightDevilRambler,

'Happy' would be an anomaly in that it wasn't played on the Tour's opening night, but was played at all fourteen shows thereafter. So potentially one more 'warhorse' to add to your list, unless a 'warhorse' has to be played every night of a tour.

Olly.

Date: July 27, 2015 22:12

Olly
GasLightStreet

Can a song that has been played twice during 15-date tour be considered a 'warhorse'?

Yes. Surely a "warhorse" isn't formed after 15 gigs or one tour. We are talking about a longer perspective that that. A couple of tours or a couple of decades.
In that respect "Doom and Gloom" still shouldn't be considered a warhorse even though it has been played on almost every gig since 2012.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:27

I don't know that Rambler was quite the warhorse until '05 or so, just cuz i remember so many shows from the '90s where they didn't play it. Anyway, I would keep YCAGWYW there. I'm tired of it myself, but I get enjoyment out of seeing others enjoy the hell out of it. If Ronnie puts in a good solo it's icing on the cake.

Date: July 28, 2015 02:34

Olly
GasLightStreet

Date: July 28, 2015 02:37

The 12-12-12 show... they played YGMR?

WHY!!!??

Unforgivable.

So may better songs and they play a goddamn turd of a song.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:14

GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet

It would have been impossible for you to have contributed less to the existing discussion.

Olly.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:53

Olly
GasLightStreet
Olly
GasLightStreet

It would have been impossible for you to have contributed less to the existing discussion.

If you would stick to the facts then you wouldn't need to post such unnecessary posts as "Can a song that has been played twice during 15-date tour be considered a 'warhorse'?".

Date: July 28, 2015 04:37

"You Got Me Rocking" was a definite warhorse of the '94 to '06 era. Almost every show seemingly besides a lighter rotation in '97.

It really picked up steam in '99 but,eventually at some point in '06 (or was it '07 ?) they FINALLY started to ease up on it. Maybe partly because of the outrage on sites like this one after it was brought back in heavy rotation for at least the first half of the 'A Bigger Bang Tour'.

"Street Fighting Man" kind of falls into the same category of "former" warhorses. Only it is a much better song.

I could pick at least a dozen,maybe more,modern songs that I would rather hear. I don't think that many of them should become warhorses but,they should play NO LESS than 2 of them per concert.

Date: July 28, 2015 04:51

GasLightStreet

If you would stick to the facts then you wouldn't need to post such unnecessary posts as "Can a song that has been played twice during 15-date tour be considered a 'warhorse'?".

What facts?

Olly.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 28, 2015 05:50

I realize the reality of the situation and I generally agree with the above lists that check-in around 14-15 songs. But in my (minority?) view, The Rolling Stones have only three 100% must-play-at-every-show songs: Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, and Brown Sugar. All of the rest should be rotated. I can't see anyone going home disappointed as long as they've heard those three songs. That's probably all a lot of the casual fans remember about a show as it is.

Date: July 28, 2015 06:07

Roscoe
I realize the reality of the situation and I generally agree with the above lists that check-in around 14-15 songs. But in my (minority?) view, The Rolling Stones have only three 100% must-play-at-every-show songs: Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, and Brown Sugar. All of the rest should be rotated. I can't see anyone going home disappointed as long as they've heard those three songs. That's probably all a lot of the casual fans remember about a show as it is.

Brown sugar is overrated IMO. I think start me up is more popular with concert goers (ie casual fans).

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 28, 2015 07:03

Open with Highwire, that would be a cool shocker. Close with Let it Rock as the encore.

Maximum four warhorsese in between.

That leaves a lot of room to fill in the blanks.

2000 Man (as a rocker)
Whip comes down
Child of the moon
Crazy mama
Dancing girls
Hand of fate
Heart of stone
Heartbreaker
Hot stuff
If you really want to be my friend
I'm free
I'm moving on
Jump on top of me
Jiving sister fanny
I'm going down
Let me go
Luxury
Live with me
Loving cup
Mercy, mercy
Mona
Monkey man
Out of time
Parachute woman
Rip this joint
Saint of me
Salt of the earth
She was hot
Shine a light (Lisa)
Silver train
Sparks will fly
Too much blood
Torn and frayed

You get the idea. It would be a mind blowing show!

Sadly, the right time frame for doing this would have been the 1983-1988 stretch.

Date: July 28, 2015 16:20

Stoneage
Olly
GasLightStreet

Yes. Surely a "warhorse" isn't formed after 15 gigs or one tour. We are talking about a longer perspective that that. A couple of tours or a couple of decades.
In that respect "Doom and Gloom" still shouldn't be considered a warhorse even though it has been played on almost every gig since 2012.

Stoneage,

You would be right overall but the OP specifically targeted the question to Warhorses on the 2015 tour, not the Stones touring historywinking smiley

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: July 28, 2015 18:17

MidnightDevilRambler
Stoneage
Olly
GasLightStreet

Stoneage,

You would be right overall but the OP specifically targeted the question to Warhorses on the 2015 tour, not the Stones touring historywinking smiley

no, it just said "as of 2015".

the term warhorse was used by keith first i believe, where he talked about how when they go on tour they "dust off the old warhorses" to play.

"i'm free" did not become a warhorse just because they played it at almost every show on the '69 tour.

YGMR was hardly played at all on the 2015 tour, so even with your framing, it still isn't a war horse.

Date: July 28, 2015 18:46

Well, there is a list on the net about this. I don't know how reliable it is but here it is: [www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 29, 2015 04:05

YGMR absolutely is a modern era Warhorse. The ONLY other modern era song that comes remotely close is OOC, and it is a distant second.

Date: July 29, 2015 16:42

Turner68
MidnightDevilRambler
Stoneage
Olly
GasLightStreet

Stoneage,

no, it just said "as of 2015".

the term warhorse was used by keith first i believe, where he talked about how when they go on tour they "dust off the old warhorses" to play.

"i'm free" did not become a warhorse just because they played it at almost every show on the '69 tour.

YGMR was hardly played at all on the 2015 tour, so even with your framing, it still isn't a war horse.
\

Stoneage,

I can do numbers all day, no problem. Try this "framing" from Setlist.fm

[www.setlist.fm]

Of the 1922 performances of 305 different songs played in concert since 1962 YGMR comes in at #15 with 444 plays. That my friend is a "modern day warhorse" if I have ever heard one.

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: July 29, 2015 17:33

I think you are confusing me with Turner68 here, MDR!

Date: July 30, 2015 04:37

Olly
GasLightStreet

What facts?

Warhorse facts. Come one man, keep up.

Posted by: hanc247 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 02:30

I've wanted Sympathy out because since like '98, I don't think he's played a decent solo on that song. It's like three notes, a couple bends, and then he rests for 3 measures and does it again. Just cut it please

Date: August 2, 2015 05:50

Stoneage
I think you are confusing me with Turner68 here, MDR!

Thanks for the clarification.thumbs up
Sorry about that. The nested quotes can get a bit confusing.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home